Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Post-Brexit Thread (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33703180)

denphone 27-06-2016 18:26

Re: Post-Brexit Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 35846306)
but there are a lot more racists incidents it seems.

Police say there has been a 57% increase in reporting of hate crimes since last Friday as there were 85 reports between Thursday 23 –Sunday 26 June compared with 54 reports the corresponding 4 days four weeks ago but they do stress that this is increase in reporting to one portal but not an increase in actual incidents.

martyh 27-06-2016 18:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 35846306)
but there are a lot more racists incidents it seems.

To be honest i think they where just as racist last week/last year they just had a different justification for it in their simple little minds

ntluser 27-06-2016 18:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35846311)
So the exact opposite of what he was saying during the campaign .I certainly do not favour invoking A50 immediately if at all but you would think an experienced statesman like Cameron would know that invoking A50 without a plan going forward is just plain nuts

Agreed. It would be very foolish to meet to negotiate with the EU without having a few options prepared first.

denphone 27-06-2016 18:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by ntluser (Post 35846310)
I often wish that there was some magic spell that would temporarily transform racists so that they would be forced into the footsteps of people who they detest in order that they could experience what racism is like when they are on the receiving end.

Maybe then they would understand better what it is like to be persecuted, disrespected, humiliated, ill-treated and hated.

Indeed l quite agree as l remember in the 70's and 80's when it was much worse and what is was like for many of our family as we faced racist taunts and abuse a fair bit especially when we went to School and l remember one incident when my parents had a New Year party and somebody brought along a friend and he came out with some racist remarks about us and my Dad and brothers found out and before l knew it my brother planted one on the man and knocked him out stone cold and then faced a charge from the police soon afterwards.

Damien 27-06-2016 18:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by RizzyKing (Post 35846298)
Racists are ignorant knuckle draggers and are absolutely nothing to do with leave voters or in anyway represent them this is just their latest excuse to attack people and it's not like they need much. For the ones commiting racist acts it doesn't matter who condemns them because they don't care and I've seen it for myself as we had a card posted through our letterbox this afternoon telling us "to go home, your not wanted". I assume it was meant for my eastern European neighbours but I'm happy for them to think my house is the one so my neighbours don't have to deal with it.

Have had the same thing happen at least once a year so it's a bit of a ritual now pick it off the floor, look at it, laugh and put it in the bin. Racism is ever present in a very small minority and always will be there are no more racists this week then there were before the referendum.

More people seem to be committing racist abuse though and I would say that whilst it's a minority it's not really that small. As denphone says there is evidence of an increase in hate crimes and anecdotally it is being noticed as well. It doesn't matter if there are 'no more racists than before' the referendum seems to have emboldened them.

We all need to watch this. Both condemn it and also remember how ignoring legitimate concerns over immigration can make the issue worse.

Everyone now needs to watch this, Remain or Leave. Because if people are lied too again on immigration then we'll be feeding this beast. If Boris and Gove do plan to take the EEA route with freedom of movement having run a campaign that tapped into those concerns then they deserve plenty of criticism for stoking up an issue they never intended to address.

ntluser 27-06-2016 18:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35846316)
More people seem to be committing racist abuse though and I would say that whilst it's a minority it's not really that small. As denphone says there is evidence of an increase in hate crimes and anecdotally it is being noticed as well. It doesn't matter if there are 'no more racists than before' the referendum seems to have emboldened them.

We all need to watch this. Both condemn it and also remember how ignoring legitimate concerns over immigration can make the issue worse.

Everyone now needs to watch this, Remain or Leave. Because if people are lied too again on immigration then we'll be feeding this beast. If Boris and Gove do plan to take the EEA route with freedom of movement having run a campaign that tapped into those concerns then they deserve plenty of criticism for stoking up an issue they never intended to address.

The only way you avoid the freedom of movement requirement is probably not to trade with the EU or the EEA.

This means trading with other countries outside Europe. Whether we could cope satisfactorily is a moot question.

---------- Post added at 18:45 ---------- Previous post was at 18:42 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35846315)
Indeed l quite agree as l remember in the 70's and 80's when it was much worse and what is was like for many of our family as we faced racist taunts and abuse a fair bit especially when we went to School and l remember one incident when my parents had a New Year party and somebody brought along a friend and he came out with some racist remarks about us and my Dad and brothers found out and before l knew it my brother planted one on the man and knocked him out stone cold and then faced a charge from the police soon afterwards.

I am sorry to hear that. It's never nice to be subjected to racist treatment.

RBMark 27-06-2016 18:47

We will know if Brexit effects immigration over the coming months. I can see a situation where immigrants now head to Scotland. As England and Wales were majority Brexit and the whole of Scotland are remain.

An Alex Salmond has basically said Scotland is open and welcomes immigrants, could be a repeat of Merkel and the amazingly good effect she had on convincing migrants how open and tolerant Germany is. Time will tell, hopefully although we need to control immigration to a point it doesn't put off migrants heading to England.

Although if Scotland are determined to stay in the EU after Brexit, if I was thinking of migrating to then UK right now I guess it would make sense to head to Scotland.

Ignitionnet 27-06-2016 18:48

Posted by FT Economics Editor, from http://www.llewellyn-consulting.com/

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2016/06/11.jpg

Their clients can probably find ways to preserve wealth. Not a good time to be retiring imminently though for 'normal' mortals. Fingers crossed that they are wrong.

martyh 27-06-2016 18:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by ntluser (Post 35846318)
The only way you avoid the freedom of movement requirement is probably not to trade with the EU or the EEA.

This means trading with other countries outside Europe. Whether we could cope satisfactorily is a moot question.[COLOR="Silver"]

We can still trade with the EU just as easily as America,Australia,China,India etc,etc possibly even easier as we have all the standards and regulations required,i have always said throughout the campaign that trade with the EU after Brexit is the least of our worries

Russ 27-06-2016 18:52

Word is Plaid Cymru will be pushing for Welsh independence. Utterly utterly stupid idea.

denphone 27-06-2016 18:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ (Post 35846326)
Word is Plaid Cymru will be pushing for Welsh independence. Utterly utterly stupid idea.

+1

martyh 27-06-2016 18:57

Standard and Poors just cut the UK credit rating to AA

no link yet Sky breaking news

Damien 27-06-2016 18:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35846330)
Standard and Poors just cut the UK credit rating to AA

no link yet Sky breaking news

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/06/27/sp-cu...-from-aaa.html

Expected.

TheDaddy 27-06-2016 18:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 35846145)
As I pointed out, it is essential for them because they have to build up the portfolio of their Sovereign Fund.
From Jan 2016, ie NOT 2012.
Dec 2015

Of the 37,474 that left, only 10,090 were Norwegian. Eg 3.446 were Polish.

And they get the "better" ones.

That's refugees they're sending back not eu citizens. ..

---------- Post added at 18:59 ---------- Previous post was at 18:58 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ (Post 35846326)

I think it's a great idea, I'd vote for it if able

martyh 27-06-2016 19:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35846331)

Is it that big a deal ?