Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   M25 Protesters Face Prison: Injunction issued (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710393)

Mick 22-09-2021 11:05

M25 Protesters Face Prison: Injunction issued

BREAKING: M25 Protesters from Insulate Britain, face going to prison, after Highways agency was granted an Injunction by a court judge, ordering them to stay off the motorway.

These eco terrorists have been very stupid lately, stopping traffic doing 70mph across all lanes and sitting down, on a live motorway of the M25.

https://news.sky.com/story/injunctio...tence-12414206

Mr K 22-09-2021 11:14

Re: M25 Protesters Face Prison: Injunction issued

Since when has anybody been able to do 70mph on the M25? The fact it is jammed a lot of time, might mean the protestors have a point.

Unfortunately quiet protests/petitions are ignored and ridiculed, this gets the headlines.

Mick 22-09-2021 11:20

Insulate Britain’s protests should definitely be ridiculed, stopping live traffic, potentially causing a pile up, preventing people getting to appointments, stopping ambulances getting to people, who are on the verge of death. Yes they ought to be bloody ridiculed.

Halcyon 22-09-2021 11:26

Silly protestors that cause more problems than good. Throw the book at them.

tweetiepooh 22-09-2021 11:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36093973)
Since when has anybody been able to do 70mph on the M25? The fact it is jammed a lot of time, might mean the protestors have a point.

Unfortunately quiet protests/petitions are ignored and ridiculed, this gets the headlines.

Thought their point was to increase insulation in homes and properties -> lower fuel use at home. I understand they want to make a visible statement and that quiet protests are ignored but moving into live traffic on a busy motorway repeatedly isn't going to win favours.
They needed to be more varied and move protests around else they miss the headline they really want. Think guerrilla tactics, change often, skip days, protest in different places nationally. Be inventive and disrupt as little as possible - you want support not just to make a point.

Yes we do need to sort out transport especially the "infernal combustion engine" (see Harry Harrison - Stainless Steel Rat). Work from home really helped and business should keep that going. They should move hours around so avoiding "rush hour(s)".

Maggy 22-09-2021 12:29

Or maybe they should encourage people working from home where possible?Now is the time to reinforce that idea.Also encourage more freight onto trains?

Pierre 22-09-2021 12:38

not sure why an injunction was required, Blocking a public highway is an arrestable offence

Sephiroth 22-09-2021 12:43

Doesn't an injunction have to be served? How will that work?

TheDaddy 22-09-2021 13:01

I'm in two camps on this, when extinction rebellion were being pains it made my life a misery but we as a whole country are in agreement that something meaningful has to be done now and all you get from the government is lip service and kicking it down the road, that notwithstanding I remember how angry I was at the time and how much trouble I had controlling myself back then and think for me a happy balance is going to be them going to prison for a cause most of us believe in

---------- Post added at 13:01 ---------- Previous post was at 13:00 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36093993)
not sure why an injunction was required, Blocking a public highway is an arrestable offence

Yes arrestable but not jailable

Mick 22-09-2021 13:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36093993)

Because, they can be arrested and held for 24 hours and then released, it's been rinse and repeat with some of these IB folk - the Injunction holds more weight in power, because being in contempt of a court order can lead to imprisonment.

TheDaddy 22-09-2021 13:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 36094002)
Because, they can be arrested and held for 24 hours and then released, it's been rinse and repeat with some of these IB folk - the Injunction holds more weight in power, because being in contempt of a court order can lead to imprisonment.

Tbf bail conditions could have been imposed from day 1 like don't go within 2 miles of a motorway but the injunction is more powerful

Sephiroth 22-09-2021 13:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36093994)
Doesn't an injunction have to be served? How will that work?

I've been reading up on this.

The injunction against "PERSONS UNKNOWN" can be found at:

https://highwaysengland.co.uk/media/...r-21-09-21.pdf

Quote:

3. The Claimant shall:
3.1 Place copies of this Order and the Claim Form on the National Highways and Gov.uk website; and

3.2 Send a copy of this Order and the Claim Form to Insulate Britain’s email address:
Insulate Britain ring2021@protonmail.com.

4. For the avoidance of doubt, compliance with paragraph 3 shall not constitute service.
The legal Practice Direction §7.4 states (among other provisions):

https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/pr...t25/pd_part25a

Quote:

(1) the order must be served personally by the Supervising Solicitor, unless the court otherwise orders, and must be accompanied by the evidence in support and any documents capable of being copied, .....
How is the injunction to be served to persons unknown who can dodge, weave, swap the next day for others, etc?

papa smurf 22-09-2021 18:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36094007)
I've been reading up on this.

The injunction against "PERSONS UNKNOWN" can be found at:

https://highwaysengland.co.uk/media/...r-21-09-21.pdf

The legal Practice Direction §7.4 states (among other provisions):

https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/pr...t25/pd_part25a

How is the injunction to be served to persons unknown who can dodge, weave, swap the next day for others, etc?

with a good hard crack around the head, followed by a good kicking.

Carth 22-09-2021 21:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36094038)
with a good hard crack around the head, followed by a good kicking.

. . . and swipe their pocket money too ;)

papa smurf 22-09-2021 21:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36094062)
. . . and swipe their pocket money too ;)

nick their bus passes.

Sephiroth 22-09-2021 22:03

So, anyone know how the injunction would be served?

Tomorrow could be fun.

TheDaddy 22-09-2021 22:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36094076)
So, anyone know how the injunction would be served?

Tomorrow could be fun.

It'll be served when they try and get on I'd imagine, it's to deter them from coming back, either way don't get hung up on it, I suspect this might be in it's death throes now

Paul 22-09-2021 22:46

If they sit in the middle of the M25, death is a distinct possibility.

Sephiroth 23-09-2021 08:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 36094080)
It'll be served when they try and get on I'd imagine, it's to deter them from coming back, either way don't get hung up on it, I suspect this might be in it's death throes now

It has to be served personally to each individual. The Police will need a whole load of copies of the injunction and if the demonstrators outnumber the number of bits of paper, which will take time to serve, the injunction will fail.

spiderplant 23-09-2021 08:44

So this only applies to the M25? Can anyone spot a problem with that?

Hom3r 23-09-2021 21:00

Personally, anyone claiming JSA should be banned for claiming for a year

Paul 23-09-2021 21:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 36094200)
Personally, anyone claiming JSA should be banned for claiming for a year

You mean protesters right ? not anyone claiming JSA.

Carth 23-09-2021 23:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36094217)

Oh I don't know . . . it's worth a go at least :D

1andrew1 23-09-2021 23:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36094096)
It has to be served personally to each individual. The Police will need a whole load of copies of the injunction and if the demonstrators outnumber the number of bits of paper, which will take time to serve, the injunction will fail.

I'm sure if they ask Prince Andrew's advisers nicely, they'll receive some advanced tips on how to avoid injunctions being served on them. ;)

---------- Post added at 23:55 ---------- Previous post was at 23:52 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36094255)
Oh I don't know . . . it's worth a go at least :D

:D

Mick 24-09-2021 10:36

BREAKING: Police have this morning, arrested nearly 40 Insulate Britain eco terrorists who blockaded the entrance at the Port of Dover.

Mr K 24-09-2021 11:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 36094284)
BREAKING: Police have this morning, arrested nearly 40 Insulate Britain eco terrorists who blockaded the entrance at the Port of Dover.

Terrorists ? Really? No weapons, just seem to be sitting in the road. Don't really look like member of al-qaeda.... Sad day if we label peaceful protestors as terrorists, whether you agree with them or not.

I've added a link as you forgot....
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-58676610

TheDaddy 24-09-2021 11:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36094290)
Terrorists ? Really? No weapons, just seem to be sitting in the road. Don't really look like member of al-qaeda.... Sad day if we label peaceful protestors as terrorists, whether you agree with them or not.

There's degrees of terrorism, they make innocent peoples lives a misery with politically motivated events designed to get media attention to further their cause and whilst I wouldn't call them terrorists myself I'm not going to criticise anyone else for labeling them such and let's not kid ourselves that these berks haven't caused people's deaths because they have and when pulled up on it they sounded just like the apologist **** that used to speak up for the ira regretting the loss of innocent life

Mick 24-09-2021 11:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36094290)

What is sad is you supporting and attempting to justify these idiots.

Their cretinous actions are nothing short of terrorism. They’re trying to hold ordinary people “hostage”, not letting them go their ordinary way life and trying to blackmail the government and now they’re deliberately trying to stop imports in to the country. Absolute bunch of pricks.

TheDaddy 24-09-2021 12:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 36094293)
What is sad is you supporting and attempting to justify these idiots.

