Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Britain outside the EU (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709659)

1andrew1 18-02-2024 21:33

Re: Britain outside the EU

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36170429)
I remember it being Jonbxx

Ian too with his opera-singing son.

Pierre 18-02-2024 21:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36170430)
Ian too with his opera-singing son.

Well he only has himself to blame for destroying his sons dreams.

ianch99 18-02-2024 23:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36170427)
I suspect a kinder interpretation would be that they could not know precisely what they were voting for as there was no deal to vote on, just a concept.

Or that the grifters informed them there would no downsides, only upsides

Not a kinder interpretation I feel. If you are going to vote to change the country then, as a citizen, there is a degree of due diligence required. They were told that the desire was to leave the EU and it takes 5 seconds on a well known search engine to list the consequences of this.

Sephiroth 19-02-2024 09:57

Ian hates Brexit, dislikes people who voted for it and he suggests that they might have voted differently had they used Google. There it is folks.

denphone 19-02-2024 10:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36170444)

Ian hates Brexit, dislikes people who voted for it and he suggests that they might have voted differently had they used Google. There it is folks.

l don't hate Brexit, l don't dislike those who voted for it.

What it has been is a unmitigated disaster for this country.

The seven years since have proved that unequivocally.

ianch99 19-02-2024 10:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36170444)

There is what?

I think that if you are going to change the country you live in, you should do at least a little research first. Seems fair to me. You think the opposite.

Sephiroth 19-02-2024 11:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 36170439)
Not a kinder interpretation I feel. If you are going to vote to change the country then, as a citizen, there is a degree of due diligence required. They were told that the desire was to leave the EU and it takes 5 seconds on a well known search engine to list the consequences of this.

You have absolutely no facts to back up your suggestion that Leave voters did not assess the consequences. You're basically implying that Leave voters were all dumbos. You never stop whingeing about Brexit.

Btw, have you ever directly answered the question (which I'm now putting) as to whether or not you approve of a single country, Europe, with overarching law coming from Brussels?

---------- Post added at 11:13 ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36170445)

Quote:

You're not Ian.

Quote:

Imo, you are overstating the matter. Brexit isn't the cause of the difficulties we are facing; it's incompetent government.

denphone 19-02-2024 11:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36170448)
You have absolutely no facts to back up your suggestion that Leave voters did not assess the consequences. You're basically implying that Leave voters were all dumbos. You never stop whingeing about Brexit.

Btw, have you ever directly answered the question (which I'm now putting) as to whether or not you approve of a single country, Europe, with overarching law coming from Brussels?

---------- Post added at 11:13 ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 ----------

You're not Ian.

Imo, you are overstating the matter. Brexit isn't the cause of the difficulties we are facing; it's incompetent government.

A government elected because of Brexit if you rightly remember on 2019.

Sephiroth 19-02-2024 11:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36170451)
A government elected because of Brexit if you rightly remember on 2019.

Yes - and they screwed up in every way possible. 52% voted for Brexit and that was delivered. A good government could have done better since.

There was aleays going to be a period of business adjustment in the various sectors. Our government failed to make the UK attractive to investors through incentives.

jonbxx 19-02-2024 12:10

There was an opportunity after the Brexit vote to engage all parties and reach some kind of consensus on the way forward following the result. I feel that this opportunity was not really taken. Saying ‘you lost, get over it’ is not constructive. Insinuating that people who didn’t want to leave the EU were tantamount to traitors who hated the UK is pretty insulting.

I voted remain but I accept the result. Do I think leaving is a bad idea now? Very much so. Do I think the reality of what we have now matched the promises of the Leave campaign? Definitely not. As is often the case, political dogma does not last long when reality hits

1andrew1 19-02-2024 12:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36170452)
Yes - and they screwed up in every way possible. 52% voted for Brexit and that was delivered. A good government could have done better since.

There was aleays going to be a period of business adjustment in the various sectors. Our government failed to make the UK attractive to investors through incentives.

Such a narrow margin should have resulted in a far softer Brexit and a period of reflection not panic.

Instead, fearful of Farage, under Johnson and his Covid-busting chums we got the divisive rhetoric of we won, you lost, get over it, the only true Brexit is a hard Brexit.

The government's been throwing subsidies to business that would make even Tony Benn blush. Money is not the answer and the Northern Ireland protocol limits what we can do anyway.

Instead, Britain needs to be more productive to make it worthwhile to invest here. Brexit red tape worsens UK productivity and the government is introducing yet more of it from April. Hence why Tesla and BYD ruled out the UK as a car factory site.

Sephiroth 19-02-2024 13:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36170466)
Such a narrow margin should have resulted in a far softer Brexit and a period of reflection not panic.

Instead, fearful of Farage, under Johnson and his Covid-busting chums we got the divisive rhetoric of we won, you lost, get over it, the only true Brexit is a hard Brexit.

The government's been throwing subsidies to business that would make even Tony Benn blush. Money is not the answer and the Northern Ireland protocol limits what we can do anyway.

Instead, Britain needs to be more productive to make it worthwhile to invest here. Brexit red tape worsens UK productivity and the government is introducing yet more of it from April. Hence why Tesla and BYD ruled out the UK as a car factory site.

Quote:

A Remainer would say that. That said, if I was a complete outsider, with a completely open mind and a good understanding of human and political psychology, I might understand that the 52% included a spectrum of Leave beliefs. In the end, the deal we negotiated surely did reflect the 52/48 split. Had it been, say a 67/34 pro-Brexit split, we might have just walked away (not sure about that though).

Quote:

The above statement stands on its own as valid without the first paragraph that I quoted.

ianch99 19-02-2024 15:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36170448)
You have absolutely no facts to back up your suggestion that Leave voters did not assess the consequences. You're basically implying that Leave voters were all dumbos

Wind your neck in. I actually said the opposite, it was others who suggested that some may not have thought through the consequences.

You need to drop the pearl clutching faux outage and just accept the facts as they stand. You, and others, turn a specific point into a generic attack and then kick off on some pretend offence. You need to grow up.

Sephiroth 19-02-2024 15:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 36170493)
Wind your neck in. I actually said the opposite, it was others who suggested that some may not have thought through the consequences.

You need to drop the pearl clutching faux outage and just accept the facts as they stand. You, and others, turn a specific point into a generic attack and then kick off on some pretend offence. You need to grow up.

The facts as they stand are as follows:

1. Leave won the Brexit referendum.

2. The UK has exited the EU.

3. The government has incompetently handled the economy since then.

Your generic attacks on Brexit are worthless.

Sirius 19-02-2024 15:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36170445)

What he said :clap: