Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Rising cost of living (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710461)

TheDaddy 22-02-2023 12:35

Re: Rising cost of living

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36146599)
Yeah, mine has gone up £40 a month! :rolleyes: To about £2,800!

Many of us from the building will challenge for the same reason as making it clear they can't fleece us further the following year. It's something like a 20% increase overall, which is unsustainable in the long term, especially when you think further increases are a percentage increase over the existing massive increase! :shocked:

It'll become impossible to sell if service charges get too high as well.

I didn't bother emailing them, I emailed my MP instead for what good that'll do, it's crazy we're spending double on heating communal areas than I'm spending for all my energy in the flat :spin:

Damien 22-02-2023 13:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 36146631)
I didn't bother emailing them, I emailed my MP instead for what good that'll do, it's crazy we're spending double on heating communal areas than I'm spending for all my energy in the flat :spin:

Who runs your block?

Did they even give you a breakdown of the forthcoming year's charges? We're still chasing that to see where the breakdown comes from and whilst it's worth writing to your MP it's also worth challenging them directly to justify it.

Corey N Georgie 22-02-2023 14:22

We worked out last night since Last December when I went into hospital until now, we shop at Tesco our average weekly shop has risen from £85 to around £110.

TheDaddy 22-02-2023 14:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36146638)
Who runs your block?

Did they even give you a breakdown of the forthcoming year's charges? We're still chasing that to see where the breakdown comes from and whilst it's worth writing to your MP it's also worth challenging them directly to justify it.

The council, I've seen the breakdown and rang them where a prepared statement was read out "for anyone phoning moaning", wasn't satisfied with their rationales either tbh

Hugh 24-02-2023 10:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36146389)
Wow!

We pay £37 per month by Direct Debit…

Just had a letter from Yorkshire Water, and we are in credit for this year (£6.92, woohoo!), and our DD is staying the same for next year (we have a meter).

heero_yuy 24-02-2023 10:57

I looked back and our last water bill was £72 odd for 6 months. We have a meter and try not to waste it.

Jaymoss 24-02-2023 11:27

My water bill went up over 50%. Thankfully I am on the Big Difference Scheme and it went up from £24 to £49

daveeb 24-02-2023 17:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36146881)
Just had a letter from Yorkshire Water, and we are in credit for this year (£6.92, woohoo!), and our DD is staying the same for next year (we have a meter).

We just got a letter from Yorkshire water (no meter), gone to around £860 from just over £800 :( must be due to the the 10 bedroom mansion we live in :shocked:

GrimUpNorth 24-02-2023 17:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36146881)

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveeb (Post 36146919)
We just got a letter from Yorkshire water (no meter), gone to around £860 from just over £800 :( must be due to the the 10 bedroom mansion we live in :shocked:

Nothing from Yorkshire Water yet but because of the hosepipe ban (and electricity prices) we didn't use the Jacuzzi this winter so our usage should be well down. Currently pay £30 per month on a meter.

Hugh 24-02-2023 17:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveeb (Post 36146919)

Wow!

We live in a 4 bed detached, but there are only 2 of us (+ 3 yo grandson 1or 2 nights a week).

daveeb 24-02-2023 20:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36146924)
Wow!

We live in a 4 bed detached, but there are only 2 of us (+ 3 yo grandson 1or 2 nights a week).

3 bed smallish 1970's detached, band C, 4 of us. It's always been really expensive but I'm beginning to wonder if they've got us confused with some of the Adel millionaires. Looking at what others here are paying we're the second highest :erm: I wonder if the rateable value charged is based solely on the house band, if so it's crazy expensive.

spiderplant 24-02-2023 21:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveeb (Post 36146931)
3 bed smallish 1970's detached, band C, 4 of us. It's always been really expensive but I'm beginning to wonder if they've got us confused with some of the Adel millionaires. Looking at what others here are paying we're the second highest :erm: I wonder if the rateable value charged is based solely on the house band, if so it's crazy expensive.

https://www.yorkshirewater.com/bill-...a-water-meter/

We have a meter and pay £44 a month for two people (but heavy users)

Hugh 24-02-2023 21:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveeb (Post 36146931)

cough cough ;)

Seriously though, we are Band E in the Leeds Council Tax bands, so pretty sure it’s not linked that way (but we are metered).

daveeb 24-02-2023 22:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36146938)
cough cough ;)

Seriously though, we are Band E in the Leeds Council Tax bands, so pretty sure it’s not linked that way (but we are metered).

:D OK not all millionaires, some nice houses there though.

---------- Post added at 22:57 ---------- Previous post was at 22:50 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 36146936)
https://www.yorkshirewater.com/bill-...a-water-meter/

We have a meter and pay £44 a month for two people (but heavy users)

Thanks SP, I'd looked at that and we seem to be at the high end of the "is it worth getting a meter" scale based on occupancy. Not sure we fancy a meter based on the leakiness of various household appliances it could be out of the frying pan into the fire.

papa smurf 25-02-2023 10:20

my water charges with Anglian water
2021-£545

2022-£606

2023-£691

i resent paying this much to a company that discharges raw sewage into the estuary, and has buggered up our beaches blue flag status