Their cretinous actions are nothing short of terrorism. They’re trying to hold ordinary people “hostage”, not letting them go their ordinary way life and trying to blackmail the government and now they’re deliberately trying to stop imports in to the country. Absolute bunch of pricks.

I support their cause and I'd even respect them if they went to Whitehall and glued themselves to the railings outside Parliament or stuck their faces to the road by downing Street but they won't because they know they'd be carted of before the first photo was snapped, they can't impact the lives of the important people that matter so the ordinary people have to suffer instead

heero_yuy 24-09-2021 13:41

Quote:

Quote from The Sun: ECO-WARRIORS could face jail if they block the Port of Dover again as ministers seek another High Court injunction, the Sun has been told.

Crusties from the Insulate Britain group formed a human barricade on the A20 this morning to prevent lorries entering the vital trade hub.

Government insiders said ministers will once again seek a judge's ruling to throw the protesters behind bars for blocking the road.

A senior source said: "It's totally irresponsible for these protesters to try to cripple a vital trade route at a time when the nation is already facing difficulties with deliveries."

They added that the Government were preparing an application and could submit it today.
No doubt they'll just move on to another port.

tweetiepooh 24-09-2021 13:55

Again they need to be more guerilla minded. Turn up, cause some disruption, make a point then move on quickly, maybe before the police arrive and certainly before they arrive in numbers. Would be ironic if they delayed shipment of insulating materials.

They could get creative and turn up somewhere and offer to insulate a property.

heero_yuy 24-09-2021 14:21

Well they're on a hiding to nothing if they think that they can blackmail El Gov. into insulating 17+ million homes at the tax payers expense.

Many homes are not suitable for certain types of insulation anyway as those left with horrendous rising damp and mould issues can testify.

Hom3r 24-09-2021 14:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36094217)

So you are saying that they are either retired, or fully employed and that no one is claiming benefits?

Paul 24-09-2021 15:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 36094310)
So you are saying that they are either retired, or fully employed and that no one is claiming benefits?

What :confused:

Hom3r 24-09-2021 17:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36094314)
What :confused:

Sorry I misread your comment, yes I meant any protestors claiming JSA should be banned from claiming it.

Plus those throwing paint and supergluing themselves to stuff should have criminal damage to their crimes

Mick 24-09-2021 20:21

BREAKING: Transport Secretary, Grant Shapps in the last hour has tweeted to say the government has been granted an interim injunction against Insulate Britain that prevents them from blocking the port of Dover and the A20 and strategic roads and access around it.

Quote:

NEW: Injunction granted. The actions of protesters blocking our ports and critical roads is completely unacceptable - which is why I’ve taken out a further injunction covering the A20 and associated strategic routes to
@Port_of_Dover
@pritipatel

Mr K 24-09-2021 21:40

The minister has sent a tweet.... He's paid a lot to do that. Maybe Grant should get an HGV licence and earn his money?

Mick 27-09-2021 09:12

BREAKING: Eco Terrorists: Insulate Britain defy M25 Injunction by targeting Junction 14 near Heathrow Airport.

Carth 27-09-2021 09:59

Just seen that on the news Mick, a report about the climate protesters concerns, followed by a report on the La Palma volcano that's set to keep spewing crap out for the next 3 months . . . wonderful continuity :D

Hom3r 27-09-2021 12:36

Cops should take them straight to court, then jail.

TheDaddy 02-10-2021 17:20

See they've blockaded a small airfield now where private planes fly from, this might be a better use of their time as private jets much do exponentially more damage than pretty much anything else, unless they're going to glue themselves to an active volcano of course mind you that icelandic one did far more good for the environment than damage iirc

Carth 02-10-2021 17:45

We could do with another Krakatoa (looks sideways at Yellowstone), that would sort things out for a few years :D

heero_yuy 02-10-2021 17:50

Yellowstone goes off every 600,000 years and is overdue at the moment. :erm:

Hom3r 02-10-2021 18:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36095549)
We could do with another Krakatoa (looks sideways at Yellowstone), that would sort things out for a few years :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 36095550)
Yellowstone goes off every 600,000 years and is overdue at the moment. :erm:

If Yellowstone blows, climate change will be a major issue, as temperatures will plummet due to the ash cloud.

Then there will be the 20,000,000 Americans in the area vapourised.

