Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Russia has invaded Ukraine (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710768)

Damien 24-01-2022 16:23

Re: Russia & Ukraine invasion threat (Defcon 4)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36110856)
Iron Dome is really designed to stop short range rockets and ballistic shells of the sort lobbed into Israel from Gaza. For stopping heavyweight missiles you need David’s Sling:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David's_Sling?wprov=sfti1

They know how to name things.

I remember a while ago putting Star Wars in Eastern Europe was deemed provocative to Russia, might as well look at it again.

1andrew1 24-01-2022 16:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36110859)
They know how to name things.

I remember a while ago putting Star Wars in Eastern Europe was deemed provocative to Russia, might as well look at it again.

Agreed. The West needs to harness its technological strengths.

Sephiroth 24-01-2022 17:12

There will be all sorts of quiet goings on militarily, I reckon.

It strikes me that we have a "Def Con" situation and maybe we/NATO should at this stage invoke some exclusion zones to keep Russian spy ships away.

1andrew1 24-01-2022 17:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36110827)
The Ukraine...

Pedant mode. Ukraine not the Ukraine. ;)

Hom3r 24-01-2022 17:36

Well at least I'm too old to join the army.

Many years ago during Gulf War II, I was in a job that gave me protected status as the job I did would have been vital for our forces, the OSA stops me saying exactly what.

nomadking 24-01-2022 18:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36110821)
Don’t remember the Irish Sea being of strategic importance to the Russians.

Also, comparing 2,000 troops in that exercise with the 100,000 Russian troops along the Ukrainian border is a little fallacious.

Also, from your link

My point being they are NOT planning to be in the Irish Sea.
The 2,000 were just the naval personnel.

Quote:

Friday’s exercise ran in parallel to Sea Breeze 2021 – a major annual naval exercise in the Black Sea - which involves 5,000 troops from NATO and other countries and around 30 ships and 40 aircraft.
So that's 7,000 naval and air personnel just in the Black Sea area.
Then there are the NATO troops that have been involved in exercises in Ukraine. Why the need to hold the exercises on Russia's doorstep?
Two years ago, NATO planned exercises(Neptune Strike 22) due for next month in the Med, involving at least 3 carrier groups. Is that meant to be a sign of aggressive intent?
NATO exercises seem to be more about systems, than numbers. Why else would one of them in Ukraine involve the Washington National Guard?

Hugh 24-01-2022 18:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36110878)
My point being they are NOT planning to be in the Irish Sea.
The 2,000 were just the naval personnel.

So that's 7,000 naval and air personnel just in the Black Sea area.
Then there are the NATO troops that have been involved in exercises in Ukraine. Why the need to hold the exercises on Russia's doorstep?
Two years ago, NATO planned exercises(Neptune Strike 22) due for next month in the Med, involving at least 3 carrier groups. Is that meant to be a sign of aggressive intent?
NATO exercises seem to be more about systems, than numbers. Why else would one of them in Ukraine involve the Washington National Guard?

Because the point of exercises is to simulate what might happen in the real world should an aggressor decide to attack, including where it would happen - the layout of the land is very important.

It seems strange you don’t have the same passion about the Russian aggression/annexation in Crimea, and the ongoing fighting since then between Russian proxy forces and Ukraine - or is it OK because it’s Russia?

Mr K 24-01-2022 18:49

The West has been divided and weakened by Russian interference in our elections. We're weak they know it and will walk in, knowing we're incapable if doing anything. Job well done by them.

papa smurf 24-01-2022 18:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36110889)
The West has been divided and weakened by Russian interference in our elections. We're weak they know it and will walk in, knowing we're incapable if doing anything. Job well done by them.

And Beijing Barry ;)

nomadking 24-01-2022 19:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36110882)
Because the point of exercises is to simulate what might happen in the real world should an aggressor decide to attack, including where it would happen - the layout of the land is very important.

It seems strange you don’t have the same passion about the Russian aggression/annexation in Crimea, and the ongoing fighting since then between Russian proxy forces and Ukraine - or is it OK because it’s Russia?

NATO has plenty of land and sea to "play" with. Russia in wintertime not so much. Eg What's the Washington National Guard doing in Ukraine? Washington State not big enough or suitable enough?:confused:
IIRC 60% of Crimean population is Russian. There was a vote, which is more than Eastern Ukraine(largely Russian) has been allowed.
Air attacks on Eastern Ukrainian rebels ok, but air attacks on Syrian rebels isn't? Not exactly consistent is it?

Nothing to do with whether something involves Russia or not, it's the matter of the staggering levels of hypocrisy and hysteria.

Mick 24-01-2022 21:10

LATEST: U.S Pentagon puts 8,500 troops on heightened state of “readiness”, in the event of Russia invading Ukraine.

1andrew1 24-01-2022 21:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36110898)
NATO has plenty of land and sea to "play" with. Russia in wintertime not so much. Eg What's the Washington National Guard doing in Ukraine? Washington State not big enough or suitable enough?:confused:
IIRC 60% of Crimean population is Russian. There was a vote, which is more than Eastern Ukraine(largely Russian) has been allowed.
Air attacks on Eastern Ukrainian rebels ok, but air attacks on Syrian rebels isn't? Not exactly consistent is it?

Nothing to do with whether something involves Russia or not, it's the matter of the staggering levels of hypocrisy and hysteria.

You had the opportunity to create a topic on Syria or Eastern Ukraine on the Forum but chose not to.

And then you complain that no one discussed these issues that you decided not to raise. :confused:

Sephiroth 24-01-2022 21:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36110914)
You had the opportunity to create a topic on Syria or Eastern Ukraine on the Forum but chose not to.

And then you complain that no one discussed these issues that you decided not to raise. :confused:

... on a pedantic point: "... issues that you had not decided to raise."

LOL.

1andrew1 24-01-2022 21:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36110916)

... on a pedantic point: "... issues that you had not decided to raise."

LOL.

Fair cop, guv. ;)

Mick 24-01-2022 22:06

BREAKING: NATO says European leaders and U.S President Joe Biden stand united in warning Russia that an attack on Ukraine will provoke a tough response.