Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33688944)

denphone 14-03-2020 05:27

Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:

Originally Posted by telegramsam (Post 36027218)
I personally don't believe the season should a) be null and void or b) simply end as it stands. There's be all kinds of legal action flying around both from teams relegated and teams just missing out on promotion. The same would be if the season was made null and void. The only fair and obvious answer is to play all the remaining fixtures as soon as it's possible.

Taking my own support for certain teams out of the way telegramsam l certainly cannot see the season being declared null and void as from what l have heard the ideas being floated at this preliminary stage are declaring the season finished as it is stands with titles , promotions and relegations being awarded as it currently stands but that is a decision that if it was made would not be made for 3 to 4 weeks or even longer , other ideas being floated around is to completely reorganise the football Calendar but then that is dependent on the virus being severely curtailed and none of us on this forum know the answer on that as we are not the experts even though some think they are ;)

OLD BOY 14-03-2020 08:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36027206)
You did read my answer to someone elses post did you not OB as l made it very clear in my answer that there is no chance of a resumption to football on the 3rd of April.

Listening to a respected football journalist on SSN he thinks after talking to the important people in the game the season is over OB.

Sorry, Den, I was meaning to quote your earlier post and then somehow highlighted the later one!

I agree with you, 3 April is out of the question for the resumption of football if the whole rationale is to prevent infection. The peak for contagion will be sometime between mid-April and mid-May, so we are staring in the face of no football for another 3 months without any footie if we apply the logic behind this decision, unless they decide to play without spectators, that is.

---------- Post added at 08:08 ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36027209)
Can you point me to the Government advice where it recommends employers continue to expose their employees to people who have contracted coronavirus, are suspected to have coronavirus or have contact with third parties with known contact with an individual confirmed to have coronavirus?

You are confusing the public gathering advice with established health and safety at work law. While the Government advice appears to pretend everything is fine, it doesn't create any indemnity for employers not taking reasonable steps to the health and safety of their employees.

Only yesterday the Premier League were happy to go ahead, with significant matchday revenues at stake and (if abandoning this season altogether) television revenue, until the Arsenal manager was confirmed to have the virus - with the suspicion being he caught it in a game on February 27th - as the owner of that team has the virus. When this became a risk to their employees they decided it was best to limit exposure.

No employer could reasonably put their employees on a field against Arsenal, and whoever Arsenal played last week, and claim they took all reasonable steps to protect their employees.

Equally I'm sure none of these clubs would want a player to die as a result, perhaps still with instalments to pay to his previous club outstanding and compensation to a widow. Insurers would almost certainly not pay out.

Yes, employers certainly have a duty of care to their employees, but this still appears to be an over-reaction.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/51777154

denphone 14-03-2020 08:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36027238)
Sorry, Den, I was meaning to quote your earlier post and then somehow highlighted the later one!

That is okay OB.:)

---------- Post added at 08:27 ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 ----------

Quote:

I agree with you, 3 April is out of the question for the resumption of football if the whole rationale is to prevent infection. The peak for contagion will be sometime between mid-April and mid-May, so we are staring in the face of no football for another 3 months without any footie if we apply the logic behind this decision, unless they decide to play without spectators, that is.

You see even without spectators not present at sporting events that brings up its own plethora of problems as all sporting events even without spectators require support staff which there are quite a few and one of the most important is a doctor and a medical vehicle with several qualified medical support staff in situ.

Given the gravity of the situation they are likely to be required elsewhere in far more important matters.

---------- Post added at 08:33 ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 ----------

Quote:

Yes, employers certainly have a duty of care to their employees, but this still appears to be an over-reaction.

One of the biggest crisis this country has faced l would not class as appearing to be a over-reaction.

You heard Boris Johnson yourself and l am no fan of him but he is guided by the foremost medical experts in the field of epidemiology.

Enough said...

OLD BOY 14-03-2020 09:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36027240)
That is okay OB.:)

---------- Post added at 08:27 ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 ----------

You see even without spectators not present at sporting events that brings up its own plethora of problems as all sporting events even without spectators require support staff which there are quite a few and one of the most important is a doctor and a medical vehicle with several qualified medical support staff in situ.

Given the gravity of the situation they are likely to be required elsewhere in far more important matters.

---------- Post added at 08:33 ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 ----------

One of the biggest crisis this country has faced l would not class as appearing to be a over-reaction.

You heard Boris Johnson yourself and l am no fan of him but he is guided by the foremost medical experts in the field of epidemiology.

Enough said...

It is a gross over-reaction, Den. Influenza causes up to 646,000 deaths worldwide every year. So far, coronovirus hasn't even claimed 5,000.

