Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   VOD : Netflix/Streaming Services (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33695779)

harry_hitch 16-10-2014 20:47

Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:

Originally Posted by devilincarnate (Post 35735754)

Cool. If all companies follow suite, in 5 years time I could see VM/TIVO offering customers tv packages (as they currently stand) or an app based streaming service package with the free TV package. I, for one, would happily drop my XL TV package (and the vast amount of dross shown on it) and choose and pay for what streaming services I would prefer to watch.

muppetman11 16-10-2014 20:53

Considering I watch content on a multitude of channels from numerous US studios ie ABC , NBC , Fox , HBO , Showtime , The CW etc this kind of pricing would probably cost me a whole lot more than the current pay TV bundles , it may be suitable for some people sadly I'm not sure I'm one.

theone2k10 16-10-2014 21:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35735774)
Considering I watch content on a multitude of channels from numerous US studios ie ABC , NBC , Fox , HBO , Showtime , The CW etc this kind of pricing would probably cost me a whole lot more than the current pay TV bundles , it may be suitable for some people sadly I'm not sure I'm one.

I think the companies will continue working with providers going by what HBO are saying they said they basically intend to work with it's current partners but the aim of going solo is there are 80 million households in the US without HBO and they want to basically get as many as they can.

passingbat 16-10-2014 21:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by steveh (Post 35735726)
If you were HBO, would you prefer a) guaranteed income over 7 years from a single company who handle everything for you in a particular territory and are paying a premium for exclusivity or b) implementing IPTV technology, billing systems, customer support, marketing and everything else needed to go it alone?

This is a big reason why HBO have previously resisted a streaming service (independent of a cable subscription) in the US. The increasing popularity of 'Cord Cutting' has changed the landscape.

muppetman11 24-10-2014 11:28

YouView finally gets BBC Connected Red Button plus 30 day iPlayer catch-ups

Link

theone2k10 26-10-2014 12:09

Regarding WWE Network this post from Dspy is rather interesting it basically states that WWE Network will never be part of Skys programming.
Quote:

I'm just as disappointed as you regarding the delay. Not really sure what is going on behind the scenes at WWE but I am sure the delay will be all in the fans benefit in the long run. Cole and Jerry announced Oct 1st live on Raw so this delay is clearly unavoidable. What I can tell you for sure is that the WWE Network will never be part of the Sky programming, the nature of the product just wouldn't fit with our setup. The WWE Network is exclusively a steaming service like Netflix or Hulu. Chat about WWE more here on the centralised thread on the Sky Community - http://bit.ly/1thoMXS . Chris
<--- that link will take you direct to Skys WWE forums.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showp...postcount=1635

vincerooney 26-10-2014 12:34

I wonder what the delay is then? Wwe begging sky to change their mind?

OLD BOY 26-10-2014 13:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by steveh (Post 35735726)
If you were HBO, would you prefer a) guaranteed income over 7 years from a single company who handle everything for you in a particular territory and are paying a premium for exclusivity or b) implementing IPTV technology, billing systems, customer support, marketing and everything else needed to go it alone?

Maybe also worth pointing out that HBO Nordic is in partnership with and delivered by a local company with extensive pay TV experience in that market.

Just seen this post, Steve. I guess that the reason that b) in this country might be more attractive to HBO is that it will be able to reach more of its audience and reduce piracy by making its programmes available to all those who want to subscribe.

HBO must be reducing its ability to make money by putting all its eggs in Sky's basket.

denphone 26-10-2014 14:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35737586)
Just seen this post, Steve. I guess that the reason that b) in this country might be more attractive to HBO is that it will be able to reach more of its audience and reduce piracy by making its programmes available to all those who want to subscribe.

HBO must be reducing its ability to make money by putting all its eggs in Sky's basket.

Its called selling out for the big buck.

theone2k10 26-10-2014 15:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 35737564)
I wonder what the delay is then? Wwe begging sky to change their mind?

No idea mate i'm trying to find out i will ofcourse provide updates once i get information.

Tricky Trevor 28-10-2014 06:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 35735723)
What's the whole spotify offer? It appears in "offers" but offers me the opportunity to link my account to spotify (what is the point?) and states there are no deals currently. I don't even see why vm were advertising spotify?

As from Friday Vince,I had been unable to access my Spotify Premium account on any of my 5 devices via Virgin and kept getting messages to upgrade to Premium. After being on the phone for 50 minutes and passed around 5 CS ops (between uk and India and back again) they finally told me that the partnership between Spotify and Virgin Media has now ended.

I have now started my Premium account directly with Spotify.

Why don't they tell their customers this in advance? Yet another example of lack of communication between Virgin Media and their customers. :mad:

jobbie8 28-10-2014 07:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tricky Trevor:35737801

As from Friday Vince,I had been unable to access my Spotify Premium account on any of my 5 devices via Virgin and kept getting messages to upgrade to Premium. After being on the phone for 50 minutes and passed around 5 CS ops (between uk and India and back again) they finally told me that the partnership between Spotify and Virgin Media has now ended.

I have now started my Premium account directly with Spotify.

Why don't they tell their customers this in advance? Yet another example of lack of communication between Virgin Media and their customers. :mad:

Same here, although it was Saturday when we lost Spotify.
Called up Sunday, Scottish guy who had to find out from his manager that VM don't offer Spotify anymore.
I haven't had any warning of this, which is really bad from VM.
Also my bill had just generated so I am being charged £9.99 for next month.

Tricky Trevor 28-10-2014 13:52

The first guy I spoke to was scottish and while I was talking I was cut off! He and another CS Op tried to blame it on a broadband outage which was BS considering I couldn't get Spotify on my mobile through my date.

After the call finished I noticed on my desktop Spotify app that there was a message that the partnership with Virgin Media had ended with a link to pay them directly.

1andrew1 28-10-2014 14:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35737586)

I think Steve's point is that the premium which HBO is able to charge Sky for exclusitivity more than makes up for the reduction in potential viewers by not being on more platforms.

---------- Post added at 14:30 ---------- Previous post was at 14:04 ----------

A new streaming stick out from Amazon in the US. Looks quite powerful.
http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2014/...le-chromecast/

passingbat 28-10-2014 15:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35737867)
I think Steve's point is that the premium which HBO is able to charge Sky for exclusitivity more than makes up for the reduction in potential viewers by not being on more platforms.

Much as I hate to admit it, if HBO launched a streaming version in the UK and dumped the Sky deal, I think HBO would see their UK income down by many millions of pounds.

Given that they can't dump the Sky deal for several years, it's academic anyway.

When the Sky deal does expire, streaming will be more popular, but I still wouldn't rule out another HBO/Sky deal at that point.

I think Sky want it for 'up-market' prestige and a perceived USP and don't care if the number of viewers they get doesn't justify the cost.

I don't think there is a big enough demand for the HBO type of gritty show in the UK, otherwise, why would Channel 5 have dropped such shows as Justified and Sons of Anarchy?