Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2010) Vol. III (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33668197)

muppetman11 20-09-2010 21:39

Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2010) Vol. III

Quote:

Originally Posted by cupcakes aka dd (Post 35094949)
I'm on XL package and quite happy if anyones interested. :)

Can we have a childrens channel in HD though please. Cos I spend half my life watching the dam things. :(

Here here Disney would be good sick of watching Zach and Cody in Sd LOL ;)

EDtheRED03 20-09-2010 21:47

Does anyone know if premier sports will be added anytime soon to VM's channel line up? I missed BS footie

Also does anyone know if anymore free to air movie channels are due soon? Film 4 is the only half decent one - IMO

Big Red 20-09-2010 21:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfect Choice (Post 35095066)
Anybody saw the advert tonight on Sky for their 3D channel starting 1st October?

Come on VM, where is that 3D on demand "channel"?

I know VM said 3D content would be added some time soon but I think its going to take a good year or two for 3D to catch on.

We are still waiting for channels to convert to HD.

Plus its pointless buying 3D TV's now when in a year or two Full 3D TV's without glasses will come onto the market.

I have seen 3D Football in the Pub yes it was good and watching 3D at the movies but at the moment I feel its currently the best way to watch it.

muppetman11 20-09-2010 22:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Red (Post 35095126)
I know VM said 3D content would be added some time soon but I think its going to take a good year or two for 3D to catch on.

We are still waiting for channels to convert to HD.

Plus its pointless buying 3D TV's now when in a year or two Full 3D TV's without glasses will come onto the market.

I have seen 3D Football in the Pub yes it was good and watching 3D at the movies but at the moment I feel its currently the best way to watch it.

There are a lot of the tech sites saying 3d could be a big flop , I'm tending to agree.

ChrisLUFC22 20-09-2010 22:14

All these people moaning about VM's negotiaton skills - can I ask what behind the scenes access you have? I'm guessing most of the VM employees on this forum don't get to see the contracts etc.
I, for one, am very happy with my service, am delighted with my selection of HD channels, the only thing on my wishlist is Sports HD3 & 4 but I won't lose sleep over them.
As for 3D, even with Sky's ability at marketing, I can't see it being mainstream, too many people have complaints with it for it to take off IMO.

Big Red 20-09-2010 22:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35095132)
There are a lot of the tech sites saying 3d could be a big flop , I'm tending to agree.

I agree I'm not one thats being sold on 3D just yet.

Sky are the one's that pushed TV Manufactures to look into 3D TV's and Sky have spent millions on this product.

I think VM are taking the right approach via On Demand and talks of Live PPP Events in 3D.

I think 3D is good when watching Football, Rugby and soon Boxing, which I think will be its biggest seller watching Boxing in 3D -Bring Back Rocky for that ;)

I don’t think 3D will be like HD i.e. all channels getting 3D treated, I do think the content is limited to what can be 3D Sports Events, Movies etc but not eastenders.

mhatter67 20-09-2010 23:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Red (Post 35095153)
I think 3D is good when watching Football, Rugby and soon Boxing, which I think will be its biggest seller watching Boxing in 3D -Bring Back Rocky for that ;)

I don’t think 3D will be like HD i.e. all channels getting 3D treated, I do think the content is limited to what can be 3D Sports Events, Movies etc but not eastenders.

Until they invent a 3DTV that you do not have to wear glasses and be able to watch it at any viewing angle it will be a fad.

When you go to the cinema to watch 3D films, film makers seem to just shoot 3D for the effect and not to enhance the storyline:erm:

PS Mattb00thers the reason why I fear Ofcom getting involved with all SKY Sports in HD on VM, is that it will take years to resolve and that if the government by then hasn't reduced their powers

cnewton2k 21-09-2010 07:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Red (Post 35095126)

Are you sure about this? I thought it was more like 10 - 15 years away

Media Boy UK 21-09-2010 07:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by EDtheRED03 (Post 35095121)
Does anyone know if premier sports will be added anytime soon to VM's channel line up? I missed BS footie

Also does anyone know if anymore free to air movie channels are due soon? Film 4 is the only half decent one - IMO

I did hear last week that talks are ongoing with an view of Virgin Media carrying Premier Sports.

As far as I know Virgin have got no plans to launch an new Movie Channel on Virgin Media anytime soon.

Perfect Choice 21-09-2010 08:28

Didn't see 3D being an issue of VM having to negotiate with Sky to have their channel but to launch their own on demand channel with their own acquired content, which today means films.

I actually see 3D being a big impact in gaming (try the PS3 Motorstorm 3D demo) and wonder when VM launch their TIVO box and if that can integrate with Internet based content, then VM could just end up with a niche area here?

On the issue of 3D TVs without glasses well they are just only coming out development, will be expensive and I’ve read somewhere on the Internet that they will not provide as comprehensive an experience as those TVs with glasses (have to be straight on with the TV and if you move left or right you can lose the 3D effect). Perhaps they will one day in around 5 year time.

Don’t see 3D as a great demand puller but one of those hypes which pulls in punters as Sky want to. I happened to buy a 3D TV 3 weeks ago (Sony HX803), but only because it was under special offer and my old CRT was really due for replacement. The 3D kit (normally £250) was free, so I saw this as a bonus for my viewing experience rather than a reason for buying.

But the value for me with a 3D TV will be PS3 games, not so bothered about films although I except my children will enjoy that aspect, so target market for Sky/VM to put pressure on parents to buy 3D TV!

tweedie 21-09-2010 09:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnewton2k (Post 35095243)
Are you sure about this? I thought it was more like 10 - 15 years away

3DS doesnt use glasses?

Everything is there to do it, and Im sure there are companies with prototypes out there so I dont think It will be that far away.

a few years maybe

Media Boy UK 21-09-2010 11:37

Sky1 HD to launch next week.

Niall has today posted on his blog that Sky1 HD is set to launch sometime next week

http://vmhd.blogspot.com/2010/09/coming-sooner.html

gadge 21-09-2010 12:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 35095320)

Niall has today posted on his blog that Sky1 HD is set to launch sometime next week

Very good news more hd the better just history hd for me now.

mattboothers 21-09-2010 12:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 35095320)

I will see it to believe it

Media Boy UK 21-09-2010 12:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattb00thers (Post 35095333)
I will see it to believe it

Next week was the dates I was given over the weekend.