Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   4K : Sky Cinema and Entertainment UHD to launch (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709828)

Tricky Trevor 25-02-2021 09:49

Sky Cinema and Entertainment UHD to launch

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...ema-in-4k.html

daveoc14 25-02-2021 09:55

Re: Sky Cinema and Entertainment UHD to launch

Existing Ultimate Oomph customers have to pay for this. That seems very unfair.

Tricky Trevor 25-02-2021 10:27

It's says it's available to Ultimate Oomph customers at no extra cost

https://www.virginmedia.com/corporat...gh-definition1

daveoc14 25-02-2021 10:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tricky Trevor (Post 36071879)
It's says it's available to Ultimate Oomph customers at no extra cost

https://www.virginmedia.com/corporat...gh-definition1

The link says that NEW customers get it free of charge. I've gone to ondemand and it shows that if I want to watch a uhd movie I have to upgrade.

RobboEdin 25-02-2021 10:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveoc14 (Post 36071881)
The link says that NEW customers get it free of charge. I've gone to ondemand and it shows that if I want to watch a uhd movie I have to upgrade.

For TV 360, I think it requires 4.30 firmware. Don’t know about V6.

lonespeaker 25-02-2021 10:41

Quote:

I'm an existing ultimate oomph subscriber and the 4k movies work for me using on ondemand. Doesn't really help you, but they are free for existing subscribers.

david_w2k 25-02-2021 10:47

Says I need to upgrade when I select UHD movies in on demand. Maybe it depends when you signed up for Ultimate Oomph as does seem to clearly say new customers

devilincarnate 25-02-2021 10:54

Existing oomph customer and my box is only showing sky one in uhd at the moment and it says I need to subscribe

denphone 25-02-2021 10:57

Quote:

Same here.

daveoc14 25-02-2021 10:59

UPDATE---I've just looked at my tv again and it's changed since first thing this morning. It now says I am subscribed to uhd movies and entertainment. I've tried playing a uhd movie and it works.

denphone 25-02-2021 11:03

l just saw this online.

https://www.whathifi.com/us/news/vir...-entertainment

Quote:

The Sky Entertainment and Cinema Ultra HD bolt-on launches today and allows Virgin Media users access to over 1300 TV episodes and 250 films in stunning 4K. That includes Hollywood big-hitters such as Birds of Prey and Twist, and popular shows like The Blacklist and Seal Team.
Quote:

Existing Virgin Media subscribers will need to tack on an extra £6 per month to their direct debit to upgrade to Sky Entertainment and Cinema Ultra HD. You must already have the Sky Cinema addition on your package too.
Quote:

As is often the case, it's new customers who get the best deal. Those signing up afresh to Virgin Media's Ultimate Oomph maximum TV package will get the new Ultra HD content for free.

jfman 25-02-2021 11:07

No Sky Atlantic? :confused:

denphone 25-02-2021 11:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36071892)

Lets not go down that road as we have been there before and its going around in circles.;)

Rob King 25-02-2021 11:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by devilincarnate (Post 36071885)
Existing oomph customer and my box is only showing sky one in uhd at the moment and it says I need to subscribe

Me too

BenMcr 25-02-2021 11:48

Existing customers have to add the Sky Entertainment and Cinema UHD pack on for £6 a month.

It's only currently included in Ultimate Oomph for new customers.

Matty993 25-02-2021 12:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36071902)
Existing customers have to add the Sky Entertainment and Cinema UHD pack on for £6 a month.

Hi Ben,

I'm a current Ultimate Oomph subscriber with TV360. I'm able to go into the Sky Cinema UHD screen under 'Movies' and select titles to play. From responses further up this thread, it seems other users are receiving 'unsubscribed' messages although it plays fine on my end. Other than the picture looking marginally better than the broadcast stream I see no improvement e.g. no HDR (is this part of the deal?), DD5.1 rather than DD5.1+ or Atmos. I assume this is playing the HD stream and missing the prompt for me to subscribe to UHD?

Before I pay for any upgrade, are you able to confirm if HDR and/or improved sound (DD+/Atmos) are included with the picture resolution boost on Sky Cinema UHD?

As a general comment (not aimed at yourself Ben), I find it frustrating that UHD is being charged on top of existing Ultimate Oomph packages and the promise of Sky Sports UHD and not having to faff around switching to Sky kept me with Virgin at my previous contract renewal in June as the Sky price/package was largely comparable. But hey ho, not particularly surprised and expecting to be hit with further costs when Sports do launch.

BenMcr 25-02-2021 12:32

On the 360 On Demand I believe it behaves differently.

It will play back the best available option in your subscription, rather than have have separate HD and UHD options or upgrade messages.

Same as the way that you only get either HD or SD in your live channels.

HDR isn't included as far as I'm aware, nor is Atmos.

Matty993 25-02-2021 12:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36071916)

It will play back the best available option in your subscription, rather than have have separate HD and UHD options or upgrade messages.

Thanks a lot for clarifying.

Based on a check of virginmedia.com/shop/bundles just now, It's interesting that this cost appears to have been absorbed in the total bundle cost for new subscribers after the 18 month promotional period (£139 ongoing cost) whereas I'm being asked to pay for Sky UHD and will still pay the same bundle cost (£139) at the end of my current contract without UHD or presumably £145 with UHD. I appreciate I have negotiated discounts etc. and don't pay full whack but if the undiscounted bundle cost without new customer promotions had increased by £6 to £145, I'd have been more receptive to existing customers being excluded as the new customers would've seen the increase eventually. In this case, it's a show of disregard to the existing customer base.

EDIT: Again, the above not aimed at anyone in particular, just a bit of a moan at Virgin Media more generally!

OLD BOY 25-02-2021 13:14

I must say, a £6 surcharge for Sky UHD entertainment and movies is rather steep. I won’t be going for that.