What we are succumbing to is the rabid need for the media to excite their audiences and grab their attention. Everything is well OTT these days. I'm surprised you football fans are taking it so well!

denphone 14-03-2020 10:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36027245)
It is a gross over-reaction, Den. Influenza causes up to 646,000 deaths worldwide every year. So far, coronovirus hasn't even claimed 5,000.

What complete lockdowns in certain countries , national emergencies called , sport unlikely to be played for 4 to 6 months , Supermarkets in talks with the government to limit their product lines and possible rationing of core basic products to follow , NHS put on a war footing , etc , etc , etc.

That to me is not a over-reaction unless you think Boris and the other world leaders are not telling the public the truth.

OLD BOY 14-03-2020 10:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36027245)

What we are succumbing to is the rabid need for the media to excite their audiences and grab their attention. Everything is well OTT these days. I'm surprised you football fans are taking it so well!

---------- Post added at 10:28 ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36027249)
What complete lockdowns in certain countries , national emergencies called , sport unlikely to be played for 4 to 6 months , Supermarkets in talks with the government to limit their product lines and possible rationing of core basic products to follow , NHS put on a war footing , etc , etc , etc.

That to me is not a over-reaction unless you think Boris and the other world leaders are not telling the public the truth.

The over-reaction was from the media bumping up a story to sensationalise a problem. Now that they have accomplished that and no doubt made a lot of money off the back of it, governments have to pick up the pieces.

The overreaction I am talking about is to sensationalise the coronovirus with its death toll of less than 5,000 to date as it reaches its peak in most countries, compared with the normal death toll from influenza being over half a million. The whole thing needs to be put into perspective.

jfman 14-03-2020 10:31

Quote:

That link doesn’t address any of the points I made.

Where does it say a club couldn’t be sued if a player died after playing Arsenal?

OLD BOY 14-03-2020 13:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36027253)
That link doesn’t address any of the points I made.

Where does it say a club couldn’t be sued if a player died after playing Arsenal?

The link was to the fact that the measure taken to shut down sporting events was not in accordance with government advice. You are the one obsessing about being sued, not me. I have acknowledged that employers have a duty of health and safety for their employees, but employers only have to act proportionately.

One has to ask if shutting down the whole premier league with all the financial consequences, disappointed fans and the organisational problems on the back of it is an appropriate response to one or two people contracting an influenza bug.

It would be interesting to hear what others think about that. I am becoming tired of these knee jerk reactions myself. The world is simply full of snowflakes. Sorry to anyone who wishes to exercise their right to be offended. You won't be the only one. :rolleyes:

jfman 14-03-2020 13:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36027265)
The link was to the fact that the measure taken to shut down sporting events was not in accordance with government advice. You are the one obsessing about being sued, not me. I have acknowledged that employers have a duty of health and safety for their employees, but employers only have to act proportionately.

Yes, I acknowledged earlier that the Government had offered advice but I specifically asked you where that overrides Health and Safety law. The link you have provided has failed to do so.

Quote:

One has to ask if shutting down the whole premier league with all the financial consequences, disappointed fans and the organisational problems on the back of it is an appropriate response to one or two people contracting an influenza bug.
As huge capitalist enterprises don't you think that they have weighed up the risk? If opposition players/fans contract the virus and the worst happens it's them in court, not Oliver Dowden in flawed attempts to create calm by ignoring the risk.

Football clubs as employers, and operators of large leisure facilities, will have had plenty of discussions with their lawyers, insurers, accountants and medical advisers on this. They're also gambling millions weighing up potential outcomes, not simply keyboard warriors hypothesising from the safety of their living room.

Quote:

It would be interesting to hear what others think about that. I am becoming tired of these knee jerk reactions myself. The world is simply full of snowflakes. Sorry to anyone who wishes to exercise their right to be offended. You won't be the only one. :rolleyes:
There's absolutely nothing interesting about your inflammatory invite for others to give you their opinion. The second such statement in this thread - the previous being something about being surprised at football fans putting up with it.

This is self evidently not an ordinary influenza strain - if it was the case nobody would have noticed for a start. It'd have just been chalked up as a few more Chinese flu deaths.

OLD BOY 14-03-2020 14:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36027268)
Yes, I acknowledged earlier that the Government had offered advice but I specifically asked you where that overrides Health and Safety law. The link you have provided has failed to do so.

As huge capitalist enterprises don't you think that they have weighed up the risk? If opposition players/fans contract the virus and the worst happens it's them in court, not Oliver Dowden in flawed attempts to create calm by ignoring the risk.

