Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Film & Cinema (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Rate the last movie you saw (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=37399)

Will21st 03-08-2013 01:22

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

The Conjuring 7.5/10

rogerdraig 05-08-2013 00:22

Rocky Horor Show .... Awsom yet again daughter watched it with us for first time lol very bemused

dilli-theclaw 05-08-2013 18:53

It was Natalie's turn to choose this time so we went to see The Heat, which was much better than I was expecting, nice :)

ThunderPants73 05-08-2013 22:05

Oblivion. 8/10. Beautifully filmed, decent storyline.

harry_hitch 08-08-2013 21:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThunderPants73 (Post 35606270)

Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa - 7/10. Coogan was as good as always, and the heart of the story is something I can relate to very easily. It does have some very funny moments in it, but most of the time it is just very predictable film with a lazy script. It is worth seeing just for Steve Coogan alone though:)

P.S have just started watching Heat recorded from last night, so my next score will be 9/10. Michael Mann at his finest :nworthy:

Paul 13-08-2013 21:12

Lone Ranger - 8/10, Excellent film, funny in places, and slightly gory in others.

Jameseh 13-08-2013 22:12

I forgot from last week, RED 2. Not as good as the first but what is? 7.5/10.

pk1 15-08-2013 23:42

The Lone Ranger 9/10 funny, good action scenes, give it a try, not as bad as some reviews say.

Stephen 16-08-2013 00:13

The Lone Ranger - 8/10

Really surprised how much fun it was after reading a few reviews. Lots of great comedy moments and pretty faithful to the original premise of how he became The Lone Ranger.

depp was brilliant as Tonto even though he was very Captain Jack like at times.

the Wee Man 4/10 - really disappointed. After having read Paul Ferris own book, a lot of the film seems to have been changed for story and entertainment value and it was just not that good at all.

adzii_nufc 16-08-2013 03:43

Iron Man 3. 2/10

Dunno about anyone else but for me in comparison to 1, 2 and the avengers this was total rubbish. Watched the lot multiple times but this won't be getting another viewing. Liked the villains but this series is heading in a more serious direction which i dislike.

Jimmy-J 16-08-2013 06:07

The Great Gatsby 2013. A pretty good film, 7/10

Stephen 16-08-2013 12:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by adzii_nufc (Post 35610973)
Iron Man 3. 2/10

Dunno about anyone else but for me in comparison to 1, 2 and the avengers this was total rubbish. Watched the lot multiple times but this won't be getting another viewing. Liked the villains but this series is heading in a more serious direction which i dislike.

Really, I thought 3 was far superior to IM2, which tried too hard but totally failed.

adzii_nufc 16-08-2013 12:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35611038)
Really, I thought 3 was far superior to IM2, which tried too hard but totally failed.

I'm a sucker for the typical superhero style so when they start moving into something more serious I tend to drift off. It's strange because I thought the villains looked brilliant :(

Paul 20-08-2013 14:07

Kick Ass 2 - 7/10.

Plenty of the expected action, but also a couple of scenes that were just dumb.
The device that made the girls instantly sick just seemed total daft, and out of place.

adzii_nufc 21-08-2013 22:20

Elysium 5/10. Wish I didn't bother.

Tezcatlipoca 22-08-2013 00:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by adzii_nufc (Post 35610973)
Iron Man 3. 2/10

More serious? :confused:

I think it's the least serious of the Iron Man films, played a lot more for laughs.

e.g.

Spoiler: 
The Mandarin!

---------- Post added at 00:47 ---------- Previous post was at 00:47 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThunderPants73 (Post 35606270)

Ditto.

Very predictable in places, but very enjoyable and it looked amazing.

Ravenheart 22-08-2013 07:23

Kick Ass 2 - 7/10

Plenty of violence as you'd expect, enjoyable movie but not as good as the first

budwieser 27-08-2013 21:35

Olympus has fallen.
Great film.

adzii_nufc 01-09-2013 04:40

The Conjuring 8/10 quite a surprising and well made adaption of an Ed and Lorraine Warren case.

TheDaddy 03-09-2013 23:47

The Arrival of Wang 6/10

Final line of movie 10/10 with out doubt one of the most classic lines ever.

Jules 06-09-2013 19:17

Meet the Millers great film and load of laughs in it 8/10

Stephen 06-09-2013 22:26

About Time - 8/10

Great fun movie and another great Richard Curtis movie.

Uncle Peter 11-09-2013 22:44

Drive 9/10

It's that good you don't even need to know the name of the main protagonist. Boss film but not for the squeamish or faint hearted.

Tezcatlipoca 12-09-2013 00:51

I really wasn't impressed with Drive. I liked it, I just didn't see what the fuss was about.

cimt 12-09-2013 00:54

What he said. I didn't think it was all that...

nstokes 13-09-2013 23:02

Rush - 8.5/10

Jimmy-J 14-09-2013 01:35

Now You See Me - Utter rubbish! 1/10

TheDaddy 14-09-2013 01:42

The Wrestler 7/10

alferret 15-09-2013 18:01

World War Z - pretty good film even though it seemed a bit cobbled together.
Made a change to see zombies that had speed and some dexterity. Gonna get hold of the original book (even though it is totally different) looking forward to the second film if it happens. 7.5/10

Colony, good story line badly acted out. 3/10

tizmeinnit 15-09-2013 18:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by alferret (Post 35621988)
World War Z - pretty good film even though it seemed a bit cobbled together.
Made a change to see zombies that had speed and some dexterity. Gonna get hold of the original book (even though it is totally different) looking forward to the second film if it happens. 7.5/10

Colony, good story line badly acted out. 3/10

They were not Zombies ;)

Henkesghost 15-09-2013 19:06

The Evil Dead. Lacked the humour of the original. Gorefest really, disappointed.

4/10

Not seen WWZ yet, love zombie films and a lot of this was shot in my home town, Glasgow. Got some poor reviews though

Uncle Peter 15-09-2013 19:11

Finally got around to watching The Raid last night.

Dodgy acting, boss fight scenes, loads of gore and gibs. Perfect Saturday night entertainment: 8/10

Taf 15-09-2013 19:26

Life of Pi. Beautiful, I can see why it was lauded by critics. 8/10

World War Z. It certainly kept my heart thumping hard until a poor ending. 7/10

alferret 16-09-2013 18:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by tizmeinnit (Post 35621997)
They were not Zombies ;)

Zombies on speed :p:

ThunderPants73 16-09-2013 20:20

Iron Man 3

7/10. The last half hour was good, the stuff before? Not so much.

Three points knocked off for just too much waffling.

.................................................. ..............................................

Law Abiding Citizen

6/10. Three points knocked off for the totally implausible tunnel thing, one point knocked off because I really dislike Gerard Butler.

Ravenheart 17-09-2013 15:56

Insidious Chapter 2 : 4/10

An hour too long, and I've had scarier gas bills.

Ravenheart 25-09-2013 15:27

Rush 8.5/10

Really enjoyed this :)

adzii_nufc 26-09-2013 10:41

Seven Psychopaths.

You could have easily missed this one, I did until I spotted a trailer on youtube. Second time I've watched it. great cast, nice bit of comedy mixed with action and drama.

8/10

alferret 28-09-2013 23:15

Kick ass 2, balls to the wall.
It's ok, not as good as the first one 7.5/10

alferret 30-09-2013 10:52

After Earth.
I thought that this looked promising, but it fell flat on its face. SFX/CGI was ok but the story lacked spark. Dad and lad together, there didn't seem to be any ...... trying to think of the right word.... they didn't compliment each other in the film, it was like they didn't get on in real life and it came out in this film (just my opinion)
5/10
Mediocre.

Tinky 30-09-2013 18:50

The Net - Sandra Bullock 9/10

Enjoyable although a little dated as shown by the use of floppy disks. Never the less worth a couple of hours of your time. :)

harry_hitch 14-10-2013 20:06

The Raid - 9/10.

