Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33688944)

Dave42 11-05-2013 00:39

Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:

Originally Posted by coulsontom (Post 35570494)
Yes, but if BT acquire 50% of the games.

Sky wouldn't be able to afford to charge higher prices for the same amount. Get it?

Competition = driving down prices.

no chance will bt get half the games

why then do different train companies charge different prices for same thing then of phone companies 2 examples charge different prices for exact same thing

higher bids for next deal = higher prices for customers not rocket science

colin25 11-05-2013 03:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35570497)

why then do different train companies charge different prices for same thing then of phone companies 2 examples charge different prices for exact same thing

tend to agree...someone will pay, and companies are not normally known for thinking about reducing prices to customers (Uk is known as rip off Britain)

denphone 11-05-2013 05:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin25 (Post 35570508)
tend to agree...someone will pay, and companies are not normally known for thinking about reducing prices to customers (Uk is known as rip off Britain)

Summed up perfectly Colin as we have been told for years that competition drives down prices but yet l don't think many of us have seen any proof of it.

colin25 11-05-2013 05:52

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/398...Sky-into-touch

interesting.

I am curious to know the end game. Is BT doing this to reinforce its broadband (making that its staple/stable supply). That puts it directly against Virgin, as a broadband provider.

It could also mean BT is trying to compete on sports front (don't see it trying to do all tv). that said, if internet is going to be the medium that people watch tv in future, then broadband is the delivery you want to be in now.

I am interested in short-term. Though never seen fast broadband as important (my gaming connection sucked with virgin), if infinity (and beyond) works well, I might be tempted (at worst, try it for a year, and go back to sky if unhappy).

I tend to view switching providers is occasionally wise, as companies tend to view regular customers as cash cows (which of course, doesn't moo me :) )

So just waiting for to see how sky respond, but they need to be quick about it, or I might switch purely as I can't be bothered waiting

(oh, not ruling out virgin, though suspect they have nothing I want, at least for the price they charge)

Mr Banana 11-05-2013 07:41

If you are on Sky and into sports it makes sense to me to change to BT broadband as its a very straight forward change. Not so simple if on VM though as you would need to go to a combination of Sky/BT or onto You View or BT Vision. Can you have additional outlets with BT as that would be a problem for my missus if you couldn't not sure I could convince her to give up TiVo either. The wife and kids also have cheap mobile deals from VM which I would also lose.

Doug P 11-05-2013 07:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35570512)
Summed up perfectly Colin as we have been told for years that competition drives down prices but yet l don't think many of us have seen any proof of it.

This is very true as a general point den unless price-fixing is involved. It does not seem to apply with tv where so much money goes on rights and paying former players most of whom are not worth half the money....

colin25 11-05-2013 08:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug P (Post 35570524)
This is very true as a general point den unless price-fixing is involved. It does not seem to apply with tv where so much money goes on rights and paying former players most of whom are not worth half the money....

You had me at start..until I realised the general point wasn't about me :D

coulsontom 11-05-2013 09:33

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35570512)

That happens when the competition is not selling the same thing. ESPN was selling crap games, BT have 18x best games.

With phones, and gas and electric, it's a mess and prices are constantly changing confusing the customer, who don't know what the best deal is. Government needs to regulate better.

But Sky wouldn't be able to afford to charge what they charge now if BT charged significantly less with 50% of the games.

---------- Post added at 09:33 ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 ----------

Quote:

Price-fixing generally ensures a higher cost is maintained preventing a price war.

This is perverse logic you're all coming out with.

muppetman11 11-05-2013 09:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by coulsontom (Post 35570543)
That happens when the competition is not selling the same thing. ESPN was selling crap games, BT have 18x best games.

With phones, and gas and electric, it's a mess and prices are constantly changing confusing the customer, who don't know what the best deal is. Government needs to regulate better.

But Sky wouldn't be able to afford to charge what they charge now if BT charged significantly less with 50% of the games.

The current situation forced on us by Europe costs the user more end of , when Sky had all the games you got a Sky Sports sub and the option to add 50 games via Prem Plus for £50 which is certainly cheaper than £15 per month granted ESPN & BT also show other sport as well.

