Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Sport (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Tennis : The General Tennis Thread (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33638373)

Damien 08-07-2012 21:55

Re: Tennis

Federer is the greatest, quite literally when it comes to Tennis. He doesn't come across as arrogant at all in my view either.

Osem 08-07-2012 22:00

I too am glad Federer won today. He deserved it and has been an exemplary champion over the many years he's been at the top. Contrast his professionalism, dedication and self control with some other leading sportsmen...

Murray played well but just wasn't good enough when it mattered most - I guess those are the times when the sort of experience and self belief Federer has add up to the difference between success and failure.

I've never been a big fan of Murray's on court attitude but was very impressed by the way in which he spoke after the match. He'll have won himself a great many new supporters (me included) through that moving and sincere display of humility and emotion. A great match and who knows, Murray's day at Wimbledon may still come.

Damien 08-07-2012 22:17

Yes, there was something very nice to see Federer win another grand slam having gone two years without one. I hope he has a couple more left, you don't want to see such a great era come to an end and I think that's why Federer enjoys so much support still.

danielf 08-07-2012 22:24

Further to that: very few players who lose the #1 ranking manage and get it back. Federer has now done that twice now. Many people had written him off but he's proved them wrong. He may have been lucky not having to face Nadal or Djokovic, but he played some awesome tennis when it mattered. Stuff that makes your jaw drop. Well done, and well-deserved, Roger. We love you.

Osem 08-07-2012 22:33

Not sure I 'love' him tbh but each to his own I suppose... :erm: :D

Paul 08-07-2012 22:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkC1984 (Post 35450960)
When Murray wins he is British, when he loses he becomes Scottish.

Win or lose, he is British, and we should be pround of him.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkC1984 (Post 35450960)
I am very (insert swear words here) that Federer won. Way too arrogant for my liking

Eh, Were you watching a different match :erm:

In what possible way was he arrogant :confused:

Osem 08-07-2012 22:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35450999)
Win or lose, he is British, and we should be pround of him.

Eh, Were you watching a different match :erm:

In what possible way was he arrogant :confused:

Beats me... :confused:

Maggy 08-07-2012 22:40

I think the comment that Murray might win at least one grand slam sort of came across as a bit patronising..possibly.:erm:

danielf 08-07-2012 22:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35451005)
I think the comment that Murray might win at least one grand slam sort of came across as a bit patronising..possibly.:erm:

Even then, I think Roger said Andy will (rather than might) at least one grand slam.

Osem 08-07-2012 22:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35451005)

Nah, he was just being considerate - didn't want to heap too much additional pressure of expectation on the home favourite. :D

MalteseFalcon 08-07-2012 23:11

I've never liked Federer, something about him makes me angry. I don't particularly like Murray either, but was hoping he would win over Fed today. Hopefully won't be too long before Fed is knocked back off top spot again. Sooner the better for me.

danielf 08-07-2012 23:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkC1984 (Post 35451017)
I've never liked Federer, something about him makes me angry.

Huh? What is it about sensational tennis that is about deftness of touch, reading of the game and superb shot making rather than sheer power that you don't like? It sounds to me like you don't like Tennis very much? :confused:

denphone 09-07-2012 05:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by danielf (Post 35450968)
Erm, he's only the most graceful player to have ever played the game. It's a delight to watch the man play, and he fully deserved today's win. I also don't find him arrogant at all. I'd have liked it if Murray had won, but he lost to the better player today.

Seconded.:tu:

Saaf_laandon_mo 09-07-2012 15:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by danielf (Post 35451022)
Huh? What is it about sensational tennis that is about deftness of touch, reading of the game and superb shot making rather than sheer power that you don't like? It sounds to me like you don't like Tennis very much? :confused:

I don't like Federer for the very same reason I never liked Sampras. When it comes to tennis they are perfect. It's there robotic nature that I have never liked. Almost non human - but that's because they are/were both so incredibly focussed when playing.

My fave players have always had this edgyness to them - McEnroe, Leconte, Agassi, even Murray.

I really wanted to see Murray win yesterday but unfortunately he came up against a tennis player who ended up playing some outstanding stuff and well deserved his victory!

By the way I think Murray crying at the end really showed how much he wanted to win Wimbledon. He's got all the money he needs, he desparately wants to win a grand slam. Unfortunately he is up against 3 of the best tennis players ever, all playing at the same time!

Julian 10-09-2012 22:41

What a first set in the US final!!!