Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Freesat & Freeview (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=109)
-   -   One or two new channels coming to Freesat. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33701557)

RichardCoulter 16-07-2019 21:42

Re: One or two new channels coming to Freesat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36002772)
The SD, as you said, has been removed from Sky. I've not looked to see if FreeSat is swapping or replacing. And we'll soon see whether they keep it running off-guide or downscale the HD version for Freeview.

Freesports SD is still broadcasting on 11426 V 27500 5/6, even though it left Freesat & Sky yesterday.

I can't see them going to the expense of continuing this for SD only satellite boxes and/or Freeview though and expect it to eventually be removed and the HD feed downscaled for any SD feeds required.

cheekyangus 16-07-2019 22:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36002942)
Freesports SD is still broadcasting on 11426 V 27500 5/6, even though it left Freesat & Sky yesterday.

I can't see them going to the expense of continuing this for SD only satellite boxes and/or Freeview though and expect it to eventually be removed and the HD feed downscaled for any SD feeds required.

Quite. Will all depend on which is the cheapest way to distribute to Freeview for them.

Whether they get one of those recently vacated Freeview slots may indirectly play a part. If they don't get on a more permanent multiplex soon they may be gone from that platform when the two temporary multiplexes get switched off, I believe it could happen as early as 2021/2. They won't want to outlay money for a short term endeavour if they don't get long term space.

The only broadcaster that has confirmed wider Freeview coverage recently is, of course, Together TV. Given Smithsonian are running TV ads at the moment on other channels and in newspapers/magazines I suspect they have got one too. That leaves one left.

Funny how one platform can indirectly affect another. :)

RichardCoulter 17-07-2019 10:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36002949)
Quite. Will all depend on which is the cheapest way to distribute to Freeview for them.

Whether they get one of those recently vacated Freeview slots may indirectly play a part. If they don't get on a more permanent multiplex soon they may be gone from that platform when the two temporary multiplexes get switched off, I believe it could happen as early as 2021/2. They won't want to outlay money for a short term endeavour if they don't get long term space.

The only broadcaster that has confirmed wider Freeview coverage recently is, of course, Together TV. Given Smithsonian are running TV ads at the moment on other channels and in newspapers/magazines I suspect they have got one too. That leaves one left.

Funny how one platform can indirectly affect another. :)

It is odd, but it's so often the case that what happens on one platform affects another. Didn't know Smithsonian had got a permanent Freeview slot :)

cheekyangus 17-07-2019 14:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36003007)
It is odd, but it's so often the case that what happens on one platform affects another. Didn't know Smithsonian had got a permanent Freeview slot :)

I didn't say Smithsonian had, sorry if it read that way. I merely guessed it had based on the promo ads I've seen a lot on TV recently and print ads in magazines and newspapers.

The interesting thing with all these TV and newspaper adverts is that there were no channel numbers in any of them, just platform logos.

My logic was that if they are greatly upping their marketing they must have a reason.

I also think they might have got the True Crime channel numbers from Sony (on certain platforms, not all) by buying the channel. You can't trade numbers on Freeview, you need to own the channels to swap numbers and the Freeview status page said True Crime was temporarily away (like Keep It Country/Spotlight), as opposed to closed. And on Sky, Smithsonian were one of the few obvious big (relatively speaking budget wise) channels at that end of Sky's EPG that would want TC's number. Two birds one stone to coin the phrase.

So sorry if you read it that way, I'm just reading between the lines.

RichardCoulter 18-07-2019 22:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36003039)
I didn't say Smithsonian had, sorry if it read that way. I merely guessed it had based on the promo ads I've seen a lot on TV recently and print ads in magazines and newspapers.

The interesting thing with all these TV and newspaper adverts is that there were no channel numbers in any of them, just platform logos.

My logic was that if they are greatly upping their marketing they must have a reason.

I also think they might have got the True Crime channel numbers from Sony (on certain platforms, not all) by buying the channel. You can't trade numbers on Freeview, you need to own the channels to swap numbers and the Freeview status page said True Crime was temporarily away (like Keep It Country/Spotlight), as opposed to closed. And on Sky, Smithsonian were one of the few obvious big (relatively speaking budget wise) channels at that end of Sky's EPG that would want TC's number. Two birds one stone to coin the phrase.

So sorry if you read it that way, I'm just reading between the lines.

I do hope that Smithsonian get a permanent slot as they are one of the better quality Freeview channels.

Travel XP is now testing on satellite with a testcard, but it's also believed that there is another channel testing called Food XP. A search reveals that this is an Italian food channel, so maybe they are bringing this to the UK??

No confirmation yet if either will be on Freesat, but i'm as sure as I can be that they'll be FTA, so could be manually tuned in if need be.

cheekyangus 19-07-2019 00:19

I agree about Smithsonian Channel, I watched a surprising amount of it.

I think Together TV gets its wider coverage on Freeview from 22nd so maybe the other two slots will launch then, whoever has obtained them, or at least we'll find out who had them.

This in turn might clear up some Satellite moves. The Discovery channel moves on Sky just announced included a promotion of Travel Channel up the EPG again, so maybe it will return to Freesat? (Though obviously it is still manually tuneable currently.)

cheekyangus 19-07-2019 18:54

Richard, the TravelXP/FoodXP pair have been confirmed on Sky. Wonder if they'll come to FreeSat. The tuning details are in the RXTVlog article, so like you say there'll likely be a DIY option, assuming it's FTA.
https://www.rxtvlog.com/2019/07/trav...gside-new.html

Can't say I'd heard of FoodXP until you mentioned it.

RichardCoulter 19-07-2019 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36003385)
Richard, the TravelXP/FoodXP pair have been confirmed on Sky. Wonder if they'll come to FreeSat. The tuning details are in the RXTVlog article, so like you say there'll likely be a DIY option, assuming it's FTA.
https://www.rxtvlog.com/2019/07/trav...gside-new.html

Can't say I'd heard of FoodXP until you mentioned it.

Thanks for the link, this confirms that the food channel is actually Asian and not Italian.

RichardCoulter 29-07-2019 13:03

Retro Movies is gearing up for a launch on Freesat.

RichardCoulter 05-08-2019 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36004482)

Added just now on channel 307.

nashville 05-08-2019 19:19

Thanks Richard

OLD BOY 05-08-2019 19:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36004482)

https://www.rapidtvnews.com/20190805...#axzz5vko7cdvi

RichardCoulter 06-08-2019 16:33

If anyone here has a 4K/UHD TV, you should be able to test it out with the UHD test channel.

To access it, press 998 on your remote control (998 doesn't exist on the EPG).

Chris 06-08-2019 20:48

I’ll give that a try when I get home, but AFAIK you would need a Freesat box capable of delivering 4K via its HDMI output in order to actually see the channel in 4K. I don’t know whether there are any Freesat branded boxes on the market that boast 4K capability. I know my Humax doesn’t (1080i is the limit).

RichardCoulter 07-08-2019 15:33

I think that Humax do a 4K box and some Freesat integrated TV's are 4K too.

It will be interesting to find out what is displayed on a non 4K set. I imagine the test channel will be shown, but only in HD.