Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   The state benefits system mega-thread. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33692770)

Jimmy-J 04-04-2015 21:15

Re: The state benefits system mega-thread. Many merged.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35769740)
Then put up a deposit, put down your name and hit the streets. :shrug:

No chance of that happening, maybe 20 or 30 years ago when I had it in me.

RichardCoulter 05-04-2015 21:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35769681)
Got any info on how many got their money reinstated on appeal, that'd be the best indication of frivolous sanctioning

There is a high success rate, but many of the people being sanctioned are sick and disabled people with a variety of physical and mental health problems.

Evidence has also been collated to show that Jobcentre staff are under pressure to meet targets for sanctioning people. Those affected are not being told of their appeal rights nor are they being advised about the Hardship Payment scheme (one report here says that this failure to give advice on obtaining alternative funds is as low as 23%).

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...fare-sanctions

Yes, even people who fought for our country don't get any compassion:

http://m.lincolnshireecho.co.uk/Ex-R...ail/story.html

A diabetic ex soldier died after having all his money cut off (I believe that diabetics need food in order to take their insulin).

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...oldier-3923771

Ex forces charities are said to have been overwhelmed by requests for assistance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35769718)
Because a party should be elected on a manifesto, I.e. a broad programme for government underpinned by a particular ideology or outlook. Presenting the minutiae of one specific policy (assuming they even have it finalised in that level of detail, it is actually possible that they haven't) turns the entire election debate into a referendum on £12 billion, when it ought to be about electing a government that will be responsible for annual planned expenditure of around 60 times that figure.

In any case, it's a red herring. I think you either agree in principle that £12 billion of cuts in welfare spending is desirable and achievable, or else you don't. I think it highly unlikely that anyone is going to jump from one side of the argument to the other, based on the precise detail of where the cuts would be made.

Where they intend to make the next tranche of cuts is extremely important and certainly could change a persons view. This is all the more important as they now move onto 'middle class' benefits.

If they end up scrapping Carers Allowance this will affect many older people who tend to vote Tory and could cost them votes

Likewise, if they said that asylum seekers were to be given less money, it would probably boost their popularity.

These policies actually benefit me personally, i'm not on Social Security and have received a fat cheque and a tax cut- but I don't want to live in such a callous and selfish society. If that means paying more tax, i'm happy with that.

Chris 05-04-2015 21:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35769902)
Where they intend to make the next tranche of cuts is extremely important and certainly could change a persons view. This is all the more important as they now move onto 'middle class' benefits.

If they end up scrapping Carers Allowance this will affect many older people who tend to vote Tory and could cost them votes

Likewise, if they said that asylum seekers were to be given less money, it would probably boost their popularity.

As I said, we are talking about one sixtieth of annual planned expenditure. Further, I think it vanishingly unlikely that they will achieve that cut by axing any one thing. More likely it will be some here, some there.

They aren't going to allow the opposition to turn the election into a referendum on one very small part of their planned programme for the next five years. Those details will not be forthcoming, no matter how many times they are asked.

Arthurgray50@blu 06-04-2015 18:16

Don't people realise that, the Tories are going to hit the vulnerable rather than the rich. The rich pay into Tory coffers.

Members may think l am whinging, but its true.

Lets see what the Chancellor can hit, if he gets in to save money.

Winter Fuel allowance, which l get. The free travel for OAP's. Disability Allowance - again. Jobseekers allowance - he can reduce, plus, if they don't find a job after say 12 months. People can lose Benefits

They could increase Bedroom Tax

There is much more they can do. This is why they are so evil.

papa smurf 06-04-2015 19:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 35770017)
Don't people realise that, the Tories are going to hit the vulnerable rather than the rich. The rich pay into Tory coffers.

Winter Fuel allowance, which l get. The free travel for OAP's. Disability Allowance - again. Jobseekers allowance - he can reduce, plus, if they don't find a job after say 12 months. People can lose Benefits

i thought you had to be an OAP to get winter fuel allowance

denphone 06-04-2015 19:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35770024)
i thought you had to be an OAP to get winter fuel allowance

You do.

papa smurf 06-04-2015 19:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35770025)
You do.

so how does a working man get it ?

denphone 06-04-2015 19:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35770027)
so how does a working man get it ?

He does not as it applies to people who get a state pension.