I'm not suggesting that Sky should be granted a monopoly on football in my opinion the best solution for us the customer would be for the Premier league to have their own channel and sell their content on each platform at the same price , much fairer everybody gets HD/3D.

denphone 11-05-2013 10:33

BT’s free sports gambit tries to out-Sky Sky.

http://blogs.reuters.com/breakingvie...o-out-sky-sky/

Sirius 11-05-2013 11:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35570565)
BT’s free sports gambit tries to out-Sky Sky.

http://blogs.reuters.com/breakingvie...o-out-sky-sky/

I hate to say this but if you want a fight with Sky be prepared to fight them on every level. It has been shown time and time again that they will do ANYTHING to stop a competitor. The Murdochs know that sometimes you have to go beyond the legal to get something you want and have done so previously. ;)

denphone 11-05-2013 12:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 35570574)
I hate to say this but if you want a fight with Sky be prepared to fight them on every level. It has been shown time and time again that they will do ANYTHING to stop a competitor. The Murdochs know that sometimes you have to go beyond the legal to get something you want and have done so previously. ;)

And in my opinion that's why l think Sky will win this battle like all the other battles it has won before because when the going gets dirty Sky has plenty of tricks up its sleeve to sink any impending rival before it is allowed to use its guns.

Ben B 11-05-2013 12:14

If BT own the Sky Sports feeds on Freeview does that mean that Top Up TV customers are going to lose them too?

harry_hitch 11-05-2013 12:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35570577)
And in my opinion that's why l think Sky will win this battle like all the other battles it has won before because when the going gets dirty Sky has plenty of tricks up its sleeve to sink any impending rival before it is allowed to use its guns.

I think I am reluctantly going to have to disagree Den. It has been reported in the past that Sky used underhand tactics to destroy competitors (as Sirius points out i.e. the cards for itv digital.):mad: I doubt Sky will dare to try anything like that these days, with their current reputation as it is, and by having been found out by Panorama.
They complained about BT nabbing the rugby rights off them, but afaik, nothing came of that complaint and BT still have the rights.
I will be interested when the ECB cricket and RFU England international rights come up for sale again. I can see BT either going after them on their own or teaming up with one of the free to air broadcasters to try win the rights.
The only thing I see Sky having in their armoury now is vast, vast sums of money. If they spend too much money (which they will, the past has taught has this), and pass it on to their customers, I think people will vote with their wallets.
Having said that, I think Sky will continue to win the premiership rights and will continue as a strong channel (due to international sports i.e South Africa/Austrlia cricket/rugby matches etc) but I think BT have the power behind them to stay in it for the long term.

colin25 11-05-2013 12:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by harry_hitch (Post 35570588)
I think I am reluctantly going to have to disagree Den. It has been reported in the past that Sky used underhand tactics to destroy competitors (as Sirius points out i.e. the cards for itv digital.):mad: I doubt Sky will dare to try anything like that these days, with their current reputation as it is, and by having been found out by Panorama.
They complained about BT nabbing the rugby rights off them, but afaik, nothing came of that complaint and BT still have the rights.
I will be interested when the ECB cricket and RFU England international rights come up for sale again. I can see BT either going after them on their own or teaming up with one of the free to air broadcasters to try win the rights.
The only thing I see Sky having in their armoury now is vast, vast sums of money. If they spend too much money (which they will, the past has taught has this), and pass it on to their customers, I think people will vote with their wallets.
Having said that, I think Sky will continue to win the premiership rights and will continue as a strong channel (due to international sports i.e South Africa/Austrlia cricket/rugby matches etc) but I think BT have the power behind them to stay in it for the long term.

I agree. Den, don't let your liking for the virgin queens overrule your common sense. :D

denphone 11-05-2013 13:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin25 (Post 35570593)
I agree. Den, don't let your liking for the virgin queens overrule your common sense. :D

Oh Colin old boy you must take you rose tinted glasses off :waving: again as l have criticised Virgin and BT just as much as Sky :Yes::Yes: and will continue to do that in the future but even a diehard like you would admit that Sky are the experts when it comes fighting dirty.:D:D

tvtimes 11-05-2013 13:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35570365)
l have never said l knew anything of course but l am just telling people of how l see it and l did not know there was anything wrong with having a opinion on things as there are many here who have their opinions about everything all and sundry and the last time l looked free speech is allowed unless you have suddenly barred it.:)

Your reply was very definitive, like you knew for definite when you don't. You can't call someone a liar when you don't the facts.

BT have been conducting roadshows across their sites and also training their staff in the new package.
Surely they would need to let their staff know for definite as customers and non customers are going to be ringing up and asking.

---------- Post added at 13:31 ---------- Previous post was at 13:29 ----------

Quote:

The same was being said about BT coming in to the market place. Yet they are giving it away with broadband. we will have to be patient and see.

colin25 11-05-2013 13:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by tvtimes (Post 35570604)
Your reply was very definitive, like you knew for definite when you don't. You can't call someone a liar when you don't the facts.

