Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Other Digital TV Services Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   The future of television (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709854)

OLD BOY 06-05-2021 19:22

Re: The future of television

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36078919)
You are wrong. Most streamed content drops all at once, as a series. A limited number of high-profile, big budget series drop one episode per week.

These are the same sorts of shows that would ‘drop’ weekly in a prime evening slot on broadcast TV. That they reserve some of their premium content for weekly release undermines your argument that streaming, and giving viewers limitless choice and absolute control at all times, is inherently better. In terms of justifying investment in the most expensive programmes, there is a clear need to get a critical mass of simultaneous, or near-simultaneous, viewing, so that word of mouth works to maximum effect to increase ratings.

This is something broadcast TV achieves simply by its nature. It is something a streaming service tries to approximate by undermining the very thing you have always claimed is its principal benefit.

Well, what if it is streamed weekly on a limited basis? The point I was making was that it is possible to do, if this was seen as the best way.

Incidentally, you may have noticed that the linear TV channels have been airing some things back to back in recent times. Obviously imitating an advantage that streaming has, except that you cannot watch at a time of your choosing unless you record the whole lot.

Streaming is far more flexible - you can binge watch or watch weekly and when you want. It requires a contortionist to try to advance an argument that linear TV is better than this.

However, I can see that some of you on this forum will resist the changes that are to come until they actually come. So enjoy it while it lasts.

Hugh 06-05-2021 19:37

No one is arguing that "linear TV is better than this" - you appear to be putting words in people’s mouths…

What people are saying is that both ways have their strengths and attractions, which is why we believe that in the future (beyond 2035) both will still be in use.

jfman 06-05-2021 20:05

I’m resisting the future by subscribing to three streaming services. :D

Once again OB is conflating personal preferences with observations on the market as a whole.

Hugh 06-05-2021 20:49

Resistance is futile - you will be astreamallated… :D

(MeThree - Disney+, Amazon Prime, and Netflix)

I have a car, but I also walk to our local shops/restaurants, and cycle occasionally - why am I not just using the car?

Mr K 06-05-2021 22:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36078931)

However, I can see that some of you on this forum will resist the changes that are to come until they actually come. So enjoy it while it lasts.

There must be bigger things in your life to get stressed about on whether the future of tv is streaming/linear?

I'd worry more about Wokingham Town Fc . Are you a 442 stalwart or pack the midfield 3, 5, 2? It's a dilemma ... ;)

GrimUpNorth 07-05-2021 12:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36078869)
No, it doesn't. Airing new episodes weekly already happens for some programmes on Netflix, Amazon and Disney + for example. The programme simply appears on the designated day. You don't need a traditional linear channel to do that.

But that's linear isn't it? Tuesday at 7:30pm would still be 'Eastenders time'. I think you maybe should share with us your definitions of what is a linear channel and what is a streamer so those of us who dip in and out for the latest episode of the Old Boy & Jfman soap have some terms of reference. Thinking about it, you two arguing with predictable regularity could almost be described as a linear media offering ;).

1andrew1 07-05-2021 12:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth (Post 36078988)
But that's linear isn't it? Tuesday at 7:30pm would still be 'Eastenders time'. I think you maybe should share with us your definitions of what is a linear channel and what is a streamer so those of us who dip in and out for the latest episode of the Old Boy & Jfman soap have some terms of reference. Thinking about it, you two arguing with predictable regularity could almost be described as a linear media offering ;).

We don't do definitions in this thread, Grim. :D

Hugh 07-05-2021 12:34

Quote:

Here you go - from the previous "Re:Linear is old tech - on demand is the future" thread (01-12-2020 19:31)

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...postcount=1615

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36060578)
Linear TV is live in the sense that we are watching it as it is being broadcast. That’s why it is often described as ‘live TV’.

GrimUpNorth 07-05-2021 13:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36078989)
We don't do definitions in this thread, Grim. :D

Will me, just think if got clear definitions it would save all that head scratching (see my reply to Hugh below).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36078990)
Here you go - from the previous "Re:Linear is old tech - on demand is the future" thread (01-12-2020 19:31)

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...postcount=1615

Oh. If that makes EastEnders live TV, what does it make the sporting events like the FA cup or Olympics, or do we risk just covering well trodden ground again?

OLD BOY 07-05-2021 19:33

Quote:

Who says it has to start at 7.30? It could be uploaded at midnight. Whatever time it’s uploaded doesn’t make it linear. Once uploaded, it is not only there for the duration of the programme. It remains on thereto be accessed on demand.

I don’t care what you choose to call it, to be honest. It’s not me getting hung up on the technical terms.

jfman 07-05-2021 20:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36079023)
I don’t care what you choose to call it, to be honest. It’s not me getting hung up on the technical terms.

Why change the habit of a lifetime.

GrimUpNorth 07-05-2021 23:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36079023)
Who says it has to start at 7.30? It could be uploaded at midnight. Whatever time it’s uploaded doesn’t make it linear. Once uploaded, it is not only there for the duration of the programme. It remains on thereto be accessed on demand.

It doesn't have to start at 7:30 but if they just uploaded new episodes at random times they'd soon start getting complaints which would result in them setting an upload time. And why shouldn't it be 7:30, after all I'm pretty sure the BBC have a good idea of what works for a particular show and what doesn't.

I'm still confused when something is linear (scheduled) and when something isn't.

OLD BOY 08-05-2021 10:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth (Post 36079033)
It doesn't have to start at 7:30 but if they just uploaded new episodes at random times they'd soon start getting complaints which would result in them setting an upload time. And why shouldn't it be 7:30, after all I'm pretty sure the BBC have a good idea of what works for a particular show and what doesn't.

I'm still confused when something is linear (scheduled) and when something isn't.

It could be uploaded at 7.30, midnight or any time they chose. I agree that whatever time they picked, it would need to be consistent.

Hugh 08-05-2021 10:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth (Post 36079033)

Paul quoted Google about this last month

Quote:

Linear TV is a traditional system in which a viewer watches a scheduled TV program at the time it's broadcast and on its original channel. It also can be recorded via DVR and watched later.

GrimUpNorth 08-05-2021 11:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36079043)
It could be uploaded at 7.30, midnight or any time they chose. I agree that whatever time they picked, it would need to be consistent.

So released to a schedule, aka linear??