BenMcr 25-02-2021 13:21

You won't get UHD without the add on.

denphone 25-02-2021 13:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36071926)
I must say, a £6 surcharge for Sky UHD entertainment and movies is rather steep. I won’t be going for that.

Me neither.

muppetman11 25-02-2021 14:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36071916)

A few titles in HDR to test are Cobra , Bulletproof South Africa

Raider999 25-02-2021 14:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36071926)

Sky customers have to pay extra for UHD so why shouldn't VM customers?

Of course it is your choice.

Rob King 25-02-2021 17:17

Looking on the sky one uhd demand all sections are showing uhd then the next screen you only get the HD option does anyone else have that also none of the movies play I still have to subscribe Grr

mot12 25-02-2021 17:18

The charge is all well and good. But was it made out at the time back when we knew this was coming that there would be a charge?
I can't recall.

Mythica 25-02-2021 17:25

Have I got this correct.

Those that take the Ultimate Oomph package now pay £139 (forget the cheaper price for now) with no price rise added and Sky UHD included.

Those already on Ultimate Oomph package pay £139 plus £4 price rise plus £6 Sky UHD.

Rob King 25-02-2021 17:31

And don't forget another £6 a month for Sky Sports UHD Channels my contract runs out middle of May 2021 so I'll ring the April to Negotiate new 360 box superhub 4 and UHD on movies and sports

BenMcr 25-02-2021 17:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mythica (Post 36071968)
Have I got this correct.

Those that take the Ultimate Oomph package now pay £139 (forget the cheaper price for now) with no price rise added and Sky UHD included.

Those already on Ultimate Oomph package pay £139 plus £4 price rise plus £6 Sky UHD.

As far as I know, anyone on Ultimate Oomph taken out after 1st July 2020 won't be getting a price rise till at least the end of this year as they're on the 18 month contracts that aren't part of price rise right now. But they will pay the £6 for the UHD add on.

Mythica 25-02-2021 17:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36071972)
As far as I know, anyone on Ultimate Oomph taken out after 1st July 2020 won't be getting a price rise till at least the end of this year as they're on the 18 month contracts that aren't part of price rise right now. But they will pay the £6 for the UHD add on.

So paying £10pm for basically the same package? Ok on the new package you only get one recordable box but who on earth thought this was a good idea.

What reasoning is there that some have to pay while others get it included?

Rob King 25-02-2021 17:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mythica (Post 36071973)
So paying £10pm for basically the same package? Ok on the new package you only get one recordable box but who on earth thought this was a good idea.

What reasoning is there that some have to pay while others get it included?

Typical Virgin Media they do everything for new customers but forget customers who have been here since 2008 like me etc

mot12 25-02-2021 17:41

Hopefully when red button sport UHD comes that won't occur an add on charge. For those on top packages. New or old customers.
We can hope. :D

kgollop 25-02-2021 17:46

Wow, as an existing Ultimate Oomph subscriber I feel they are having a laugh!

denphone 25-02-2021 17:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by kgollop (Post 36071979)
Wow, as an existing Ultimate Oomph subscriber I feel they are having a laugh!

You could say they have done some customers up like a kipper.

kgollop 25-02-2021 18:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36071983)
You could say they have done some customers up like a kipper.

To be honest, going in and having a look at this reminded me how nasty the VM On Demand system is to navigate and how little I use the TiVo anymore. If it wasn't for live sport I could quite happily go down to broadband only

OLD BOY 25-02-2021 19:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36071939)

Well, that goes without saying!

It doesn’t change the fact that it is an exorbitant charge for what it is.

The ‘additional content’ going onto the on demand system is all stuff that has been shown on live TV already, so the programmes that are worth watching have already been watched or are recorded in this house.

So it’s really £6 just for UHD as far as I am concerned. Fortunately the pictures are upscaled to near-UHD already on my equipment, so I can live without it.

---------- Post added at 19:30 ---------- Previous post was at 19:24 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mythica (Post 36071968)
Have I got this correct.

When the issues on the 360 software are sorted, I will inquire as to whether I can have the Ultimate Oomph with Sky UHD included for about £100. With luck, given that I would be adopting the new software, a deal will be there to be had. If so, I’ll go for it then.

Raider999 25-02-2021 20:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36071999)
Well, that goes without saying!

It doesn’t change the fact that it is an exorbitant charge for what it is.

The ‘additional content’ going onto the on demand system is all stuff that has been shown on live TV already, so the programmes that are worth watching have already been watched or are recorded in this house.

So it’s really £6 just for UHD as far as I am concerned. Fortunately the pictures are upscaled to near-UHD already on my equipment, so I can live without it.

---------- Post added at 19:30 ---------- Previous post was at 19:24 ----------

When the issues on the 360 software are sorted, I will inquire as to whether I can have the Ultimate Oomph with Sky UHD included for about £100. With luck, given that I would be adopting the new software, a deal will be there to be had. If so, I’ll go for it then.

You'll be lucky - I doubt even new customers will get it for that.

nomadking 25-02-2021 20:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36071939)

Won't there be 2 main cost components for Sky? Content and delivery system. Sky's delivery costs shouldn't be passed on to VM, as VM will have their own costs to add. Sky UHD cost to customers is £4/month, so why is VM charging £6?

BenMcr 25-02-2021 20:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36072006)
Won't there be 2 main cost components for Sky? Content and delivery system. Sky's delivery costs shouldn't be passed on to VM, as VM will have their own costs to add. Sky UHD cost to customers is £4/month, so why is VM charging £6?

No idea personally, but I guess it is worth pointing out that the UHD content will be available on all V6 or 360 boxes that a Virgin TV customer has, rather than just on the main box like Sky Q customers will get.

awesometeeth 25-02-2021 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36072006)

really? thats even worse then. the idea of paying for 4k these days is a joke, but us having to pay even more than sky is off the wall.