BT have been conducting roadshows across their sites and also training their staff in the new package.
Surely they would need to let their staff know for definite as customers and non customers are going to be ringing up and asking.

---------- Post added at 13:31 ---------- Previous post was at 13:29 ----------

The same was being said about BT coming in to the market place. Yet they are giving it away with broadband. we will have to be patient and see.

Yes, waiting and seeing is the name of the game

denphone 11-05-2013 13:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by tvtimes (Post 35570604)

Surely they would need to let their staff know for definite as customers and non customers are going to be ringing up and asking.[COLOR="Silver"]

l am not calling anybody a liar but in my humble opinion only those higher up in companies generally know whats happening when it comes to future developments and l am just saying it as how l see it but remember at the end of the day most of our speculated comments and assumptions on here are what we think might happen or not happen and that's what people have to remember at the end of the day.:)

tvtimes 11-05-2013 14:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35570617)
l am not calling anybody a liar but in my humble opinion only those higher up in companies generally know whats happening when it comes to future developments and l am just saying it as how l see it but remember at the end of the day most of our speculated comments and assumptions on here are what we think might happen or not happen and that's what people have to remember at the end of the day.:)

You said he was talking a load of cobblers and didn't know. Same thing in my book.

Jameseh 11-05-2013 14:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben B (Post 35570580)
If BT own the Sky Sports feeds on Freeview does that mean that Top Up TV customers are going to lose them too?

Yeah, they're being replaced by feeds of BT Sport 1 & 2 so that non-infinity customers can watch it.

denphone 11-05-2013 14:31

BT in talks to put sports channels on Sky and UPC.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/s...-upc-1.1389347

Dave42 11-05-2013 15:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35570548)
The current situation forced on us by Europe costs the user more end of , when Sky had all the games you got a Sky Sports sub and the option to add 50 games via Prem Plus for £50 which is certainly cheaper than £15 per month granted ESPN & BT also show other sport as well.

I'm not suggesting that Sky should be granted a monopoly on football in my opinion the best solution for us the customer would be for the Premier league to have their own channel and sell their content on each platform at the same price , much fairer everybody gets HD/3D.

could not agree more with that MM mate

tvtimes 11-05-2013 15:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35570649)
could not agree more with that MM mate

Pigs would fly first though eh?

Dave42 11-05-2013 15:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by tvtimes (Post 35570651)
Pigs would fly first though eh?

yep that would be ideal solution but not gonna happen sky and now bt would never let it happen

Mad Max 11-05-2013 15:49

Quote:

You're not suggesting that they are operating a cartel surely..........;)

tvtimes 11-05-2013 15:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35570656)
yep that would be ideal solution but not gonna happen sky and now bt would never let it happen

Both, especially sky would lose customers in their droves. Plus the premier league would most likely stand to lose an absolute fortune too!

devilincarnate 11-05-2013 15:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by tvtimes (Post 35570660)
Both, especially sky would lose customers in their droves. Plus the premier league would most likely stand to lose an absolute fortune too!

No ? Sherlock

Mad Max 11-05-2013 16:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by devilincarnate (Post 35570661)
No ? Sherlock

:D:D

OLD BOY 11-05-2013 16:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35570577)

Yes, but what if next time around, BT joined up with other providers so that they could bid more for the majority of football matches and then divide those matches up according to how much each put in?

So, if BT joined up with the BBC and/or ITV and/or Channel 4 and/or Channel 5, for example, this would give non-subscribers some of the action and enable BT to offer the lion's share of football on its channels at a much cheaper price than Sky does now. Now, that would be progress.

Sooner or later, someone is going to see off Sky and offer customers a better deal. We can't carry on like this, with ever spiralling subscriptions to watch the game.

denphone 11-05-2013 16:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35570669)
Yes, but what if next time around, BT joined up with other providers so that they could bid more for the majority of football matches and then divide those matches up according to how much each put in?

So, if BT joined up with the BBC and/or ITV and/or Channel 4 and/or Channel 5, for example, this would give non-subscribers some of the action and enable BT to offer the lion's share of football on its channels at a much cheaper price than Sky does now. Now, that would be progress.

Sooner or later, someone is going to see off Sky and offer customers a better deal. We can't carry on like this, with ever spiralling subscriptions to watch the game.

