Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797] (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33628733)

CaptJamieHunter 17-04-2008 14:14

Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasanonic (Post 34530850)
Was there some reason not to just put them on youtube?

I'll download them now and get on with it if you like ( with full credit and links )

They're all over 10 minutes long which I understand is the limit on YouTube. To avoid even the remotest chance of accusations of editing in any way I don't want them split. Apologies if this sounds dodgy but I want the videos seen full, unedited and raw.

I've e-mailed Chris Williams at The Register. LiveLeak seem happy to carry footage of Saddam's hanging but not this. Seems a bit odd, that.

popper 17-04-2008 14:14

:welcome: Chroma very good post, i also like your "battery farming of humans" reference, nice and punchy, yet another good soundbite line for Click! perhaps ;)

Pasanonic 17-04-2008 14:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptJamieHunter (Post 34530845)
It seems that LiveLeak.com doesn't like the videos. I've asked for an explanation of why they have been rejected as the footage is of a public meeting at which people were invited to bring cameras.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptJamieHunter (Post 34530854)
They're all over 10 minutes long which I understand is the limit on YouTube. To avoid even the remotest chance of accusations of editing in any way I don't want them split. Apologies if this sounds dodgy but I want the videos seen full, unedited and raw.

I've e-mailed Chris Williams at The Register. LiveLeak seem happy to carry footage of Saddam's hanging but not this. Seems a bit odd, that.

Ah I see. I shall see what can be done. ( my friend has a file host site, i'm not sure if he does embedded stuff though )

regarding Liveleak: I know that Phorm are due to announce a partnership with a large 'social networking' site but I'm not sure it has anything to do with Liveleak. They may of course be not wanting to upset future partnerships. I suspect Facebook are waiting for Phorm to get the greenlight given their tie-in with 80/20.

Bonglet 17-04-2008 14:20

Jaqui smiths live webchat is now on please go post i already have :).

http://www.number10.gov.uk/output/Page15259.asp

popper 17-04-2008 14:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptJamieHunter (Post 34530854)

well...... theres always the chance you might get VM to host them on the internal FTP servers ROTFL.

now that would be fun if you can find the tw/VM admins that look after the VM/tw freeware linux server space and get permission to host them there..... anyone know who that is, any CF VM employee member reading that can arrange that! :erm:

CJ, im reading the faq and it says in part this
http://www.liveleak.com/faq
"
Rejected media:
LiveLeak.com reserves the right to reject media for public viewing at the staff members' discretion.

We have set high standards with our staff when it comes to impartiality.

If you think you have had media unfairly rejected, we ask that you use the contact form and we will investigate your claim.

Rejected media is not deleted.

You can still share the links and have it viewable to the outside world.

It merely means that your media was not deemed suitable for the public areas of the site.

There are several reasons for this, your post could be a recent repost or material which cannot (or should not) be shown publicly.

We reserve the right to reject non-newsworthy graphic media or any media glorifying violence or death. "

so is it viewable now?

CaptJamieHunter 17-04-2008 14:37

I've spent all morning working with these videos and stuff. Liveleak have really annoyed me. I'm in danger of quoting Bill Hicks again...

Anyway, crank up Whole Lotta Love 'cos here's the CaptainJamie video countdown... Yeah man, play that air guitar...

Coming in at number 5 is Dr Richard Clayton's Q&A session where the good Doctor adds meat to the bones of cookies and redirection - 47 downloads

Sliding in at number 4 is Kent Ertegrul's presentation where Krafty Kent keeps saying "That's an interesting question" - 80 downloads

First wicket down at number 3 is the good Doctor again with his Problems With Phorm presentation - 88 downloads

You might be asking "Who does Number Two work for?"** Well, you'll see it's Simon Davies with his introduction to Tuesday's public meeting - 114 downloads.

Holding top spot with more views than anyone else is our very own Alexander Hanff with his fine speech on social, legal and historical context - 142 downloads

**Sorry, I couldn't resist making this joke. The toilet scene in Austin Powers makes me cry with laughter. Apologies for any offence caused, this countdown is offered in jest.

---------- Post added at 14:37 ---------- Previous post was at 14:35 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by popper (Post 34530862)
so is it viewable now?

No. All five videos have been deleted.

Ravenheart 17-04-2008 14:39

I've just emailed all 3 leaders of the 3 main political parties, I'll be interested to read their replies.

bigbadcol 17-04-2008 14:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptJamieHunter (Post 34530769)
My analysis and links to the footage are here. The monthly bandwidth is taking a real hammering - they've only been up 12 hours and already it's hitting 50 per cent! A backup account is currently being prepared :)

I use Google video, for all the video I host for our charity web site.

Unlimited bandwidth. and almost unlimited file size and length. My longest video is 1 hour 30 mins

The advantage of Google video would be that if enough people viewed, they would end up in the top 100 most viewed and get a much bigger audiance

Plug for my website. sorry a bit off topic.

I founded and run a small international charity called Costellokids. My daughter Helaina was the 23rd person diagnosed in the world with Costello Syndrome, and I am proud to say that last year she was one of the UK's Children of Courage winners. ;)

Visit our website at

http://costellokids.com

As well as founding and runing the charity I am also the webmaster of Costellokids.

Without Google we would be in a bandwith mess, I host 34 videos, and use a lot of bandwidth each month.

--------------------------
....See PHORMPRTEAM ... google provide a service to the user. And I hve no problem sharing my searches in exchange for a free service.

OF1975 17-04-2008 14:57

I just received this response to my letter to one of my MEPs almost a month ago. As I forgot in that initial letter to ask permission/inform them that I would publish their response I am not going to name them

Dear ** *******,

Thank you for bringing this matter to my attention.