Football clubs as employers, and operators of large leisure facilities, will have had plenty of discussions with their lawyers, insurers, accountants and medical advisers on this. They're also gambling millions weighing up potential outcomes, not simply keyboard warriors hypothesising from the safety of their living room.

There's absolutely nothing interesting about your inflammatory invite for others to give you their opinion. The second such statement in this thread - the previous being something about being surprised at football fans putting up with it.

This is self evidently not an ordinary influenza strain - if it was the case nobody would have noticed for a start. It'd have just been chalked up as a few more Chinese flu deaths.

Paragraph 1. I did not state that health and safety law was over-ridden by government advice of this nature. I argued proportionality. If you want a link to prove the point I am not making, feel free to Google to your heart's content.

Paragraph 2/3. Again, I did not claim that as employers, etc, they had not weighed up the risks. What I said was that I thought it was an over-reaction.

Paragraph 4. I do not need your agreement to invite views on this.

Paragraph 5. Well, clearly you have been taken in by the hysteria. You have not commented on my pointing out that the worldwide death toll has not even reached 5,000 yet, when influenza kills over half a million in a year. So what, exactly, is so special about this one? Yes, it is a new strain, and no, we do not yet have a vaccine. Nevertheless, the death toll comparison is extremely significant. We scarcely notice the presence of the flu viruses that are normally present until they affect us or a member of our own families. The media has scaremongered to such a degree that this new strain results in the public clearing the supermarket shelves in abject panic. Funny old world. Just as well it's not Spanish flu, that really would have been a cause for concern.

jfman 14-03-2020 14:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36027270)
Paragraph 1. I did not state that health and safety law was over-ridden by government adviceof this nature. I argued proportionality. If you want a link to prove the point I am not making, feel free to Google to your heart's content.

Paragraph 2. Again, I did not claim that as employers, etc, they had not weighed up the risks. What I said was that I thought it was an over-reaction.

Paragraph 3. I do not need your agreement to invite views on this.

Paragraph 4. Well, clearly you have been taken in by the hysteria. You have not commented on my pointing out that the worldwide death toll has not even reached 5,000 yet, when influenza kills over half a million in a year. So what, exactly, is so special about this one? Yes, it is a new strain, and no, we do not yet have a vaccine. Nevertheless, the death toll comparison is extremely significant. We scarcely notice the presence of the flu viruses that are normally present until they affect us or a member of our own families. The media has scaremongered to such a degree that this new strain results in the public clearing the supermarket shelves in abject panic. Funny old world. Just as well it's not Spanish flu, that really would have been a cause for concern.

A death toll comparison is completely insignificant at this stage Old Boy - given the steps that many countries are taking to prevent the infection spreading (including belatedly, this one).

It's an apparent quick win for anyone ignoring the evidence. It ignores that the valid comparison is against number of cases and number recovered - not how many people die from the flu (a separate illness) in a calendar year.

If you scale up the number of infections to the equivalent of Influenza A (no reason to expect it couldn't achieve this) the death toll would be much, much higher.

Anyway, that's for another thread but thanks for confirming that Government advice doesn't override Health and Safety law which the football clubs as employers have to abide by.

1andrew1 14-03-2020 14:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36027178)
Sometimes companies have to swallow the cost and do the right thing but whether they do no one knows.

I'm sure Sky and BT can swallow the cost but I doubt Premier Sports can.
I can see some of those now having to work from home upgrading their home broadband which will be good news for BT, Sky, TT and VM. And I doubt they will downgrade their speeds when matters improve.

jfman 14-03-2020 14:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36027274)
I'm sure Sky and BT can swallow the cost but I doubt Premier Sports can.
I can see some of those now having to work from home upgrading their home broadband which will be good news for BT, Sky, TT and VM. And I doubt they will downgrade their speeds when matters improve.

I'm not sure that home broadband will be the bottleneck for many, it'll be the internal networks ability to handle so many people being 'off-site'.

Re: Premier Sports - their rights holders will probably be more flexible with them as they'll be a minor revenue stream.

johnathome 16-03-2020 16:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36027207)
If the sports seasons are not finished, which they may well not be, then the league tables as currently standing should be the final result and used to decide championships, euro qualifications, promotions and relegations.

The only exception should be outstanding games a team might have to equal the number of games the rest of the division has played (assuming this will make any difference to either teams league status next season)

Most leagues are well over 80% completed - to say all those games are meaningless is a ridiculous argument, or clutching at straws by supporters of teams not wanting to be relegated?

I think that will trigger lawsuits from Villa et al.

