Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709417)

OLD BOY 13-10-2021 19:28

Re: Coronavirus

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 36097193)
Surely the government didn’t need to be told by SAGE about the situation in Europe who were approx some six weeks ahead of us in terms of infection rates, hospitalisations, deaths & lockdowns.

They knew that. BUT:

Sage was advising not to lock down too early because the fear was that people would get fed up and start breaking the rules just at a crucial point, when the infection rate started to come down, AND

We did not have a vaccine, and so lockdowns by themselves would not take out the virus. It would simply come back when the lockdown was withdrawn.

If the government was supremely confident that a vaccine was just around the corner, their decisions would almost certainly have been different.

jfman 13-10-2021 21:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36097311)
They knew that. BUT:

Sage was advising not to lock down too early because the fear was that people would get fed up and start breaking the rules just at a crucial point, when the infection rate started to come down, AND

We did not have a vaccine, and so lockdowns by themselves would not take out the virus. It would simply come back when the lockdown was withdrawn.

If the government was supremely confident that a vaccine was just around the corner, their decisions would almost certainly have been different.

When did you lock down OB?

Sephiroth 13-10-2021 21:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36097314)

Don't answer that, OB.

Hugh 13-10-2021 21:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36097282)
Yes interesting one this, Merck that also produced Ivermectin that was reported to alleviate COVID hospitalization and deaths but has been rubbished left right and centre and ‘no evidence’. Etc etc. Merck’s patent on Ivermectin has ran out meaning it can be produced for about £5 a dose.

But now Merck have produced a new drug “Molnupiravur” which is totally effective against COVID and nothing like Ivermectin guvenor oh no, this is the proper stuff you want.

Price for you? I can do it for £750 a dose.

Good news for all those born yesterday.

For those born today, here is the reality, not the Internet conspiracy theory…

https://www.reuters.com/article/fact...-idUSL1N2R32JP
Quote:

Dr. Stephen Griffin, virologist and associate professor at the University of Leeds (here), told Reuters that molnupiravir is not repackaged ivermectin.

The two drugs have “dissimilar chemistry,” he said. “There is no way that Merck is doing this,” he said.

“Molnupiravir is a derivative of a nucleotide that, predictably, interferes with the RNA replication of the virus. While Ivermectin does also have a defined mechanism of action, BUT it’s against ion channels found in parasites,” Griffin said.

Information profiles are viewable on Drugs.com for molnupiravir (here) and ivermectin (www.drugs.com/ivermectin.html).

Paul Auwaerter, the Clinical Director of the Division of Infectious Diseases (here) at Johns Hopkins Medicine told Reuters via email that the only similarity the two drugs have is that they “have been brought to the FDA for market approval by the Merck Company.”

The professor pointed to structural differences between the two drugs, which can be explored in papers here and here and drug class differences. “Ivermectin is classified as a macrocyclic lactone. It is derived from Streptomyces avermitilis which is a bacterium." Molnupiravir, rather, is classified as a nucleoside analog (like some HIV medications) and works as an antiviral, he said.
Strangely enough, exactly the same Bolleaux was being spread about the Pfizer anti-viral treatment when it was announced a couple of days before the Merck announcement, then the tinfoil milliners seamlessly swivelled to spread the same ordure about Merck.

jfman 13-10-2021 21:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36097316)
Don't answer that, OB.

Our Prime Minister addressed the nation on 16 March. Avoid all unnecessary contact.

I as a middle class, white, professional did my civic duty. Abandoning my Republican principles and not celebrating the feast day of Saint Patrick.

Did OB in his personal life “shield the vulnerable” on 17 March or fundamentally go into lockdown?

Pierre 13-10-2021 22:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36097314)

Ah yes, the classic I’ll make a statement easily disproved but stand by it. You should run for a political office!

jfman 13-10-2021 22:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36097319)
Ah yes, the classic I’ll make a statement easily disproved but stand by it. You should run for a political office!

That’s a question, not a statement. ;)

Pierre 13-10-2021 22:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36097321)
That’s a question, not a statement. ;)

Whatever…………. :zzz:

jfman 13-10-2021 22:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36097322)
Whatever…………. :zzz:

We know you don’t care Pierre. Except you do to the extent you have the second most posts in the thread. As ever I can’t wait for what insights you bring tomorrow. :)

Pierre 13-10-2021 22:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36097317)
For those born today, here is the reality, not the Internet conspiracy theory…

https://www.reuters.com/article/fact...-idUSL1N2R32JP

Strangely enough, exactly the same Bolleaux was being spread about the Pfizer anti-viral treatment when it was announced a couple of days before the Merck announcement, then the tinfoil milliners seamlessly swivelled to spread the same ordure about Merck.

Critical thought Hugh, critical thought…………………….

---------- Post added at 22:23 ---------- Previous post was at 22:20 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36097323)
We know you don’t care Pierre.

I just don’t care for you.

Sephiroth 13-10-2021 22:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36097318)
Our Prime Minister addressed the nation on 16 March. Avoid all unnecessary contact.

I as a middle class, white, professional did my civic duty. Abandoning my Republican principles and not celebrating the feast day of Saint Patrick.

Did OB in his personal life “shield the vulnerable” on 17 March or fundamentally go into lockdown?

Don't answer that either, OB! jfman omitted the word "John" in one of his sentences.

jfman 13-10-2021 22:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36097324)

And here you are, day after day, of all the places to be.

Pierre 13-10-2021 23:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36097328)
And here you are, day after day, of all the places to be.

Christ, if you think I frequent this forum because you’re here….that’s some narcissistic issue right there. But yes, I see you could hold such a deluded perspective given your post history. There is definitely a love of self there. ………. A bit single paced though, if you know what I mean?

jfman 13-10-2021 23:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36097331)
Christ, if you think I frequent this forum because you’re here….that’s some narcissistic issue right there. But yes, I see you could hold such a deluded perspective given your post history. There is definitely a love of self there. ………. A bit single paced though, if you know what I mean?

As I say, despite being a "member" since 2003 your insight (or lack thereof) into this subject accounts for over 5% of your posts. I don't spend my time posting on the internet about subjects of little interest to me - maybe you do, I'm not one to judge.

Hugh 13-10-2021 23:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36097324)
Critical thought Hugh, critical thought…………………….

---------- Post added at 22:23 ---------- Previous post was at 22:20 ----------

Obviously not critical thinking enough to do a 30 second search…

Critical thinking is the objective analysis and evaluation of an issue in order to form a judgement, not "ooh, this supports my biases, it must be true"; promulgation of baseless rumours is not, by any stretch of the imagination, "critical thinking".