Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=14837)

homealone 02-08-2004 13:49

Re: [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMav
I'll reboot tonight when I get home if it comes through I will apologise for calling them asswipes for listing my upgrade as novemeber and call them asswipes for failing to code their postcode checker properly :)

no-one deserves to be abused like that, I seriously considered a negative rep for that remark, but adding to the ignore list seems more appropriate - seeya :(

Mon, 2 Aug 2004 12:31:19 UTC
1st 128K took 1490 ms = 87968 Bytes/sec = approx 732 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 1430 ms = 91659 Bytes/sec = approx 763 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 1480 ms = 88562 Bytes/sec = approx 737 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 1430 ms = 91659 Bytes/sec = approx 763 kbits/sec

- I'm happy with that, thanks to everyone who made it possible :tu:

APS 02-08-2004 13:51

A while back someone said that similar speed increases would apply to NTL Business cable modem users. Although the domestic speed increases happened last night in this area, our Business modem is still stuck at the 1 MB rate, despite a reboot.

Can someone confirm we will get the upgrade and perhaps give a timescale please?

APS

MagicMan 02-08-2004 13:54

Hey all

I'm getting installed tomorrow - does that mean that I'll be getting 750kbps rather than 600 straight away? ;)

Cheers

Lee 02-08-2004 13:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOSAGES
well sod it - remote desktoped to home spare pc - entered modem config - hit restart - *hoping ip dont change* - trying to reconnect to ip - still trying -

ok im in - from cm logs.
Unit Update - Not updating. This image is not for this platform.
Unit Update Failed.

i assume that isnt expected?

also from the logs
Retrieved TFTP Config mota4100-gold.cm SUCCESS - is this the new file or same as old one?

Thats exactly the file I have... name hasnt changed, but the speed has :D

paulyoung666 02-08-2004 13:55

hi and :welcome: to the site magicman , dont see why not , depending on where you live of course :)

Stuart 02-08-2004 13:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMav
I'd rather they specified a time and delivered ontime. Rather than this drizzle effect.

They have specified a sort of time, and at the moment, it sounds like they are delivering.

As explained above, the "drizzle" effect as you call it is necessary to ensure that if anything goes wrong, it does not take out a large chunk of the network. Ask AT&T about the effect of doing a mass upgrade on the whole network*. NTL would stupid to attempt it.

*Basically, AT&T upgraded the software running their exchanges, but did it "en masse". This software had a fault that under certain circumstances would cause the exchange to crash, then reboot (during which time it could not accept calls). The fault spread, and within a few hours, half their phone network had crashed. This (on its own) cost billions of dollars to correct, then there were all the legal actions (which probably added another couple of billion). In all liklihood, if AT&T had upgraded area by area, the bug would have been discovered and fixed before it could do too much damage.

pmoody000 02-08-2004 14:00

Woke up this morning and tested my connection, looks like Dover in Kenthas been upgraded at last

Mon, 2 Aug 2004 12:59:30 UTC
1st 128K took 516 ms = 254016 Bytes/sec = approx 2113 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 718 ms = 182552 Bytes/sec = approx 1519 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 703 ms = 186447 Bytes/sec = approx 1551 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 704 ms = 186182 Bytes/sec = approx 1549 kbits/sec

So they must of finnished upgrading the ashford network.

MagicMan 02-08-2004 14:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulyoung666
hi and :welcome: to the site magicman , dont see why not , depending on where you live of course :)

Thanks for the welcome and I live in Manchester (which is one of the first upgrade areas I believe). I've been without my DSL connection for a few months and I'm itching to get back online. BTW I've asked for a 600k connection - what are my chances of getting a 1MB connection for my free trial (60 days) and then downgrade before they start charging me?? :cool:

tomaw 02-08-2004 14:07

Just this second happened here in Northants ;)

altis 02-08-2004 14:08

Can I just point out that it is not necessary to hammer the network to determine if you have been upgraded.

If you have an Ambit stand alone cable modem go here:
http://192.168.100.1/P_operation.htm
and enter 'root' as the username and password

Alternatively, run DocsDiag:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/docsdiag/

Nemesis 02-08-2004 14:12

Ok can we have some calm in this thread ... there is no need for abusive comments, and they will NOT be tolerated.

For information

A large portion of the NTL network was ready for the upgrades, when they announced them, however as NTL is an amalgamation of several smaller Telco comapnies, some of the networks they now own were not ready for the upgrades. Since the announcement over 1.5 million has been spent in upgrading the network to be able to take the upgraded speeds for the users.

This work has been completed in most areas now, hence the roll out being "Late Summer". IN MY ESTIMATION, WE ARE STILL NOT AT "LATE SUMMER". Be patient, we have brought you updates as and when we can get them.

Also note ... NTL pay out 1.5 Million .... You pay £0.00.

Getting impatient and abusive will NOT bring the upgrades any quicker.

beardsley 02-08-2004 14:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangebird
Sometimes it's safer to under promise and over deliver......

Agree with you entirely Orangebird. For once NTL has given more than they promissed.

I for one am more than happy to get the speed increase before it was officially due. (Of course, if I had not received the increase yet, I may not have the same opinion ;) )

I am quite happy to complain when NTL make a mess of things, but this time they seem to be doing things in a sensible controlled manner. So it is a :tu: to NTL from me.

SoLo MaN 02-08-2004 14:44

Well looking good down here in Sunny Worthing, West Sussex. I have been done. Just Look at these speeds.. Thanks NTL great Stuff. I am really happy with my cable connection, after my unhappy time with Tiscali.

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/sp...b5f8c2bb166fd7

SoLo MaN 02-08-2004 14:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoLo MaN
Well looking good down here in Sunny Worthing, West Sussex. I have been done. Just Look at these speeds.. Thanks NTL great Stuff. I am really happy with my cable connection, after my unhappy time with Tiscali.

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/sp...b5f8c2bb166fd7

Silly me, forgot to mention I was on a 600 connection, now its 750. Sweet>>>>

Swipe 02-08-2004 14:50

Has anyone with the 600k service on a STB been updated yet?