Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710629)

jfman 03-12-2021 20:53

Re: Coronavirus

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36104232)
No, it’s shield the vulnerable. What are lockdowns - your solution - if not isolation?

Again you deliberately conflate restrictions with lockdowns. Proving my point that debating with you is an essentially meaningless exercise because you fail to consider the points that are actually being made to you. Have you even considered if the economic impact of "shield the vulnerable", plus those self-selecting their way out of the economy and the WFH brigade outweigh the economic impact of some mitigations? You yourself couldn't name a single activity you wanted to do but could not directly before so-called "Freedom Day". Of course you haven't - because it's purely ideological.

Quote:

Lockdowns will not eliminate the virus - although you don’t seem to understand this point.
Burying your head in the sand won't bring back a 2019 economy either.

Quote:

The scientists have been trying to control our actions and what we can and cannot do since Covid arrived, and now it’s become a habitual knee-jerk response to everything. Some are making no secret of the fact they want to see mask wearing and social distancing forever more.
I've yet to see anyone say that those are required forever - this is pure speculation on your part and scaremongering.

Quote:

And what do you mean by ‘ I suspect in your head, you plan to stay in for a few months until it blew over’? Where does that come from? Nobody stops me from going out, sunshine.
I mean the words I say - they are clear and unambiguous statements. You don't see me shifting goalposts so read it back to yourself, interpret it as you wish and take it from there.

I note you specifically say "nobody" stops me from going out - not "nothing" stops me from going out. These have two distinct meanings. I didn't at any stage deny that you would be making an autonomous choice in taking the proposed action. Sunshine.

Mad Max 03-12-2021 21:04

Jffers, get a beer.....:D

Pierre 03-12-2021 21:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36104216)
Oh dear, bit like a playground round here..

I was hoping you would step up and assist an older person with obvious cognitive issues.

Bless you.

Mr K 03-12-2021 21:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36104236)
I was hoping you would step up and assist an older person with obvious cognitive issues.

Bless you.

I'd help you cross the road, anytime old chap :)

nomadking 03-12-2021 22:00

Even if the double jabbed that get infected, aren't able to pass it on, they must have caught it from someone who DID pass it on. The number of double-jabbed and infected, indicates how many infectious people are still out there.

Pierre 03-12-2021 22:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36104237)
I'd help you cross the road, anytime old chap :)

There’s not many be so kind. Bonny lad.

pip08456 03-12-2021 22:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36104240)
Even if the double jabbed that get infected, aren't able to pass it on, they must have caught it from someone who DID pass it on. The number of double-jabbed and infected, indicates how many infectious people are still out there.

There's only about 50m double jabbed so still a fair few to go.

I notice SAGE are at it agin trying to instil fear.

Quote:

Despite the hopes afforded by boosters, the SAGE papers today suggested Britain will not be coronavirus-free for at least another five years.

Experts suggested some form of measures will be needed for the next half a decade, with constant monitoring required to prevent future waves after Omicron has finished.

SAGE said: 'SARS-CoV-2 will continue to be a threat to health system function and require active management, of which vaccination and surveillance are key, for at least the next five years.'
Trying to justify their jobs perhaps?

jfman 03-12-2021 23:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36104246)
There's only about 50m double jabbed so still a fair few to go.

I notice SAGE are at it agin trying to instil fear.

Trying to justify their jobs perhaps?

What do you propose? Not monitoring?

As we are two years in on our fourth major variant (other areas of the world have saw others) I'm not convinced pretending it's not out there is a viable solution.

If vaccines are to become annual affairs, as many expect, monitoring is essential to find out how to tweak each vaccine.

This is what living with the virus looks like.

Paul 04-12-2021 01:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36104187)
I’m one minute in and so far I can tell Covid is on the up in almost all age groups, and almost all regions. Is there good news in there?

Maybe you should try watching all of it instead of 1 minute :erm:

Basically, "dont panic".
There is lots of hype about Omicron, but little to back it up atm.
Its likely to be a lot less of an issue than you think and could even just fizzle out, like beta did.

Oh, and covid cases (in general) are going up in most of Europe, but not so much in the UK.
Probably because we "unlocked" in the summer, they didnt, plus the added effect of boosters.

OLD BOY 04-12-2021 01:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36104234)
Again you deliberately conflate restrictions with lockdowns. Proving my point that debating with you is an essentially meaningless exercise because you fail to consider the points that are actually being made to you. Have you even considered if the economic impact of "shield the vulnerable", plus those self-selecting their way out of the economy and the WFH brigade outweigh the economic impact of some mitigations? You yourself couldn't name a single activity you wanted to do but could not directly before so-called "Freedom Day". Of course you haven't - because it's purely ideological.

