Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Welsh 16 year olds get the vote (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33708438)

papa smurf 02-12-2019 10:38

Re: Welsh 16 year olds get the vote

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 36018906)
Indeed, a sixteen year old can choose to defend their country, yet is denied a voice in how that country should be run.

They can't fight on the front line until they are adults,and that is aged 18.

mrmistoffelees 02-12-2019 10:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36018909)
They can't fight on the front line until they are adults,and that is aged 18.

I know, but you don't have to be on a front line to be at risk. Although of course the risk increases significantly.

papa smurf 02-12-2019 11:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 36018910)
I know, but you don't have to be on a front line to be at risk. Although of course the risk increases significantly.

What do they do that puts them at risk?

mrmistoffelees 02-12-2019 11:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36018916)
What do they do that puts them at risk?

I dont know off hand, but I'm sure there are some... even the training they would undertake puts them at a degree of risk both physically and mentally?

'Thanks very much for your service you're grown up enough for that, but not to decide who should run our country' ?

pip08456 02-12-2019 12:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 36018917)
I dont know off hand, but I'm sure there are some... even the training they would undertake puts them at a degree of risk both physically and mentally?

'Thanks very much for your service you're grown up enough for that, but not to decide who should run our country' ?

Nor to fight for it.

Carth 02-12-2019 12:09

If the government . . whoever that turns out to be . . gives 16yr olds the vote, then they'd better start treating them as adults and pay them the benefits they currently aren't allowed until they reach 18.

I'm sure there will be more age related anomalies, but this one is a starter.

edit:
oh, and stop giving them anonymity in court too

mrmistoffelees 02-12-2019 12:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36018926)
Nor to fight for it.

OK, so service to country isn't enough?
Paying tax isn't enough?

jfman 02-12-2019 12:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 36018935)
Paying tax isn't enough?

Would be a different story if they had a greater propensity to vote Conservative.

The generation who have squandered this countries wealth for the last 40 years want to pull up the drawbridge and cling onto this failed model for their lives.

Adding more younger voters who can see the obvious disparities in the system would go against that.

Sephiroth 02-12-2019 12:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 36018935)
Paying tax isn't enough?

They are kids.

mrmistoffelees 02-12-2019 12:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36018941)

They are kids.

They are kids who are providing service to their country. Additionally they are paying taxes into this country that are then spent by people who they have no choice in selecting.

Damien 02-12-2019 14:17

I think the voting age should be lowered to 16. I don't think the arguments about their lack of knowledge are convincing because we don't apply a mental capacity test before people are entitled to vote. People at 18 don't become suddenly able to make an informed judgment and neither are all adults making an 'informed' decision. People vote for all sorts of reasons and it's a bad path to go down for others to decide if those reasons are valid or not.

They are deemed wise enough to be tried as an adult for crimes, to join (if not fight) the army and to pay taxes. If we think they are able to make these decisions for themselves and to pay for the services the government provides then they should be able to vote.

In the end voting is a right, not a privilege, and so you need a very good reason to deny people that right.

nomadking 02-12-2019 14:32

They don't suddenly become more knowledgeable and mature at 16. Children can be in a situation where they pay tax, then again if you're going to use that argument, what happens to those who don't pay tax, or incorrectly declare it(eg Jeremy Corbyn).

mrmistoffelees 02-12-2019 15:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36018962)
They don't suddenly become more knowledgeable and mature at 16. Children can be in a situation where they pay tax, then again if you're going to use that argument, what happens to those who don't pay tax, or incorrectly declare it(eg Jeremy Corbyn).

Fair enough, then exclude anyone under the age of eighteen from paying tax ? and don't allow them to enlist in the armed forces.

Sound reasonable?

---------- Post added at 15:00 ---------- Previous post was at 14:59 ----------

Quote:

As with everything there's balance required. there will be a proportion of sixteen year olds with a lot wiser heads then those over the age of eighteen.

denphone 02-12-2019 15:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36018960)
I think the voting age should be lowered to 16. I don't think the arguments about their lack of knowledge are convincing because we don't apply a mental capacity test before people are entitled to vote. People at 18 don't become suddenly able to make an informed judgment and neither are all adults making an 'informed' decision. People vote for all sorts of reasons and it's a bad path to go down for others to decide if those reasons are valid or not.

They are deemed wise enough to be tried as an adult for crimes, to join (if not fight) the army and to pay taxes. If we think they are able to make these decisions for themselves and to pay for the services the government provides then they should be able to vote.

In the end voting is a right, not a privilege, and so you need a very good reason to deny people that right.

The post of the last few weeks need l say more..:tu:

jfman 02-12-2019 15:20

Quote:

It’s an arbitrary line at 16 just as much as it is 18. People go on about “world wisdom” achieved by 16 and 17 year olds without any real evidence for it.

Why don’t we restrict the franchise to the well educated? Property owners? Landed gentry? They’re all obviously ridiculous ideas. However so is the notion that someone is so much wiser simply because they are older.