Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : New price rises 2021! (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709667)

denphone 05-01-2021 13:49

Re: New price rises 2021!

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36065269)
Agreed, and other similar providers are likely to increase their prices even more.

There was no increase last year and investment comes at a cost.

For once OB l agree with you.

Mr K 05-01-2021 13:55

Prices rises due to inflation ive no problem with. But VMs ( and others) have busted that over the past few years.
Only negotiated a new deal couple of weeks ago, heard nothing, so fingers crossed! If they do renege on the deal its contract ripped up and the bore of renegotiating again...

jfman 05-01-2021 14:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36065323)
Prices rises due to inflation ive no problem with. But VMs ( and others) have busted that over the past few years.
Only negotiated a new deal couple of weeks ago, heard nothing, so fingers crossed! If they do renege on the deal its contract ripped up and the bore of renegotiating again...

Defo going to go to retentions as don’t see the point in accepting “inflation” as a justification for costs going up - otherwise inflation never comes down!

Where’s their entrepreneurial spirit? These capitalists are supposed to create competition and drive costs down for end users not issue lazy annual price rises just because they can. ;)

Paul 05-01-2021 14:59

What competition ?

No one else around here can provide anything close to 350/35, let alone 1000/50.

Perfect Choice 05-01-2021 23:20

Well I only agreed a new 18 month contract on the 24th December with a couple of agreed changes with uplifts to TV and BB options. Now will a price rise apply for a brand new contract still in its initial 30 days? If yes then I will be ringing up and removing those uplifts!

However one of those uplifts I did was for BB from 100 to 200MB as have had speed performance issues where I am so may negotiate that one still. If after upgraded to 200MB, doing speed tests on VMs own site (which uses Speedtest anyway) only came up with 127-141MB download anyway (and that was with a direct ethernet connection to my SH3 so no Homeplug or WiFi slow down) so still well off the 200MB purchased.

The other uplift I did was on TV as my old package (Fun TV) was no longer available I was told. Not so bothered about this uplift and will pull back if required to save cost if a price increase does apply for my new contract. It was a bit of a strange offer in that I was happy too have the nearest to what was Fun TV with the channels that offered and was changed to Mix TV, but then discovered that meant I would not get one channel I do watch (National Geographic) so rang back to say this wasn't stated and was then changed to Maxit TV to get that channel back and at no extra cost. Now what i was told was there was no other option above Mix TV despite being other options on the VM site like Full House. So not sure what was gong on there and even wondered if the agent was a bit "too merry" as this was Christmas Eve I called! But was happy to accept as wasn't costing me anything, but if it does now with this price increase then that is a different matter! I only wanted 1 extra channel from the Mix TV I was offered, so if it will cost me lots, its not that important in the end and will go back to Mix TV or whatever they can offer me as a pull back.

By the way, one thing I've always wanted to know is whether VM have ever offered TV only so for any Internet connection allowing the customer to use another provider? Its not an option on the web site but are they prepared to agree to that as a direct customer contract if called up? If it was possible it would be an option I would consider but is it some thing VM would very consider or a "no go" option as far as they are concerned. My logic is that if directly connecting a Tovo V6 box to your BB router does it matter which BB driver you are using?

jfman 05-01-2021 23:23

Not since they discontinued the original TiVo - there were TV options (possibly TV/phone) that didn’t require Virgin broadband.

The V6 - on both TiVo and 360 software - will only connect work with a Virgin broadband connection.

spiderplant 06-01-2021 08:55

The original TiVo isn't discontinued. Many customers are TV-only.

Mr K 06-01-2021 09:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 36065353)

I'll try telling my Tivo its discontinued this morning.... Despite its slowness that additional scart output is ever so handy !

japitts 06-01-2021 11:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfect Choice (Post 36065343)
I would not get one channel I do watch (National Geographic) so rang back to say this wasn't stated and was then changed to Maxit TV to get that channel back and at no extra cost. Now what i was told was there was no other option above Mix TV despite being other options on the VM site like Full House.

There's now the Mix it (broadly equivalent to Freeview) with Personal Picks (https://www.virginmedia.com/content/...Picks_2019.pdf)

Mixit + The "Entertainment & Documentaries" personal pick would have been achieved the same.

Costs may vary, as ever - and Maxit may not be much more expensive (and therefore better value) in some cases.

daveeb 06-01-2021 12:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36065356)
I'll try telling my Tivo its discontinued this morning.... Despite its slowness that additional scart output is ever so handy !

I also still have the old 500 GB scart version and yes the scart is certainly handy, although the fuzzy RF analog loveliness I can pipe around the house is starting to feel a bit dated. I'm sure our American forum friend would appreciate it ;)

jfman 06-01-2021 12:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 36065353)

Apologies I meant "to new customers".

Do they do TV only downgrades for TiVo users?

Carth 06-01-2021 13:30

Mine is going up £3-50, wife is complaining again yet she's the one that wants the TV package.

I'm wondering about going BB only and getting a Freeview PVR type thing for the TV ;)

spiderplant 06-01-2021 13:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36065387)
Do they do TV only downgrades for TiVo users?

Yes, though it's rare.

nashville 06-01-2021 18:04

My increase is £3 50 from March, We should still get our loyalty bonus I hope

Itshim 06-01-2021 18:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by japitts (Post 36065373)
There's now the Mix it (broadly equivalent to Freeview) with Personal Picks (https://www.virginmedia.com/content/...Picks_2019.pdf)

Mixit + The "Entertainment & Documentaries" personal pick would have been achieved the same.

Costs may vary, as ever - and Maxit may not be much more expensive (and therefore better value) in some cases.

The list you have linked is way out of date . Stopped looking when I saw universal listed :shocked: