Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019) (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707215)

cheekyangus 20-02-2019 14:58

Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

BBC Scotland Channel has been added here on 108. Currently showing the preview transmission with news headlines and weather along the bottom.

I only noticed it after I saw the info bar tile (which readers of my other thread will know didn't happen for the other BBC changes before they happen, due to a localised fault).

Maybe others can confirm if it's started on 162 in non-Scottish VM areas already.

BenMcr 20-02-2019 15:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 35983881)
Maybe others can confirm if it's started on 162 in non-Scottish VM areas already.

Yes. Showing up here

RobboEdin 20-02-2019 19:54

Just changed my series links for Still Game and Burnistoun to catch the new series on the new channel.

nomadking 20-02-2019 20:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 35983881)
BBC Scotland Channel has been added here on 108. Currently showing the preview transmission with news headlines and weather along the bottom.

I only noticed it after I saw the info bar tile (which readers of my other thread will know didn't happen for the other BBC changes before they happen, due to a localised fault).

Why add a pointless HD channel?

Raider999 20-02-2019 20:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozsat (Post 35983786)
OK - I was thinking of the extra BBC sport streams which are often there.

It is usually only Sky Sports that offer this on their own boxes.

On BT Sports - every extra stream is in the BT EPG so all BT Sport red button options can be record on there.

That is my point - Virgin is the poor relation in this respect.

Derekb108 20-02-2019 21:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 35983953)
Why add a pointless HD channel?

It isn't pointless it's a new Scottish channel!

Gunslinger 24-02-2019 23:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris James (Post 35983452)
With the exception of regional opt-outs, is there any reason why Virgin cannot discontinue all the SD channels where there are HD alternatives? Seems like BBC4 and BBC News are following BBC2 in dropping the SD channel - Gold was the first to do it. That would free up a load of space!

Why? Getting rid of SD variants is a pain for people who record lots of stuff, as it reduces available disc space by factor of 4. Particularly an issue for BBC as OFCOM restrict the length of time shows can be kept On Demand, making it difficult to watch series like Trapped as a box set.
By all means swop over the channel numbers so HD is the default, but keep the SD option as well. If space is really an issue, get rid of some of the dross.
Incidentally, there is still a BBC2 SD option available under 'BBC2 England' in the 800's series. Unfortunately not the case for BBC4.

Derekb108 25-02-2019 00:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunslinger (Post 35984355)
Why? Getting rid of SD variants is a pain for people who record lots of stuff, as it reduces available disc space by factor of 4. Particularly an issue for BBC as OFCOM restrict the length of time shows can be kept On Demand, making it difficult to watch series like Trapped as a box set.
By all means swop over the channel numbers so HD is the default, but keep the SD option as well. If space is really an issue, get rid of some of the dross.
Incidentally, there is still a BBC2 SD option available under 'BBC2 England' in the 800's series. Unfortunately not the case for BBC4.

The reason they dropping the HD channels, because there's only tivo boxes out there now, and even if there using scart tivo box is able to reduce the quality now..

OLD BOY 25-02-2019 07:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derekb108 (Post 35984357)
The reason they dropping the HD channels, because there's only tivo boxes out there now, and even if there using scart tivo box is able to reduce the quality now..

As Gunslinger says, HD takes up more recording space. That is the issue, really.

BenMcr 25-02-2019 09:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35984366)
As Gunslinger says, HD takes up more recording space. That is the issue, really.

Although that's true, the removal of the MPEG 2 boxes (both SD and HD) allowed for all channels to be moved to MPEG4. Both HD and SD recordings take up less space than they did a year or so ago

So HD recordings are closer in space to the MPEG2 SD recordings.

Gunslinger 25-02-2019 09:39

The possible solution to that is of course to adopt 'cloud' storage of saved shows, essentially a personalised streaming service where you keep access to shows you want to watch at a later time - like the 'watch lists' you get on Amazon and Now TV. However I suspect rights issues plus arbitrary rules on BBC on demand access would probably intervene.
Not to mention the one big reason why IPTV will not remove the need for linear TV channels and local storage anytime soon - the fact that it is not 99.999% reliable, and subject to variable factors ranging from server capacity right through to the quality of the local WiFi network. Over the past 15 years or so I am sure we have all experienced broadband issues ranging from a few minutes to several days. During that time, the basic linear cable TV service has remained rock solid, albeit without some of the interactive bells and whistles.

nomadking 25-02-2019 09:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derekb108 (Post 35983972)
It isn't pointless it's a new Scottish channel!

The programmes are mostly just BBC2 ones. Why should it be a UK wide one?

Quote:

The World Stone Skimming Championship is held every year on the tiny Scottish island of Easdale in an old slate-mining quarry. In this documentary, two obsessed skimmers show what it takes to become the world's best.

denphone 25-02-2019 09:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35984366)

l record some things in HD but it soaks up the recording space rather too quickly for my liking so for some of my series recordings l have to record in SD still but with BBC 4 now being just a HD channel and several other channels now just switching to the HD variant whilst getting rid of the SD variant it is soaking up the recording space much quicker.

Rillington 25-02-2019 17:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunslinger (Post 35984355)

The ratio is actually 1 in 5 - ie one hour of HD recording takes up the equivalent space of 5 hours of SD. Therefore, recording a one-hour programme on BBC4 on the VM Tivo box now takes up more than 2% of the available disc space.

BenMcr 25-02-2019 17:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rillington (Post 35984412)
The ratio is actually 1 in 5 - ie one hour of HD recording takes up the equivalent space of 5 hours of SD. Therefore, recording a one-hour programme on BBC4 on the VM Tivo box now takes up more than 2% of the available disc space.

That's not the case - as has been discussed over on the Community Forum when you made the same point there:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5...938986#M175700
Quote:

did a little test with Sky Sports News recording same programme for 36 minutes

SD 0.95GB

HD 1.84GB

So about twice the space used for HD recordings.
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5...939090#M175712

Quote:

I did a similar test with ITV, C4 & C5 earlier too. Roughly speaking - as you say - about twice the size.