But you are forgetting that most of the terrestrial channels have not got two sixpences to rub between them compared to Sky and Sky's advertising budget alone absolutely dwarfs that of the terrestrial broadcasters even when you put them all together

BexTech 11-05-2013 17:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by coulsontom (Post 35570494)
Yes, but if BT acquire 50% of the games.

Sky wouldn't be able to afford to charge higher prices for the same amount. Get it?

Competition = driving down prices.

We've had Setanta and ESPN and we're not paying less, we're paying more!

denphone 11-05-2013 18:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by BexTech (Post 35570682)

Exactly and unless Ofcom damn well do something we will continue to pay more l am afraid.

tvtimes 11-05-2013 19:15

Quote:

Not if you're a Sky or BT customer you're not.

---------- Post added at 19:15 ---------- Previous post was at 19:14 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35570693)
Exactly and unless Ofcom damn well do something we will continue to pay more l am afraid.

What do you expect Ofcom to do? BT are offering the chance to have sport free for the first time in 22 years. The sport channel is going to be more accessible to more people than Sky sports ever had. Sky has priced people out of the market for years.

I am pretty sure Ofcom will tell you to move if you don't like it.

BexTech 11-05-2013 19:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by tvtimes (Post 35570709)
Not if you're a Sky or BT customer you're not.

---------- Post added at 19:15 ---------- Previous post was at 19:14 ----------

What do you expect Ofcom to do? BT are offering the chance to have sport free for the first time in 22 years. The sport channel is going to be more accessible to more people than Sky sports ever had. Sky has priced people out of the market for years.

I am pretty sure Ofcom will tell you to move if you don't like it.

Paying more now than say 5 years ago!

harry_hitch 11-05-2013 19:35

Quote:

Not much more compared to ESPN. The quality of matches on BT should be better too, making the current BT price better value than ESPN or Setanta.
If you wanna pay less, set up a social networking group to get a large number of disgruntled fans together so you can all cancel Sky Sports en masse for two or three months at the start of the season. That will bring the price down very quickly.
I think bt will make a success of its sports, but it is gonna take a long while for them to really force Sky to drop prices.
The power to have prices is in your hands, if you simply can't bear to miss any football matches then you are gonna have to continue to pay through the nose for it!!!

Mad Bee 11-05-2013 20:42

Round at the girlfriends who has Sky. There are place holders on channels 413 and 414 for BT Sports. Looks like they're ready!

BexTech 11-05-2013 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by harry_hitch (Post 35570723)
Not much more compared to ESPN. The quality of matches on BT should be better too, making the current BT price better value than ESPN or Setanta.
If you wanna pay less, set up a social networking group to get a large number of disgruntled fans together so you can all cancel Sky Sports en masse for two or three months at the start of the season. That will bring the price down very quickly.
I think bt will make a success of its sports, but it is gonna take a long while for them to really force Sky to drop prices.
The power to have prices is in your hands, if you simply can't bear to miss any football matches then you are gonna have to continue to pay through the nose for it!!!

True. Though what I meant was before Setanta came about we were paying less. As more and more bidding wars came about we started paying more and more to cover it.

Like I said before Sky were making losses for many many years, they had planned for it, I'm sure BT are planning the same, in it for the long term and have the money like Sky did to take the losses for some time.

Mr Banana 11-05-2013 22:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by BexTech (Post 35570782)
True. Though what I meant was before Setanta came about we were paying less. As more and more bidding wars came about we started paying more and more to cover it.

Like I said before Sky were making losses for many many years, they had planned for it, I'm sure BT are planning the same, in it for the long term and have the money like Sky did to take the losses for some time.

Big difference now is that next time they both bid the price paid will have to be massive and who will lose out - us!

Ben B 11-05-2013 22:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jameseh (Post 35570626)
Yeah, they're being replaced by feeds of BT Sport 1 & 2 so that non-infinity customers can watch it.

I'm sure the percentage of TUTV subscribers will be quite small but still, it's a bit naff for those who just want freeview with sport

BexTech 11-05-2013 22:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top banana (Post 35570794)
Big difference now is that next time they both bid the price paid will have to be massive and who will lose out - us!

Exactly.

denphone 12-05-2013 06:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top banana (Post 35570794)

Summed up perfectly.

tvtimes 12-05-2013 07:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by BexTech (Post 35570716)
Paying more now than say 5 years ago!

That's called inflation and you know it. Everyone's prices go up.
If you were a Sky customer and you were paying £10 a month for ESPN. Plus whatever for bb, you can now move that BB to BT and get a much better equivalent to ESPN for free.

