Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : TV360 (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33711841)

1701-e 17-04-2023 21:07

Re: TV360

Quote:

Originally Posted by beaker17 (Post 36150056)

All readers - the voice command feature is absolutely fabulous ! It actions any command given, even go forward or backward.

Absolutely. Skip four minutes on ITV and skip five minutes on sky channels are the most common phrases in our house lol

beaker17 17-04-2023 21:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1701-e (Post 36150067)
Absolutely. Skip four minutes on ITV and skip five minutes on sky channels are the most common phrases in our house lol

�� ROFL - the terribly long adverts. Same here. 4 minutes every 15 minutes !!

RichardCoulter 18-04-2023 00:58

When the ability to record is finally discontinued, they will have even more control over what we can watch than ever

I can even see a time where it won't be possible to skip the adverts to appease the advertisets, this is already the case with some streaming services. Must hunt out my old VCR :D

Itshim 18-04-2023 12:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36150073)
When the ability to record is finally discontinued, they will have even more control over what we can watch than ever

I can even see a time where it won't be possible to skip the adverts to appease the advertisets, this is already the case with some streaming services. Must hunt out my old VCR :D

Never watch anything live even if start 30 minutes from start , skip a lot of gibbish that way:erm:

beaker17 18-04-2023 14:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36150073)

Disbanding the facility to record is a technology reversal of over 70 years, my compliments to the brainless morons who utter such tripe.

BenMcr 18-04-2023 16:20

There will still be options to save shows and watch them back later, it'll just not be done as a copy of a linear broadcast stream.

Itshim 18-04-2023 16:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36150098)
There will still be options to save shows and watch them back later, it'll just not be done as a copy of a linear broadcast stream.

Guess that reads, suck with adverts and long car drives ( also known as filler) netflix is looking better all the time.

RichardCoulter 18-04-2023 19:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36150083)
Never watch anything live even if start 30 minutes from start , skip a lot of gibbish that way:erm:

Same here.

---------- Post added at 19:21 ---------- Previous post was at 19:18 ----------

Quote:

The drawbacks to this are that not everything gets put onto VOD, some don't have subtitles, there is a limited window in which to watch things (could be wrong, but I don't think that we even get a warning when a bookmarked programme is about to expire) and you can't use QuickView to save time.

beaker17 18-04-2023 20:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36150105)
Same here.

---------- Post added at 19:21 ---------- Previous post was at 19:18 ----------

The drawbacks to this are that not everything gets put onto VOD, some don't have subtitles, there is a limited window in which to watch things (could be wrong, but I don't think that we even get a warning when a bookmarked programme is about to expire) and you can't use QuickView to save time.

To eliminate recordings is to deprive the user of an integrated technological feature that is vitally essential to modern day viewing - back to the Stone Age.
My hope is that the misguided advocates of this crazy idea soon become extinct.

RichardCoulter 19-04-2023 01:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by beaker17 (Post 36150109)
To eliminate recordings is to deprive the user of an integrated technological feature that is vitally essential to modern day viewing - back to the Stone Age.
My hope is that the misguided advocates of this crazy idea soon become extinct.

Well, it's the way Virgin seems to be heading.

When the V6 is eventually retired in favour of the 360 I will be cancelling the TV side, even if I am unable to dump their broadband offering.

Most PVR's seem to fail due to the HDD used for recording.. Maybe it's being done to make the boxes last longer??

Mr K 19-04-2023 07:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36150115)
Well, it's the way Virgin seems to be heading.

When the V6 is eventually retired in favour of the 360 I will be cancelling the TV side, even if I am unable to dump their broadband offering.

Most PVR's seem to fail due to the HDD used for recording.. Maybe it's being done to make the boxes last longer??

Think you hit the nail on the head with advertising. Easier to inflict with streamed programmes. Also BB isn't infallible as VM have proved over the last few weeks, so no streaming then. Recorded programmes are more reliable and give more control to the viewer Streamed stuff, to me, the PQ a lot of the time isn't as good.

Upgrade for VMs profits to knock these cheaper boxes out too, not for the customer. A flashy epg and a remote you can talk to are just gimmicks, plus the latter might get you locked up ! ;)

beaker17 19-04-2023 09:11

If Virgin are hell bent on committing market suicide by deleting recording, how about this -

Keep Virgin broadband and phone, dump Virgin TV and just have aerial Freeview.
If a broadband and phone package is not possible with Virgin, go to another provider like BT
and get recordings back with their TV package or stay Freeview.

BenMcr 19-04-2023 10:11

No-one has said that you won't be able to save shows on Virgin TV in the future. You're making assumptions about plans that don't exist.

beaker17 19-04-2023 10:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36150120)
No-one has said that you won't be able to save shows on Virgin TV in the future. You're making assumptions about plans that don't exist.

I was going on the comments made on this thread.

Itshim 19-04-2023 11:42

Quote:

Could you expand looks as if you can pick out a show and stream it. Like others that would be the killer for me.:dozey: