Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017) (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704203)

Bananaman_007 25-01-2017 17:49

Re: Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

I did mention on the digitalspy topic that i thought Discovery would be a front runner for the Tru Tv Freeview slots. I know they were keen to expand Eurosport and making them the first Sports channel on Freeview would certainly do that. They have also tested a variety of Eurosport rights on Quest, snooker, rally, darts and even some football have all appeared on Quest at various points.

Media Boy UK 25-01-2017 19:23

Seenit is reporting at Now TV and Sky viewers may lose channels own by Discovery next week.

http://www.seenit.co.uk/discovery-th...riage-dispute/

Discovery has reassured BT and Virgin Media customers that they will continue to have access to the channels as it has separate long-term agreements in place with those brands.

muppetman11 25-01-2017 19:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 35882177)
Seenit is reporting at Now TV and Sky viewers may lose channels own by Discovery next week.

Discovery has reassured BT and Virgin Media customers that they will continue to have access to the channels as it has separate long-term agreements in place with those brands.

Thanks for the info , Sky looking to cut costs while at the same time increasing subscriptions. Wonder where all that coins going.

OLD BOY 25-01-2017 19:39

I would be very surprised if there wasn't an outcry from Sky viewers over this. Despite what Sky says, I think the majority of their subscribers value the Discovery bouquet of channels.

Ddonald2016 25-01-2017 19:46

Well I think it's good for virgin as they are the only home of discovery complete package

Chad 25-01-2017 19:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 35882177)

Should be interesting to see how this plays out. Discovery will lose a lot of viewers if it's pulled from SKY. I'm a big fan of the Discovery Channel but not the other variations of the channel that broadcast. Would be sad to see it go but not a deal breaker for me.

Had a look at BARB figures for the Discovery Channel through 2016. It pulls in around 430,000 viewers per day. SKY households must account for around 70% of their total viewers. Can't see Discovery Channel lasting too long with around 129,000 viewers each day. Some of the other Discovery branded channels are only pulling in around 60,000 viewers per day.

Something has to give.

Ddonald2016 25-01-2017 19:55

For sky to lose those channels it's a great moment for virgin media

denphone 25-01-2017 20:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35882187)
Thanks for the info , Sky looking to cut costs while at the same time increasing subscriptions. Wonder where all that coins going.

Good grief your Sky negativity posts seem to be increasing by the day MM.;)

---------- Post added at 20:00 ---------- Previous post was at 19:59 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ddonald2016 (Post 35882204)

That is a different approach to what you were saying a while back.;)

theone2k10 25-01-2017 20:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35882191)
I would be very surprised if there wasn't an outcry from Sky viewers over this. Despite what Sky says, I think the majority of their subscribers value the Discovery bouquet of channels.

TBF apart from Eurosport the Discovery channels are a shadow of what they used to be, the quality of content has been very poor for quite awhile.
The channels would certainly be missed but not as much as Discovery think.

---------- Post added at 20:14 ---------- Previous post was at 20:12 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ddonald2016 (Post 35882204)

Is it relly though?
As BT and plusnet offer the discovery channels on a much cheaper basis than vm, it certainly won't harm vm that's for sure.

muppetman11 25-01-2017 20:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35882202)
Should be interesting to see how this plays out. Discovery will lose a lot of viewers if it's pulled from SKY. I'm a big fan of the Discovery Channel but not the other variations of the channel that broadcast. Would be sad to see it go but not a deal breaker for me.

Had a look at BARB figures for the Discovery Channel through 2016. It pulls in around 430,000 viewers per day. SKY households must account for around 70% of their total viewers. Can't see Discovery Channel lasting too long with around 129,000 viewers each day. Some of the other Discovery branded channels are only pulling in around 60,000 viewers per day.

Something has to give.

I said this would happen on here a while back , I'd expect Sky to play hard ball with other broadcasters as it looks to reduce costs. These kind of disputes are common in the US and many times leads to channels being removed for a period of time.

Telegraph reporting it now
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...ackout-threat/

Arthurgray50@blu 25-01-2017 20:39

My wife loves the Discovery channels more than me. So she is rubbing her hands tonight. As we also had Sky. So this is her chance to get rid of Sky due to cost.

What about BT Sport. Are there talks up soon.

denphone 25-01-2017 20:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35882217)
I said this would happen on here a while back , I'd expect Sky to play hard ball with other broadcasters as it looks to reduce costs. These kind of disputes are common in the US and many times leads to channels being removed for a period of time.

Telegraph reporting it now
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...ackout-threat/

The thing is Sky found it easy to bully before but might find the piper plays a rather different tune now.

---------- Post added at 20:50 ---------- Previous post was at 20:49 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 35882219)
My wife loves the Discovery channels more than me. So she is rubbing her hands tonight. As we also had Sky. So this is her chance to get rid of Sky due to cost.

What about BT Sport. Are there talks up soon.

Good grief your household Arthur must switch between suppliers every few months.;)

Ddonald2016 25-01-2017 20:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35882205)
Good grief your Sky negativity posts seem to be increasing by the day MM.;)

---------- Post added at 20:00 ---------- Previous post was at 19:59 ----------

That is a different approach to what you were saying a while back.;)

Well I never debated the sky discovery issue before. But for virgin to have all discovery SD HD and hopefully UHD, along with all Eurosport and TLC, certainly gives them a stronger position

Arthurgray50@blu 25-01-2017 20:55

Isnt this the same story abut VM and SA. sky WONT pay over the price for the channels. And yet VM wont pay extra funds for the channel

denphone 25-01-2017 20:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 35882226)
Isnt this the same story abut VM and SA. sky WONT pay over the price for the channels. And yet VM wont pay extra funds for the channel

If Sky are offering SA and that is a big if? one suspects they are asking for a astronomical carriage fee from their competitors.