I very much share in your concerns over the ability of companies to monitor
people's online behaviour for marketing purposes, given the possibility that
this monitoring could lead to the misuse of personal information.

My colleague in Westminster, Don Foster, who is the Liberal Democrat
spokesperson for culture, media and sport, recently wrote to the Chairman of
BT asking him to account for the company's secret piloting of the "Phorm"
system last summer. BT has now said that its trial was a purely technical
one and that no personal information was processed, stored or disclosed.

As far as I'm aware, EU regulation states that subscribers must be given
full explanation about how information relating to their online activities
will be used before they themselves consent to it being used by third
parties. Since I received your email, the UK Information Commissioner has
clarified this to an extent, ruling that internet users must opt-in to
"Phorm" rather than opt-out, which is encouraging - especially as far as
less experienced internet users are concerned.
http://news.bbc.co.uk:80/1/hi/technology/7339263.stm

But I realise that there are still many questions surrounding exactly how
this opt-in system will work in practice. At a public hearing in January the
European Parliament's Civil Liberties Committee came to general agreement
that IP addresses constitute personal data, and, as such, any threat to
their security must be treated with the utmost seriousness. I hope that the
Information Commissioner acts quickly to further clarify the situation.

Thanks again for contacting me about this important matter.

Yours sincerely,

Although the response took almost a month to come back overall I am pleased. Gotta dash. Be back later.

CaptJamieHunter 17-04-2008 14:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbadcol (Post 34530886)
I use Google video, for all the video I host for our charity web site.

Unlimited bandwidth. and almost unlimited file size and length.

The advantage of Google video would be that if enough people viewed, they would end up in the top 100 most viewed and get a much bigger audiance

Plug for my website. sorry a bit off topic.

I founded and run a small international charity called Costellokids. My daughter Helaina was the 23rd person diagnosed in the world with Costello Syndrome, and I am proud to say that last year she was one of the UK's Children of Courage winners. ;)

Visit our website at

http://costellokids.com

As well as founding and runing teh charity I am also the webmaster of Costellokids.

Without Google we would be in a bandwith mess, I host 34 videos, and use a lot of bandwidth each month.

--------------------------
....See PHORMPRTEAM ... google provide a service to the user. And I hve no problem sharing my searches in exchange for a free service.

Thanks for the tip. I'll see what Chris Williams advises before I do anything further on the video stuff. Got a few things to do round the hangar here.

popper 17-04-2008 15:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonglet (Post 34530859)
Jaqui smiths live webchat is now on please go post i already have :).

http://www.number10.gov.uk/output/Page15259.asp

LOL it got posted to ElREg and that threads gone real quiet, they must all be submiting questions with jaqui, no phorm questions got through yet thought ;(

---------- Post added at 15:14 ---------- Previous post was at 15:01 ----------

hehe, she got hammered there id bet, they can see all the questions even if they didnt talk about them.

"Jacqui says: Thank you for all the questions - there's been a good range of issues and I've enjoyed the chance to hear what's on your minds. I've got to go now, but hope to be able to do this again soon.
"
ROTFL PHORM

i wonder if "Judicial Review" got mentioned as per the reg thread !

Chroma 17-04-2008 15:19

@ OF1975

Its been well over a few months now, i started mailing back in mid february and have still to recieve any kind of response from anyone. I may just be requesting responses from the wrong people i guess.
Glad to hear that you have had some success however.

Could you perhaps send him a response pointing to the AOL Data Scandal of August 2006? (wiki or The Light Blue Touchpaper article) and stress strongly that IP addresses whilst relevent and a major leap in European Parliamentary discussions, is not the be all and end all of personal privacy.

Its easy to identify individuals without obtaining their respective IP addresses as AOL rapidly and somewhat embarrasingly discovered.

Florence 17-04-2008 15:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chroma (Post 34530917)
@ OF1975

Its been well over a few months now, i started mailing back in mid february and have still to recieve any kind of response from anyone. I may just be requesting responses from the wrong people i guess.
Glad to hear that you have had some success however.

Could you perhaps send him a response pointing to the AOL Data Scandal of August 2006? (wiki or The Light Blue Touchpaper article) and stress strongly that IP addresses whilst relevent and a major leap in European Parliamentary discussions, is not the be all and end all of personal privacy.

Its easy to identify individuals without obtaining their respective IP addresses as AOL rapidly and somewhat embarrasingly discovered.

Yes and I have tried to get that message over to Simon Watkin but for some reasons he just doesn't seem to get the message from his last reply to me and another member of this forum.

I will re-read his email over the week end while in Wales and decide where next..

In the upcoming elections labour will not get my vote.

popper 17-04-2008 15:55

given the information on this thread and the reg etc we can do far better than that id hope, the AOL and TLBTPA are old news now and given the latest florence and other responses here.

the PIA, alexanders paper and all the rest, it is we and chris who are the key supplyers of current information and we should make sure everyone gets it in good time and in full.

perhaps a bullet points text should be made, and added to as new information appears, if anyone is up for that task given the 255 pages of posts so far , its a big ask, but a werthy project to keep it all straight if its taken on...

Dephormation 17-04-2008 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chroma (Post 34530917)
@ OF1975

This assertion by Phorm that IP addresses are some how personal, and Phorms UID is some how not... That bit always makes my teeth grind.

The 'number' cookie is called 'UID' by name (Phorms choice of name).

A User ID.

An identifier for a user. A unique identifier for a specific user.

An ip address is more anonymous. A third party couldn't know who it was associated with.

On the other hand, if I can get your UID (and currently it looks trivial to do so using either Javascript or leaks on non standard/https requests)... I have identified you regardless of your IP address.