Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Coronavirus (OLD) (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33708712)

RichardCoulter 21-03-2020 17:53

Re: Coronavirus

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 28262

RichardCoulter 21-03-2020 17:54

Sorry about this being so small, I couldn't work out how to enlarge it.

It's about how we can say thank you to our NHS staff & carers.

heero_yuy 21-03-2020 18:40

As I posted in the other thread: Preview the post, click on the attached image to get the full size version, copy the board URL and then enclose it in [img]Download Failed (1)[/img] tags You can type these directly or access them from the editor toolbar (The small square with the pyramids in)

Recheck in preview and then post.

HTH

Pierre 21-03-2020 18:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36028305)

Whatever

Russ 21-03-2020 20:43

OK now things are getting properly stupid. I'm starting to see Facebook campaigns for "3 months of no council tax", "3 months off from paying car tax", and the best one so far, "No VAT for 3 months".

It goes some way to confirm my belief that when a government tries to help people, there will always be plenty who are only too ready to chance their luck for a freebie.

RichardCoulter 21-03-2020 21:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36028315)
Whatever

I think it's a good idea. It should show NHS staff & carers that we appreciate them and help people on their own in isolation feel less isolated.

Maggy 21-03-2020 23:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ (Post 36028328)
OK now things are getting properly stupid. I'm starting to see Facebook campaigns for "3 months of no council tax", "3 months off from paying car tax", and the best one so far, "No VAT for 3 months".

It goes some way to confirm my belief that when a government tries to help people, there will always be plenty who are only too ready to chance their luck for a freebie.

:tu:

TheDaddy 22-03-2020 00:50

Quote:

For every freeloader, every selfish hoarder or profiteer there's someone else doing something good for society, there stories are being lost in the maelstrom at the moment but the longer this goes on the more they'll surface, the people shopping for the elderly, bosses keeping pepple in work out of their own pockets, carers going above and beyond, volunteers delivering medical supplies and the thousands of retired NHS staff coming out of retirement to help out, I'd rather dwell on these people than the **** of the earth. Besides which we'll get our own back on the freeloaders, hoarders and profiteers as this isn't going to last forever but the stain on their characters in their communities just might.

Pierre 22-03-2020 08:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36028331)
I think it's a good idea. It should show NHS staff & carers that we appreciate them and help people on their own in isolation feel less isolated.

Pointless virtue signalling.

---------- Post added at 08:51 ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 ----------

Quote:

It’s already got into people’s heads that they are now entitled to 3 months off work paid!

Which is not the case.

You can still go out, and work. As long as you distance yourself and follow hygiene rules.

Hugh 22-03-2020 09:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36028342)
Pointless virtue signalling.

---------- Post added at 08:51 ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 ----------

It’s already got into people’s heads that they are now entitled to 3 months off work paid!

Which is not the case.

You can still go out, and work. As long as you distance yourself and follow hygiene rules.

Pointless cynicism - if it makes people feel good in a time of stress, and show NHS (and other public service) staff that they are appreciated, who is it hurting?

Maggy 22-03-2020 09:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36028344)
Pointless cynicism - if it makes people feel good in a time of stress, and show NHS (and other public service0 staff that they are appreciated, who is it hurting?

:clap::clap::clap:

Russ 22-03-2020 09:24

I think a more effective way to show NHS workers how much we appreciate their work is to not give them any hassle should we need them - when I was at Morriston hospital on Friday a nurse told me some people waiting for non-urgent appointments etc were getting pretty arsey towards them - and once all this has passed, unanimously pushing the government for a far more generous pay rise as well as reminding Boris of how his government decimated the NHS over the past 10 years when it comes to election time.

nomadking 22-03-2020 09:25

Quote:

Pointless cynicism - if it makes people feel good in a time of stress, and show NHS (and other public service0 staff that they are appreciated, who is it hurting?

The more people go on about showing support, the more people feel down when it isn't shown, whereas without any discussion they may not of thought about it either way.

Too many people in the media raising unnecessary issues and giving ready-made excuses for people's behaviour. Eg "We're social animals therefore gathering together is a must". Eg There was a documentary about wildlife around Wales. The rabbits isolated on an island didn't have the required resources to maintain reproducing at their normal rate. They reduced that rate in response to that. If they could behave themselves, why can't humans?:rolleyes:

Pierre 22-03-2020 10:11

Quote:

Pointless cynicism - if it makes people feel good in a time of stress, and show NHS (and other public service) staff that they are appreciated, who is it hurting?

No one, it’s just pointless

Hom3r 22-03-2020 11:13

The trouble is with limiting items is this.

My sister was buying food for 3 people so only bought what she wanted. but the checkout person said a two item limit.