I'm sure i read something about a team in the relegation zone threatening that.

Raider999 16-03-2020 20:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnathome (Post 36027618)
I think that will trigger lawsuits from Villa et al.

I'm sure i read something about a team in the relegation zone threatening that.

Since my original post, it has been suggested that the Premier League could run 22 teams next season if this has to be abandoned (current 20 teams plus West Brom and Leeds)

denphone 17-03-2020 17:33

The Premier League is in risk of breaching its broadcast contract and stand to lose handsomely should the season be void.

https://www.digitalstudiome.com/broa...to-coronavirus

Quote:

UK’s Sportsmail stated that under the terms of contracts signed with Sky Sports, BT Sport and overseas broadcasters, the Premier League are committed to delivering a completed fixture programme by July 31, with the contract for the next season kicking in on August 1.

OLD BOY 17-03-2020 19:13

Good news at last. Sky Sports and BT Sport will cease billing for their services while all sport is suspended.

https://advanced-television.com/2020...cription-fees/

denphone 17-03-2020 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36027772)
Good news at last. Sky Sports and BT Sport will cease billing for their services while all sport is suspended.

No mention by Virgin yet..

ScottishSteve 17-03-2020 19:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36027773)
No mention by Virgin yet..

It’s for commercial customers like pubs etc and not home customers

newapollo 17-03-2020 19:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36027772)

Sorry to disillusion you OB, but it's only commercial subs for the present

denphone 17-03-2020 19:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottishSteve (Post 36027774)
It’s for commercial customers like pubs etc and not home customers

Yes l know Steve thanks.

OLD BOY 17-03-2020 19:25

Yes, sorry guys, in my haste to bring you this news I realise that this does not relieve the homefire punters. Let's hope there is some good news soon.

Oh, wait...

https://www.rxtvlog.com/2020/03/sky-...y-at-home.html

denphone 17-03-2020 19:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by newapollo (Post 36027775)
Sorry to disillusion you OB, but it's only commercial subs for the present

l doubt whether they can hold that line for much longer in regards to residential customers as a few going on about it on here is just the tip of the iceberg.

OLD BOY 17-03-2020 19:59

Sky has now made a concession to Sky Sports customers. Presumably this will be duplicated by Virgin.

https://www.sky.com/shop/covid19-cus...P-banner-COVID

Whilst we expect that many of the recently postponed sports events will go ahead, if you wish to pause your Sky Sports subscription in the meantime you will not be charged a fee to do so or be held to any notice period. Meanwhile we continue to provide high quality content across all of our 11 Sky Sports channels.

muppetman11 17-03-2020 20:46

I'll probably continue with mine as I'm getting it massively discounted and have been watching a few bits of archive stuff and magazine type shows , good news though for those who are paying more or full price.

denphone 18-03-2020 08:51

Premier League clubs have reportedly hatched a plan to save the season amid the coronavirus pandemic - by playing all remaining games behind closed doors and at neutral venues.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...-save-21710921

Quote:

All games would also be shown live on TV in a bid to provide fans with their football fix and appease broadcasters who have paid huge sums to show Premier League football.

figgyburn 18-03-2020 11:24

Seems a reasonable suggestion.If some of the players can't/do not want to play then that leaves opportunity for reserves/youth players to step up.All teams will/may have these personnel problems.Extraordinary problems call for extraordinary solutions.

jfman 18-03-2020 13:12

An interesting idea. Presumably players quarantined in hotels for the duration to reduce risk plus regular testing. Not like hotels will get much trade anyway.

Can see why it appeals - millions at risk if Sky/BT don’t get a product.

Will make the dead rubber games the deadest of dead.

RichardCoulter 18-03-2020 13:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 36027802)
I'll probably continue with mine as I'm getting it massively discounted and have been watching a few bits of archive stuff and magazine type shows , good news though for those who are paying more or full price.

I've seen reports that when Sky Sports is paused, discounts are removed. One person found that she was going to be charged full price for Sky Cinema.

When she asked to put things back to what they were, she was told it was too late!!!

alwaysabear 18-03-2020 17:46

Lots of Prem teams are not even training together or are in isolation now. So any restart of the league will need a few weeks at least to get in shape .
I really cannot see any resumption of this season unless something dramatic happens.

jfman 18-03-2020 17:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysabear (Post 36027945)
Lots of Prem teams are not even training together or are in isolation now. So any restart of the league will need a few weeks at least to get in shape .
I really cannot see any resumption of this season unless something dramatic happens.