Fantastic action movie. Although some may be put off by the fact it is Indonesian and therefore subtitled, it is well worth a watch. The plot and story line are pretty basic and is both easy to follow and also see where the ending is heading to. So for me, the script was a little redundant anyway. I have not had so much fun watching a movie in a long time. Written and directed by a Welshman too - Gareth Evans. Looking forward to the sequel, but not so much the American remake!!!

richard1960 15-10-2013 22:21

Steve Coogan -Alpha Papa very funny about a radio station being held hostage, it also helped i saw it in a small theatre in one of the towns they filmed in Sheringham Norfolk. 9/10.:)

adzii_nufc 18-10-2013 20:20

Filth. 9/10

Brilliant film. Brilliant acting and some great twists. McAvoy produced his best

Russ 20-10-2013 20:47

Mediastan - 7/10

This is the film/documentary by wikileaks that 'counters' Fifth Estate. It's nothing ground-breaking and unlikely to shock anyone but it's hard to see America as anything other than negative after watching it.

Ravenheart 23-10-2013 06:58

Captain Phillips 9/10

Brilliantly shot and really ramps up the tension. Casting is brilliant. Really enjoyed it!

Kabaal 23-10-2013 07:49

Curse of Chucky 6/10

I usually find the Chucky movies cheap n nasty feeling but found this one surprisingly enjoyable.

muppetman11 26-10-2013 14:38

Disconnect 8/10

Very enjoyable throughout

Derek 26-10-2013 19:21

Filth 8/10

Very good, fairly faithful to the book and some truly hilarious sequences.

ThunderPants73 27-10-2013 13:06

Despicable Me 2.

Got a soft spot for CGI. Good film, plenty happening but the first had more charm.
7.5/10

SnoopZ 09-11-2013 07:03

Gravity in 3D

Well worth it but make sure you see it in 3D.

8/10

Derek 09-11-2013 08:16

Gravity - 9.5/10

I saw it in IMAX 3D and it was stunning, some proper tension and amazing visuals.

Tezcatlipoca 09-11-2013 16:34

Gravity (3D)

Simple plot, but very tense and thrilling, and totally and utterly visually spectacular. Stunning...

9/10

alferret 10-11-2013 22:35

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2287851/

Last flight to Abuja.

This is a Nigerian film with all the class acting and special effects you would expect from a very low budget made for tv film from an African country.
It's poorly scripted, really badly edited and as for the acting, well say no more.
But for all it's faults it was a good film, enjoyable and I didn't fall asleep. That in itself speaks volumes.
6/10

If you can find it have a watch.

Halcyon 10-11-2013 22:47

GRAVITY

JUst seen this film and now feel like I've just stepped off the Space Shuttle. You are immersed into the whole film. Really good.
Not reccommended if you want a film with lots of people and places....This is mostly one character throughout but definately a good movie.

thenry 10-11-2013 22:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by tizmeinnit (Post 35524791)
Zero Dark Thirty 8/10 very good story shows the CIA how you would expect them to be

ThunderPants73 14-11-2013 22:24

The Wolverine
6/10
A bit of a letdown. Not as much action as I expected but I enjoyed Japan.

Stephen 14-11-2013 22:59

Gravity 3D - 9/10

Stunning and totally immersive. Edge of your seat stuff. Loved it.

Tezcatlipoca 14-11-2013 23:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThunderPants73 (Post 35645349)
The Wolverine
6/10
A bit of a letdown. Not as much action as I expected but I enjoyed Japan.

That's pretty much what I'd score it.

It was better than the first Wolverine film, at least. But that's not a hard thing...

It did have some very good action sequences, but overall I found it... boring. I also didn't think much of the end, and I thought that Viper was a poor-man's Poison Ivy with added snakiness.

The best bit was the mid-credits sequence...

Paul 15-11-2013 01:14

Thor - Darkworld 7/10.

Plenty of action, some good humour, reasonable story.
It was somewhat predicable in many places, but hey, loved it anyway.

Anonymouse 15-11-2013 11:52

Star Trek: Into Darkness.

