Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Brexit (Old) (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33706539)

Chris 09-02-2019 23:27

Re: Brexit

You have to admire their persistence I suppose.

Carth 10-02-2019 00:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35982793)
You have to admire their persistence I suppose.

Yep, and it's a cunning plan* too . . a vote on whether to accept the deal May has put forward, or remain in the EU

both options effectively mean we don't leave :rolleyes:

* Baldrick would be so proud :D

heero_yuy 10-02-2019 07:40

Quote:

Quote from Carth:

Yep, and it's a cunning plan too . . a vote on whether to accept the deal May has put forward, or remain in the EU

both options effectively mean we don't leave :rolleyes:

Both of which betray the referendum result. Such is the extent of the Westminster treachery. :(

Chris 10-02-2019 09:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35982796)
Both of which betray the referendum result. Such is the extent of the Westminster treachery. :(

Well to be fair at the moment it’s just proposed treachery. :D

I think it’s highly unlikely that it will pass. There are too many MPs - especially Labour ones in Northern England - who don’t fancy facing their constituents if they are perceived as having betrayed Brexit.

There just isn’t a parliamentary majority for a new referendum. If they thought there might be, then they’d have put their amendment forward last week, but they didn’t.

Hugh 10-02-2019 09:49

"treachery", "betray"?

Very emotive...

When the Tories won the 1992 Election with the largest number of votes ever in a General Election, having just signed the Maastricht Treaty, were the Eurosceptics being treacherous and betraying the voters who had just elected the Tory Government?

Maggy 10-02-2019 09:50

I just wish we could have a decision/resolution of some sort.Don't care what. Just DECIDE.

heero_yuy 10-02-2019 10:07

Quote:

Quote from Hugh:

"treachery", "betray"?

Very emotive...

When the Tories won the 1992 Election with the largest number of votes ever in a General Election, having just signed the Maastricht Treaty, were the Eurosceptics being treacherous and betraying the voters who had just elected the Tory Government?
Because we were electing a government based on a range of policies and the EU surrender document was not fully understood by the electorate. This time it was a single issue that the people were asked to vote on and not enacting that is an act of treachery by the Westminster elite.

TheDaddy 10-02-2019 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35982800)
Because we were electing a government based on a range of policies and the EU surrender document was not fully understood by the electorate. This time it was a single issue that the people were asked to vote on and not enacting that is an act of treachery by the Westminster elite.

If you think something is going to be a disaster for your country wouldn't you be a traitor to blithely go along with it :shrug:

pip08456 10-02-2019 10:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35982801)
If you think something is going to be a disaster for your country wouldn't you be a traitor to blithely go along with it :shrug:

Just because you think something will be a disaster does not make it so.

Angua 10-02-2019 10:30

Quote:

Does seem odd that people are happy to support a result, when even the source of the £8 million donation by Aaron Banks is still unknown. A referendum that legally had to be advisory rather than binding in order to get the ballot past the judiciary.

nomadking 10-02-2019 10:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35982667)
More bungling incompetence from HMG it seems..

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politi...paign=sharebar

Do any of the contractors have ships just idly sitting around? I doubt it. Therefore none of any contractors will have available ships.

Carth 10-02-2019 10:45

Quote:

It all depends on your viewpoint/definition of a 'disaster'.

To some people, a disaster is having to pay 30p more for a bottle of wine, needing a visa to travel abroad, or seeing a shortage of broccoli at Christmas.

To others, disaster is seeing your town decimated by the local industries/factories closing and re-opening in a country where the labour and costs are much cheaper.

I think previous Governments have a lot to answer for, and many 'leave' voters were probably of a mind where being in the EU was already a 'life changing' disaster for them and their families/community

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, or wishing to start more silly arguements involving statistics, JLR, Dyson et al. Just saying that for some people a fresh start probably gives them better hope for the future than continuing in a downward spiral.

---------- Post added at 10:45 ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 35982805)
Do any of the contractors have ships just idly sitting around? I doubt it. Therefore none of any contractors will have available ships.

*apparently* when we bomb out of the EU we won't have any trade deals, so there should be a surplus of available ships :D

nomadking 10-02-2019 10:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angua (Post 35982803)
Does seem odd that people are happy to support a result, when even the source of the £8 million donation by Aaron Banks is still unknown. A referendum that legally had to be advisory rather than binding in order to get the ballot past the judiciary.

People were unhappy with the EU long before any hint of a referendum. That was the reason for the referendum.

In a court, only a jury can give a not guilty verdict, but in some instances the Judge can direct the jury to give a not guilty verdict. It should be seen as a similar situation where only Parliament is allowed to make the final decision, but in the event of a referendum it's hands are tied. Has there ever been the slightest hint that the result of a previously held referendum wouldn't be respected?

---------- Post added at 10:50 ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 35982806)
It all depends on your viewpoint/definition of a 'disaster'.

To some people, a disaster is having to pay 30p more for a bottle of wine, needing a visa to travel abroad, or seeing a shortage of broccoli at Christmas.

To others, disaster is seeing your town decimated by the local industries/factories closing and re-opening in a country where the labour and costs are much cheaper.

I think previous Governments have a lot to answer for, and many 'leave' voters were probably of a mind where being in the EU was already a 'life changing' disaster for them and their families/community

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, or wishing to start more silly arguements involving statistics, JLR, Dyson et al. Just saying that for some people a fresh start probably gives them better hope for the future than continuing in a downward spiral.

---------- Post added at 10:45 ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 ----------

*apparently* when we bomb out of the EU we won't have any trade deals, so there should be a surplus of available ships :D

So even contractors currently without any ships would be able to obtain one? What is the difference?

papa smurf 10-02-2019 10:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 35982808)
People were unhappy with the EU long before any hint of a referendum. That was the reason for the referendum.

In a court, only a jury can give a not guilty verdict, but in some instances the Judge can direct the jury to give a not guilty verdict. It should be seen as a similar situation where only Parliament is allowed to make the final decision, but in the event of a referendum it's hands are tied. Has there ever been the slightest hint that the result of a previously held referendum wouldn't be respected?

---------- Post added at 10:50 ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 ----------

So even contractors currently without any ships would be able to obtain one? What is the difference?

I have a boat,i can do the booze and cig's runs ,if the Nation needs me :devsmoke:

pip08456 10-02-2019 11:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 35982808)

The difference is if it fits your narrative/agenda or not.