I was actually pretty pleased with virgin recently, but as someone who only signed up to the oomph package last month, this is pretty irritating to say the least.

edit: so they pay £4 and get netflix upgrade (if they are with sky for netflix) and sports and movies all in 4k, we pay £6 for just this?

nomadking 25-02-2021 20:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36072008)
No idea personally, but I guess it is worth pointing out that the UHD content will be available on all V6 or 360 boxes that a Virgin TV customer has, rather than just on the main box like Sky Q customers will get.

Not sure why that should make a difference. Still a single household viewing content, even if at different times.

The point is that VM shouldn't have to charge more than Sky. How much of that is Sky imposed extra costs, and how much is VM?

muppetman11 25-02-2021 20:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36072010)
Not sure why that should make a difference. Still a single household viewing content, even if at different times.

The point is that VM shouldn't have to charge more than Sky. How much of that is Sky imposed extra costs, and how much is VM?

People on here saying the VM offering doesn't include HDR either on the Sky UHD content.

Mythica 25-02-2021 20:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36072005)
You'll be lucky - I doubt even new customers will get it for that.

New customers get it for £89.

BenMcr 25-02-2021 21:18

Quote:

How much of that is Sky imposed extra costs, and how much is VM?

Unless you're part of the Sky or Virgin Media content negotiation team, then that's not an answer you're ever going to get

TMLeafs 25-02-2021 21:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36071902)

Entertainment is show up as included but Cinema UHD isnt is this an error or do I have to phone will it be added for free, I'm on the Ultimate Oomph only just signed a new contract two days ago

braysoj1 25-02-2021 22:33

My dad has payed £6 how long would it take to show up on vm

TMLeafs 25-02-2021 22:37

Anyone with ultimate oomph put in a complaint using the link below
We had this when they added on extra HD fee per box to the VIP Package, enough of us emailed the CEO back then, they changed their decision after a few days

https://my.virginmedia.com/my-cases/make-a-complaint

Dave42 25-02-2021 23:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36071892)

was never part of the deal don't know why some thought it was

denphone 26-02-2021 04:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 36072061)
was never part of the deal don't know why some thought it was

Given they are charging a extra £6 and even more if they get Sport UHD it should have been included.

Dave42 26-02-2021 07:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36072066)
Given they are charging a extra £6 and even more if they get Sport UHD it should have been included.

would could they do if sky wont let anyone else have it

Rob King 26-02-2021 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMLeafs (Post 36072048)
Anyone with ultimate oomph put in a complaint using the link below
We had this when they added on extra HD fee per box to the VIP Package, enough of us emailed the CEO back then, they changed their decision after a few days

https://my.virginmedia.com/my-cases/make-a-complaint

I have done this i have mentioned about the £7 charge for sky sports HD and the current price raise that virgin media are making etc if we all complain maybe we can make them alter there mind like sky did over the Football pay per view charges

BenMcr 26-02-2021 10:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 36072069)
would could they do if sky wont let anyone else have it

Sports in UHD is part of the content agreement, I don't know what the reason is for the Sports delay for customer access though over the one that we've had for the Entertainment and Cinema content

https://www.skygroup.sky/article/ext...d-the-industry

Quote:

• Multi-year partnership will see Sky channels, including Sky Cinema and Sky Sports, continue to be available across Virgin Media platforms
  • New availability of Ultra HD TV content, including sports and movies, and expanded collection of Sky boxsets available on demand
  • Deal strengthens relationship and spirit of collaboration between Virgin Media and Sky, building on recent AdSmart deal

Dave42 26-02-2021 10:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36072087)
Sports in UHD is part of the content agreement, I don't know what the reason is for the Sports delay for customer access though over the one that we've had for the Entertainment and Cinema content

https://www.skygroup.sky/article/ext...d-the-industry

yes i know sports is included hopefully not be any extra to the £6 charge for sport UHD when it arrives

think Den was speaking about sky atlantic when he replied to me which was talked about his quote he did of my post that never been in the agreement

Tricky Trevor 26-02-2021 12:00

And lets not forget the higher resolution streams

mot12 26-02-2021 21:23

I recently negotiated a good deal. Obviously a new 18 month contract is now in place.
If I decide to add Sky UHD will the £6 just get added onto the current price?
No change will occur to the recent negotiated contract that I mention.

TMLeafs 26-02-2021 21:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by mot12 (Post 36072180)
I recently negotiated a good deal. Obviously a new 18 month contract is now in place.
If I decide to add Sky UHD will the £6 just get added onto the current price?
No change will occur to the recent negotiated contract that I mention.

That is true, looks like it can be removed after 30 days. Are you on the Ultimate Oomph package?

mot12 26-02-2021 21:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMLeafs (Post 36072181)
That is true, looks like it can be removed after 30 days. Are you on the Ultimate Oomph package?

Cheers. And no. But if I was I would feel more ripped off. For obvious reasons. I get why the UO package existing customer folks are feeling hard done by. VM should take better care of existing customers after all many of them will have been with them for years paying their bills for years! Whereas with new customers you never know how long they'll stick around.

I'm on Maxit(so I was told at least) M200 and Talk Anytime. With Sky movies & sports collection HD. Although my online account still states VIP bundle and Full House. Anyway I did get a decent reduction on what I was previously paying. The price is showing correctly within the contract so that's good at least.

TMLeafs 26-02-2021 21:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by mot12 (Post 36072184)
Cheers. And no. But if I was I would feel more ripped off. For obvious reasons. I get why the UO package existing customer folks are feeling hard done by. VM should take better care of existing customers after all many of them will have been with them for years paying their bills for years! Whereas with new customers you never know how long they'll stick around.

I'm on Maxit(so I was told at least) M200 and Talk Anytime. With Sky movies & sports collection HD. Although my online account still states VIP bundle and Full House. Anyway I did get a decent reduction on what I was previously paying. The price is showing correctly within the contract so that's good at least.

