Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709417)

jfman 13-10-2020 07:28

Re: Coronavirus

I guess I'm curious, when would Pierre intervene? If we accept that the figures are going up and intervention is inevitable, what is the benefit of delay?

OLD BOY 13-10-2020 07:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36053475)
I guess I'm curious, when would Pierre intervene? If we accept that the figures are going up and intervention is inevitable, what is the benefit of delay?

Futility of lockdowns?

jfman 13-10-2020 07:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36053477)
Futility of lockdowns?

Ah, so if it’s deciding to never intervene we know how flawed that idea is it’s unworthy of further comment.

Pierre 13-10-2020 07:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36053475)

I would follow the government’s own advice, when “ the NHS is in danger of being overwhelmed”.

Which it isn’t even close to at the moment.

jfman 13-10-2020 08:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36053479)
I would follow the government’s own advice, when “ the NHS is in danger of being overwhelmed”.

What figures would you attribute to that level? Would you factor in projected rise in growth or just wait til the last bed was full? If you did factor in projected growth what would you take into consideration?

papa smurf 13-10-2020 08:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36053480)
What figures would you attribute to that level? Would you factor in projected rise in growth or just wait til the last bed was full? If you did factor in projected growth what would you take into consideration?

Just how long are you planning to live in the cupboard under the stairs hiding away, are you pre programmed to live in fear or is something that has developed recently,when was the last time you felt the sun on your face or fresh crisp air in your lungs.

Maggy 13-10-2020 09:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36053468)
You can have as many hospitals, beds and ventilators as you like. If you don't have enough ITU nurses its pointless. A ventilator needs a trained nurse 24/7.

:tu:

jfman 13-10-2020 09:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36053482)
Just how long are you planning to live in the cupboard under the stairs hiding away, are you pre programmed to live in fear or is something that has developed recently,when was the last time you felt the sun on your face or fresh crisp air in your lungs.

A couple of weeks ago when I went on holiday. :)

Don’t get much sunshine or fresh air where I live.

tweetiepooh 13-10-2020 10:01

We do need to take care with this virus and it's those who are really not taking care that need to brought to book. Those holding large parties and the like. They do get caught and fined but by that point it's likely the damage has been done.

But there is the issue of paying for all of this. Large tax rises that the really wealthy will avoid and the really poor can't pay so it's left to the middle (probably most of those on here) to pick up the tab. There is talk of end to free banking with interest rates possibly going below zero. More cost. But what is the alternative?

GrimUpNorth 13-10-2020 10:07

The number of Covid inpatients at our local hospital went from 51 at 8am on Friday to 67 at 8am yesterday (Monday). End of August there were 4 inpatients.

Whilst I worry about the impact on the economy I think more needs to be done to stop the spread. I'd be interested to know from those that want the country to throw caution to the wind, what would you choose - a lower standard of living or be dead and have no standard of living?

papa smurf 13-10-2020 10:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth (Post 36053487)
The number of Covid inpatients at our local hospital went from 51 at 8am on Friday to 67 at 8am yesterday (Monday). End of August there were 4 inpatients.

Whilst I worry about the impact on the economy I think more needs to be done to stop the spread. I'd be interested to know from those that want the country to throw caution to the wind, what would you choose - a lower standard of living or be dead and have no standard of living?

Your way or dead let me have a think about it :rolleyes:

GrimUpNorth 13-10-2020 10:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36053488)
Your way or dead let me have a think about it :rolleyes:

Your way is better how?

papa smurf 13-10-2020 10:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth (Post 36053489)
Your way is better how?

I don't actually have a way,i would not presume to make people bend to my will. especially when the choice is a poor standard of living or dead.

Hugh 13-10-2020 11:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36053479)

Problem is that there is often a 2 to 3 week lag between initial infection and admittance to hospital - waiting until the NHS is in danger of being overwhelmed is like only applying your car brakes when you are 5 feet from the car in front.

downquark1 13-10-2020 11:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36053495)
Problem is that there is often a 2 to 3 week lag between initial infection and admittance to hospital - waiting until the NHS is in danger of being overwhelmed is like only applying your car brakes when you are 5 feet from the car in front.

Yes but you can wait until the NHS is projected to be under load. There is now masses of data so this should be possible.