Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797] (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33628733)

CaptJamieHunter 18-04-2008 11:41

Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:

Originally Posted by dav (Post 34531599)
Could I politely ask that members take discussions about strange browser behaviour to another thread?

I'm finding it difficult to follow this thread now two subjects are being discussed.
Thanks.

Seconded

Heed 18-04-2008 11:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dephormation (Post 34531607)
What are your DNS servers set to?

ipconfig /all ?

Is the DNS server the same as Phorm.com?

The standard VM DNS servers are shown:

Roadrunner69:

Except for the fact that as soon as I unblock phorm.com all functions normally. I doubt the server is going up and down at the exact moments I block/unblock phorm.com.

popper 18-04-2008 11:46

open one and point them to it to make life easyer, and they can jump beteen as required, but we will need to know this stuff at some point so dont stop posting this important knowhow.

Dephormation 18-04-2008 11:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heed (Post 34531339)
Hmm, I can't even get to my modem configuration page (192.168.100.1) with those blocks.

Not just http, but ftp as well.

Heed - I'd take this to a new thread as requested.

If you can't even get to your local router status page then its unlikely to be a Phorm/DNS issue... Its more likely a misconfiguration of the firewall, isn't it? (correct me if I'm wrong).

Heed 18-04-2008 11:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dephormation (Post 34531616)
Heed - I'd take this to a new thread as requested.

If you can't even get to your local router status page then its unlikely to be a Phorm/DNS issue... Its more likely a misconfiguration of the firewall, isn't it? (correct me if I'm wrong).

I don't know. As I've said, I had those blocks up for a week or more. Just last night I started to see this behaviour.

New thread here:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12...phorm-com.html

Portly_Giraffe 18-04-2008 12:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by popper (Post 34531590)
... what are these 10 points as an overview?(

I will send you a private message covering this. if any other poster wants the list, please send me a message.

OF1975 18-04-2008 12:10

Just one important point to clarify Portly_Giraffe regarding point 3:

3. The Home Office (outside of its immigration functions) is not an investigatory body. It is the role of the police to investigate allegations of unlawful interception.

While that may be true the Home Office does have an obligation to ensure that the police appropriately investigate crimes that are reported to them. The fact that the police have been obstructive when attempts have been made to report to them, that very clearly, imho, comes under the jurisdiction of the Home Office. They need to stop passing the buck and playing pass the parcel and get on with dealing with it.

Florence 18-04-2008 12:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by OF1975 (Post 34531640)
Just one important point to clarify Portly_Giraffe regarding point 3:

3. The Home Office (outside of its immigration functions) is not an investigatory body. It is the role of the police to investigate allegations of unlawful interception.

While that may be true the Home Office does have an obligation to ensure that the police appropriately investigate crimes that are reported to them. The fact that the police have been obstructive when attempts have been made to report to them, that very clearly, imho, comes under the jurisdiction of the Home Office. They need to stop passing the buck and playing pass the parcel and get on with dealing with it.

I have to agree with you on this one, I am sure if we keep pressing the button they will get the message. Doubt any ISP will start Phorm while there is still so much publicuty on so we have to keep the pressure up can't sit back yet and relax.

---------- Post added at 12:17 ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 ----------

I am in Wales till Sunday so please try to keep this thread on track and god help me trying to catch up on Sunday..

OF1975 18-04-2008 12:20

I forgot to also says thank you to you (Portly_Giraffe and Florence) for the work you have done and time spent discussing these issues with Simon Watkins. Keep on fighting :)

Ravenheart 18-04-2008 12:23

There's been some buys on Phorm! :O

HERE

kt88man 18-04-2008 12:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravenheart (Post 34531660)
There's been some buys on Phorm! :O

HERE

Noticed that 50k share buy a little while ago... someone thinks they are worth a punt... unless there's a bit of shoring going on... phorm are ethical though - aren't they :D

ceedee 18-04-2008 12:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by OF1975 (Post 34531640)
The fact that the police have been obstructive when attempts have been made to report to them, that very clearly, imho, comes under the jurisdiction of the Home Office.

Agreed.
But Simon Watkin and Andrew Knight are effectively pen-pushers offering advice to other, more directly active, departments with the Home Office.
All PG+F are trying to do is agree a common understanding of the framework of how RIPA operates.
I'd recommend leaving them to see how far they can quietly progress the discussion.
There's always the chance that Simon could revise his position and effectively 'force' the police to accept responsibility!

Good work, Portly_Giraffe and Florence. Thank you for your efforts.
:tu:

OF1975 18-04-2008 12:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Florence (Post 34531646)
I have to agree with you on this one, I am sure if we keep pressing the button they will get the message. Doubt any ISP will start Phorm while there is still so much publicuty on so we have to keep the pressure up can't sit back yet and relax.

---------- Post added at 12:17 ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 ----------

I am in Wales till Sunday so please try to keep this thread on track and god help me trying to catch up on Sunday..

Totally agree with keeping the pressure on. This afternoon I intend to respond to the response I got from one of my MEPs thanking her for her correspondence and to ask her to thank her colleague Don Foster (Lib-Dem spokesperson for culture, media and sport) for his time and involvement in the issue. [ If you remember he is the MP who has written to the BT chairman asking him to account for the BT secret trials. ]

Vis-a-vis the having to catch up with the thread on Sunday you made me really laugh out loud hard. I remember last week when my arthritis in my spine and neck was really playing up and I had a major bout of headaches. I had a few days away from the thread and came back to find I had about 700 posts to read that I had missed. You have been warned :D

thebarron 18-04-2008 12:30

This site show it as a sell, so not sure which direction its going!

http://www.lse.co.uk/ShareTrades.asp...re=phorm_reg_s

OF1975 18-04-2008 12:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceedee (Post 34531666)
Agreed.
But Simon Watkin and Andrew Knight are effectively pen-pushers offering advice to other, more directly active, departments with the Home Office.
All PG+F are trying to do is agree a common understanding of the framework of how RIPA operates.
I'd recommend leaving them to see how far they can quietly progress the discussion.
There's always the chance that Simon could revise his position and effectively 'force' the police to accept responsibility!

Good work, Portly_Giraffe and Florence. Thank you for your efforts.
:tu:

Agreed. I believe what Portly_Giraffe and Florence are doing are doing is valuable and I hope that with time and their considerable effort that they may be able to get Simon to revise his position as you say. Whatever happens it appears they are making constructive headway and that certainly is to be welcomed :)

---------- Post added at 12:37 ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebarron (Post 34531668)
This site show it as a sell, so not sure which direction its going!

http://www.lse.co.uk/ShareTrades.asp...re=phorm_reg_s

If that information is accurate then it shows sales of Phorm shares today totalling about 1million GBP so far today so that is encouraging.