Nobody said they’d be any good :p:

denphone 19-03-2020 11:33

Where does no live coverage of sports on Sky Sports leave Virgin Media customers.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/03/1...ause-subscrip/

Legendkiller2k 20-03-2020 17:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36028029)
Where does no live coverage of sports on Sky Sports leave Virgin Media customers.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/03/1...ause-subscrip/

Virgin are going to be lovely to us and raise prices instead.:D

ozsat 20-03-2020 19:01

Eurosport Player subscribers have had an extra month sub added automatically.

telegramsam 20-03-2020 19:44

My personal feelings about this is that Sky should automatically suspend sky sports subs whilst there's no live sports action or at the very least reduce them significantly. It would be a great gesture and win them lots of brownie points.

denphone 20-03-2020 19:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by telegramsam (Post 36028213)
My personal feelings about this is that Sky should automatically suspend sky sports subs whilst there's no live sports action or at the very least reduce them significantly. It would be a great gesture and win them lots of brownie points.

Those on the Sky platform can pause their Sky Sports subscriptions whilst Virgin as usual have sat on their Jack Jones and done diddly squat.

telegramsam 20-03-2020 20:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36028215)
Those on the Sky platform can pause their Sky Sports subscriptions whilst Virgin as usual have sat on their Jack Jones and done diddly squat.

Yes I know but wouldn't it be a great gesture by Sky to simply say to their sky sports customer "hey have the sports channels on us whilst there's no live sports". If everyone paused their sub then I would imagine advertiser's wouldn't be too happy,would they?

Chad 20-03-2020 22:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by telegramsam (Post 36028216)
Yes I know but wouldn't it be a great gesture by Sky to simply say to their sky sports customer "hey have the sports channels on us whilst there's no live sports". If everyone paused their sub then I would imagine advertiser's wouldn't be too happy,would they?

At the moment most adverts will be having little to no impact anyway. Nobody is buying anything other than food and people are staying indoors.

Raider999 21-03-2020 11:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36028215)

Yes, a friend has suspended his sky sports subscription - interestingly he is still able to play existing recordings from sky sports - he gets his directly from sky and this doesn't affect any discounts he has.

Notice a difference from our situation.

VM really should do something similar.

I wonder whether the current situation would be a valid reason to cancel VM altogether even if in contract as they are not supplying the content as advertised?

---------- Post added at 11:43 ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 36028241)
At the moment most adverts will be having little to no impact anyway. Nobody is buying anything other than food and people are staying indoors.

Most shops have little to buy anyway.

denphone 21-03-2020 11:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36028257)
Yes, a friend has suspended his sky sports subscription - interestingly he is still able to play existing recordings from sky sports - he gets his directly from sky and this doesn't affect any discounts he has.

Notice a difference from our situation.

VM really should do something similar.

I wonder whether the current situation would be a valid reason to cancel VM altogether even if in contract as they are not supplying the content as advertised?

l doubt there is anything in the T&C's where you would be able to cancel Virgin but l am not a expert on this.

Itshim 21-03-2020 18:00

Wonder what Sky have offered to Virgin .if nothing why would they take the hit . Can't you give virgin notice .it won't be back anytime soon are all!

Raider999 21-03-2020 20:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36028307)
Wonder what Sky have offered to Virgin .if nothing why would they take the hit . Can't you give virgin notice .it won't be back anytime soon are all!

I could, but according to some who have done so, I would lose the discount I currently receive - so wouldn't be any better off.

telegramsam 21-03-2020 21:01

Suspended my sky sports today on the sky website. It says you can still get 11 sky sports channels,not looked to see if it's correct yet.

Itshim 22-03-2020 11:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36028327)
I could, but according to some who have done so, I would lose the discount I currently receive - so wouldn't be any better off.

That's one heck of a discount:erm:

Raider999 22-03-2020 12:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36028355)

Only started 12 months contract with the discount a couple of months ago.

So suspending/cancelling the sky sports discount for 2/3 months and losing the discount for 9 months or so isn't a good idea.

VM should be offering a suspension as Sky are, that doesn't affect anything else.

You can't tell me they haven't got a discount from sky so they should be passing it on not pocketing it.

1andrew1 22-03-2020 12:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36028374)

You can't tell me they haven't got a discount from sky so they should be passing it on not pocketing it.

We just don't know but if they had, I would expect an announcement to that effect and suspect Sky would make it conditional on VM passing it on to their customers.

telegramsam 22-03-2020 13:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36028375)
We just don't know but if they had, I would expect an announcement to that effect and suspect Sky would make it conditional on VM passing it on to their customers.

