Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   General IT Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   [Update] Windows 10 Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33698787)

SnoopZ 08-06-2015 11:58

Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Hopefully it will stay like it is now as Gabe says, but we can't see several years into the future.

They will still make money from new pcs with Windows oem on it and businesses, which is where they got most of their money from anyway i think.

johnhook 08-06-2015 13:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35781985)
Hopefully it will stay like it is now as Gabe says, but we can't see several years into the future.

They will still make money from new pcs with Windows oem on it and businesses, which is where they got most of their money from anyway i think.

Firstly businesses will have to upgrade some will some wont those that do will only ever need to buy one more licence and have upgrades forever. Office365 is already subscription as lets face it Office has not changed that much in 12 years so why would business need to update that? I just can not see it as sustainable myself :)

Stephen 08-06-2015 15:31

Remember MS also have the Xbox and make a lot of money from that. Lumia smartphones.

So really Windows is just a little thing in their world.

jamiefrost 08-06-2015 15:42

Most bigger companies will routinely replace hardware from a support and standardisation point of view. Standard deployment images etc.

Anyone know what the breakdown on profit between Windows and Office? Office will not be free for most companies.

Also any ideas on the cost of windows in a virtualized environment?

J

qasdfdsaq 08-06-2015 16:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnhook (Post 35781980)
I hope you and Dave are right but the future is a long time my opinion is it will be short lived

I'd rather believe the opinion of a Microsoft product manager over yours.

---------- Post added at 16:20 ---------- Previous post was at 16:17 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnhook (Post 35781997)
Firstly businesses will have to upgrade some will some wont those that do will only ever need to buy one more licence and have upgrades forever.

Business will NOT be able to buy one license and have upgrades forever. They will have to pay for a new copy of Windows every time they buy a new computer.

Quote:

Office365 is already subscription as lets face it Office has not changed that much in 12 years so why would business need to update that? I just can not see it as sustainable myself :)
Same reason that Windows XP hasn't changed much in 12 years yet businesses had to update it.

And how many business do you know that use 12 year old desktop PCs for their day-to-day office work?

---------- Post added at 16:23 ---------- Previous post was at 16:20 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35781985)

Correct.

Any amount of money they may lose by giving away upgrades for free to existing users is minuscule in comparison to the number of paid-for new copies that will be sold during that time.

Only a tiny minority of people would ever have purchased a new copy of Windows to upgrade an existing machine.

johnhook 09-06-2015 00:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq (Post 35782027)
I'd rather believe the opinion of a Microsoft product manager over yours.

---------- Post added at 16:20 ---------- Previous post was at 16:17 ----------

Business will NOT be able to buy one license and have upgrades forever. They will have to pay for a new copy of Windows every time they buy a new computer.

Same reason that Windows XP hasn't changed much in 12 years yet businesses had to update it.

And how many business do you know that use 12 year old desktop PCs for their day-to-day office work?

---------- Post added at 16:23 ---------- Previous post was at 16:20 ----------

Correct.

Any amount of money they may lose by giving away upgrades for free to existing users is minuscule in comparison to the number of paid-for new copies that will be sold during that time.

Only a tiny minority of people would ever have purchased a new copy of Windows to upgrade an existing machine.

I am not asking anyone to believe my opinion just posting what it is. Thought this was a discussion board am I mistaken?

---------- Post added at 00:49 ---------- Previous post was at 00:43 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35777152)
I hope they don't try and go down the Office 365 route.

Quote:

Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq (Post 35777156)
They will.

Quote:

Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq (Post 35777180)
It's more like, pay every year for the additional features and updates you get every year. I suppose it's not a full subscription service but they have said it'll be somewhat subscription based/SaaS.

Far as I'm aware, you lose updates if you unsubscribe, Windows keeps working, same as what happens if you upgrade an unlicensed copy.

hmmmmm less than a month ago you had the same opinion funny that ba dum dum tush

thenry 09-06-2015 02:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stop It (Post 35766073)
It looks pretty good to me, and Cortana is now active in the UK (Without region changing malarky).

The new sign in screen looks like an improvement too. Will test properly over the weekend. I wouldn't say it's a "Main OS" worthy build yet because features are still changing with each build.

Can an image be set for the sign in screen?

qasdfdsaq 09-06-2015 10:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnhook (Post 35782126)
hmmmmm less than a month ago you had the same opinion funny that ba dum dum tush

You're claiming businesses can buy consumer licenses when they cannot.

Windows SA, EES and Academic schemes have have always been subscription based.

johnhook 09-06-2015 22:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq (Post 35782172)
You're claiming businesses can buy consumer licenses when they cannot.

Windows SA, EES and Academic schemes have have always been subscription based.

No I do not

Pro and Enterprise are targeted to businesses . Pro is also been given to consumers who grade from windows 8 pro some like myself who only paid 14.99 for it

alferret 10-06-2015 22:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnhook (Post 35782126)
I am not asking anyone to believe my opinion just posting what it is. Thought this was a discussion board am I mistaken?

Some people don't like the art of discussion, some people think they know all and allow their egos to run rampant on forums like this. Just saying!

alanbjames 12-06-2015 22:52

Is there anywhere that people can suggest things they would like to see in windows 10 without being one of the beta testers.

What i would like to see is a feature where u can choose what program to use to open videos in different folders. For example i could have 2 folders with MP4 but want to open the videos within the folders using different programs.

Dave42 16-06-2015 02:19

according to here you keep your old license for windows 7 or 8.1 when upgrading to windows 10 good news first answer

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...2-7a2ca891dc16

BenMcr 16-06-2015 07:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanbjames (Post 35782834)
For example i could have 2 folders with MP4 but want to open the videos within the folders using different programs.

I don't think there is a way to do that by default - file associations are set at a system level not by a folder.

However if you've got each program pinned to the taskbar you can select the file you want to open, hold down the 'Shift' key and then drag it onto the appropriate program's icon. This should then open it with that program (with a tool tip that says as such)

ianch99 16-06-2015 09:43

When 10 is GA, is it wise to jump straight in or wait a (short?) while for any gremlins to be ironed out?

Also, is there any consensus on whether Win 10 is appreciably slower (on the same hardware) that 7 or 8.1? I have an old PC (Dell XPS Studio 8100 i5 8GB SSD GTX750Ti) and wondered if it would noticably slow down if it was upgraded (from 7 to 10) ..

qasdfdsaq 16-06-2015 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 35783261)
When 10 is GA, is it wise to jump straight in or wait a (short?) while for any gremlins to be ironed out?

Depends how important stability is for you. Windows 10 is already far more stable than pre-XP Windows versions as it is.

Quote:

Also, is there any consensus on whether Win 10 is appreciably slower (on the same hardware) that 7 or 8.1? I have an old PC (Dell XPS Studio 8100 i5 8GB SSD GTX750Ti) and wondered if it would noticably slow down if it was upgraded (from 7 to 10) ..
Not as far as I can tell. For games (at least those using DX12) it should be appreciably faster.