Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Police to get tough on internet trolls. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33703445)

Hugh 23-12-2020 10:29

Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36063415)
Ive used several different ones over the past few years, currently using Windscribe.

Free or Pro?

pip08456 23-12-2020 11:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36063423)
Free or Pro?

Custom.

Hugh 23-12-2020 12:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36063433)
Custom.

Thanks

Mad Max 23-12-2020 14:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36063415)
Ive used several different ones over the past few years, currently using Windscribe.

Gets a pretty good write up here..

https://www.techradar.com/uk/reviews/windscribe

RichardCoulter 24-12-2020 09:18

So if the free ones are as good as the paid for VPN's, why would anyone pay for a VPN??

pip08456 24-12-2020 10:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36063550)
So if the free ones are as good as the paid for VPN's, why would anyone pay for a VPN??

Who said the free ones were as good as the paid ones?

RichardCoulter 24-12-2020 15:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36063561)
Who said the free ones were as good as the paid ones?

Sirius said that there are plenty of free VPN's that aren't dodgy, which I took to mean that they are as good as the paid ones. Is this not the case? What i'm really wanting to know is what extra do you get for your money?

Also, how do the free ones make their profit? Even if they aren't dodgy as such do they, for example, sell on certain details of your internet traffic to advertisers or something?

Why would a customer like yourself who'se used both paid and free services ever pay for a VPN ever again?

Sirius 24-12-2020 20:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36063640)
Sirius said that there are plenty of free VPN's that aren't dodgy, which I took to mean that they are as good as the paid ones. Is this not the case? What i'm really wanting to know is what extra do you get for your money?

Also, how do the free ones make their profit? Even if they aren't dodgy as such do they, for example, sell on certain details of your internet traffic to advertisers or something?

Why would a customer like yourself who'se used both paid and free services ever pay for a VPN ever again?

what i meant was that there are free VPN providers not run by dodgy providers. A paid service will nearly always give you a much better option. The option i always look for is that the provider does not keep logs. You never know when a dodgy law will come in to effect that removes yet more privacy and freedom. Not that i am doing anything dodgy i just don't see why my surfing the net should be watched.

pip08456 24-12-2020 20:51

^^^^What he said^^^^

There's also the matter of speeds.

RichardCoulter 25-12-2020 01:46

Interesting, thanks. I suppose the free ones may also limit how much bandwidth you can use, with an option to purchase more and that's how they make their money.

So do the free ones tend to be slower? Are the paid ones just as fast as not using a VPN at all?

Maggy 25-12-2020 08:54

I am wondering just whether everyone is sticking to the topic?

OLD BOY 26-12-2020 13:27

I guess they are - just - because if those posts causing problems are sent via a VPN, this will be an impediment to tracking down who sent them, and if decent VPNs are free, this makes it easy for anyone to be able to hide behind anonymity.

RichardCoulter 02-03-2021 06:04

An interesting programme on Radio 4 yesterday:

"In the early days of the internet, trolls were nothing to fear.

Malicious trolls are now the dominant type across our shared internet spaces, their numbers are rising, and their influence spreading both online and off, causing harm to both individuals and wider society.

Aleks Krotoski explores troll evolution, finding out why maliciousness became an evolutionary advantage in the digital space, and asking what happens when being a troll is becoming the new normal.'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000sqsb

alanbjames 02-03-2021 07:17

Why not just trace the IP Address of the Troll? Most Trolls dont have the knowledge to hide their IP via a VPN etc they r just gormless.

GrimUpNorth 02-03-2021 08:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanbjames (Post 36072609)
Why not just trace the IP Address of the Troll? Most Trolls dont have the knowledge to hide their IP via a VPN etc they r just gormless.

Thanks Alan, one of my late dads favourite words - haven't heard it since we lost him so nearly 10 years - brought back some happy memories and gave me something to smile about :):):)