Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Is Britain a Christian country? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33697437)

Angua 21-04-2014 11:02

re: Is Britain a Christian country?

I suspect many who believe in God may not do so governed by a particular faith. So in that respect cannot be labeled as more than a believer in something other outside themselves.

Where there is a difficulty is these believers may still label themselves as being CofE or whatever, whilst having not set foot in a place of worship or read a holy book in years.

Gary L 21-04-2014 11:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35690872)
But Gary it seems to be only you that would lie on these forms. Everyone else would be honest.

It's not about lying. saying you are when you know you're not.
it's about are you saying you are, but you don't really know. or you might not actually care?

---------- Post added at 11:05 ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35690873)
Gary, you appear to be stating that a true Christian is someone who isn't really?

Why have you included the word true in the statement?
May be, Hugh.
someone who claims to be a Christian. may not be really.
not as you have put it. all real Christians are not really Christians.

---------- Post added at 11:06 ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angua (Post 35690874)
Where there is a difficulty is these believers may still label themselves as being CofE or whatever, whilst having not set foot in a place of worship or read a holy book in years.

Finally. someone who sees it how it is.
me and you could debate all day :)

Mr Angry 21-04-2014 11:07

My head hurts already.

Gary L 21-04-2014 11:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35690861)
With the greatest respect to you, and without wishing to tread on your faith in any way - I don't think you can.

You can identify with the teachings of Jesus to a great extent, for sure, but his teachings, and the teachings of his first followers as recorded in the New Testament, are so completely connected to the living of the Christian life alongside a community of Christian believers, that I don't think you can get to the end of your life and say you've lived a Christian life if you never allowed yourself to be a part of the community of it.

Is this Christianity in it's "true sense" then?

martyh 21-04-2014 11:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35690861)
With the greatest respect to you, and without wishing to tread on your faith in any way - I don't think you can.

You can identify with the teachings of Jesus to a great extent, for sure, but his teachings, and the teachings of his first followers as recorded in the New Testament, are so completely connected to the living of the Christian life alongside a community of Christian believers, that I don't think you can get to the end of your life and say you've lived a Christian life if you never allowed yourself to be a part of the community of it.

I'm deliberately avoiding the word 'church' as it seems to me that what you have in mind is a big old stone building, and using the word 'community' because that's nearer to what the word 'church' actually means, as used in the New Testament. The church is an organised gathering of believers with leadership and a mission to support each other and spread the Christian faith.

This is where the biggest disagreement is i feel .A lot of people will say they are Christians simply because they identify with Christian beliefs(i fall into that category) ,others say they are Christians because they go to church every Sunday ,there seems to have developed different levels of Christian belief which in itself seems to be a contradiction

Gary L 21-04-2014 11:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35690862)
No to all of that. Any person can be Christian, it's not dependant on their colour. Also do not judge others.

I can't debate with you Stephen.
you have said No to all that. when you contradict yourself in the same sentence.

I'm not judging. I'm debating.

Stephen 21-04-2014 11:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary L (Post 35690875)
It's not about lying. saying you are when you know you're not.
it's about are you saying you are, but you don't really know. or you might not actually care?

---------- Post added at 11:05 ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 ----------

Why have you included the word true in the statement?
May be, Hugh.
someone who claims to be a Christian. may not be really.
not as you have put it. all real Christians are not really Christians.

---------- Post added at 11:06 ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 ----------

Finally. someone who sees it how it is.
me and you could debate all day :)

Well that is a lie then. Saying you are but you aren't.

Also if you don't know if you are then you are clearly not one.

Gary L 21-04-2014 11:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35690884)
Well that is a lie then. Saying you are but you aren't.

Also if you don't know if you are then you are clearly not one.

So you may have put down that you are. but you're not.

Thanks, Stephen.

Maggy 21-04-2014 11:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35690852)
My sister attends church on a regular basis and sees herself very much as a strong Christian who works for The Salvation Army wherever l don't go to church or don't go out of my way to say l am a Christian as l don't like to force it on others.

Saying you are Christian is hardly forcing it on others.:erm: You are just stating a fact.

---------- Post added at 11:33 ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Angry (Post 35690880)
My head hurts already.

:hugs:

Join the club..and it will all end in tantrums and tears before bedtime..;)

Chris 21-04-2014 11:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary L (Post 35690881)
Is this Christianity in it's "true sense" then?

The term "Christian" was first coined in a town called Antioch, within a fairly short time after Jesus death, resurrection and ascension, and it was intended as an insult to describe the behaviour and beliefs of Jesus' followers. It means "little Christ" and it was aimed at people who believed and followed Jesus' teaching, met together regularly to worship, break bread in each other's homes and to support each other in spreading the Christian message.

That is the definition of "Christian" in the Bible and I know of no better place to look if you want to know the truth about Christianity.

Russ 21-04-2014 11:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary L (Post 35690883)
I'm not judging. I'm debating.

You seem more interested in deciding for everyone what "being a Christian" is.

tizmeinnit 21-04-2014 11:51

Not many people who say they are Christian live their lives by his teachings.

Chris 21-04-2014 11:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by tizmeinnit (Post 35690896)
Not many people who say they are Christian live their lives by his teachings.

Very true, perhaps a more complete definition would include the phrase "try to". In following Jesus' teachings, of course, Christians also know they have forgiveness when they get it wrong.

Gary L 21-04-2014 11:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ (Post 35690895)
You seem more interested in deciding for everyone what "being a Christian" is.

So shall I just say No to the question of "Is Britain a Christian country?"

Or shall I just say Yes to the question of "Is Britain a Christian country?"

I'll say whichever one that suits you. I'm not fussed.

tizmeinnit 21-04-2014 11:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35690897)
Very true, perhaps a more complete definition would include the phrase "try to". In following Jesus' teachings, of course, Christians also know they have forgiveness when they get it wrong.

Most do not even try to. Just look at the state of morality in this country for a start.

I stopped attending the meetings because I could not live the life expected of me to be what I think of as a "true Christian" if this country was truly Christian then sex outside of marriage would be frowned upon there would be no abortion there would be more discipline in the homes and in schools there would be respect. In my view there is none of that so I personally do not see this country as Christian in the slightest