Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019) (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707215)

cheekyangus 10-02-2019 17:25

Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottishSteve (Post 35982847)
I just had a message pop up on my home screen that the STV HD swap will now happen this Tuesday
It states that STV SD will not be available after this time but recordings will be available for 12 months.

Beat me to it. :D

Interestingly it says not to worry about Series Links. Previously, to my recollection, this wasn't the case in these type of circumstances. So have VM worked out how to amalgamate them?

RobboEdin 10-02-2019 17:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 35982859)

Interestingly it says not to worry about Series Links. Previously, to my recollection, this wasn't the case in these type of circumstances. So have VM worked out how to amalgamate them?

Not my experience. When BBC 1 HD moved from 108 to 101 in Scotland, all my series were correctly migrated.

denphone 10-02-2019 17:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobboEdin (Post 35982860)
Not my experience. When BBC 1 HD moved from 108 to 101 in Scotland, all my series were correctly migrated.

Same here.

garethf1927 10-02-2019 17:44

Quote:

First post!

Well I had series links on both copies of Crime + Investigation HD. A couple of weeks ago they swapped around and then when the one of 274 disappeared the series link moved to 222 so I wonder if there is now a way to amalgamate them

RichardCoulter 10-02-2019 18:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by garethf1927 (Post 35982862)
First post!

Well I had series links on both copies of Crime + Investigation HD. A couple of weeks ago they swapped around and then when the one of 274 disappeared the series link moved to 222 so I wonder if there is now a way to amalgamate them

Let's hope so.

truTV will be closed after today and will be replaced by a channel called 'True Crime'.

cheekyangus 10-02-2019 18:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35982866)
Let's hope so.

truTV will be closed after today and will be replaced by a channel called 'True Crime'.

I hadn't heard Sony were bringing back True Crime, it was only February last year it was renamed Sony Crime 2 and then Sony Crime 2 was axed in November.

OLD BOY 10-02-2019 19:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35982866)
Let's hope so.

I hadn't noticed that, but I won't be sorry to see the back of TruTV. The schedules were very poor and unimaginative. The new channel is an improvement certainly, but still not one that I would watch.

RichardCoulter 10-02-2019 19:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 35982875)
I hadn't heard Sony were bringing back True Crime, it was only February last year it was renamed Sony Crime 2 and then Sony Crime 2 was axed in November.

It does seem odd doesn't it.

ozsat 11-02-2019 05:13

Uising Series Link+ means they are not fixed to a channel - so channel renames, moves and even closures do NOT break them.
Quote:

A series Link to a channel will break if the channel is removed.

denphone 11-02-2019 08:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35982879)
I hadn't noticed that, but I won't be sorry to see the back of TruTV. The schedules were very poor and unimaginative. The new channel is an improvement certainly, but still not one that I would watch.

But don't you have Now TV, Amazon and Netflix for your TV viewing.;)

cheekyangus 11-02-2019 11:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozsat (Post 35982903)
Uising Series Link+ means they are not fixed to a channel - so channel renames, moves and even closures do NOT break them.

Generally my Series Links haven't been set to All, so I've never assumed, especially as VM have indicated us to manually change links in the past. If I've known about a channel change I've often changed it to All in advance, but most of mine are set to specific channels by default.

OLD BOY 11-02-2019 12:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35982911)
But don't you have Now TV, Amazon and Netflix for your TV viewing.;)

As you know, I subscribe to all of them and also to the pay tv channels. If Amazon was included I would be able to search and playback my selected programmes from just one box. Without this, and a speedy uptake of new streaming services such as Disney + as they come along, I cannot see myself continuing with the pay tv channels for much longer as they are getting to the stage where they are no longer good value for money.

Only my wife prevents me from doing that now as she is frightened to death about accessing different inputs on the TV without me being there!

jfman 11-02-2019 16:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35982931)
As you know, I subscribe to all of them and also to the pay tv channels. If Amazon was included I would be able to search and playback my selected programmes from just one box. Without this, and a speedy uptake of new streaming services such as Disney + as they come along, I cannot see myself continuing with the pay tv channels for much longer as they are getting to the stage where they are no longer good value for money.

Only my wife prevents me from doing that now as she is frightened to death about accessing different inputs on the TV without me being there!

You’re in danger of offering evidence against the death of linear TV with your technophobe wife.

Essentially here you are accepting that the convenience that Virgin (and Sky) offer is worth something and that there’s a proportion of people who don’t want six or seven different subscriptions to different services accessible via different apps/sticks.

denphone 11-02-2019 16:12

Quote:

Not much chance of Amazon coming and even less chance of Disney coming l suspect.

---------- Post added at 16:12 ---------- Previous post was at 16:11 ----------

Quote:

We all know who wears the trousers in your household then.;)

OLD BOY 11-02-2019 16:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 35982952)
You’re in danger of offering evidence against the death of linear TV with your technophobe wife.

Essentially here you are accepting that the convenience that Virgin (and Sky) offer is worth something and that there’s a proportion of people who don’t want six or seven different subscriptions to different services accessible via different apps/sticks.

I don't see how you make that out. I am on record as saying that in the future, pay tv channels will die off and instead we will have bundles of streaming services offered by the likes of VM.

If we had that in place now, we wouldn't need Rokus and Fire sticks any more and my wife would cope because access would be through the V6.

---------- Post added at 16:34 ---------- Previous post was at 16:31 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35982953)
Not much chance of Amazon coming and even less chance of Disney coming l

We will get both eventually, but as you know, Virgin likes to take its time with this sort of thing.

A happy exception will be the Smithsonian channel, due to launch, even on VM, tomorrow!

---------- Post added at 16:36 ---------- Previous post was at 16:34 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35982953)
We all know who wears the trousers in your household then.;)

I do, mate, but I'm hardly going to go out for the evening and leave her unable to watch the telly, am I? I'm not that heartless!