You downgraded and got a good deal? They normally offer UO for £99 existing customers to upgrade to it

mot12 26-02-2021 22:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMLeafs (Post 36072188)
You downgraded and got a good deal? They normally offer UO for £99 existing customers to upgrade to it

No. No downgrade. All the same TV channels I've had for years. Same speed BB I've had for years. Same phone package also. Just had the price cut by £26. From about £119 to £93. Also I don't want two 360s right now. One reason is I have a decent number of movies recorded on my V6 downstairs. The boxes aren't all that different anyway as far as I can tell.

Just to be clear never been on UO by the way.

Raider999 27-02-2021 13:59

Quote:

UHD is only available on SkyQ main boxes because the mini-boxes (multi room) are not UHD compatible.

awesometeeth 27-02-2021 18:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36072232)
UHD is only available on SkyQ main boxes because the mini-boxes (multi room) are not UHD compatible.

thats pretty amazing in this day and age...

gaz82 27-02-2021 20:16

I'm pretty sure the Ultimate Oomph package was £79 for new customers a couple of weeks ago. I took it out in December and pay £77 per month.

Looking at Virgin's website just now, it's currently priced at £89 (including UHD) so if you're an existing customer and added the £6 you would still be paying less than what the current offer is!

Also, for full comparison purposes I just priced up a package on Sky's website to get it as close to Virgins Ultimate Oomph as possible:

Sky Signature (Base Package) - £21
HD & Ultra HD - £5
Kids - £5
Multiscreen - £13
Sky Sports - £22
BT Sport - £21
Sky Cinema - £7
Netflix - £4
Broadband (Fastest speed available at my address 60mbs, a tenth of the speed!) - £18
Sky Talk Anytime - £9
60GB SIM (Sky don’t offer an unlimited data option) - £30

Total: £155

For comparison:
Ultimate Oomph - £89
Netflix - £13.99

Total: £102.99

The extra £6 suddenly doesn't seem such a big deal....

kgollop 27-02-2021 20:44

Of the course the actual monthly price for existing Ultimate Oomph customers is actually £139 a month after the introductory offer

gaz82 27-02-2021 20:56

True, but to be fair the Sky quote above includes introductory offers too so it was just a comparison of current advertised pricing.

OLD BOY 27-02-2021 21:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by kgollop (Post 36072269)
Of the course the actual monthly price for existing Ultimate Oomph customers is actually £139 a month after the introductory offer

That’s right, and I couldn’t get customer services to give me a further deal once the 18 months ran out. Big shame. So I’m now having to get Sky Cinema via Now TV and I have reduced the (stupendously high) broadband speed to get the price down.

I’m sorry, I’m not a skinflint, but £130+ is way too high and I will not pay it. I want streaming packages, not channel packages. That would be far better value, and with everything in UHD!

---------- Post added at 21:00 ---------- Previous post was at 20:59 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaz82 (Post 36072270)
True, but to be fair the Sky quote above includes introductory offers too so it was just a comparison of current advertised pricing.

Understood, gaz, thank you.

spankysmagicpian 28-02-2021 00:14

I couldn't get the price down below Skys, even with introductory offers on Skys part so I stuck with Virgin UO.

Anyway, back on topic....If I had a 4K TV, I would be well miffed at this extra charge. How can we on UO be in the 'top' package with more charges on top...hardly 'Ultimate'

OLD BOY 28-02-2021 00:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by spankysmagicpian (Post 36072289)
I couldn't get the price down below Skys, even with introductory offers on Skys part so I stuck with Virgin UO.

Anyway, back on topic....If I had a 4K TV, I would be well miffed at this extra charge. How can we on UO be in the 'top' package with more charges on top...hardly 'Ultimate'

It’s like a tax on the rich! Despite the fact that we are not ‘rich’ at all, at least in the commonly understood of the word!

Joedm45 28-02-2021 12:22

We keep going back to that good old VM achilles heel, billing. Yes, that small thing that actually pays the staff, shareholders, etc. They are still shockingly bad at it!

We now have a situation where two customers can be on the same named package and yet there is a difference in what these two customers receive, for what appears to be the same money.

If UHD costs have to be passed on then fair enough, whoever wants it and is willing to pay can have it. But to pull this stunt really does annoy me!

jfman 28-02-2021 13:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36072271)
That’s right, and I couldn’t get customer services to give me a further deal once the 18 months ran out. Big shame. So I’m now having to get Sky Cinema via Now TV and I have reduced the (stupendously high) broadband speed to get the price down.

I’m sorry, I’m not a skinflint, but £130+ is way too high and I will not pay it. I want streaming packages, not channel packages. That would be far better value, and with everything in UHD!

---------- Post added at 21:00 ---------- Previous post was at 20:59 ----------

Understood, gaz, thank you.

Next weeks winning lottery numbers would be nice too.

Pining for products that don’t exist will only end in extreme disappointment as will cutting your nose off to spite your face by going down the mix and match Now TV/Virgin TV and broadband route.

The reality is, despite all your protestations, you continue to pay Virgin because it delivers good value, against a product that is only hypothetical in your own mind.

gaz82 28-02-2021 15:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joedm45 (Post 36072337)

We now have a situation where two customers can be on the same named package and yet there is a difference in what these two customers receive, for what appears to be the same money.

Surely this is the same with any product or service though? I drive a 19 plate Nissan Qashqai Tekna model. My dad has a 20 plate of the "exact" same model car yet his has some extras that mine doesn't. Should I call Nissan and demand they swap my car to a newer version with the extras for no additional cost?

And on price, there is no fixed fee for any Virgin package. Customer offers change all the time, just like products in your local supermarke.

As I said before, I currently pay £77 for UO. Others are paying, £79, £89, £99, £139 etc for exactly the same package!

PtolemyIV 28-02-2021 16:02

I am absolutely appalled that existing ultimate oomph customers don't get this thrown is especially when I just renewed my contract after latest round of price increases!

gaz82 28-02-2021 16:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by PtolemyIV (Post 36072353)
I am absolutely appalled that existing ultimate oomph customers don't get this thrown is especially when I just renewed my contract after latest round of price increases!

