Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Sport (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Football : Season 08/09 (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33636885)

punky 01-09-2008 14:23

Re: Football : Season 08/09

I've never liked it. We need to abolish the transfer window system. That way anyone can buy anyone else whenever they like. No more panic buys, inflated prices, or frozen out players. Transfers happen when its best they happen.

I have not really come across a good reason why we can't do this. Platini wants to make it worse and do away with the winter transfer window. The pleb.

Russ 01-09-2008 14:25

The only time I agree with what Platini says is when his mouth is closed.

Shadow Demon UK 01-09-2008 14:30

It's supposed to stop bigger clubs constantly buying players throughout the year if key players get injured. The idea is that smaller clubs wouldn't be able to do this so it makes it fairer if bigger clubs can't as well. In my opinion it doesn't work at all and all it does is push player prices up much higher than they would be if there was no transfer window.

punky 01-09-2008 14:37

WTF?

Quote:

1430: The latest from Man City - and I have to say that they are fast becoming the club of the day. BBC Sport understands that a £30m bid has indeed been made for Dimitar Berbatov, while the club are in talks with Valencia's David Villa and Stuttgart's Mario Gomez.
Berbatov and Villa?!?

TheDaddy 01-09-2008 14:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow Demon UK (Post 34630198)
It's supposed to stop bigger clubs constantly buying players throughout the year if key players get injured. The idea is that smaller clubs wouldn't be able to do this so it makes it fairer if bigger clubs can't as well. In my opinion it doesn't work at all and all it does is push player prices up much higher than they would be if there was no transfer window.

Err no it isn't, that's what they'd like us to believe. Remember a few years back when the EU were talking about scrapping the transfer system, well this is the result, the EU orderd FIFA to adopt it in Europe or else. The thing with Europe is they love a bit of harmony, don't matter how much people suffer, as long as we are all suffering together.

http://new.edp24.co.uk/content/sport...Doncaster.aspx

Russ 01-09-2008 14:58

If City get Berbatov then CF is going to have one very narked off admin online tonight....

punky 01-09-2008 15:00

I know....

Brilliant ain't it :) Levy can atone for a lot if he manages to offload Berbatov to City :p:

Shadow Demon UK 01-09-2008 15:11

I thought the reason Berbatov wanted to leave Spuds was to play Champions league football?

Anyway, i'm sure he will fit in at citeh, seeing that they are a massive club and all ;)

Russ 01-09-2008 15:13

I can't see him staying at Spurs after the last few weeks, and if they refuse United's offer than he may well end up in a blue shirt.

Nugget 01-09-2008 15:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by punky (Post 34630199)
WTF?

Berbatov and Villa?!?

Randomly, whoever the company are who have just invested in City (read that as 'bought Shinawatra out') want to use the club as a showpiece for Dubai, in order to increase their standing in the sporting world.

It would seem that they've not only agreed to pay off any outstanding debt, but put up a massive amount of cash for players as well. May be too late for this window, but it'll be interesting to see what happens in January. According to The Guardian website, a spokesman's said he wants them in the top four this year! May be that they don't realise what club they've bought...

Saaf_laandon_mo 01-09-2008 15:19

"We will support him by bringing in the best players and it is his job to support them," Al-Fahim said. "We really have deep pockets. By closing a deal with one of the players today they can see we are serious in developing the club into one of the top four."

From what I know about Arabs from Dubai, they have do indeed have very deep pockts and huge egos. They will want this club to be the biggest in the premiership and I can see them spending huge amounts of money to achieve those goals.

Russ 01-09-2008 15:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nugget (Post 34630213)
May be that they don't realise what club they've bought...

I can imagine how the conversation went...."Hey Ali, go buy me that massive English club, you know...manchester something-or-other" :D

Nugget 01-09-2008 15:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ B (Post 34630216)
I can imagine how the conversation went...."Hey Ali, go buy me that massive English club, you know...manchester something-or-other" :D

Probably quite a shock when he went to look around FC United then - Gigg Lane's not the best ground in the world :D

punky 01-09-2008 15:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow Demon UK (Post 34630211)
I thought the reason Berbatov wanted to leave Spuds was to play Champions league football?

Anyway, i'm sure he will fit in at citeh, seeing that they are a massive club and all ;)

If there's one thing that will make Taggart and the septics raid their piggy bank for more than £20m, it would be him going to City. The relationship between THFC's administration and Berbatov has broken down to the point he'd go almost anywhere else than stay. Besides, they way everyone's talking, City will be the new Chelski. They will buy all 4 cups by next season.

Kymmy 01-09-2008 16:19

Russ, you a MUFC fan???

[edit] Got my answer in PM [/edit]