Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Film & Cinema (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Rate the last movie you saw (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=37399)

Tezcatlipoca 13-01-2010 20:13

re: Rate the last movie you saw

The Bourne Supremacy (Blu-ray)

9/10

The Bourne Ultimatum (Blu-ray)

8/10

Peter_ 13-01-2010 20:35

Sherlock Holmes 9/10 well worth seeing.

Will21st 14-01-2010 20:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie07 (Post 34944271)
No just normal screening, have you seen it in 3D whats it like?, i heard you get the feeling that your actually their?

Frankie,you HAVE to see it in 3D!!! It's an experience,not just a movie! Honestly,I was blown away by it,and cinema hasn't blown me away for a long time! :)

Tezcatlipoca 14-01-2010 20:56

The Pianist

9/10

Sirpingalot 16-01-2010 04:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alien (Post 34943351)
Stealth: I'd read a lot of bad comments about this movie [e.g. "worst movie ever", etc], so my expectations weren't very high, but having seen it I fail to see what's so bad about it. I actually thought it was a pretty decent action/sci-fi[ish] movie. 8/10

Miss Congeniality: 8/10

The Magic Roundabout: The animation was fine, but otherwise I was rather disappointed. 4/10

Madagascar: Not bad. 7.5/10

Clue: Surprisingly ejoyable, considering its age. 7/10

The Librarian: The Curse of the Judas Chalice: 7.5/10

Night at the Museum: 8/10

Earth vs. the Spider: Not-bad B-movie. 7/10

How to Make a Monster: Another B-movie; not great, but could be worse. 5/10

Flesh for the Beast: Lame. I'm not sure why I bothered watching it all the way to the end, except maybe the female nudity, but then again the girls weren't that hot. :shrug: 2/10

Automaton Transfusion: Kind of a poor-man's Resident Evil. Okay, so the acting wasn't great, but considering it only had a budget of $30,000 I think it wasn't too bad. In the interest of full disclosure I should mention 2 things:
1. quite a few people don't agree with me, & think it's really bad
2. It ends on a cliff-hanger, though a sequel is apparently in the works [which I intend to watch]. 7/10

30 Days of Night : 8/10

Eight Legged Freaks: If you're not a fan of spiders then this will quite probably give you the heeby-jeebies, as it did me, but it's still worth watching if you haven't seen it before. 6.5/10

Ocean's Eleven: Enjoyable heist movie. 8/10

Ocean's Twelve: Not bad, but didn't like it as much as the first 1. 7/10

Fireball: Pretty much your typical "bad guy uses experimental drug, gets super powers, & becomes super-villain that has to be stopped" type movie. 7.5/10

Polar Storm: Not bad world-in-peril disaster movie. 7.5/10

L.A. Story: 7/10

Scooby-Doo: I would have gotten away with giving this an 8 if it wasn't for those meddling film makers not only making Scrappy evil, but including him in the film in the first place. Matthew Lillard's portrayal of Shaggy was spot-on though, even the voice. 6/10

Scooby Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed: Significantly better than the original. 8/10

Miss Congeniality: Armed and Fabulous: 7.5/10

The Day the Earth Stopped: Similar story to The Day The Earth Stood Still, but I think I enjoyed this 1 more. 7/10

Edges of Darkness: I only managed to put up with about half an hour of this. Not worth the waste of time. 1/10

And I thought I watch a lot of films! I'll have to check out Automaton Transfusion; I've been running low on blood and guts ever since I finished with 28 weeks later.

Derek 16-01-2010 08:33

Day the earth stood still (Remake) - 2/10

Keanu Reeves owes me 2 hours of my life.

Hugh 16-01-2010 08:35

District 9 - 8/10

Stuart 16-01-2010 23:43

44inch chest. Thankfully, i heard an interview where Ray Winstone moaned about the fact that it has been hyped as a gangster film. It is not, and had I been expecting one, I would have been disappointed.

As it happens, it's a film about a violent Londoner (Winstone) and how he falls apart when his wife leaves him for another man. It's also about how his friends attempt to help him deal with it (by kidnapping and imprisoning his wife's lover, hence the ganster hype).

Nicely scripted and acted film. Not a lot actually happens, but it is entertaining none the less. John Hurt in particular is excellent as the Cantankerous old man known only as Peanut. There are a few scenes in which they are talking about old films, and one entertaining sequence where someone is describing the story of the Elephant Man to John Hurt's character..

7/10

Also, I watched Transformers 2 earlier. Typical Micheal Bay film. Nice big action scenes, lots of explosions, good special FX and Megan Fox both draped seductively over a motorcycle and driving a sexy loking camero at high speed.. 6/10

---------- Post added at 23:43 ---------- Previous post was at 23:38 ----------

Watched it on Tuesday. Thought the effects were excellent, as was the 3D. The storyline began and ended well, but the middle dragged. The film spent far too long establishing the relationship between Sam Worthington's character and the Na'vi. They could have lost about 40 minutes of film from that section with little or no impact on the story.

7/10 and yes, I did see it at the BFI London IMAX cinema.