Why? You agreed a contract with a company for a service at a price that you were happy with. They haven't changed the terms of that contract.

The entitlement of some people amazes me! Why should you expect a company to just give you something for free?

jfman 28-02-2021 16:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaz82 (Post 36072349)
Surely this is the same with any product or service though? I drive a 19 plate Nissan Qashqai Tekna model. My dad has a 20 plate of the "exact" same model car yet his has some extras that mine doesn't. Should I call Nissan and demand they swap my car to a newer version with the extras for no additional cost?

And on price, there is no fixed fee for any Virgin package. Customer offers change all the time, just like products in your local supermarke.

As I said before, I currently pay £77 for UO. Others are paying, £79, £89, £99, £139 etc for exactly the same package!

The car comparison isn’t valid.

I pay for ultimate oomph. I should get ultimate oomph.

In your comparison you paid one off for a 2019 car, based on 2019 specs, in 2019.

I pay 2021 prices for ultimate oomph, in 2021, and don’t get ultimate oomph.

Mythica 28-02-2021 17:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaz82 (Post 36072349)

It depends what your definition of fixed fee is?

I'd say the VM bundles are fixed fee. Yes they will change in price but not regularly. I disagree with your car analogy. I know with Ford, when they start changing things mid car release, the price tends to go up with the changes. I'd dare say that this UHD is equivalent to just flicking a switch to get it sent to your address. It makes no logical sense just to offer it to new subscribers.

gaz82 28-02-2021 17:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36072355)
The car comparison isn’t valid.

I pay for ultimate oomph. I should get ultimate oomph.

In your comparison you paid one off for a 2019 car, based on 2019 specs, in 2019.

I pay 2021 prices for ultimate oomph, in 2021, and don’t get ultimate oomph.

You pay for the "Ultimate Oomph" package which was offered to you on the date stated on your contract, which also includes an itemised list and can be reviewed in your my Virgin Media account.

If an item that is listed in that contract is removed or the price is changed which contravenes that terms agreed then you would have a valid point. But you are still receiving the service you agreed to at the price you agreed as per your contract.

Mythica 28-02-2021 17:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaz82 (Post 36072354)
Why? You agreed a contract with a company for a service at a price that you were happy with. They haven't changed the terms of that contract.

The entitlement of some people amazes me! Why should you expect a company to just give you something for free?

Of course you are correct about the contract part but not the entitlement part. This isn't about wanting something for free. It's about wanting the same product. I'm more than happy new customers get a cheaper price, that's done to draw customers in. But something big as UHD should be the same standard for everyone. If it costs £6 then it should cost £6 to everyone. What you also need to consider is that UHD comes as standard on the top package unless you're on the top package but not a new customer. Do you really think that's right?

PtolemyIV 28-02-2021 17:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaz82 (Post 36072354)

Also because they explicitly advertise it (and name it as such) that it comes with the top tier of everything - plus, and I admittedly did not point this out, the salesperson doing my contract renewal acknowledged they had missed the original 2020 promise for sky ultrahd but assured me it would be included for ultimate oomph customers precisely for the aforementioned reasons!

More so than any of this, the aspect that bugs everyone is the unfair pricing and features for new vs existing customers. I and many others on this forum will annually or more frequently pick up the phone upon renewals/price rises to renegotiate but what about all the vulnerable type such as the elderly that get taken along for a ride by Virgin...

I would much rather pay even more than I do now as long as everyone consistently pays the same new or old customer for the same service.

It isn't about entitlement - it is about fairness and equality.

Mythica 28-02-2021 17:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaz82 (Post 36072359)
You pay for the "Ultimate Oomph" package which was offered to you on the date stated on your contract, which also includes an itemised list and can be reviewed in your my Virgin Media account.

If an item that is listed in that contract is removed or the price is changed which contravenes that terms agreed then you would have a valid point. But you are still receiving the service you agreed to at the price you agreed as per your contract.

And what happens when you're not in contract any more?

PtolemyIV 28-02-2021 17:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mythica (Post 36072364)
And what happens when you're not in contract any more?

You then have to go back and know the multiple different teams and tricks to navigate between them on virgin customer services and try to negotiate for yourself...

I really feel ofcom should mandate "one price for one package" - if the same were to apply for Sky and Virgin then the vulnerable would be protected and these shenanigans could finally end.

Mythica 28-02-2021 17:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by PtolemyIV (Post 36072366)
You then have to go back and know the multiple different teams and tricks to navigate between them on virgin customer services and try to negotiate for yourself...

I really feel ofcom should mandate "one price for one package" - if the same were to apply for Sky and Virgin then the vulnerable would be protected and these shenanigans could finally end.

My point was that people have already phoned up to complain about it to which they are offered it for £1. It's still not good enough. Regardless of what the contract states or whether in a contract or not, it should have been offered to everyone at the same cost.

jfman 28-02-2021 17:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaz82 (Post 36072359)

Nobody is disputing that part.

However this month and next month on an ongoing basis I pay more money per month for an inferior “ultimate oomph” than that offered to new customers. No amount of whataboutery will change that.

I’ll certainly remember when it comes to renegotiating.

PtolemyIV 28-02-2021 17:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mythica (Post 36072368)
My point was that people have already phoned up to complain about it to which they are offered it for £1. It's still not good enough. Regardless of what the contract states or whether in a contract or not, it should have been offered to everyone at the same cost.

True - I didnt even get the £1 offer either..

ScottishSteve 28-02-2021 17:59

They could have made it easier for themselves by renaming the package Ultimate Oomph + or something rather than saying new customers only.

gaz82 28-02-2021 18:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36072369)
Nobody is disputing that part.

However this month and next month on an ongoing basis I pay more money per month for an inferior “ultimate oomph” than that offered to new customers. No amount of whataboutery will change that.

I’ll certainly remember when it comes to renegotiating.

And no "whataboutery" will change the fact that you are receiving the service you signed up for and agreed to!

