Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710629)

SnoopZ 02-12-2021 10:06

Re: Coronavirus

Finally managed to book a Booster at a reasonable location and time, loads of options booking this morning compared to the last few days.

papa smurf 02-12-2021 10:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 36103888)
If you don't want to wear a mask, perhaps you could stay at home and order online instead. Thus, allowing the majority who have no issue whatsoever with wearing masks to go about their business in shops etc.

i went shopping yesterday and wore a mask, i just had a box of 50 delivered,
what i don't like is people barking orders about mask wearing hence the thumbs down.
i'm going out xmas shopping soon i might wear 2 masks just to show how virtuous i am, i hope this makes me upper class ;)

mrmistoffelees 02-12-2021 10:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36103890)
what i don't like is people barking orders about mask wearing hence the thumbs down.
i'm going out xmas shopping soon i might wear 2 masks just to show how virtuous i am, i hope this makes me upper class ;)

The 'barking orders' as you eloquently comes about because people who refuse to wear a mask and are puffing their chests out about protesting. whilst in reality the vast majority of which aren't really protesting merely using it as an excuse because they can't be bothered and/or have no consideration for others.

You're more likely to find that barking orders = frustration

Nothing, will ever make you upper class my man... not even a blood transfusion.

papa smurf 02-12-2021 10:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 36103891)
The 'barking orders' as you eloquently comes about because people who refuse to wear a mask and are puffing their chests out about protesting. whilst in reality the vast majority of which aren't really protesting merely using it as an excuse because they can't be bothered and/or have no consideration for others.

You're more likely to find that barking orders = frustration

Nothing, will ever make you upper class my man... not even a blood transfusion.

Not even shopping at Waitrose:erm:

mrmistoffelees 02-12-2021 10:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36103892)
[/B]

Not even shopping at Waitrose:erm:

Lower middle class that... Fortnum & Mason is where it's at ;)

papa smurf 02-12-2021 10:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 36103893)
Lower middle class that... Fortnum & Mason is where it's at ;)

:tu:

Sephiroth 02-12-2021 10:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36103890)

My comment - as expected/triggered: You'd need to go to Waitrose and John Lewis, Papa.

1andrew1 02-12-2021 11:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36103896)
My comment - as expected/triggered: You'd need to go to Waitrose and John Lewis, Papa.

I don't think there's many of those in Scunthorpe, Seph. However, if Johnson is serious about levelling-up the country, he will surely incentivise Waitrose to open a branch there, so Papa doesn't have to drive to Lincoln for his weekly shop. ;)

Hugh 02-12-2021 11:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36103867)
Fine and totally irrelevant to the discussion thanks.

Hope that helps

Strange - I thought they worked on the "precautionary principle", which seems fairly relevant.

You posted
Quote:

You can’t run the world or your life on the pre-cautionary principle
And masks work on the precautionary principle of "if you wear one, you’re less likely to infect others or be infected"…

Quote:

precautionary - carried out as a precaution; preventive; measure taken beforehand to prevent harm or secure good

papa smurf 02-12-2021 11:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36103900)
I don't think there's many of those in Scunthorpe, Seph. However, if Johnson is serious about levelling-up the country, he will surely incentivise Waitrose to open a branch there, so Papa doesn't have to drive to Lincoln for his weekly shop. ;)

Cleethorpes Andrew, I'm sure we had a Waitrose but now it's co-op.

but obviously i would wear a mask wherever it was.

Pierre 02-12-2021 11:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy (Post 36103884)
Oh for heaven's sake just wear the damned mask and wear it OVER your nose.

Oh for gods sake, just put your hand in the fire. Everybody else is doing it. If you’re a good person you’ll do it. I’m doing it, I’m a good person and morally superior to you.

What do you mean there’s no evidence that putting your hand in the fire will make a difference. It might make a difference isn’t that good enough for you. If we all put our hands in the fire like we’re told to by the government it possibly maybe might not hurt.

Oh for gods sake just do as your told, peasant.

---------- Post added at 11:39 ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36103902)
Strange - I thought they worked on the "precautionary principle", which seems fairly relevant.

You posted

And masks work on the precautionary principle of "if you wear one, you’re less likely to infect others or be infected"…

You obviously don’t know what the precautionary principle is then.

It’s not solved by calling Direct Line.

papa smurf 02-12-2021 11:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36103906)
Oh for gods sake, just put your hand in the fire. Everybody else is doing it. If you’re a good person you’ll do it. I’m doing it, I’m a good person and morally superior to you.

What do you mean there’s no evidence that putting your hand in the fire will make a difference. It might make a difference isn’t that good enough for you. If we all put our hands in the fire like we’re told to by the government it possibly maybe might not hurt.

:tu:

Jaymoss 02-12-2021 11:49

What happens if you have something on your hand that is growing could kill you and your loved ones and a good way of stopping it spreading is to put your hand in the fire. Would you then ??

mrmistoffelees 02-12-2021 12:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36103906)

---------- Post added at 11:39 ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 ----------

You obviously don’t know what the precautionary principle is then.

It’s not solved by calling Direct Line.

There's well known,peer reviewed & documented evidence that putting your hand in a fire will cause you significant damage and pain up to and including death (should an infection come about as a result)

There's no known evidence supporting the same thing with wearing a mask, there is however peer reviewed & documented evidence that says masks may offer a degree of transmission reduction.

It's not about being morally superior, it's about having some common sense and consideration for others, something which in quite a few anti-maskers seems to be lacking (not necessarily yourself)

Jaymoss 02-12-2021 12:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 36103925)

It's not about being morally superior, it's about having some common sense and consideration for others, something which in quite a few anti-maskers seems to be lacking (not necessarily yourself)

TBH having common sense and consideration for others does make you morally superior to those who only think of themselves.