Air travel will be grounded for years, as will holidays in the sun as there won't be any, the ash cloud will see to that.

TheDaddy 02-10-2021 18:55

Or just another ekkkjarharthkkkaaarrtyreric would do, might have pumped oh let's make some figures up 3 million tons of carbon into the atmosphere but the months it took to get planes airborne again saved 30 million tons, not sure of the figures but they were big and basically the volcano was of net benefit by 90% in carbon release terms, that would do, no need to wipe America out or anything drastic just another ekkkj or whatever that thing was called

Hom3r 04-10-2021 10:58

They're at it again this morning.

Why ain't they being sent to prison and fined like it said?

papa smurf 04-10-2021 11:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 36095741)
They're at it again this morning.

Why ain't they being sent to prison and fined like it said?

no law and order in this country.

Hom3r 04-10-2021 12:11

They are pure 100% ****, they refused to move to let an ambulance past.

Some motorists have been seen removing them, I got a 7-day ban on FB for saying keep the traffic flowing, if they get hurt tough.

Taf 04-10-2021 16:34

1 Attachment(s)
During a radio interview, this is how the "brains" behind these protests responded to a question.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-protests.html

Mad Max 05-10-2021 18:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 36095789)
During a radio interview, this is how the "brains" behind these protests responded to a question.

He's an ******** that needs a good hiding!

Hugh 05-10-2021 19:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 36095789)

Moron

Hom3r 13-10-2021 17:00

Yesterday these idiots burnt the injunction and yet again blocking and damaging the public highway.

Give them all 6 months for each office and make it consecutive, serve one then start the next etc.

Then heavily fine them.

Carth 13-10-2021 17:58

Easier and cheaper if the police warn them about the dangers of encroaching onto a busy road and then walk away.

Just let the frustrated drivers deal with them, a good rainfall and local wildlife will clear most of the resulting mess up :D

Sephiroth 13-10-2021 18:43

Nah - those nutters will sit out the rain.

papa smurf 13-10-2021 18:47

If another driver runs over and kills one can i take it home as road kill meat.

Pierre 13-10-2021 18:49

I hope they get banged up, they don’t serve Waitrose Cous Cous in the scrubs.

Carth 13-10-2021 18:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36097303)

Take 4 or 5 home, mix n match the parts, tie to a strong table and wait for a thunderstorm with great lightening bolts :D

TheDaddy 13-10-2021 19:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36097305)
I hope they get banged up, they don’t serve Waitrose Cous Cous in the scrubs.

Imagine them in there, talk about fresh meat...

OLD BOY 13-10-2021 19:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36097303)

I wouldn’t if I were you. You don’t know where it’s been.

Mad Max 13-10-2021 19:43

He obviously didn't have much influence in their household...:erm:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/163903...ried-tfl-boss/

Hom3r 14-10-2021 13:33

They've suspended blockades until the 25th.

So then expect major issues.

We should clear court dates and take them directly to court and the jail, with massive fines (£1,000 for first offence then doubled every time thereafter.)

Damien 14-10-2021 17:16

I think they want to be arrested to make it look bad for the Government ahead of COP26.

Making them look rather pathetic instead is probably worth it even if it's disrupting some people.

heero_yuy 14-10-2021 17:36

Just shows that a court injunction isn't worth the paper its printed on if there's no enforcement

Mad Max 14-10-2021 17:40

Police should drag these numbskulls to the barriers and handcuff them to the barriers and leave them to stew overnight! Presumably, they will insulate themselves!

Hom3r 29-10-2021 10:00

These *******s are ignoring the law.

Why are they not being fined and sent to prison.

What haulage firms need to do is get together and sue IB for loss of earnings.

But sadly, this country allows yet again the minority to screw us all.

Carth 29-10-2021 10:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 36099168)
These *******s are ignoring the law.

Why are they not being fined and sent to prison.

What haulage firms need to do is get together and sue IB for loss of earnings.

But sadly, this country allows yet again the minority to screw us all.

It's like terrorism without the bombs & bullets. I'd name and shame the lot, publish addresses too so disgruntled people can go camp in their driveways :D

Hugh 29-10-2021 10:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36099176)
It's like terrorism without the bombs & bullets. I'd name and shame the lot, publish addresses too so disgruntled people can go camp in their driveways :D

That’s like saying "having an argument with someone is like murder without the killing"… ;)

It’s protesting - I don’t agree with them, but we (at this time) have the freedom to protest.