If you are paying more than your original contract and you are still in contract then you are free to contact Virgin and re-negotiate or end it if the increase is above the agreed terms.

I'm sure there are reasons behind their decision - I highly doubt the sole reason would be just to annoy existing customers!

For example, the majority of existing customers are using the V6 box which could include a per box licence fee to TIVO for the use of their software. Whereas all new customers receive the 360 software which is owned by Liberty. Maybe Virgin are able to offset the cost of UHD to Sky for new customers because they don't need to pay the TIVO licence fee. (I don't know if this is the case, I don't work for Virgin and I don't have any inside knowledge - I'm just thinking about the bigger picture).

At the end of the day Virgin are a business.

jfman 28-02-2021 19:11

I'm sure there are business reasons too. Profit.

However the fact remains that I and others are now paying more every month for an inferior and exactly branded service than new customers.

I'm sure it has absolutely nothing to do with the licencing fee for TiVo software. If I "upgraded" to 360 they won't give me free UHD. This is further whataboutery on your part.

I'm unsure why you seem to have the "business" interest at the forefront of your mind rather than the "consumer" interest.

Hugh 28-02-2021 19:12

Perhaps just offering a viewpoint, rather than supporting anything?

Mad Max 28-02-2021 19:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36072388)

However the fact remains that I and others are now paying more every month for an inferior and exactly branded service than new customers.

I'm sure it has absolutely nothing to do with the licencing fee for TiVo software. If I "upgraded" to 360 they won't give me free UHD. This is further whataboutery on your part.

I'm unsure why you seem to have the "business" interest at the forefront of your mind rather than the "consumer" interest.

Spot on.

gaz82 28-02-2021 20:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36072388)

AND the fact still remains that you are receiving the exact service you signed up for and agreed to! If you're not happy, contact VM and re-negotiate a new contract!

I don't have any specific business/consumer interest or agenda, I'm just giving a different view of the situation based on my experience with contracts and sales.

Is branding really the problem though? If it was called something different such as "Ultimate Oomph UHD" would that appease you or would you still have the same opinion?

As I said before, I don't presume to know whether the price difference has anything to do with a TIVO licence anymore than you are "sure" it doesn't! It was simply just a possible example. This is whataboutery on both our parts that only VM themselves know. Also, how do you know that VM wouldn't give you UHD free if you changed to 360? Have you specifically asked them or is this just an assumption?

jfman 28-02-2021 20:47

A laughable response. Wait there while I phone Virgin and ask them for free UHD just in the off chance they move me from the "have nots" to the "haves".

What I signed up to last I recontracted is absolutely irrelevant to the fact that next month and each month after I pay the same (or indeed more) for an inferior service despite supposedly having the same Ultimate Oomph product.

Your views on contracts and sales are absolutely irrelevant. Can Virgin legally create a two tiers of customers? Yes. That's not in dispute.

I absolutely am not obliged to be happy for it or agree with Virgin Media apologists on the forum.

gaz82 28-02-2021 21:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36072396)
A laughable response. Wait there while I phone Virgin and ask them for free UHD just in the off chance they move me from the "have nots" to the "haves".

What I signed up to last I recontracted is absolutely irrelevant to the fact that next month and each month after I pay the same (or indeed more) for an inferior service despite supposedly having the same Ultimate Oomph product.

Your views on contracts and sales are absolutely irrelevant. Can Virgin legally create a two tiers of customers? Yes. That's not in dispute.

I absolutely am not obliged to be happy for it or agree with Virgin Media apologists on the forum.

Laughable in what way? Because you don't happen to agree with them? I asked you two simple questions in my last post which you've conveniently overlooked, I guess because you'd rather stand your ground instead of maybe taking a step back, looking at the bigger picture, and considering that, god forbid, someone else's viewpoint might actually be valid!

I have real world experience with VM, along with many many others, that VM are more than happy to re-negotiate mid-contract. Just look at the many posts on this and other forums all over the web where customers have contacted them after a price increase only to be offered a reverse of the increase straight away. In fact, on the last increase there was a menu option on their phone system to apply a discount against the increase without even needing to speak with an operator! Yet, you seem to have a problem with calling Virgin and simply asking about UHD. You'd rather just winge and argue about it on a forum instead of being pro-active and just asking them the question!

Also, what you have signed up to is totally relevant! I don't know how many more times I need to say it! THEY ARE PROVIDING YOU WITH THE EXACT SERVICE YOU HAVE SIGNED UP TO! My mortgage rate is different to what my back currently offers. It's still called a "5 year fixed rate" mortgage. Do I cry about it? No, I either accept that things have changed since I re-mortgaged and carry on or I call the bank and discuss my options!

And my views are irrelevant? Why is that? Again, because you personally don't agree with them?? You realise it's OK to have a different view to someone else and that the whole point of a forum is to discuss those different views?

I am in no way a Virgin Media apologist, I have issues with them in other areas just like others do. I just don't agree that in this instance VM have done anything wrong.

You just seem to be getting yourself in a tizz over something that might easily be resolved with a simple phone call!

jfman 28-02-2021 21:47

It would also easily be resolved for £6 a month, however that is not the point.

You can repeat your irrelevant points as many times as you please. It will not detract from the reality that Virgin are shafting their existing customers here by charging them more per month for UHD that they are making available for free to new customers on an identically named package.

Your anecdotal evidence makes the situation worse, not better. I have no care for your mortgage, the clue is perhaps in the name "fixed rate".

The person getting most animated here appears to be you, averaging less than two posts per year on the forum, deciding that sticking up for Virgin creating two tiers of customers and saying "tough shit" is the value add you want to bring.

I dread to think what posts would look k like if you were attempting to be a Virgin Media apologists.

gaz82 28-02-2021 22:05

Well let's just leave it there, your reply is seemingly turning to becoming more personal towards me rather than just debating the subject in hand, which is something I'm not prepared to continue with.