Burying your head in the sand won't bring back a 2019 economy either.

Same old, same old. All this has been explained in previous posts. I’m getting off your merry go round now. You’ve had your fun, but you haven’t won.

As long as the PM keeps his nerve when so many lefties are panicking, we’ll be just fine resisting the panic measures these people are advocating.

---------- Post added at 01:31 ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36104248)
What do you propose? Not monitoring?

As we are two years in on our fourth major variant (other areas of the world have saw others) I'm not convinced pretending it's not out there is a viable solution.

If vaccines are to become annual affairs, as many expect, monitoring is essential to find out how to tweak each vaccine.

This is what living with the virus looks like.

You are the one pretending there’s a crisis here in the U.K.

jfman 04-12-2021 08:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36104253)
Maybe you should try watching all of it instead of 1 minute :erm:

Basically, "dont panic".
There is lots of hype about Omicron, but little to back it up atm.
Its likely to be a lot less of an issue than you think and could even just fizzle out, like beta did.

Oh, and covid cases (in general) are going up in most of Europe, but not so much in the UK.
Probably because we "unlocked" in the summer, they didnt, plus the added effect of boosters.

As we all know the British public respond well to “don’t panic”.

What you call ‘hype’ is grounded scientific analysis. While it may be that in practice vaccine efficacy holds up better than predicted, or the increased transmissibility seen to date is actually a fluke of a small number of superspreader events.

That doesn’t mean caution shouldn’t be considered. Individuals will take it upon themselves to exercise caution regardless until the data is clear.

Country comparisons suddenly valid because (relatively) we have looked in line with everyone else for a few weeks is a strange one, but it’s a long winter.

---------- Post added at 08:42 ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36104256)
Same old, same old. All this has been explained in previous posts. I’m getting off your merry go round now. You’ve had your fun, but you haven’t won.

As long as the PM keeps his nerve when so many lefties are panicking, we’ll be just fine resisting the panic measures these people are advocating.

No answers but once again trying to portray this as a left wing ruse. My good news for you is Boris has such a great track record at not panicking.

Quote:

You are the one pretending there’s a crisis here in the U.K.
Enjoy living with the virus off the merry go round. Do come back when restrictions are reintroduced, if so just for my entertainment.

papa smurf 04-12-2021 10:22

NHS allows GPs to postpone health checks for over-75s to focus on booster jabs

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-nhs...-jabs-12486013

Hugh 04-12-2021 12:20

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....11.21266068v2

Quote:

Although increases in the hazard of primary infection were observed following the introduction of both the Beta and Delta variants, no corresponding increase was observed in the reinfection hazard (approach 2). Contrary to expectation, the estimated hazard ratio for reinfection versus primary infection was lower during waves driven by the Beta and Delta variants than for the first wave (relative hazard ratio for wave 2 versus wave 1: 0.75 (CI95: 0.59-0.97); for wave 3 versus wave 1:0.71 (CI95: 0.56-0.92)). In contrast, the recent spread of the Omicron variant has been associated with a decrease in the hazard of primary infection and an increase in reinfection hazard. The estimated hazard ratio for reinfection versus primary infection for the period from 1 November 2021 to 27 November 2021 versus wave 1 was 2.39 (CI95: 1.88-3.11).

Conclusion: Population-level evidence suggests that the Omicron variant is associated with substantial ability to evade immunity from prior infection. In contrast, there is no population-wide epidemiological evidence of immune escape associated with the Beta or Delta variants. This finding has important implications for public health planning, particularly in countries like South Africa with high rates of immunity from prior infection. Urgent questions remain regarding whether Omicron is also able to evade vaccine-induced immunity and the potential implications of reduced immunity to infection on protection against severe disease and death.

Sephiroth 04-12-2021 16:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36104285)
NHS allows GPs to postpone health checks for over-75s to focus on booster jabs

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-nhs...-jabs-12486013

A foolish decision, imo. If the doctors were true to their oath, they'd put in extra hours yo do the vaccinations rather than stiff the old folk.

Carth 04-12-2021 16:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36104312)
A foolish decision, imo. If the doctors were true to their oath, they'd put in extra hours yo do the vaccinations rather than stiff the old folk.

All three of my jabs have been administered by a nurse . . . no doctor in sight