I received this as a birthday pressie on DVD. It was rather disappointing, so it's just as well I didn't go to the cinema.

The original Khan was a way better villain than the new, bland version, though Spock's description of him as the most dangerous threat they ever faced was exaggerated. I'd say the Doomsday Machine and that energy-eating space bacterium were worse.

Reversing the roles of who died of radiation poisoning and was restored to life is not an original touch. Carol Marcus' brief dishabille was appreciated (she is gorgeous, after all) but gratuitous.

I still can't accept Uhura gettin' it on with Spock. That's just wrong. So is Kirk being promoted from Ensign (and technically he didn't even graduate from Starfleet Academy!) straight to Captain. Even the original James T. Kirk couldn't have coped with that.

On the other hand, Scotty and Bones are dead on; both the actors have thoroughly nailed it. Even Chekov has his moments (though I can't accept that Kirk would've placed a green ensign in charge of Engineering - where was Scotty's deputy?)

But the worst mistake was simply throwing away the whole Section 31 mythos. In the original canon, Section 31 was in fact created as part of the Starfleet Charter. The name is a reference to the thirty-first section of that Charter, which in somewhat vague wording talks about the creation of an autonomous agency (see the novel Section 31: Cloak). In other words, even though Section 31 was a perversion of everything the Federation stood for, it was, nonetheless, a legitimately created agency. That was what was so intriguing about it; it was so cool for the Trek universe to acquire a dark corner or two.

And here's J.J. Adams just throwing it all away! I shudder to think what he's going to do to Star Wars...!

ThunderPants73 17-11-2013 12:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D (Post 35645375)
That's pretty much what I'd score it.

It was better than the first Wolverine film, at least. But that's not a hard thing...

It did have some very good action sequences, but overall I found it... boring. I also didn't think much of the end, and I thought that Viper was a poor-man's Poison Ivy with added snakiness.

The best bit was the mid-credits sequence...

I thought the same about the credits sequence!

adzii_nufc 18-11-2013 16:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anonymouse (Post 35645489)
Star Trek: Into Darkness.

I received this as a birthday pressie on DVD. It was rather disappointing, so it's just as well I didn't go to the cinema.

The original Khan was a way better villain than the new, bland version, though Spock's description of him as the most dangerous threat they ever faced was exaggerated. I'd say the Doomsday Machine and that energy-eating space bacterium were worse.

Reversing the roles of who died of radiation poisoning and was restored to life is not an original touch. Carol Marcus' brief dishabille was appreciated (she is gorgeous, after all) but gratuitous.

I still can't accept Uhura gettin' it on with Spock. That's just wrong. So is Kirk being promoted from Ensign (and technically he didn't even graduate from Starfleet Academy!) straight to Captain. Even the original James T. Kirk couldn't have coped with that.

On the other hand, Scotty and Bones are dead on; both the actors have thoroughly nailed it. Even Chekov has his moments (though I can't accept that Kirk would've placed a green ensign in charge of Engineering - where was Scotty's deputy?)

But the worst mistake was simply throwing away the whole Section 31 mythos. In the original canon, Section 31 was in fact created as part of the Starfleet Charter. The name is a reference to the thirty-first section of that Charter, which in somewhat vague wording talks about the creation of an autonomous agency (see the novel Section 31: Cloak). In other words, even though Section 31 was a perversion of everything the Federation stood for, it was, nonetheless, a legitimately created agency. That was what was so intriguing about it; it was so cool for the Trek universe to acquire a dark corner or two.

And here's J.J. Adams just throwing it all away! I shudder to think what he's going to do to Star Wars...!

If you view the films as a reboot and as someone that's never bothered to watch any of the series (Before my time) I think they're brilliant films. They appeal to the younger generation more than the die hard fans. As someone who wasn't at all interested in Star Trek, these films have got me hooked and waiting for a third.

denphone 18-11-2013 16:55

The Hobbit 9/10

A excellent film in which Peter Jackson has again delivered the goods to Audiences.