How is that more?

Doug P 12-05-2013 08:10

Main problem for me is having to swap VM Broadband for BT who I simply do not trust...

denphone 12-05-2013 08:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug P (Post 35570850)
Main problem for me is having to swap VM Broadband for BT who I simply do not trust...

Better the devil you know then the devil you don't know as once bitten twice shy.

johnasimmons 12-05-2013 08:53

To be honest we don't know yet if VM will get BT Sports or not...

Mr Banana 12-05-2013 09:11

I don't know if I have understood this correctly but in the Mail there is a piece about BT going to Ofcom as Sky won't agree to a carriage deal to allow Sky Sports 1 and 2 on You View. Does this mean Sky Sports is not on You View as I assumed it was.

Sky are apparently blocking this as BT will not allow Sky to sell direct via You View as BT are doing through Sky.

All getting a bit messy this, hopefully VM will come out with something that is easy to understand.

Mobes 12-05-2013 09:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnasimmons (Post 35570864)
To be honest we don't know yet if VM will get BT Sports or not...

When the hell are we going to find out? >:(

johnasimmons 12-05-2013 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mobes (Post 35570881)
When the hell are we going to find out? :(

Soon I hope as getting BT Sports or not will sway me to change to Sky or stay with VM

nstokes 12-05-2013 10:09

Just been watching BT Sport 1 to see if any other info and once you have BT Sport you can watch it on the go via the BT Sport app and have it on as many devices as you want with 2 streaming at the same time. There seemed to be no hint of it coming to VM thou but surely all they need to do is do the same as Sky customers and need the card number and go through same process. If it is going to be on VM i cant see it being free, i see it being same cost as Sky customers

tvtimes 12-05-2013 10:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnasimmons (Post 35570883)
Soon I hope as getting BT Sports or not will sway me to change to Sky or stay with VM

I don't expect VM to get btsport and I have given my reasons why in previous posts. I really wouldn't hold your breath. It certainly won't be free for VM customers. If BT do agree to allow carriage on VM then they will expect full subscription for it, they categorically WILL NOT allow VM to get it away free, it would not make any commercial sense to do so. If BT were to do this, they would effectively be giving away control of their own sports channel.
VM will not be able to afford to take a £12 hit for every XL subscriber.

As soon as I can get Infinity, I am moving and taking BB, phone and Youview with BT.

---------- Post added at 10:15 ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstokes (Post 35570886)
Just been watching BT Sport 1 to see if any other info and once you have BT Sport you can watch it on the go via the BT Sport app and have it on as many devices as you want with 2 streaming at the same time. There seemed to be no hint of it coming to VM thou but surely all they need to do is do the same as Sky customers and need the card number and go through same process. If it is going to be on VM i cant see it being free, i see it being same cost as Sky customers

That's not right mate. VM is a closed platform. Their card numbers do not have conditional access. Sky does, so BT can retail directly to Sky customers.

nstokes 12-05-2013 10:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by tvtimes (Post 35570888)
That's not right mate. VM is a closed platform. Their card numbers do not have conditional access. Sky does, so BT can retail directly to Sky customers.

Oh ok i didnt know that. Its like i siad in my pre post thee was no hint of it coming to VM. There is still plenty of time for BT and VM to come up with a deal thou

denphone 12-05-2013 10:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mobes (Post 35570881)
When the hell are we going to find out? >:(

If we go by the experiences of ESPN then early July perhaps.

Mr Banana 12-05-2013 11:18

Quote:

I don't expect VM to get btsport and I have given my reasons why in previous posts. I really wouldn't hold your breath. It certainly won't be free for VM customers. If BT do agree to allow carriage on VM then they will expect full subscription for it, they categorically WILL NOT allow VM to get it away free, it would not make any commercial sense to do so. If BT were to do this, they would effectively be giving away control of their own sports channel.

As soon as I can get Infinity, I am moving and taking BB, phone and Youview with BT.

---------- Post added at 10:15 ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 ----------

Nobody knows what VM will do. If they rolled it into an other package it wouldn't be a £12 hit as they already pay x to ESPN - rumour is £6, so it will be a £6 hit or less, depending on the commercials they can agree. It's also Liberty Global as of 1st week in June - hence the delay, however they may choose to pay whatever

Also another poster sent me a link which confirms Sky Sports 1 and 2 are not available on BT You View - only BT Vision. There's no way my wife would move to that as its very limited and you would need a 2nd line to get services in another room.

colin1234 12-05-2013 11:27

Not done a comparison yet but it does seem that the best way to get all sports is sky tv and bt broadband.Currently out of contract with virgin and just rang retentions to see what they could do,apparently you can only speak to them monday-saturday,oh well try again tommorow,but not holding out much hope.

