Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Police to get tough on internet trolls. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33703445)

Pierre 07-10-2020 21:05

Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36052987)
A little boy who can hardly walk and who has epilepsy has been targetted by online trolls after trying to raise money . They even posted flashing images on the social media of the Epilepsy Society in order to try and trigger epileptic attacks:

The charity is calling for this behaviour to be criminalised under the Online Harm Bill:

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/...palsy-19037854

It just goes to show what those wirh mobility problems & cognitive impairments still have to put up with day in, day out.

As abhorrent as that behaviour is. I don’t see how it can be classed as criminal behaviour.

Paul 08-10-2020 01:14

Well if visiting friends can be classed as criminal these days, who knows where it will end ...

RichardCoulter 08-10-2020 23:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36052996)
As abhorrent as that behaviour is. I don’t see how it can be classed as criminal behaviour.

I suppose they'd introduce a law that says that anyone who posts material that causes mental or physical harm or distress out of malice, indifference or carelessness would be subject to penalties. Whether this would relate to the individual, the site that allowed it or both I really don't know.

Julian 09-10-2020 10:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36053111)
I suppose they'd introduce a law that says that anyone who posts material that causes mental or physical harm or distress out of malice, indifference or carelessness would be subject to penalties. Whether this would relate to the individual, the site that allowed it or both I really don't know.

I bet there would be quite a few busybodies licking their lips at the prospect of vague legislation like that. :rolleyes:

RichardCoulter 09-10-2020 12:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julian (Post 36053142)
I bet there would be quite a few busybodies licking their lips at the prospect of vague legislation like that. :rolleyes:

Do you think it's right (as was revealed on the news about this last night) that these trolls even started deliberately sending direct messages to members of the Epilepsy Society social media page (including children) with videos likely to trigger an epileptic fit? And all because a little boy wanted to raise some money for charity.

Surely you cannot criticise something designed to stop such behaviour.

tweetiepooh 09-10-2020 13:36

There is a difference we need to be careful of between posting something you know or suspect to be harmful directly to those it would cause harm to and posting something generally that causes harm that you are unaware of the potential harm.

What if you posted a video of a family disco, replete with flashing lights etc and someone sensitive stumbled on it and it caused them a problem?

We already have issues with "hate speech". If you say something that someone else finds hateful it can be construed as such.

RichardCoulter 25-11-2020 00:38

This behaviour even extends to the world of Fantasy Football:

The problem: https://theathletic.com/news/fpl-fan...m/TjHeishbniG1

It's good to see that some websites are taking their responsibilities seriously by cleaning up their act before Ofcom start to do it for them.

Action taken: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...age-abuse.html

Paul 25-11-2020 02:06

Another stupid waste of time. :rolleyes:

Someone had far too much time on their hands (again).
Now they have [of course] massively over reacted, and deleted all sorts of perfectly valid names.

Idiots.

RichardCoulter 25-11-2020 04:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36059600)
Another stupid waste of time. :rolleyes:

Someone had far too much time on their hands (again).
Now they have [of course] massively over reacted, and deleted all sorts of perfectly valid names.

Idiots.

They have deleted racist names that would probably offend the black community, homophobic names that would probably offend the LGBT+ community, names trivialising paedophilia and the holocaust that would offend any right thinking person. It's not right that somebody whose black, gay, been the victim of child sex abuse, Jewish etc should be exposed to this, simply because they want to play Fantasy Football.

I do agree that some of the cheeky names that were deleted was possibly an overreaction, but I suppose they're just erring on the side of caution.

Paul 25-11-2020 16:31

PL FF has existed for 18 years, and yet somehow everyone has survived ok.

This was nothing more than yet another bunch of ******s with too much time on their hands looking for ever more obscure ways to suddenly be "offended".

Russ 25-11-2020 16:41

A tweet from John Cleese earlier this week:

“ If you can't control your own emotions, you're forced to control other people's behaviour

That's why the touchiest, most oversensitive and easily upset must not set the standard for the rest of us”

Mad Max 25-11-2020 21:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36059655)

This was nothing more than yet another bunch of ******s with too much time on their hands looking for ever more obscure ways to suddenly be "offended".

Spot on, sick to death of these bloody do-gooders, can't say anything without some ****ing snowflake or yoghurt knitter being offended.

GrimUpNorth 25-11-2020 21:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36059707)
Spot on, sick to death of these bloody do-gooders, can't say anything without some ****ing snowflake or yoghurt knitter being offended.

Yoghurt knitter - love it!

Hugh 25-11-2020 21:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36059707)

Are you being a bit of a snowflake about others being snowflakes? :D

RichardCoulter 25-11-2020 22:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36059655)

I personally welcome anything that improves or curtails the behaviour of the minority that seek to gain amusement or pleasure from mocking or attempt to trivialise the effects caused by the holocaust, sexual abuse as a child etc etc.