The number of posts I've submitted on this forum previously has absolutely no relevance and in no way does it undermine my right to a point of view.

Enjoy the rest of your evening.

jfman 01-03-2021 07:24

It just strikes me as somewhat odd that this topic, and defending Virgin Media, has seemingly galvanised you into action on the forum.

You’ve made a number of irrelevant comparisons - purchasing a 2019 model of a car, a “fixed rate” mortgage (the purpose of which is to remove uncertainty.

The defence seemingly is that Virgin can legally do this, therefore tough. That may be so, but no-one anywhere is going to convince me as a rational consumer acting in my own interest that I should pay more for a monthly subscription service and get less.

Under your preposterous scenario I could be on the same package as when I joined Telewest in the 90s. Well, mate, you signed the contract didn’t you? They’re supplying you with exactly what you agreed to. And paying a higher monthly subscription for it too.

OLD BOY 01-03-2021 08:35

Give it a rest, jfman, for God's sake. Gaz was quite right, a telephone call might resolve your problem. If it doesn't, it doesn't.

Gaz was not 'sticking up for Virgin', he was simply explaining the simple fact that you'd signed up to your existing package.

However, you are right in complaining about the extra charge for the Sky UHD, but you can blame Sky for that. Virgin would lose money if they didn't pass it on.

As for new customers, it is not unusual to offer short-term incentives to attract them into using a service.

gaz82 01-03-2021 08:55

I don’t care how it’s “strikes you”! Not that I need to explain myself to you, but this is an old account that I didn’t even realise I still had. I’ve been a Sky subscriber for a number of years and have only very recently joined VM. When I tried to register an account on this forum hoping it might be a friendly community only then did I realise my e-mail address was “taken” and that this old account was still active. Hence no posts for a number of years until very recently.

Although, when I signed in I didn’t notice any secret hand shake or hidden test that I needed to complete or a certain post number I needed to reach in order to validate my opinion!

My defence isn’t with VM directly, it’s with contracts in general. You don’t seem to grasp that fact! You took out a contract detailing exactly which services you will receive as an itemised list in return for a monthly fee (which can increase in line with the terms agreed in said contract) for a set period. Just because VM may now offer something different in terms of that package it still doesn’t change what you’ve agreed to.

And your Telewest example makes no sense! The last time I checked VM don’t sign customers into everlasting contracts! They are usually a fixed term of 12/18 months after which time you are free to re-contract with new terms or walk away.

Following your understanding of the situation, should every customer using a V6 box now be forced to upgrade to the 360 box? Because that’s what the current UO bundle includes? If the current bundle removed something would expect yours to be automatically removed too? If that was the case then you would have every right to complain as you would be paying for something you’re not receiving as per your contract.

As you’ve said though, no one is going to convince you otherwise and you don’t seem to be able to engage in a conversation where there may be a chance you could see something from another point of view so I’m not sure why you’re wasting your time participating in a forum!

jfman 01-03-2021 09:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36072414)
Give it a rest, jfman, for God's sake. Gaz was quite right, a telephone call might resolve your problem. If it doesn't, it doesn't.

Gaz was not 'sticking up for Virgin', he was simply explaining the simple fact that you'd signed up to your existing package.

However, you are right in complaining about the extra charge for the Sky UHD, but you can blame Sky for that. Virgin would lose money if they didn't pass it on.

As for new customers, it is not unusual to offer short-term incentives to attract them into using a service.

But Virgin aren't charging everyone extra for UHD - which is my point.

I've no real gripe against "new customer offers" that's part and parcel of getting customers in the door, I've taken advantage of such offers in the past so why should nobody else yet them now.

However UHD for "new" customers isn't a promo. In months 13/19 or whatever they still get more than existing customers while paying for an identically named (and assuming no retention offers) and identically priced but substantively different product.

---------- Post added at 09:17 ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaz82 (Post 36072421)
I don’t care how it’s “strikes you”! Not that I need to explain myself to you, but this is an old account that I didn’t even realise I still had. I’ve been a Sky subscriber for a number of years and have only very recently joined VM. When I tried to register an account on this forum hoping it might be a friendly community only then did I realise my e-mail address was “taken” and that this old account was still active. Hence no posts for a number of years until very recently.

Although, when I signed in I didn’t notice any secret hand shake or hidden test that I needed to complete or a certain post number I needed to reach in order to validate my opinion!

My defence isn’t with VM directly, it’s with contracts in general. You don’t seem to grasp that fact! You took out a contract detailing exactly which services you will receive as an itemised list in return for a monthly fee (which can increase in line with the terms agreed in said contract) for a set period. Just because VM may now offer something different in terms of that package it still doesn’t change what you’ve agreed to.

And your Telewest example makes no sense! The last time I checked VM don’t sign customers into everlasting contracts! They are usually a fixed term of 12/18 months after which time you are free to re-contract with new terms or walk away.

Following your understanding of the situation, should every customer using a V6 box now be forced to upgrade to the 360 box? Because that’s what the current UO bundle includes? If the current bundle removed something would expect yours to be automatically removed too? If that was the case then you would have every right to complain as you would be paying for something you’re not receiving as per your contract.

As you’ve said though, no one is going to convince you otherwise and you don’t seem to be able to engage in a conversation where there may be a chance you could see something from another point of view so I’m not sure why you’re wasting your time participating in a forum!

For someone who'd given up the ghost debating this last night this is quite a long response but you substantively haven't raised any further issues than those I've previously dismissed.

For someone comparing it to the purchase of a 2019 car I fail to see what credibility you have saying my comparison males "no sense".

However I'm happy to leave it there as anyone can see that Virgin are creating two tiers of customer paying the same price for a substantively different service despite having the same name. Whether they can legally do this is a straw man - that has never been in dispute.

Why anyone would be happy to pay more and get less than another customer buying an identical product from the same company is completely beyond me.

I wouldn't sit in a restaurant and go "I'll have what they're having" then not dispute when it arrives minus part of the meal. Ah but you're a regular customer here, and it's his first time would not be an acceptable explainaton.