ThunderPants73 19-11-2013 21:31

Gravity 3D
8/10
Stunning film, marred a little by the Odeon's less than brilliant screen. If you go see this film, go IMAX.

Uncle Peter 20-11-2013 23:31

The Usual Suspects

Never bothered watching this up until now and I regret doing so.

Slow, Dull, fragmented and over-acted.

Basically a pretentious load of tosh - 1/10 and that's being generous

adzii_nufc 22-11-2013 20:05

Gravity 6/10 only movie that was in Imax up here. Seems as overrated as they come. For anyone that doesn't regularly watch in Imax you'll find this spectacular but for me it was just an average movie with a less than average cast.

Thor: The dark world 8/10. Hyped for Captain America now that looks much better than the original.

Barewolf 23-11-2013 03:41

Elisyium 9/10

I thought this was a good film, made a change from the usual ones ive seen, it had a good storyline but i think the movie could have been a bit better as it was set in the future 200 years, but they were driving around in cars from today, i thought that let the movie down, but the rest was really good.

Its on my top 20 list of films i like so i was pretty impressed.

---------- Post added at 03:41 ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by adzii_nufc (Post 35646515)
If you view the films as a reboot and as someone that's never bothered to watch any of the series (Before my time) I think they're brilliant films. They appeal to the younger generation more than the die hard fans. As someone who wasn't at all interested in Star Trek, these films have got me hooked and waiting for a third.

I agree, i think the new star trek films are brilliant, they do lack a certain thing but im not sure what, they have the music right, the characters are brilliant, but theres something missing.

Id love to see the 3rd film, i cant wait, any true trekkies will probably agree theres something missing but they pretty much got it nailed.

Uncle Peter 23-11-2013 12:24

Headhunters - Norwegian film based on the Jo Nesbø novel. An art thief steals a valuable painting from the wrong person: a former spec-ops soldier. You can kind of guess the rest.

Excellent plot with loads of action and a smidgeon of dry humour although rather full of holes due to time constraints. Well worth a watch: 8/10

Russ 28-11-2013 16:32

Alpha Papa - 3/10.

Was never a massive Alan Partridge fan but decided to give it a go but it was largely unfunny. Michael the Geordie was always my favourite character and each time he appears he steals every scene in the film. It has one single funny line: "Dear God let them be firm" (if you've seen it, good - I didn't fancy explaining it...) and not long after that I switched it off, can't be bothered how it ends.

richard s 29-11-2013 10:02

Robinson Crusoe on Mars (1964) - watched off Netflix. Features the original Batman (Mr Adam West) at the start.

Ahead of its time, the Kids will love it. 9/10.

Mick Fisher 29-11-2013 17:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard s (Post 35650550)
Robinson Crusoe on Mars (1964) - watched off Netflix. Features the original Batman (Mr Adam West) at the start.

Ahead of its time, the Kids will love it. 9/10.

Too many years ago, in another life. One Xmas time or maybe it was New Year, I got very wrecked.

After staying out most all night I returned early in the morning and flaked out on the settee. When I came too, with the mummy and daddy of a huge hangover, I remember that movie was on our then, newish colour TV. I watched it through one eye and surprisingly enjoyed it before drifting off into oblivium once more.

Thanks for jogging an old memory. :)

ThunderPants73 30-11-2013 17:24

Man of Steel

0/10

Appalling, disjointed mess of a film. Leading character had no personality whatsoever. Amy Adams looked puffy and confused. Russell Crowe crept about in corridors. Superhumans threw each other into buildings - over, and over and over again.

The whole evening was best summed up by the following:

'I need to pee, don't bother to pause it'

Stephen 30-11-2013 21:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThunderPants73 (Post 35650998)
Man of Steel

0/10

Appalling, disjointed mess of a film. Leading character had no personality whatsoever. Amy Adams looked puffy and confused. Russell Crowe crept about in corridors. Superhumans threw each other into buildings - over, and over and over again.

The whole evening was best summed up by the following:

'I need to pee, don't bother to pause it'

Each to their own I guess but this was one f my top movies of the year. Great Superman movie and did most things brilliantly.

