Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   TiVo (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33670455)

Digital Fanatic 26-02-2011 17:08

Re: TiVo

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lone Star (Post 35182683)
I don't think it's terrible at all, in fact I think a whole lot of it is rather good and I'm tempted........but there seems to have been a little too much effort expended in removing some of the functionality apparently available in TIVO in the US, and rather too little in including some of the good things we already have in V+.

I may decide to get the best of both worlds by retaining my V+ as a second box, but it would have been much easier to convince my wife of the benefits if the features she uses, such as background DVD transfer and reminders, had been there from the start.

There's two things pulling in different directions.

1. Get VM Tivo released as quickly as possible - customers want this.

2. Get everything added that customers want.

There has to be a compromise here, so some things will be added later in the year.

If anyone is a Doubting Thomas..... then you should wait if they are worried :)

Strangerstill 26-02-2011 17:19

Maybe the reminders might come with the third tuner activation.

Andy C 26-02-2011 17:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lone Star (Post 35182672)
So if I've been following this thread correctly, the current list of missing features which may be provided at some point in the future is:

1. 3rd Tuner
2. Reminders
3. Copy to DVD in background
4. TIVO Desktop Plus
5. Indicator when a recording has been watched
6. Realtime dynamic EPG
7. Ethernet connection activation
8. USB connection activation

There's nothing there worth holding back a full launch other than the third tuner though, and that will be the first to come and it's close. The Ethernet port will be active (well it already is, people have been able to ping the TiVo from another PC on the network) once multiroom and content sharing is ready. One thing at a time though...

The VM TiVo already has features requested by VM going beyond the US software which is why development may seem slow. No other TiVo has 3 tuners for instance so that's all code written from scratch.

One feature people seem to have missed which I think is great is the fact all tuners keep a buffer. You can pop up the info screen and see what the other tuner is "watching". If the show sounds interesting you press OK to change to that tuner and you can rewind or hit record and get the entire show. Now imagine 3 tuners all keeping a buffer of the channel they are tuned to... can any other PVR do this? I think not.

A.

fixerman 26-02-2011 18:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy C (Post 35182699)
One feature people seem to have missed which I think is great is the fact all tuners keep a buffer. You can pop up the info screen and see what the other tuner is "watching". If the show sounds interesting you press OK to change to that tuner and you can rewind or hit record and get the entire show. Now imagine 3 tuners all keeping a buffer of the channel they are tuned to... can any other PVR do this? I think not.

A.

That is another new one that I have missed. Can that be verified, that all tuners carry their individual buffer? DF or Stephen are you in a position to verify please?

BenJSmyth 26-02-2011 18:25

I would be able to verify that for you but I'm not sure where to look on my Tivo box, there are just so many features and options :)

mersey70 26-02-2011 18:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35182678)
You are thinking of NTL and Telewest. Generally, in my experience, since they merged and licenced the name "Virgin Media", they have delivered on any promises made.

So what channel number is Sky Arts HD on then he he! ;)

Andy C 26-02-2011 18:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by fixerman (Post 35182733)
That is another new one that I have missed. Can that be verified, that all tuners carry their individual buffer? DF or Stephen are you in a position to verify please?

I have the VM TiVo and it already does it on the two tuners we have now. Press info on a channel, go down to the bottom pane and press OK to switch tuner (it tells you what channel and show it's tuned to), you'll see it's kept a buffer. No reason to think it would be different with three ;)

A.

fixerman 26-02-2011 18:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy C (Post 35182750)
I have the VM TiVo and it already does it on the two tuners we have now. Press info on a channel, go down to the bottom pane and press OK to switch tuner, you'll see it's kept a buffer. No reason to think it would be different with three ;)

A.

I must try that!...............Oh! Bother, I don't actually have a TiVo. :mad:

Hugh 26-02-2011 19:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by mersey70 (Post 35182743)
[/B]

So what channel number is Sky Arts HD on then he he! ;)

You seem to be forgetting there is another party involved in those negotiations.....;)

denphone 26-02-2011 19:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35182678)
You are thinking of NTL and Telewest. Generally, in my experience, since they merged and licenced the name "Virgin Media", they have delivered on any promises made.

They might have delivered on some of their promises but they have took time doing it and we are still waiting for quite a bit to be delivered at the present time, roll on the new financial year as this seems to be a time when things happen.

Digital Fanatic 26-02-2011 19:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by fixerman (Post 35182733)

Yes, this is true.

mersey70 26-02-2011 20:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35182782)
You seem to be forgetting there is another party involved in those negotiations.....;)

Indeed, however Virgin Media themselves have already announced Sky Arts HD as 'coming soon' in their OWN press release over 7 months ago!!!!:-

http://pressoffice.virginmedia.com/p...279&highlight=

gaz2810i 26-02-2011 20:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy C (Post 35182643)
Pre-reg customers are still being called for installations. It's still February, so there's still plenty of time before the official launch, if indeed it does get launched in April, they might hold it back until all existing customers have had the opportunity to get their hands on one.

A.

Virgin tell me, every-time I call, that they are not installing anyone who is not either an employee, an S1 owner or a lottery/raffle ticket winner. seeing as no one to discuss this in my previous thread I have to assume Virgin are telling the truth, in which case you are wrong with this statement.

Personally, this is the problem, officially you're wrong unofficially you're right and for that Reason Virgin, it seems are upsetting some people.

TonyHoyle 26-02-2011 21:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenJSmyth (Post 35182734)
I would be able to verify that for you but I'm not sure where to look on my Tivo box, there are just so many features and options :)

It's on the info panel.. not the most intuitive place, but you can see what both tuners are doing from there.

mattboothers 27-02-2011 02:03

Speaking of the raffle draw that we entered. If we dont get picked are we just left in darkness by virgin Media and wont know anything at all?