Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33688944)

Mad Max 14-11-2020 14:44

Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36058152)
EPL was prevented from having an exclusive broadcaster (by EU I believe) some time ago, in the interest of competition - since then the rights have spiralled out of control.

As for a top match not being broadcast - this could happen when 2 unfancied sides are near the top of the league, because the matches are selected some time in advance.

---------- Post added at 12:54 ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 ----------

Just watching the Italy v Scotland match on Prime.

A couple of observations

1) the picture quality is not HD

2) the action doesn't flow as it would naturally - by this I mean it looks phrenetic - similar to when I have watched BT football streamed through a lap top onto a TV.

If streaming is the future it has to improve in quality.

Football?

Raider999 14-11-2020 14:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36058179)
Football?

No this was a rugby international - part of the Autumn Cup

Mad Max 14-11-2020 14:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36058180)
No this was a rugby international - part of the Autumn Cup

Ah, ok, thx.

Raider999 14-11-2020 16:20

Further to my observations re the Amazon Prime coverage of the Autumn Cup Rugby - my wife has just sat down to watch the second half of the England v Georgia game - the first thing she said was the picture quality was poor and we should complain if we are paying for it.

Thing is she doesn't normally notice the difference between SD and HD pictures.

Chad 14-11-2020 20:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36057780)
Don't pubs have broadband? Fire sticks?

Premier Sports has a commercial streaming partner

https://www.screach.com/streaming.html

I found this quite interesting as I wasn't aware bars could offer Premier Sports in this way

Chad 13-12-2020 12:59

According to this Wiki page Amazon Prime have the streaming rights to the French Ligue1 as of next year. Apparently for all games. Can't find anymore info on this anywhere.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spor...ive%20on%20S4C.

denphone 14-12-2020 13:36

BBC to show live Copa Libertadores matches.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55266129

Raider999 14-12-2020 21:25

Sky and Amazon have buried the hatchet with Prime app added to SkyQ boxes today, Amazon will get access to NowTV.

Article in Telegraph also suggests that the EPL hopes of Amazon and Sky fighting it out for packages in the next rights auction are a lot lower than they were.

Will the EPL now look to launch their own streaming service - they might show all the games not included in the packages and collect money from fans who want to watch their clubs?

If so they will have to price it accordingly - having found £14.99 per game was vilified Right Left and Centre.

vincerooney 14-12-2020 22:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36062307)
Sky and Amazon have buried the hatchet with Prime app added to SkyQ boxes today, Amazon will get access to NowTV.

Article in Telegraph also suggests that the EPL hopes of Amazon and Sky fighting it out for packages in the next rights auction are a lot lower than they were.

Will the EPL now look to launch their own streaming service - they might show all the games not included in the packages and collect money from fans who want to watch their clubs?

If so they will have to price it accordingly - having found £14.99 per game was vilified Right Left and Centre.

i'd imagine the streaming app would show games not live? Don't sky currently have the rights to show not live full matches?

denphone 15-12-2020 12:09

Ligue 1 clubs stare into financial abyss after huge TV deal collapses.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...apses-mediapro

Quote:

French clubs hoped they would be revitalised by an unprecedented TV rights deal worth more than €1.15bn per year (€814m a year from Mediapro and €330m from BeIN Sports). It was the second largest TV deal in Europe
Quote:

There had been concerns about Mediapro from the start. When the rights were sold in 2018, critics pointed out that a similar deal with Serie A had fallen through because the Spanish broadcaster had not offered adequate financial guarantees.

Raider999 15-12-2020 16:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36062310)
i'd imagine the streaming app would show games not live? Don't sky currently have the rights to show not live full matches?

Prior to Covid Sky had the rights to show a full re-run of the 'match of the day' at 8.30pm Saturdays, followed by 30 min highlights of other games.

This hasn't happened since covid.

It is possible any EPL streaming could be live or delayed if it happens at all

---------- Post added at 16:13 ---------- Previous post was at 16:09 ----------

Article in today's Telegraph states BT have bid slightly less than they currently pay when the contract expires in June. As this hasn't been accepted it states they are likely to walk away from Premier Rugby Coverage and spend up to £40m on other sports such as Cricket.

Not sure if that means £40m was their bit for rugby or not, but the article also states CVC are trying to extract an increase on the current terms despite the covid situation.

telegramsam 15-12-2020 18:55

Well poor picture quality again on the live game Wolves Chelsea on Amazon Prime. I'm guessing it's only live action where the problem is because watched film and Picard with very good picture quality. If the streamers want to be serious about selling us live sports events then something has to be sorted regarding this issue. Would love to know if anyone who has mega fast fibre broadband have the same problems?

denphone 15-12-2020 19:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by telegramsam (Post 36062371)
Well poor picture quality again on the live game Wolves Chelsea on Amazon Prime. I'm guessing it's only live action where the problem is because watched film and Picard with very good picture quality. If the streamers want to be serious about selling us live sports events then something has to be sorted regarding this issue. Would love to know if anyone who has mega fast fibre broadband have the same problems?

We don't have mega fast broadband but we have decent fibre broadband and like you l can report the picture quality was poor again in the first half at times.

telegramsam 15-12-2020 19:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36062372)
We don't have mega fast broadband but we have decent fibre broadband and like you l can report the picture quality was poor again in the first half at times.

Thanks. What I'm trying to establish is whether it's my poor broadband or a issue with live events being streamed,and from what you say it's the latter rather than my broadband.

gaz82 15-12-2020 20:34

Have you tried watching the game on a different device or just through the Virgin box?

I found on my Fire Stick that changing the output resolution in settings to 50Hz instead of Automatic fixed the poor juddery picture.

Not sure if the Virgin box has any similar settings (There's a setting on Sky Q boxes called Judder which also fixes the issue).