I would imagine if virgin got the discount or pause option from sky they would let customers know about it. They wouldn't be allowed to keep it to themselves I shouldn't imagine.

bubblegun 22-03-2020 14:23

Quote:

VIP/Ultimate Oomp @ £79 is one of those I believe.

The bundle promo discount on the entire bundle is bigger than the cost of Sky Sports so they are saying you cannot get a discount on it.

BT Sports aren't doing anything so far.

Sky are removing the Sports portion of a bundle if you ask to Pause Sports.

AFAIK Virgin Retention will remove Sky Sports cost for 3 months too if you ask for it and are paying the normal Sky Sports add-on cost to a lower bundle.

ozsat 22-03-2020 14:49

Sky are pausing the subscription for their Sports customers - they are not removing the channels.

Itshim 22-03-2020 17:19

Quote:

Difference for me is 20 pounds if I take sports as I say one heck of a discount .Great that you got so much more wish I could !

RobboEdin 23-03-2020 19:34

https://www.virginmedia.com/pauseskysports

denphone 23-03-2020 19:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobboEdin (Post 36028582)

When l phoned up the other day we wanted to stop Sky Sports but yet were told our bill was going to actually go up by £1 so one was actually not going to get any benefit from it as one hoped.

Raider999 23-03-2020 20:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36028585)
When l phoned up the other day we wanted to stop Sky Sports but yet were told our bill was going to actually go up by £1 so one was actually not going to get any benefit from it as one hoped.

Presumably, you also have discounts which would be removed?

denphone 23-03-2020 20:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36028621)
Presumably, you also have discounts which would be removed?

Most definitely.

oxfordmark 25-03-2020 09:22

What if your bundle includes SS as standard?

Raider999 25-03-2020 11:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by oxfordmark (Post 36028867)
What if your bundle includes SS as standard?

Good point - do any of the bundles include this as standard - I seem to recall taking the top bundle when I joined VM and having to add Sky Sports as an extra although BT Sports was included foc

OLD BOY 25-03-2020 13:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36028907)
Good point - do any of the bundles include this as standard - I seem to recall taking the top bundle when I joined VM and having to add Sky Sports as an extra although BT Sports was included foc

I have the £99 top package, which includes Sky Sports, BT Sport and Sky Cinema in the package. I am not expecting any discount on Sky Sports or BT Sport for that matter.

denphone 26-03-2020 17:58

Sky and BT will 'lose £1bn if sporting events stay shut until August'

https://www.theguardian.com/business...t-until-august

Quote:

“The hypothesis informing governments assumes an initial three-month long lockdown,” said Enders Analysis, which published the report. “Group activities of 25 people involving close physical contact without protection will not plausibly be the first to be allowed when when some social life resumes.”

Mr K 26-03-2020 18:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36029122)
Sky and BT will 'lose £1bn if sporting events stay shut until August'

https://www.theguardian.com/business...t-until-august

Don't worry Den, they'll survive.

denphone 26-03-2020 18:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36029127)
Don't worry Den, they'll survive.

No doubt they will Mr K.

Chad 04-04-2020 11:31

3pm Saturday blackout for televised football has been lifted

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52161561

Raider999 04-04-2020 12:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 36030320)
3pm Saturday blackout for televised football has been lifted

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52161561

Shame there isn't any football to watch

Mad Max 04-04-2020 14:49

UEFA are nuts, there's absolutely no chance of any football season finishing this year, how can you expect players to play behind closed doors and keep social distancing, they are totally deluded.

ozsat 04-04-2020 15:07

I don't see how it makes UEFA nuts ??

It is as silly keeping the ban in place as it is lifting it - if no games can be played.

In a statement, Uefa said: "Uefa has lifted the 'blocked hours' protection granted to England and Scotland for the remainder of the 2019-20 season following requests from the relevant national associations as a result of measures taken in relation to the Covid-19 pandemic."

So why slate UEFA?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36030384)
UEFA are nuts, there's absolutely no chance of any football season finishing this year, how can you expect players to play behind closed doors and keep social distancing, they are totally deluded.

telegramsam 04-04-2020 15:31

If the games are to be played behind closed doors then one would presume every player will be tested and cleared to play ? This is a nightmare situation for the football authorities to resolve because the season has to be finished otherwise there will be all sorts of legal issues.

Mad Max 04-04-2020 15:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozsat (Post 36030387)
I don't see how it makes UEFA nuts ??

It is as silly keeping the ban in place as it is lifting it - if no games can be played.

In a statement, Uefa said: "Uefa has lifted the 'blocked hours' protection granted to England and Scotland for the remainder of the 2019-20 season following requests from the relevant national associations as a result of measures taken in relation to the Covid-19 pandemic."

