Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   SD : TV price rises (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33685160)

kop32 03-02-2012 14:12

Re: TV price rises

Quote:

Originally Posted by New to cable (Post 35374757)
If you got the F1 Channel, Sky Atlantic, the extra itvHD channels and some quality ondemand streaming subscription services and the free streaming services like Crackle would you be happy?

I have no idea what you'll get just wondering.

Dosnt really bother me as I am on Sky+ HD with multi-room (I must add I do still have a V+HD box and M+ TV which I much prefer to the TiVo),my question was aimed at those people with a TiVo or who are thinking of getting one.

Alan Fry 03-02-2012 14:13

Lets hope the service improves!

denphone 03-02-2012 14:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Fry (Post 35374761)
Lets hope the service improves!

l am sure it will.

kop32 03-02-2012 14:29

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35374763)
l am sure it will.

m419 03-02-2012 14:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Fry (Post 35374711)
Well I agree, maybe a takover/merge of Virgin Media can work, but in the end C&W Worldwide might end up being taken over by Virgin Media itself!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...dwide-break-up

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/m...dwide-bid-talk

Virgin Media would never be able to afford that unless they go back to old tricks borrowing money like there's no tomorow.

By the way there are 2 Cable and Wireless companies now that they have demerged, the one we've been talking about is the one that runs the UK operation and owned the former cable business here in the UK, the other is Cable and Wireless Communications.

Alan Fry 03-02-2012 14:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by m419 (Post 35374777)
Virgin Media would never be able to afford that unless they go back to old tricks borrowing money like there's no tomorow.

By the way there are 2 Cable and Wireless companies now that they have demerged, the one we've been talking about is the one that runs the UK operation and owned the former cable business here in the UK, the other is Cable and Wireless Communications.

Cable and Wireless Communications provides Telecommunication services in Panama, Macau, Caribbean, Monaco, Maldives, Isle of Man and the Channel Islands

m419 03-02-2012 15:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Fry (Post 35374780)
Cable and Wireless Communications provides Telecommunication services in Panama, Macau, Caribbean, Monaco, Maldives, Isle of Man and the Channel Islands

Exactly, a new UK operation for themselves, however, after reading that document it looks like the mobile networks are after the UK arm of C&W Worldwide. Imagine if Virgin Media did takeover it, they would be able to reach businesses and possibly homes in the black spot areas like Westminster and City of London where Virgin Media is short of infrastructure and areas where it is very difficult to expand into because of planning laws.

denphone 03-02-2012 15:08

l thought there was author in there somewhere and perhaps now it the time for you to pen a little book for us to browse on this forum:D.

Alan Fry 03-02-2012 15:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by m419 (Post 35374784)
Exactly, a new UK operation for themselves, however, after reading that document it looks like the mobile networks are after the UK arm of C&W Worldwide. Imagine if Virgin Media did takeover it, they would be able to reach businesses and possibly homes in the black spot areas like Westminster and City of London where Virgin Media is short of infrastructure and areas where it is very difficult to expand into because of planning laws.

Could Virgin Media launch IPTV, 40-80 meg Broadband and phone serivice to VM Blackspots via BT Infinity or Takeove/Merger with C&W Worldwide

m419 03-02-2012 15:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Fry (Post 35374790)
Could Virgin Media launch IPTV, 40-80 meg Broadband and phone serivice to VM Blackspots via BT Infinity or Takeove/Merger with C&W Worldwide

They could but BT will make it difficult and costly on purpose, the Cable and Wireless network possibly so, but bare in mind that mostly covers streets in cities and town centres where businesses are likely to be present, with Virgin Media, it is mostly the opposite way round, they cover mostly residential streets and some business areas, it was built for that reason to simply deliver Cable TV to homes, as time has gone on, more can be delivered through its network like Broadband internet and Telephone services.

Alan Fry 03-02-2012 15:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by m419 (Post 35374795)
They could but BT will make it difficult and costly on purpose, the Cable and Wireless network possibly so, but bare in mind that mostly covers streets in cities and town centres where businesses are likely to be present, with Virgin Media, it is mostly the opposite way round, they cover mostly residential streets and some business areas, it was built for that reason to simply deliver Cable TV to homes, as time has gone on, more can be delivered through its network like Broadband internet and Telephone services.

Well lets hope a Virgin Media/C&W Worldwide merger is on the horizon!

muppetman11 03-02-2012 15:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joedm45 (Post 35374728)
If so then it brings it more or less in line with Sky Multiroom. Bang goes another USP for VM :(

Exactly another massive USP gone , from March 12 a Multiroom PVR on VM will cost £1.25 more than on Sky that's a very brave move.

gba93 03-02-2012 16:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35374749)
Yes there is a lot of happiness about the forthcoming prices but if people are unhappy then they have a choice to make but remember the grass is not always greener on the other side.

Certainly not on the dark side :dozey:

denphone 03-02-2012 16:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by gba93 (Post 35374812)
Certainly not on the dark side :dozey:

Better ask Muppetman about that universe.:)

gba93 03-02-2012 16:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35374816)
Better ask Muppetman about that universe.:)

I'm not sure I'm ready for that yet ;)