He is Kal-El, he has a personality. Read any of the classic comics or old TV series.

harry_hitch 01-12-2013 20:12

Texas Chainsaw (2013)

1/10

Thankfully I was not expecting much from this, and I did not plan to watch it, but curiosity got the better of me. This was just pure drivel though, complete and utter dross. Predictable, with a very weak script and even worse acting. It offered nothing new or original and I did not care for any of the characters. Even if I had not seen (and loved) the original, I would still have detested this.

Words fail me for how poor this movie is.

The only bright spot from this was them showing some scenes from the original and seeing how they "finished it off."

Uncle Peter 02-12-2013 00:06

Old Boy - Korean film a bout a businessman who is imprisoned for 15 years. By whom and for what reason remains a mystery which is the basis of the movie.

Rather disturbing but riveting and very well executed.

8/10

alferret 02-12-2013 01:31

A very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas (in glorious 2D)
6/10
Funny in places, enough to keep me watching but not as good as previous outings.

richard s 02-12-2013 09:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by harry_hitch (Post 35651384)
Texas Chainsaw (2013)

1/10

Thankfully I was not expecting much from this, and I did not plan to watch it, but curiosity got the better of me. This was just pure drivel though, complete and utter dross. Predictable, with a very weak script and even worse acting. It offered nothing new or original and I did not care for any of the characters. Even if I had not seen (and loved) the original, I would still have detested this.

Words fail me for how poor this movie is.

The only bright spot from this was them showing some scenes from the original and seeing how they "finished it off."

You have to remember it was 5 years before the moon landings.
Technology has moved on in the last fifty years!

ThunderPants73 12-12-2013 22:10

The Family

6/10

Now I'm a big fan of a bit of gratuitous violence but somehow it just didn't sit right with this film. Maybe because it was supposed to be a comedy. Disappointed.

Chad 12-12-2013 23:01

Gravity 5/10 - As a visual spectacle it's fantastic however the story line isn't great and the script was pretty awful. Totally over-hyped purely down to the 3D experience.

ThunderPants73 17-12-2013 18:58

The Desolation of Smaug

7/10. Better than the first one (not difficult). Still went on a bit, and with 3/4 of an hour of ads before hand, my backside was numb.

Stephen 18-12-2013 19:09

The Hobbit - The Desolation of Smaug 3d HFR

7/10 for the actual gilm. Bit long but quite enjoyed it.

However the HFR was awful. It looked very smooth and the scenery shots looked fab but all the action and most of the movie looked like a TV show rather than a movie. Its like when you get a new TV and it has all those smoothing options enabled. Some parts even looked sped up. The only good thing was that it made the 3D look better and didn't tire out my eyes.

First and last HFR for me.

TheDaddy 20-12-2013 02:44

Max Payne I liked it despite what the critics said 7/10

ThunderPants73 22-12-2013 15:40

The Necessary Death of Charlie Countryman.

7/10

Nice to see Shia Labeouf can act. Decent film but put me off ever going to Bucharest. Not that I was ever going to go anyway....

thenry 23-12-2013 06:51

Identity Thief 8/10 such a stupid funny film

Russ 27-12-2013 07:15

jOBS - 8/10

Maybe it's because I was never a massive Apple fan before I had my iPhone (therefore didn't know much about Steve Jobs' reputation and history) and was never blind to its limitations but I didn't understand the criticism of this film - I really liked it.

If the portrayal of him was genuine then it seems that although he had a brilliant mind he was a very obnoxious and unpleasant piece of work when things didn't go his way. But whatever, I liked the film and at times AK looked exactly like him.

tizmeinnit 27-12-2013 08:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ (Post 35658045)
jOBS - 8/10

Maybe it's because I was never a massive Apple fan before I had my iPhone (therefore didn't know much about Steve Jobs' reputation and history) and was never blind to its limitations but I didn't understand the criticism of this film - I really liked it.