So why slate UEFA?

Because they could easily have solved this by declaring the season null and void!

telegramsam 04-04-2020 16:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36030396)
Because they could easily have solved this by declaring the season null and void!

UEFA could never make the season 'null and void' because they would be sued by numourous clubs who either miss out on promotion or are relegated.

denphone 04-04-2020 16:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by telegramsam (Post 36030400)
UEFA could never make the season 'null and void' because they would be sued by numourous clubs who either miss out on promotion or are relegated.

It would open up a Pandora's box in my view.

Mad Max 04-04-2020 16:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by telegramsam (Post 36030395)
If the games are to be played behind closed doors then one would presume every player will be tested and cleared to play ? This is a nightmare situation for the football authorities to resolve because the season has to be finished otherwise there will be all sorts of legal issues.

Football pales into insignificance, people are dying ffs, football is the last thing on peoples minds!

Raider999 04-04-2020 16:39

Quote:

Not to mention broadcasters who, in a lot of cases, have already paid for covering the games yet to be played.

One broadcaster has already asked for a refund - how long before the others follow suit.

Football is not the only sport talking about possibly finishing the season behind closed doors, Cricket has considered the possibility of most/all this season behind closed doors.

Mad Max 04-04-2020 16:39

Quote:

If UEFA cant do it then the respective leagues could, we've already had suggestions that as the league standings are at present then that's the way the league will finish, and that does indeed cause huge problems, but some lower English football has already declared their season null and void.

jfman 04-04-2020 16:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36030401)
It would open up a Pandora's box in my view.

I can’t see it happening. Too much money - Sky and BT are owed a product.

Raider999 04-04-2020 16:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36030404)
If UEFA cant do it then the respective leagues could, we've already had suggestions that as the league standings are at present then that's the way the league will finish, and that does indeed cause huge problems, but some lower English football has already declared their season null and void.

The lower league football decision has not been ratified by the FA - last I saw over 120 clubs have protested against that decision.

Mad Max 04-04-2020 16:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36030405)
I can’t see it happening. Too much money - Sky and BT are owed a product.

Wouldn't they come under the same terms that the government are handing out to businesses, jfman?

jfman 04-04-2020 17:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36030408)
Wouldn't they come under the same terms that the government are handing out to businesses, jfman?

Unsure to be honest. From a Sky/BT perspective they are still trading, the Premier League on the other hand?

telegramsam 04-04-2020 18:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36030402)
Football pales into insignificance, people are dying ffs, football is the last thing on peoples minds!

The fact we're talking about it means football is very much on peoples minds. I for one miss it like crazy and it's often the topic of conversation at work (yes I'm still able to go into work as I work in the food production industry).

Raider999 04-04-2020 19:41

Just read an article on the Internet stating the Premier League would be liable to pay £762m if the season is not finished.

Playing behind closed doors sounds attractive all of a sudden.

I expect this to start early June.

Mad Max 04-04-2020 20:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36030432)
Just read an article on the Internet stating the Premier League would be liable to pay £762m if the season is not finished.

Playing behind closed doors sounds attractive all of a sudden.

I expect this to start early June.

They won't be able to if social distancing is still in force

Raider999 04-04-2020 21:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36030435)

I suspect the plan is to gat all players/coaches tested and then apply to re-start by saying it is in the national interests (giving people something to watch wham self-isolating) to allow a conditional restart.

Of course the government might say no and provide the £762m refund.

johnathome 04-04-2020 23:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36030435)

I thought all the players were to be isolated for 2 weeks before the eventual start date?

Mad Max 05-04-2020 00:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnathome (Post 36030443)
I thought all the players were to be isolated for 2 weeks before the eventual start date?

It's an absolute mess mate, there will be no football this summer!

Paul 05-04-2020 02:00

The PFA have really lost the plot.
Quote:

The Professional Footballers' Association says proposals for a 30% pay cut for Premier League players would be "detrimental to our NHS".
Talk about grasping at straws.

jfman 05-04-2020 08:30

Fell into that PR trap hook, line and sinker.

alwaysabear 07-04-2020 13:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36030446)
It's an absolute mess mate, there will be no football this summer!

I'm with you, I cannot see how any football can be played this summer.

Raider999 07-04-2020 17:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysabear (Post 36030757)
I'm with you, I cannot see how any football can be played this summer.

If there isn't a lot of football clubs will go to the wall.

I read that a lot of Premier League clubs have purchased testing kits in preparation for testing players prior to a resumption behind closed doors to fulfil their TV contract obligations.

denphone 07-04-2020 17:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36030800)
If there isn't a lot of football clubs will go to the wall.

I read that a lot of Premier League clubs have purchased testing kits in preparation for testing players prior to a resumption behind closed doors to fulfil their TV contract obligations.

The bigger clubs will survive it as its the smaller clubs further down the football pyramid who could go to the wall.

alwaysabear 09-04-2020 20:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36030801)
The bigger clubs will survive it as its the smaller clubs further down the football pyramid who could go to the wall.

In my view the number of professional clubs in this Country is unsustainable, no where else in the world are they able to sustain so many professional league clubs. Maybe this is the time reality bites no matter how unpalatable it is.

telegramsam 09-04-2020 22:34

Sky customers who get BT Sport through them can now pause their BT Sports subscription until live sports action resumes. I've now paused both Sky sports and BT sports.

Chad 25-05-2020 21:20

Live football returns this weekend on Freesports. They have picked up the rights to show 2 games per week from the Polish top flight.

https://www.freesat.co.uk/how-to-watch-live-football/

---------- Post added at 21:06 ---------- Previous post was at 21:04 ----------

Live snooker set to return to TV a week today on ITV4.

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-05-21/...es-up-snooker/

---------- Post added at 21:20 ---------- Previous post was at 21:06 ----------

Australian NRL returns to Sky Sports this Thursday. Sky will be showing 8 fixtures live over 4 days. The good news for rugby fans is that all 8 games will be available on Sky Sports Mix so no need to unpause your subscription just yet.

Huxie 25-05-2020 22:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 36037000)
.........The good news for rugby fans is that all 8 games will be available on Sky Sports Mix so no need to unpause your subscription just yet.

Virgin will be deciding when to unpause, not the customer:
Quote:

We’ll keep your Sky Sports and BT Sport payments paused until the action resumes, and you won’t need to do anything to start enjoying it again. During this paused period, you’ll still be able to watch Sky Sports and BT Sport channels.

telegramsam 26-05-2020 00:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 36037000)
Live football returns this weekend on Freesports. They have picked up the rights to show 2 games per week from the Polish top flight.

https://www.freesat.co.uk/how-to-watch-live-football/

---------- Post added at 21:06 ---------- Previous post was at 21:04 ----------

Live snooker set to return to TV a week today on ITV4.

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-05-21/...es-up-snooker/

---------- Post added at 21:20 ---------- Previous post was at 21:06 ----------

Australian NRL returns to Sky Sports this Thursday. Sky will be showing 8 fixtures live over 4 days. The good news for rugby fans is that all 8 games will be available on Sky Sports Mix so no need to unpause your subscription just yet.

Do you mean to say virgin customers who have paused their subs aren't still getting the channels like Sky customers are?

ozsat 26-05-2020 04:08

My sports channels are still active and I paused mine.

Raider999 26-05-2020 10:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by telegramsam (Post 36037031)
Do you mean to say virgin customers who have paused their subs aren't still getting the channels like Sky customers are?

Yes, however until this coming Thursday there hasn't been anything to watch on Sky (the NRL is on 3 channels).

I think this will be available to most as Mix isn't in the sports pack?

the German football started 10 days ago on BT Sports apart from that nothing else to watch.

As previously reported, you can also watch any recorded programmes from suspended sports channels.

ScottishSteve 26-05-2020 11:22

My Premier Sports pause from last month didn’t renew but a phonecall to billing and another £9.99 credit was added no problem

denphone 26-05-2020 19:50

Sky to un-pause Sky Sports subscriptions in mid June.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport...esume-18314270

Raider999 27-05-2020 09:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36037185)
Sky to un-pause Sky Sports subscriptions in mid June.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport...esume-18314270

That would make sense ASSUMING PREMIER LEAGUE FOOTBALL RESUMES AROUND THAT TIME AS EXPECTED

I believe this was always going to be the case.

ozsat 28-05-2020 15:30

Interesting that BBC Alba has live Bundesliga - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000jxm9

jfman 28-05-2020 15:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozsat (Post 36037446)
Interesting that BBC Alba has live Bundesliga - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000jxm9

Women's

ozsat 28-05-2020 15:55

I would have expected it to be on Red Button too in English.

Yep -it is Frauen-Bundesliga - but BBC Alba don't mention that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36037447)
Women's

---------- Post added at 15:55 ---------- Previous post was at 15:50 ----------

Live Snooker too from Monday from Milton Keynes - on ITV4

Dave42 28-05-2020 18:57

sky sports to show 25 free to air games starting with Merseyside derby on first weekend back

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...25-free-to-air