Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   UK ambassador to the USA resigns over leaked cables (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707857)

1andrew1 10-07-2019 21:59

Re: Leadership who is the next PM?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36002111)
Boris Johnson isn't going to leak diplomatic cables. It won't be him, anyone doing it at his request or him engineering it somehow.

It's likely to be some idiot who didn't quite understand the seriousness of what they were doing.

I'm sure Boris didn't leak the papers*, but Darroch's resignation is being blamed on Boris not supporting him.

* https://news.sky.com/story/boris-joh...etary-11757269

Hugh 10-07-2019 22:33

Quote:

John Redwood
@johnredwood

The UK Ambassador to the USA used undiplomatic language and made wrong judgements in his memo. The Trump administration promised more jobs, big tax cuts and higher wages and has delivered all three. The May government promised to leave the EU on 29 March and failed. Who is inept?

6:22 am · 9 Jul 2019 · Twitter Web App
2.6K Retweets
6.8K Likes

Damien 10-07-2019 22:44

These people are so cretinous. They know full well the memo was never intended for public eyes. He is entitled to view Trump as successful and May as not but what's that got to do with how ambassadors do their job?

Maggy 10-07-2019 22:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36002111)
Boris Johnson isn't going to leak diplomatic cables. It won't be him, anyone doing it at his request or him engineering it somehow.

It's likely to be some idiot who didn't quite understand the seriousness of what they were doing.

I just hope they find and prosecute. I'm sick of these constant leaks that are more likely to injure our standing than enhance them. At least Gate was actually doing what the job required unlike a lot of our cabinet members who have failed spectacularly at the positions they have been assigned.

1andrew1 10-07-2019 23:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36002117)
These people are so cretinous. They know full well the memo was never intended for public eyes. He is entitled to view Trump as successful and May as not but what's that got to do with how ambassadors do their job?

Desperate stuff. Redwood's not the man he used to be. He needs to step down and give a more able MP the chance.

Chris 11-07-2019 00:21

Re: UK ambassador to the USA resigns over leaked cables

Posts about the US ambassador have been split into their own thread, as it is a separate story to the Tory leadership contest.

Pierre 11-07-2019 15:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36002120)
Desperate stuff. Redwood's not the man he used to be. He needs to step down and give a more able MP the chance.

Yet what he says is accurate.

It is also clear that whoever leaked this was a "Remainer" civil servant doing their best to sour our relationship with the USA pre- Brexit. So they can all point to the possibility of us not getting a trade with them in a timely manner.

The ambassador is a pawn caught up in this.

His resignation and the situation he found himself are nothing to do with Johnson.

Damien 11-07-2019 16:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36002171)
It is also clear that whoever leaked this was a "Remainer" civil servant doing their best to sour our relationship with the USA pre- Brexit. So they can all point to the possibility of us not getting a trade with them in a timely manner.

The speculation is that it's a Brexiter, not a Remainer, because of who they leaked it too and because they think Johnson will appoint a more friendly to Brexit-friendly civil servant to the post. There is a reason the Brexit Party are condemning the ambassador and Remainer parties are condemning the leak.

But why is he correct? The ambassador shouldn't be fired for giving his honest opinion in a private diplomatic communication to his own government. It's his job.

In the end, reality meant he had to go which is why the leaker themselves is to blame.

pip08456 11-07-2019 16:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36002174)
The speculation is that it's a Brexiter, not a Remainer, because of who they leaked it too and because they think Johnson will appoint a more friendly to Brexit-friendly civil servant to the post. There is a reason the Brexit Party are condemning the ambassador and Remainer parties are condemning the leak.

But why is he correct? The ambassador shouldn't be fired for giving his honest opinion in a private diplomatic communication to his own government. It's his job.

In the end, reality meant he had to go which is why the leaker themselves is to blame.

What a load of rubbish!

He didn't get sacked, he resigned as his position became untenable due to the leak.

As regards the leaker, I think when found he/she should face the full extent of the law. It was not a "Whistleblower" situation and has harmed UK international relations.

Hugh 11-07-2019 16:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36002175)
What a load of rubbish!

He didn't get sacked, he resigned as his position became untenable due to the leak.

As regards the leaker, I think when found he/she should face the full extent of the law. It was not a "Whistleblower" situation and has harmed UK international relations.

Someone sets fire to a house, so the occupant of the house has to leave the house because his situation is untenable - it's not the occupant's fault they had to leave the house...

pip08456 11-07-2019 16:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36002178)
Someone sets fire to a house, so the occupant of the house has to leave the house because his situation is untenable - it's not the occupant's fault they had to leave the house...

Which has absolutely nothing to do with the thread.

Hugh 11-07-2019 17:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36002175)
What a load of rubbish!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36002178)

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36002179)
Which has absolutely nothing to do with the thread.

Pierre 11-07-2019 17:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36002174)

He didn’t ask for the ambassador to be fired. He was correct in the Ambassador called the Trump administration inept, when they are actually delivering on their election promised, mostly. Yet it is our government that is inept.

pip08456 11-07-2019 17:37

Back in May there was a fire in one of the flats in which I reside. As my situation was untenable I had to leave. 4 days later I was able to return to my flat.

Just like your post absolutely nothing to do with this thread. The above by the way is truthful.

1andrew1 11-07-2019 19:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36002171)
Yet what he says is accurate.

The ambassador is a pawn caught up in this.

His resignation and the situation he found himself are nothing to do with Johnson.

You can count Remainer civil servants on the fingers of one hand. Most civil servants I've spoken to are for it as it provides them with more career opportunities.
The language used was the down-to-earth language used for internal briefings, not a press release.