Hugh 01-03-2021 10:45

Edging towards personal attacks here - play the ball, not the man, please.

gaz82 01-03-2021 12:05

It's nothing to do with creating two tiers, it's simply adhering to the existing contract terms you've already agreed to! Using your analogy there are already many different tiers; those that are at different price points, those that have a V6 box, those that have a 360 box, those that had to pay a set up fee, those that didn't. They are all different variances that are either accepted at the point of signing up or as part of an agreed change of service between both parties.

Yesterday the UO deal included free set-up but today it doesn't, but there's a £125 reward MasterCard included instead. The offers change all the time which could involve a difference in price, the hardware you receive, any extras such as reward cards, and the services which make up the package.

You purchase a "standard economy seat" on a flight. Some are window seats and some are aisle seats. Some are in a row of 3 and others are in a row of 4. But they're all still just a "standard economy seat". My point is just because something is branded a certain way, it doesn't mean it's identical every single time.

You choose to reserve a window seat for a fee but another passenger doesn't and ends up with a window seat anyway. Do you get the hump and complain? Should every other window seat on the plane now be left empty because they haven't been specifically reserved but you paid to reserve yours?

I don't understand why you're struggling with this so much. As per a previous comment I made, if the updated UO was named something slightly different instead - "Ultimate Oomph UHD" would that appease you?

Your dismissal of my previous comments doesn't make them any less valid. It just shows that you have no counter argument to them.

Your restaurant analogy is also floored. "I'll have what they're having" insinuates that you haven't placed your order yet. But you have, you've already placed your order previously and since then the restaurant has updated their menu. Your meal has already been prepared, you've received what you ordered and you're halfway through eating it. Would you send your meal back to the kitchen halfway through eating it because someone else's meal has a few more chips?

Actually, no you wouldn't. You wouldn't even speak to the kitchen to try and resolve your issue. You would just go online and winge about the restaurant to others that have no control over your meal!

Your attitude is exactly what one of the problems is with todays world. Everyone wants what someone else has got and has no regard for a contract that has already been agreed between both parties. I'm sure if it was the other way round, if VM jacked up your price mid-contract above and beyond the stated increase clause, you would be the first use the contract terms as a defence!

What further compounds the situation is that you're not even prepared to call VM and discuss it with them directly, and give them the opportunity to resolve your issue by negotiating a new deal.

I guess that just doesn't fit within your rhetoric which is to bash VM at any given opportunity!

jfman 01-03-2021 12:46

I’m not sure what purchasing a seat on a flight has to do with anything. A further irrelevant comparison from a completely different market. We’ve now had cars, mortgages and now flights. All one off purchases not monthly subscriptions.

When I purchase a seat on a plane I get the same options as everyone else. If I don’t pay for an aisle seat or extra legroom then I know I’m rolling the dice the same as everyone else who doesn’t. Easyjet (or anyone else) don’t set out to create two tiers of customer buying the bog standard ticket, but among those of us who didn’t select our seats I had exactly the same chance as everyone else of an “upgrade”.

Save the personal attacks I can live without them. I’m just a rational consumer in the marketplace. I’m not sure what you are but Virgin Media are entitled to criticism where due. If, as it would seem, you think Virgin Media are beyond reproach then you’ll find yourself at odds with around half the posters on here who have some grumble or another. As I’ve said before I think this is a bizarre position to hold such a strong belief in.

gaz82 01-03-2021 13:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36072455)
I’m not sure what purchasing a seat on a flight has to do with anything. A further irrelevant comparison from a completely different market. We’ve now had cars, mortgages and now flights. All one off purchases not monthly subscriptions.

Which further shows your mis-understanding as to what a contract is. My examples are all totally relevant. A one-off purchase or a monthly subscription makes no difference. A contract of sale is still created at the time of purchase. You don't start a new contract every month when you pay your subscription. You're still adhering to the original contract terms formed at the point of sale.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36072455)
Save the personal attacks I can live without them. I’m just a rational consumer in the marketplace. I’m not sure what you are but Virgin Media are entitled to criticism where due. If, as it would seem, you think Virgin Media are beyond reproach then you’ll find yourself at odds with around half the posters on here who have some grumble or another. As I’ve said before I think this is a bizarre position to hold such a strong belief in.

Pot, Kettle and Black springs to mind! Seemingly you are happy to dish out the personal attacks but cannot handle it when others challenge your opinion. Arrogance and a closed minded attitude are not appealing traits.

As I've repeatedly said, I'm not defending VM per-se, I have other issues with their business and I'm happy to criticise them where applicable. However, in this instance I'm defending the act of adhering to a contract with set terms laid out in black and white and agreed by both parties at the time of commencement.

Again, you seem to only be interested in criticising VM based on third party information. You are not prepared to contact them yourself and discuss it with them directly to give them the chance to resolve your issue personally. Had you taken this course of action and they did not resolve your query then you would then have every right to feel aggrieved.

In fact, I'll save you the hassle. I just called them myself. They offered me the ability to start a brand new 18 month contract today at the new customer price of £89 on the new terms which includes UHD or I can add it to my existing terms at £6 with no further commitment. I currently pay £77 so the second option would work out cheaper for me in my situation. I'm sure if you just call them they may also offer you a resolution and you can then get on with the rest of your day.

But this conversation is going no-where so let's agree to disagree and move on.

jfman 01-03-2021 14:14

I’m fully aware what a contract is and as I told you before that’s a straw man argument.

At no point have I accused Virgin of acting illegally. If they were I’d be talking to OFCOM not someone with two dozen forum posts relentlessly defending them at all costs.

Virgin stating new customers to Ultimate Oomph can get UHD for free while existing customers pay £6 a month is not third party information it’s literally their own press release. It is, regardless of how you present it, creating two tiers of Ultimate Oomph customer.

Your anecdotal evidence based on your own single experience doesn’t change that fact either.