Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : Virgin TV 360 users (Horizon) (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709333)

jfman 23-06-2021 18:40

Re: Virgin TV 360 users (Horizon)

So despite this glorious streaming future in place you have a three month backlog of linear content to catch up on?

I’d be hitting the cancel button on all those subs for three months and save yourself a small fortune. Who knows by the end of month three you might have found a further 40 hours worth watching or so.

OLD BOY 23-06-2021 23:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36084166)
So despite this glorious streaming future in place you have a three month backlog of linear content to catch up on?

I’d be hitting the cancel button on all those subs for three months and save yourself a small fortune. Who knows by the end of month three you might have found a further 40 hours worth watching or so.

Why are you having such difficulty separating the present from the future?

Quite extraordinary.

Hugh 23-06-2021 23:15

Speaking of the present…

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-b1869617.html

Quote:

Netflix will reportedly be subject to regulation under UK broadcast watchdog Ofcom, with government plans set to be announced this week.

Along with other streaming services such as Amazon Prime Video and Disney Plus, Netflix currently falls outside Ofcom’s jurisdiction.

The prospective changes would see the regulator given the power to adjudicate on complaints over issues of rule relating to bias and inaccuracy.

It is hoped that the changes would provide a boost to the nation’s traditional broadcasters, such as the BBC.
And as Oliver Dowden recently said in the Times.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/o...flix-n3w26x5fz
Quote:

It’s a golden age for TV and I want to keep it that way. But to do that we need the healthiest broadcasting landscape: one that is diverse, free and pluralistic. One where streamers can keep churning out brilliant shows, while traditional public service broadcasters retain their place at the centre of the UK’s media ecosystem.
Looks as if PSB will be with us for quite a while…

jfman 24-06-2021 00:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36084194)

Quite extraordinary.

The next 3 months is the future!

Happy viewing.

spiderplant 24-06-2021 14:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36084194)

Quite extraordinary.

With compression improvements and a larger HDD, the V6 /360 can record around 24 times as much as a V+, yet you still manage to fill it. Just imagine how much you'll be recording by 2035 ;)

mrmistoffelees 06-07-2021 10:04

I've got my new remotes being delivered today, how difficult is the upgrade of the V6 box to 360 ?

Rob King 06-07-2021 10:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 36085373)
I've got my new remotes being delivered today, how difficult is the upgrade of the V6 box to 360 ?

Mine took about 15 mins just make a note of any series links / recordings as it wipes the lot

mrmistoffelees 06-07-2021 10:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob King (Post 36085380)
Mine took about 15 mins just make a note of any series links / recordings as it wipes the lot

TBH the V6 boxes have got 5 years of series links that I've never bothered to housekeep, recordings same thing :D

spiderplant 06-07-2021 11:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 36085373)

Should be easy. Make sure both boxes are turned on, then run the conversion app on either one of the boxes (using the old V6 remote). It will tell you when to switch to using the new remote. The second box should then convert itself automatically.

mrmistoffelees 06-07-2021 13:11

Yep, really easy upgrade process, pleasantly surprised at how smooth it was

Mad Max 08-07-2021 20:08

What's Virgin Media's plan for these new boxes, are they wanting everyone changed over to them? I haven't even been offered Horizon, my V6 boxes do a good enough job.

thelem 09-07-2021 17:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36085697)
What's Virgin Media's plan for these new boxes, are they wanting everyone changed over to them?

Eventually, yes, because they won't want to pay for the maintenance of two systems. A lot of that will happen through normal churn as customers leave and new customers are given a 360/Horizon box. If a box fails I imagine it will be replaced with a 360 box too, unless there are other V6s in the home and the customer doesn't want to lose their recordings.

At some point they'll start to forcibly move customers onto the new platform so they can turn off the old one, but there are no indications that will be any time soon. They still have "Tivo" boxes (pre-V6), and it's not that long ago that they got rid of the final ntl/Telewest era boxes.

Ask again in a few years.

jobbie8 10-07-2021 14:21

I've had the 360 software for a few months now, I'm pleased with it and have not had many issues to note.
I do miss being able to choose a tuner and rewind, although I've found the 'restart' option has filled in for most things I watch.

How is everybody else finding the 360?

OLD BOY 10-07-2021 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by jobbie8 (Post 36085832)
I've had the 360 software for a few months now, I'm pleased with it and have not had many issues to note.
I do miss being able to choose a tuner and rewind, although I've found the 'restart' option has filled in for most things I watch.

How is everybody else finding the 360?

It’s good. My wife and I have our own watchlists, and there is a separate wish list for both of us. Bookmarks are much easier to set. I find it strange that we can separate the wish lists in this way, but we can’t do that with the recordings.

We still haven’t got All4, which is annoying. And of course you cannot add Netflix content to the watchlist (due to current Netflix policy).

One thing that I find lacking in respect of the system is the ability to set a manual recording. That would be useful. At present, if we want to set the recorder for the regional news after News At 10, we have to set each programme separately, otherwise all three bulletins each day get recorded.

Overall, I am happy that I made the change.

vincerooney 11-07-2021 02:12

I have 3 tivo boxes so i assume we're still unable to move to horizon software without an engineer coming?

What else is still missing from the apps other than All4?

Last time i checked people told me to just keep with my current V6 boxes so i'm wondering if this advice has changed!