Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   VOD : Netflix/Streaming Services (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33695779)

andy_m 26-09-2014 17:04

Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35731262)
But no problem with the fact that when you buy certain products, you're paying more than you need to because part of the cost is funding ITV Shows? ;)

Go on, show me where I've said that.

ozsat 26-09-2014 17:27

If yout watch WWE then is no pretence that what you are watching is sport.

Their documentaries have made it clear that the title win can be determined a year in advance and story lines are produced with that in mind.

It is scripted storylines - just like Coronation Street / EastEnders - and 90% of all tv.

If you want to talk about 'fixing' then football, cricket and horse racing spings to mind - so of those events pretend to be undetermind in advance!

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35731058)
Its a total waste as we all know WWE is a total fix at the end of the day.

Mad Max 26-09-2014 17:30

Quote:

If you want to talk about 'fixing' then football, cricket and horse racing spings to mind!
I don't think that you can judge the above sports against WWE imo.

ozsat 26-09-2014 17:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35731260)
I'm not saying they can't watch the product - they have every right to do so. But it's scripted entertainment, not sport. It can't be sport if there is no competitive element, and the competitive element in this instance is removed by it being scripted. So it has no place taking money from sports subscribers as far as I'm concerned. More to the point, WWE fans shouldn't have to pay a sports subscription to watch it! Put it on an entertainment channel and be honest about what it is.

I also have issues with the licence fee and the BBC in general.

Sky put it on Sports channels.

In the US it is NOT on sports channels - SyFy and USA Network show them.

---------- Post added at 17:35 ---------- Previous post was at 17:31 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35731293)
I don't think that you can judge the above sports against WWE imo.

You said it was fixed - that implies it pretends to be real.

If you watch it you will see it makes it clear it is a show.

Sky confuse things by putting it on Sky Sports - which I expect it does as it can charge a premium for it.

passingbat 26-09-2014 18:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35731289)
Go on, show me where I've said that.

As far as I know you haven't.

But your post seemed to suggest that you are against being forced to pay the licence fee to fund BBC content, but didn't mention ITV, which is an equally forced way; just not as directly obvious. I just questioned why you didn't mention ITV.

zantarous 26-09-2014 19:02

Whether it is fixed or not, those guys are huge athletes and train very hard. Put it this way look how big they are, it is not like they can't hurt you, would you fight one of them? Many wrestles have broken multiple bones and had horrendous injuries and put their body through things that would make a normal human cringe.

I stopped watching a long time ago, it may not be a sport but if you enjoy it it doesn't really matter.

andy_m 26-09-2014 22:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35731301)
As far as I know you haven't.

But your post seemed to suggest that you are against being forced to pay the licence fee to fund BBC content, but didn't mention ITV, which is an equally forced way; just not as directly obvious. I just questioned why you didn't mention ITV.

Because I was replying directly to a post about the use of the licence fee.

---------- Post added at 22:16 ---------- Previous post was at 22:14 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozsat (Post 35731294)
Sky put it on Sports channels.

In the US it is NOT on sports channels - SyFy and USA Network show them.

---------- Post added at 17:35 ---------- Previous post was at 17:31 ----------

You said it was fixed - that implies it pretends to be real.

If you watch it you will see it makes it clear it is a show.

Sky confuse things by putting it on Sky Sports - which I expect it does as it can charge a premium for it.

I'm not blaming WWE for it being on Sky Sports, I'm merely saying it shouldn't be.

passingbat 28-09-2014 16:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35726361)
Roku has 4oD , Demand 5 , ITV Player , BBC IPlayer , Netflix , Now TV , YouTube the only major one missing sadly is Amazon Instant

There are posts on the internet suggesting that Sky are blocking this to stifle competition with Now TV. The suggestion is that their investment in Roku gives them that sort of clout. It does seem strange that Amazon Instant is on the US Roku. Netflix is there, but that was an existing app before Sky got involved with Roku.

muppetman11 28-09-2014 23:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35731690)
There are posts on the internet suggesting that Sky are blocking this to stifle competition with Now TV. The suggestion is that their investment in Roku gives them that sort of clout. It does seem strange that Amazon Instant is on the US Roku. Netflix is there, but that was an existing app before Sky got involved with Roku.

Could be the case who knows , I've also heard Roku are now looking for improved commercial deals with its channel owners so could as easily be that as I'd imagine Amazon would get high use meaning Roku may want a favourable deal.

theone2k10 29-09-2014 01:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35731742)
Could be the case who knows , I've also heard Roku are now looking for improved commercial deals with its channel owners so could as easily be that as I'd imagine Amazon would get high use meaning Roku may want a favourable deal.

I know Apple are negotiating deals direct with Networks in both usa and uk i wonder if this is the route ROKU and possibly Google will take too.

steveh 29-09-2014 09:06

Historically because of the Lovefilm acquisition, Amazon's streaming in the UK was via different tech to that in the USA. While that's no longer the case it may also explain why it didn't appear on the Roku boxes.

passingbat 29-09-2014 09:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by steveh (Post 35731776)
Historically because of the Lovefilm acquisition, Amazon's streaming in the UK was via different tech to that in the USA. While that's no longer the case it may also explain why it didn't appear on the Roku boxes.

But Amazon Prime UK has been going long enough now for Roku to have ported the US app to a UK version if they wanted to.

theone2k10 30-09-2014 11:01

WWE network launch in uk has been postponed http://www.lordsofpain.net/news/wwe/...own_Match.html

muppetman11 30-09-2014 20:23

Interesting article about Netflix appearing on YouView , it also mentions talks to sign commercial agreements with BT and Talk Talk to bundle the service.

Story

muppetman11 01-10-2014 10:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by harry_hitch (Post 35730660)
Not sure if this article will interest anyone, I found that it did not really go to into enough detail regarding the headline, but the headline is an interesting proposition none the less. Unless they offer all the extras you get from dvds/blurays, I will stick mainly to blurays.

http://www.empireonline.com/features...aming-services

The video streaming site Netflix will release its first feature-length film next year after striking a deal with the Weinstein Company.

Story