In fact, while I am a great fan of James Cameron, and actually enjoyed both Avatar and Titanic, I do think he should look at his earlier films to remind himself how to set up believable characterisations without taking too long to do so. Aliens, The Abyss and T2 do this excellently..

zing_deleted 17-01-2010 01:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart C (Post 34946385)
44inch chest. Thankfully, i heard an interview where Ray Winstone moaned about the fact that it has been hyped as a gangster film. It is not, and had I been expecting one, I would have been disappointed.

As it happens, it's a film about a violent Londoner (Winstone) and how he falls apart when his wife leaves him for another man. It's also about how his friends attempt to help him deal with it (by kidnapping and imprisoning his wife's lover, hence the ganster hype).

Nicely scripted and acted film. Not a lot actually happens, but it is entertaining none the less. John Hurt in particular is excellent as the Cantankerous old man known only as Peanut. There are a few scenes in which they are talking about old films, and one entertaining sequence where someone is describing the story of the Elephant Man to John Hurt's character..

7/10

Also, I watched Transformers 2 earlier. Typical Micheal Bay film. Nice big action scenes, lots of explosions, good special FX and Megan Fox both draped seductively over a motorcycle and driving a sexy loking camero at high speed.. 6/10

---------- Post added at 23:43 ---------- Previous post was at 23:38 ----------

Watched it on Tuesday. Thought the effects were excellent, as was the 3D. The storyline began and ended well, but the middle dragged. The film spent far too long establishing the relationship between Sam Worthington's character and the Na'vi. They could have lost about 40 minutes of film from that section with little or no impact on the story.

7/10 and yes, I did see it at the BFI London IMAX cinema.

In fact, while I am a great fan of James Cameron, and actually enjoyed both Avatar and Titanic, I do think he should look at his earlier films to remind himself how to set up believable characterisations without taking too long to do so. Aliens, The Abyss and T2 do this excellently..

I found Avatar great but I understand what you say> i saw elements of Shogun remember how long it took Richard Chamberlain's character to get to know the Japs

Alien 17-01-2010 04:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirpingalot (Post 34945934)
And I thought I watch a lot of films!

I think that was a 2-3 week's worth of film watching. The thing is, almost all of them were films I'd recorded, & I had to watch some to make room for more recordings [on my V+].

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirpingalot (Post 34945934)
I'll have to check out Automaton Transfusion; I've been running low on blood and guts ever since I finished with 28 weeks later.

Don't you get Zone Horror then? I don't know what channel it is on Sky, but on VM it's 149.

Autumn: Could do with some serious editing, as it really drags on.

Spoiler: 
Aside from being too long, it's a zombie movie where the meat-suits are usually slow moving & are mostly drawn to sound [& light during the night], rather than the need to munch on the living, though they do get round to doing a bit of that occasionally. You'd think the characters in the film had never seen a zombie movie, or even heard of zombies. The dead get up & start walking around again, & yet they wait until they start to attack the living before doing anything against them, & even then it's only really in self defence! If the dead were the fast & immediately aggressive type [eg 28 Days Later] then I could understand - that or if the characters were total pacifists or whatever, but they weren't.
4/10

Paycheck: Seen it before, but still not bad. 7/10

NYC: Tornado Terror: Typical disaster movie. 7/10

Between the Lines: I don't know why this has a score of 6.9 on IMDB, I really don't. It's supposed to be a comedy, or at least have some comedy in it - I didn't even manage a smile in the hour of it that I managed to put up with. I only watched it because it sounded good from it's description in DigiGuide, but my recommendation is don't even bother... unless you need a cure for insomnia! 1/10

Cheaper by the Dozen: Not bad. 7/10

Soulkeeper: 7/10

Mr. St. Nick: 7.5/10

The Art of War: 7/10

The Art of War II: Betrayal: 7/10

Dragonquest: Someone on IMDB described it as "Hot Shots meets Lord of the Rings", & whilst I still haven't seen the LOTR trilogy yet, I've heard enough about it to agree with the reference. 7/10

Village of the Damned: This is 1 of those films I watch because I feel like I should watch them at least once. Not that great. 5/10

Blue Crush: Babes in bikinis - need I say more? :D 7/10

Hellbinders: An odd little movie, but not too bad. 7/10

CycoSymz 17-01-2010 07:54

The Final Destination - 7/10 - Quite enjoyed this but thought this was the weakest in the series.

Flyboy 18-01-2010 00:49

Alien, oddly enough I have recently had the pleasure of watching The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951) 9/10 and Village of the Damned (1960) 7.5/10 and they are most certainly better that the recent re-makes. Saying that, I have also had the opportunity to watch The War of the Worlds (2005) and I found it to be far superior in its narrative, than the nineteen fifty-three version (although I still rate that a 7/10 as a stand alone tale).

altis 18-01-2010 12:00

I must commend Alien for including, not only a vast and wide selection each time but also, providing links to IMDB and some comments for every one. Well done. :tu:

Ravenheart 20-01-2010 22:01

Just back from seeing Avatar for the second time.. Just as good second time round :D (apart from guys constantly talking somewhere to the right)

naeskydish 23-01-2010 11:01

Though I've seen it before,I enjoyed the Chronicles of Riddick in HD on Picture box last night. Good entertainment.