Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017) (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704203)

Mad Max 24-05-2017 19:26

Re: Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35900245)
It's been going on since the end of 2015 - it started with the Sky Sports and Cinema HD channels:
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...e/td-p/2973856

What is actually now happening is that all SA V+ HD boxes will be disconnected completely - all channels will be removed, not just HD ones.

So if you have one, or maybe two, what will they be replaced with?

spiderplant 24-05-2017 20:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35900276)
So if you have one, or maybe two, what will they be replaced with?

A TiVo (or two)

RichardCoulter 24-05-2017 23:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35900255)
I believe that will be the case yes. No idea yet what exactly the difference will be but I'm sure that'll become clear once the change happens.

Excellent news, in effect we should have a virtual increase on the 1tb limit as we will be able to fit more recordings onto it.

Maybe this is why they never bothered with a 2tb TiVo after all.

jj20x 25-05-2017 00:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35900320)
Excellent news, in effect we should have a virtual increase on the 1tb limit as we will be able to fit more recordings onto it.

When they actually start using MPEG4 on the linear channels. The last scan data I received showed that it was used on a round number of video streams, that round number being zero. At present, MPEG4 only seems to be used for on-demand content. Let's see how things actually change when the SA V+ boxes are finally removed from service.

Quote:

Maybe this is why they never bothered with a 2tb TiVo after all.
Hmmm... I don't know about that. In general, given more space, people just record more to fill it and watch at their leisure. :D

denphone 25-05-2017 05:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by jj20x (Post 35900321)
When they actually start using MPEG4 on the linear channels. The last scan data I received showed that it was used on a round number of video streams, that round number being zero. At present, MPEG4 only seems to be used for on-demand content. Let's see how things actually change when the SA V+ boxes are finally removed from service.

Hmmm... I don't know about that. In general, given more space, people just record more to fill it and watch at their leisure. :D

Like our household.:)

The Yank 25-05-2017 09:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35900250)
Yes - end of this month. At some point after that, Virgin Media will move all HD channels over to MPEG4.

so the Samsung V+ box is MPEG4 and hence future proof (for now).

BenMcr 25-05-2017 09:49

Yes both the Samsung V+ HD and the Cisco V HD boxes are both MPEG4 compatible.

vincerooney 25-05-2017 11:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhatter67 (Post 35900108)
I take it in the foreseeable future VM are not getting any new channels?

i think so...

morning all. Hope you're still all handsome and lovely

OLD BOY 25-05-2017 15:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhatter67 (Post 35900108)
I take it in the foreseeable future VM are not getting any new channels?

There are no decent new channels on the Horizon unless VM has managed to get a new deal with Sky, as has been rumoured.

If we get anything of note, I think it will be on demand, which is almost certainly where any new UHD content will turn up.

RichardCoulter 26-05-2017 02:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35900333)

How much more recording could we do on a 1tb box if/when VM change to Mpeg 4?

---------- Post added at 01:04 ---------- Previous post was at 01:03 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 35900343)
i think so...

morning all. Hope you're still all handsome and lovely

Talking Pictures might be coming.

jj20x 26-05-2017 03:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35900429)
How much more recording could we do on a 1tb box if/when VM change to Mpeg 4?

Nobody can put an exact figure on that. Even now, with MPEG2, video streams run at different bitrates. Universal HD generally has a higher bitrate than, say, Fox HD. With a 100% full TiVo you could potentially delete a 1 hour recording made from Universal HD and create enough space to record 2, 1 hour, recordings from Fox HD. Sky Sports HD channels have even greater bitrates than Universal HD. There is no accurate answer, it depends on what you record and the amount of data in the individual video stream being recorded.

The only accurate answer is that MPEG4 would take up less space than MPEG2. Exactly how much less? How long is a piece of string?

[In certain circumstances, MPEG4 can be around twice as efficient as MPEG2. That doesn't really mean that MPEG4 would double the capacity of the box. Other factors are involved.]

---------- Post added at 03:24 ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35900429)
Talking Pictures might be coming.

Or maybe it is just visiting, following the trend set by Amazon Video and Viceland. I tend to think of it along the lines of students getting the feel of a new school on an open day. ;)

OLD BOY 26-05-2017 09:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by jj20x (Post 35900321)

That's right, but more recording capacity is badly needed in my house. I found my V6 99% full two days ago - just got to it in time to prevent arbitrary deletions!

---------- Post added at 09:40 ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by jj20x (Post 35900433)
Nobody can put an exact figure on that. Even now, with MPEG2, video streams run at different bitrates. Universal HD generally has a higher bitrate than, say, Fox HD. With a 100% full TiVo you could potentially delete a 1 hour recording made from Universal HD and create enough space to record 2, 1 hour, recordings from Fox HD. Sky Sports HD channels have even greater bitrates than Universal HD. There is no accurate answer, it depends on what you record and the amount of data in the individual video stream being recorded.

The only accurate answer is that MPEG4 would take up less space than MPEG2. Exactly how much less? How long is a piece of string?

[In certain circumstances, MPEG4 can be around twice as efficient as MPEG2. That doesn't really mean that MPEG4 would double the capacity of the box. Other factors are involved.

That's interesting - thank you for that. So maybe I'll get 50% more space on my V6 all in all once all my existing recordings have been watched. That will certainly be handy.

denphone 26-05-2017 10:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35900456)
That's right, but more recording capacity is badly needed in my house. I found my V6 99% full two days ago - just got to it in time to prevent arbitrary deletions

99% full.:shocked:

The Yank 26-05-2017 10:15

Quote:

was unaware about the V HD box - can't see Cisco written on mine but would imagine I would have been notified if mine was at risk.

mhatter67 26-05-2017 11:37

Quote:

I suppose Ben we are along way off for the SD channels being compressed to MPEG4 because there are a load of legacy SD only boxes out there I suppose?