Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Television (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   UK Timeline : Doctor Who : Season 6 (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33672247)

Paul 26-12-2010 00:30

Re: Doctor Who : Season 6

The christmas episode was ok, but nothing special IMO.

cimt 26-12-2010 02:10

They're never actually fantastic though, are they? Did anyone watch the trailer? Can't wait for the new series to start.

Lord Nikon 26-12-2010 04:22

Unless there is a significant change in the writing and acting I can see the next season of Dr Who being the last. It used to be the sets were cardboard and the acting made up for it, now the acting is cardboard and the sets make up for it. The story today was bland and the acting mediocre. Thing is, I have yet to see Matt Smith really OWN the role. This today in no way was helped by the storyline. I'm sure Smith is a fine actor, but he just doesn't seem to fit the role, there's something lacking. Moffat has written some EXCELLENT episodes in the past (Empty Child, Girl in the fireplace, Silence in the library) but since being in control of the show - nothing on a par with them.

I've watched episodes of Dr Who featuring all the Actors, despite the show being 10 years old when I was born, I grew up in the Tom Baker era but have seen every episode I can find with earlier Doctors, and all have established themselves in the first episodes of the first season, something Matt Smith has not yet done. (Even Sylvester McCoy battling murderous Bertie Bassets) It could be that the script writers haven't given him the opportunity but it just seems he hasn't / can't settle into the role. We're a season into smith and he just doesn't bring the dynamic to the role. I had the same misgivings about Chris Ecclestone, but by the end of 'Rose' he'd established himself, Same for David Tennant - but by the end of 'Smith and Jones' he'd established himself. I'm a sci fi addict and proud of it, but the shows that don't draw me in seem to get cancelled a lot, I never got into Caprica - cancelled, Stargate Universe bored me - It wasn't just the 'oh we have 8 hours to find food' type storylines, there was no real antagonist (SG1 had the Goa'uld and the Ori, Atlantis had the Wraith), nothing that could draw the audience into supporting the main cast for - show cancelled. I'm getting those same 'meh' feelings for Doctor Who, and if they can't get the show moving I can see viewing figures dropping and the BBC deciding it's not cost effective to keep running.

Jameseh 26-12-2010 05:43

I can see what you mean about Matt Smith, I couldn't sit through today's special and some episodes of S5 were disappointing but with the large american following it seems to have and all the revenue they get from merchandise, I really can't see them cancelling it any time soon.

Stephen 26-12-2010 13:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35143300)
Watching the Xmas ep now.

One thing i've noticed so far is that there seem to be a few references to star trek. Nothing massive, just that the bridge of the starship Amy was one was a similar shape to the bridge of the Enterprise in The Wrath Of Kahn. The Viewscreen was the same shape as well. They also referred to the ship as being "Galaxy Class".

Not only that but the bridge was White and had lots of lens flair like the recent Trek movie.

Need to give a second viewing but I really enjoyed the Christmas ep this year.

Blackened 26-12-2010 13:22

We were all looking forward to the episode all day and settled to watch it late evening - our V+ box ended the recording before the episode had finished. We're all pretty big DW fans in this house but none of us could be bothered checking iPlayer to watch the last few minutes. Very dull for a special. I think (unlike DT) Smith needs strong supporting character roles and those were clearly lacking here.

Mick Fisher 26-12-2010 15:26

Just as disappointing as the previous series.

On the strength of the Xmas special and the last series I think I have come to the end of my patience with this show.

It seems to me to be on a par with Merlin, complete and utter rubbish. :(

LSainsbury 29-12-2010 10:55

Watched the Christmas episode last night - I'd give it 2/10 at a push. Didn't like it at all.

martyh 29-12-2010 11:40

compared to other christmas specials this was crap ,the story line was rubbish.I don't mind Matt Smith he will grow on me the same as other doctors have as long as the story lines improve ,hopefully this is not a fore taste of things to come in the next season

Pierre 04-01-2011 12:20

I only got half way through it and turned it off........it was just boring, that's all.

Matt Smith is not a good doctor.

The shine has rubbed of Karen Gillan, christ give me back Catherine Tate any day of the week.

I agree that the good doctor is doomed unless something drastic happens.

Dave9946 29-01-2011 09:40

I dont think any of the xmas specials have been anything like as good as episodes from the series. But is that not the point?. They are xmas specials they dont seem to be made like they are serious important episodes that are an important part of a continual series storyline etc. I dont think of them as anything other that the "light\fun" eps that you seem to get 1 a series for.

Lew 15-03-2011 14:52

Don't forget that there's a mini Doctor Who adventure in this Friday's Comic Relief.

And as part of the build-up you can watch the first part of the original Comic Relief special, Doctor Who and the Curse of Fatal Death on the BBC's Doctor Who site. Part 1 is up now, with part 2 to be added tomorrow.

BenMcr 15-03-2011 15:25

Or watch the whole thing on Comic Relief's official YouTube page here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do-wDPoC6GM

;)

---------- Post added at 15:25 ---------- Previous post was at 15:24 ----------

Also Time Crash is online too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I76p1cZbq4

Stephen 15-03-2011 16:22

Its looking like an Easter weekend launch again this year although the BBC still haven't confirmed a date.

However it starts in the USA on the 23rd April so we will be a couple of weeks before that.

BenMcr 15-03-2011 16:24

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/do...iere-date.html

Quote:

The next series of Doctor Who will premiere over the Easter weekend.

The first half of the show's sixth run will begin on BBC One on Saturday 23 April, according to Doctor Who Magazine.