Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Sport (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Football : Season 2016/2017 (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33703183)

denphone 02-03-2017 16:06

Re: Football Season 2016/2017

Quote:

Originally Posted by iadom (Post 35888170)
Posting elsewhere on the forums yesterday. ;)

Well at least we know that he is alive and that has to be good news. :)

iadom 02-03-2017 16:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35887262)
Pah they've been relegated loads of times...

Hmmm, according to this extract from an article in todays Telegraph, Leicester have performed better than lots of sides in the past 20 years, Spurs and the Hammers included. ;)

The notion that Leicester are a nonentity who should simply be grateful is somewhat undermined by their place in the trophy roll call of recent years. If one goes back to 1997, taking into account the three domestic trophies won in that year, and every year since then, the picture is quite striking.
From the 1996-97 season Manchester United have won the most with a combined total of 17 Premier League titles, FA Cups and League Cups. Next come Chelsea (14); Arsenal (9); Manchester City and Liverpool (5) and, in sixth place, are Leicester with three.

Leicester have more trophies than Spurs since 1997.
Historically they are ahead of clubs such as Tottenham, on two trophies since 1996-97, and Swansea City, Middlesbrough, Blackburn, Birmingham City, Portsmouth and Wigan Athletic, all on one.*
It should be said, as politely as possible, that the likes of Everton, West Ham, Southampton, Stoke City, Sunderland, Newcastle United, Aston Villa, West Bromwich Albion – we could go on here – have won none at all in those 21 years
. :angel:

adzii_nufc 02-03-2017 19:13

Hey, Spurs are fair game now. But us? Sunderland? WBA :rolleyes:

Fair enough in the 90's we came close and probably should have won the title on occasions as well as the FA Cup and repeated Semi finals and QF's in the Uefa Cup but using us now is no comparison for making them look better. We're a fallen club that's taken near enough 12 years just to get itself out of a hole. Sure we can lay claim to having a hefty stadium, a loyal fanbase and decent profits with cash reserves but by Christ we've been a broken club for years.

In better terms, Newcastle were once what Spurs are now...:erm: We're not expected to win trophies, the big club mantra that people talk about is non existent, it was just entitled people thinking Newcastle were owed a trophy, deserving of one maybe, but entitled to one? nah We've had the champions league nights, the close finishes and so forth, absolutely no different from Spurs rather than silly comparisons to United, Liverpool and so forth. Chelsea quickly rose and took the gap we left, after that we never came close to taking it back. It's fair so say they solidified it too.

Sunderland are in an absolute mess, the owner has no desire to fix it and they've all been thrown under the bus. Sunderland are not exactly shy of the experience in going down but they're in real trouble at the minute, similar to the Aston Villa meltdown.

TheDaddy 03-03-2017 00:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by iadom (Post 35888190)
Hmmm, according to this extract from an article in todays Telegraph, Leicester have performed better than lots of sides in the past 20 years, Spurs and the Hammers included. ;)

The notion that Leicester are a nonentity who should simply be grateful is somewhat undermined by their place in the trophy roll call of recent years. If one goes back to 1997, taking into account the three domestic trophies won in that year, and every year since then, the picture is quite striking.
From the 1996-97 season Manchester United have won the most with a combined total of 17 Premier League titles, FA Cups and League Cups. Next come Chelsea (14); Arsenal (9); Manchester City and Liverpool (5) and, in sixth place, are Leicester with three.

Leicester have more trophies than Spurs since 1997.
Historically they are ahead of clubs such as Tottenham, on two trophies since 1996-97, and Swansea City, Middlesbrough, Blackburn, Birmingham City, Portsmouth and Wigan Athletic, all on one.*
It should be said, as politely as possible, that the likes of Everton, West Ham, Southampton, Stoke City, Sunderland, Newcastle United, Aston Villa, West Bromwich Albion – we could go on here – have won none at all in those 21 years
. :angel:

But then the hammers are only one of seven teams iirc who have never been relegated out of the top 2 divisions (might not be 7 but it's low and Leicester aren't one of them), besides which my post was actually a joke about how dreadful it was to treat a manager that way when he'd brought them something they could only dream of etc

iadom 03-03-2017 22:13

But which would you sooner have on your CV, never in the third tier in 21 years or two League cups and one Premiership title. ;)

TheDaddy 03-03-2017 22:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by iadom (Post 35888413)
But which would you sooner have on your CV, never in the third tier in 21 years or two League cups and one Premiership title. ;)

Never relegated to third tier ever let alone 21 years. It's not what you want on your cv it's what you want to watch, I've enjoyed previous relegations as at least you watch the team win most weeks but that last season under fat boy was to much and no fun at all, I wouldn't swop it for anything let alone a poxy league cup.

adzii_nufc 04-03-2017 00:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35888414)
Never relegated to third tier ever let alone 21 years. It's not what you want on your cv it's what you want to watch, I've enjoyed previous relegations as at least you watch the team win most weeks but that last season under fat boy was to much and no fun at all, I wouldn't swop it for anything let alone a poxy league cup.

Nail and head, loving it so far :D

denphone 04-03-2017 14:27

Well Man Utd like Liverpool won't be qualifying for the Champions league judging by this performance this dinnertime.

iadom 04-03-2017 14:57

Yet again we let their keeper win MOM. Pretty poor performance all round, ref included.

adzii_nufc 04-03-2017 17:56

Tyrone Mings stamp was disgusting. Glad he at the least got an elbow for his troubles. He looks back when running over Ibra too, he knows he's there and in my opinion it's borderline deliberate. Credit to Ibra for not acting like a fanny though and delivering the people's elbow as fair justice.

Both will likely get bans on Monday for clear sending off offences missed by the ref. Ref had no control over the game to be fair.

denphone 04-03-2017 19:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by iadom (Post 35888521)
Yet again we let their keeper win MOM. Pretty poor performance all round, ref included.

Well at least our team has turned up this evening.:D:D

Julian 04-03-2017 22:36

Delivering the people's elbow??

Any credibility you had as a true football fan just disappeared.

adzii_nufc 04-03-2017 23:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julian (Post 35888618)

You best tell Alan Shearer that then, the master at sticking the elbow in when he got crunched from behind. That's exactly what Zlatan did, good old fashioned retribution from a classic strong forward. I much preferred the more physical side of the game we got 10-15 years ago over this ''I'll flop on the floor because he's blew on my shirt nonsense''. I miss the now rare breed of physical centre forward. Zlatan is exactly that though. I don't take it back, someones stuck one on him and he's done it right back.

TheDaddy 05-03-2017 08:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julian (Post 35888618)

It was a quite amusing line though to be fair

adzii_nufc 05-03-2017 16:35

Man City and their bogey :erm:

Great game earlier though between Spurs and Everton.

Nevermind, Aguero had other ideas.