Hom3r 29-10-2021 10:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36099177)
That’s like saying "having an argument with someone is like murder without the killing"… ;)

It’s protesting - I don’t agree with them, but we (at this time) have the freedom to protest.

Yes they do, but not by blocking the road network.

Carth 29-10-2021 10:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 36099180)
Yes they do, but not by blocking the road network.

Too right, I'd much prefer it if they tied themselves to high speed rail tracks . . . in the French half of the channel tunnel preferably

Hom3r 29-10-2021 10:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36099182)
Too right, I'd much prefer it if they tied themselves to high-speed rail tracks . . . in the Channel Tunnel preferably

I suggested something similar on Farcebook, and was given a 7-day ban.

Carth 29-10-2021 10:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 36099183)
I suggested something similar on Farcebook, and was given a 7-day ban.

That figures, you probably contravened rule 318/B . . that says free speech is allowed as long as you do it quietly while sitting in the middle of the M25

Pierre 29-10-2021 10:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36099177)

Words are violence nowadays though!

Quote:

They have the right to protest, they don't have the right to block the highway which is an arrestable offence. So instead of protecting them the police should be arresting them.

Do you think if this was "Britain First" that they would be allowed to get away with what they are doing.

If you want to see white middle class privilege in action..........there it is.

Maggy 29-10-2021 11:06

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-eng...shire-59084166

That was a far better target.

nomadking 29-10-2021 11:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy (Post 36099189)

Quote:

British Olympian Etienne Stott joined environmental protesters to block the entry of Fawley oil refinery. The gold medal canoeist said he felt "compelled" to join the protest and "use his voice".
Typical hypocrisy of someone whose life revolves around an activity that not only serves little purpose, but involves travelling around the world for that pointless activity.

Maggy 29-10-2021 11:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36099191)
Typical hypocrisy of someone whose life revolves around an activity that not only serves little purpose, but involves travelling around the world for that pointless activity.

Missed the point again. It's the target not the protestor I'm referring to.:rolleyes:

nomadking 29-10-2021 11:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy (Post 36099193)
Missed the point again. It's the target not the protestor I'm referring to.:rolleyes:

Still requires fuels for him to travel around in order to carry out a pointless profession. Probably eats a lot of soya based food which has to be transported across the Atlantic. Low carbon footpoint, it isn't.

Even excluding fuels, we can't do with plastics. Just look around and see how they are everywhere and to a large extent can't easily(if at all) be replaced.

Carth 29-10-2021 11:47

That's true, oil and its derivatives do a lot more than just make fuel.

Plastics have become more of an annoyance than a necessity, I long ago got fed up fighting with the plastic wrapping on items.

nomadking 29-10-2021 12:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36099195)
That's true, oil and its derivatives do a lot more than just make fuel.

Plastics have become more of an annoyance than a necessity, I long ago got fed up fighting with the plastic wrapping on items.

Lot more to the use of plastics than wrapping. Try getting any other material into the range of shapes and lightness of plastics.

Carth 29-10-2021 13:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36099196)
Lot more to the use of plastics than wrapping. Try getting any other material into the range of shapes and lightness of plastics.

Yes I know . . but plastic wrapping :mad:

Sephiroth 29-10-2021 15:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36099219)
Yes I know . . but plastic wrapping :mad:

Keeps the water out, ideal for microwave cooking, ideal for freezing - pretty useful stuff.

Carth 29-10-2021 15:35

Maybe 'wrapping' was the wrong word for me to use . . let's try packaging instead.

example: Buy a new (wet) razor with 3 'free' blades . . you've grown a decent beard before you can get the bugger out of it's protective shell :D

. . yes yes, we know . . sorry . . Topic :p:

Maggy 30-10-2021 09:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36099194)
Still requires fuels for him to travel around in order to carry out a pointless profession. Probably eats a lot of soya based food which has to be transported across the Atlantic. Low carbon footpoint, it isn't.

Even excluding fuels, we can't do with plastics. Just look around and see how they are everywhere and to a large extent can't easily(if at all) be replaced.

Seriously? It's all about him not the oil industry?Not about Fawley Refinery owned by Esso Petroleum Co Ltd? I'm just suggesting that's a better target than gluing yourself to public roads.But of course that went way above your head.