If the portrayal of him was genuine then it seems that although he had a brilliant mind he was a very obnoxious and unpleasant piece of work when things didn't go his way. But whatever, I liked the film and at times AK looked exactly like him.

do not need a film to tell me that lol

Chad 28-12-2013 15:09

Anchorman 2 - 3/10

It was just so poor. It ran for 2 hours but should have only been about 80 minutes long in reality. It felt like self indulgent buffoonery from all involved. A few minor funny moments has saved this from getting a 1 or 2 out of 10.

Stephen 28-12-2013 15:11

Empire of the Sun 8/10

Wish I'd watched it earlier. Great movie.

Hom3r 28-12-2013 16:34

Cloud Atlas 8/10

I weird watching the end credit (nearly 3 hours later), to see what roles the main stars appeared in and to see that they had played characters of the opposite sex.

Jimmy-J 28-12-2013 22:02

Sexy Beast - 6/10

tizmeinnit 30-12-2013 22:46

Desolation of Smaug 7:10 as a film its quite good but all the padding and the added stuff to appease those who have only ever seen the LOTR films with stuff that just should not be in it annoys the crap out of me . They should have made it just 1 or 2 movies at most

Stuart 30-12-2013 23:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ (Post 35658045)

I'm not defending Steve Jobs, but I suspect he was not the only business person who could be obnoxious and unpleasant when things didn't go his way. I've read that both Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer could be really nasty when they didn't like something that had happened..

As a backup to the obnoxious and unpleasant comment, I heard a story about how Steve Jobs dealt with the farce that was the Mobile Me launch. He called the team behind it into his office and asked two questions. One was "Can anyone tell me what the ***** this thing is supposed to do?" and when they started to utter an explanation, he stopped them and asked "Right, can anyone tell me why the **** it isn't doing it?". Mobile Me improved very quickly after that.

Getting back on topic, I am currently watching Return of the Jedi on Blu Ray. Seen the film hundreds of times but I still think the original three SW films have a certain magic that the prequels (while they were enjoyable in their own right) lacked. Even though they did add the rather pointless cry of "Noooo" when Vader kills the emperor (I think that scene is far more powerful without it). 8/10

Jimmy-J 31-12-2013 01:32

Casino 6/10

Jimmy-J 31-12-2013 05:15

American Hustle - 8.5/10

Tezcatlipoca 31-12-2013 05:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35658872)
Getting back on topic, I am currently watching Return of the Jedi on Blu Ray. Seen the film hundreds of times but I still think the original three SW films have a certain magic that the prequels (while they were enjoyable in their own right) lacked. Even though they did add the rather pointless cry of "Noooo" when Vader kills the emperor (I think that scene is far more powerful without it). 8/10

In addition to the ridiculous "Nooooo!", there's also the replacement force ghost for Anakin along with extra muppet celebrations :(

Empire is the least butchered by Lucas.

I had hoped when Disney bought Lucasfilm that it would mean we'd get the original original trilogy on Blu-ray, but apparently there are still issues with the rights as Fox owns the distribution rights still for the first trilogy.

tizmeinnit 31-12-2013 14:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D (Post 35658900)
In addition to the ridiculous "Nooooo!", there's also the replacement force ghost for Anakin along with extra muppet celebrations :(

Empire is the least butchered by Lucas.

I had hoped when Disney bought Lucasfilm that it would mean we'd get the original original trilogy on Blu-ray, but apparently there are still issues with the rights as Fox owns the distribution rights still for the first trilogy.

TESB is easily the best of the Star Wars movies imo

ThunderPants73 01-01-2014 18:53

The French Connection
7/10

Stephen 01-01-2014 19:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35658981)
We watched the Bond film last night: "Quantum of solace"

First 30 mins was a WTF moment. Editing too over the top. Eventually it settled down. Daniel Craig is quite a good Bond and I like Helen Mirren as "m". I think the whole lot needs a serious re-edit to actually make a plot emerge from the disjointed action sequences. poor. 4/10

Its my least fav Bond film of them all.

Its Dame Judy Dench not Helen Mirren.

dilli-theclaw 01-01-2014 19:10

Natalie and I went to see the second hobbit film. I thought it was ok.