TheDaddy 06-04-2015 20:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35770030)
He does not as it applies to people who get a state pension.

You not allowed to work anymore if you get the state pension or something?

---------- Post added at 20:52 ---------- Previous post was at 20:51 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 35770017)

You may have a point after all

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/tories-pla...--finance.html

papa smurf 06-04-2015 21:32

[QUOTE=TheDaddy;35770034]You not allowed to work anymore if you get the state pension or something?[COLOR="Silver"]

i had no idea you could work and claim your pension and it seems get some benefits :shocked:

TheDaddy 06-04-2015 22:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35770038)
i had no idea you could work and claim your pension and it seems get some benefits :shocked:

Well I don't know for sure but if you're only doing a few hours a week who knows

Arthurgray50@blu 06-04-2015 22:43

Let me solve those question's.
I am 63 years old, and have had the winter fuel allowance since l was sixty.
You can work - only part time though. I was told that by a mate of mine, who gets his pension BUT, if you work over certain hours - he loses parts of his pension

I work full time, and get a full wage. BUT have been told that l cannot retire until 66 years old. BUT, my contract is up at 65. BUT can continue due to the Age and Equality Act

I would rather continue working. I have been unemployed four times in my life, and its hard. And you are just a number.

My scarist thing is when l retire is how do l support my wife, you cannot survive on the state pension, and the small pension l get now is £60 per month BUT that has tax of £15 pds taken out

All my bills have gone up - but nothing else. I am not lazy, but now bone are starting to creak. And the point will come is when l cannot get out of bed.

Am l angry, yes. OAP's are treated very badly in this country. And l don't know why - maybe because they are vulnerable and cannot answer back. And Osborne will make sure they will suffer.

RizzyKing 06-04-2015 23:08

They are not going to detail the cuts they will make because they dont want to risk losing voters and if they are in power after the election they can make whatever cuts they do as having been agreed by the electorate. It's all smoke and mirrors and at the end of the day they couldn't care less about 90% of the people in this country. I've heard more people say they will not be voting in the coming election then ever before if it turns out that is a broader view amongst a far larger number of people then before how low a turnout is acceptable ?.

Ignitionnet 06-04-2015 23:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 35770060)
Am l angry, yes. OAP's are treated very badly in this country. And l don't know why - maybe because they are vulnerable and cannot answer back. And Osborne will make sure they will suffer.

Quote:

Between 1977 and 2010-11, the incomes of pensioners rose by two and a half times in real terms, outstripping the growth in the economy. Over the same period working people saw their income grow just two times.
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2015/04/59.jpg
Those with heads not in contact with colons nursing severe persecution complexes consider the Tories to be, if anything, pandering to retirees as they tend to vote Tory and vote in large numbers.

http://www.moneymarketing.co.uk/opin...019235.article

Quote:

Why on earth would the Conservatives risk the wrath of pensioners it has spent the past five years desperately trying to woo?

The hugely expensive state pension triple-lock, retaining universal perks for retirees and, of course, the Budget pension freedoms are just a few examples of a party transparently targeting the section of society it expects to vote in its droves on 7 May.
Current and soon to be pensioners are likely to have it about as good as it'll get. My generation will have to work for longer to pay for retirement and are likely to have far less state support.

Sadly these things have to be paid for, and paid for, for the most part, by those who are of working age.

papa smurf 07-04-2015 07:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 35770060)
Let me solve those question's.
I am 63 years old, and have had the winter fuel allowance since l was sixty.
You can work - only part time though. I was told that by a mate of mine, who gets his pension BUT, if you work over certain hours - he loses parts of his pension

I work full time, and get a full wage. BUT have been told that l cannot retire until 66 years old. BUT, my contract is up at 65. BUT can continue due to the Age and Equality Act

I would rather continue working. I have been unemployed four times in my life, and its hard. And you are just a number.

My scarist thing is when l retire is how do l support my wife, you cannot survive on the state pension, and the small pension l get now is £60 per month BUT that has tax of £15 pds taken out

All my bills have gone up - but nothing else. I am not lazy, but now bone are starting to creak. And the point will come is when l cannot get out of bed.

ahh its all clear now
your not on your own worrying what your going to live on in retirement ,you go from a good wage down to a pittance of an income and the cost of every day living is so expensive .