Mr Banana 12-05-2013 11:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin1234 (Post 35570924)
Not done a comparison yet but it does seem that the best way to get all sports is sky tv and bt broadband.Currently out of contract with virgin and just rang retentions to see what they could do,apparently you can only speak to them monday-saturday,oh well try again tommorow,but not holding out much hope.

Yes that does seem the best approach if you are into sports

---------- Post added at 11:30 ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 ----------

There have been a lot of comments re VM not carrying BT sports, myself included. However (I posted this on the What Liberty Global will bring Topic) its clear that Sports is a large part of their portfolio

http://www.chellomedia.com/index.php?r=channels/index

Sport1 is part of our Sport TV Network covering the Netherlands, Hungary, Czech Republic, Slovakia and Romania. In the Netherlands it is the number one premium sports channel available on subscription and carries the best international and Dutch sports, including the UEFA Champions League, F.A. Premier League, Italy's Serie A, Spain's La Liga, top international golf and tennis tournaments and MotoGP. Sport1 is also Central Europe's most popular sports channel, broadcast through local language feeds, each channel broadcasting the very best in international and local sports, including top international football, basketball, and ice hockey and the NFL.

Ben B 12-05-2013 11:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top banana (Post 35570916)

Also another poster sent me a link which confirms Sky Sports 1 and 2 are not available on BT You View - only BT Vision.

Not even on Vision as I found out earlier in this thread as it would appear the Sky Sports feeds are being replaced with BT Sports

harry_hitch 12-05-2013 11:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by BexTech (Post 35570782)

Fair enough, but the more people continue to pay, the more Sky will keep paying over the odds (if required), and will continue to charge as much as they do. Sky spent far too much money on the football this time round. It's all well and good complaining about how unfair it is (and I agree it is unfair) but you have the power to do something about it.
Besides, what is to say that Sky would not be charging more if they had a monopoly on it?

tvtimes 12-05-2013 12:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top banana (Post 35570916)
Nobody knows what VM will do. If they rolled it into an other package it wouldn't be a £12 hit as they already pay x to ESPN - rumour is £6, so it will be a £6 hit or less, depending on the commercials they can agree. It's also Liberty Global as of 1st week in June - hence the delay, however they may choose to pay whatever

Also another poster sent me a link which confirms Sky Sports 1 and 2 are not available on BT You View - only BT Vision. There's no way my wife would move to that as its very limited and you would need a 2nd line to get services in another room.

If BT want the full subscription amount (which I imagine they will) then VM would take a minimum of a £12 hit.

BT sports and the old ESPN as two different kettle of fish. ESPN needed VM's business to survive as their £10 subscription they charged wasn't seeing a lot of people take them up on their channel. They didn't have an infrastructure or existing customers they could sell/promote to.

Bt is different. It can offset it's cost by offering attractive deals to retain possible defectors therefore reducing churn and boosting profits and they can acquire new customers.

I know what you're saying, Multiroom would be an issue for me too. But apparently bt sport customers will be able to stream on two devices at the same time.

---------- Post added at 12:27 ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top banana (Post 35570927)
Yes that does seem the best approach if you are into sports

---------- Post added at 11:30 ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 ----------

There have been a lot of comments re VM not carrying BT sports, myself included. However (I posted this on the What Liberty Global will bring Topic) its clear that Sports is a large part of their portfolio

http://www.chellomedia.com/index.php?r=channels/index

Sport1 is part of our Sport TV Network covering the Netherlands, Hungary, Czech Republic, Slovakia and Romania. In the Netherlands it is the number one premium sports channel available on subscription and carries the best international and Dutch sports, including the UEFA Champions League, F.A. Premier League, Italy's Serie A, Spain's La Liga, top international golf and tennis tournaments and MotoGP. Sport1 is also Central Europe's most popular sports channel, broadcast through local language feeds, each channel broadcasting the very best in international and local sports, including top international football, basketball, and ice hockey and the NFL.

Those sports you mention are all under contracts for broadcasting rights by Sky sports, Bt sports, Eurosport etc. Liberty couldn't add those channels even if they wanted to.

---------- Post added at 12:29 ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by harry_hitch (Post 35570944)
Fair enough, but the more people continue to pay, the more Sky will keep paying over the odds (if required), and will continue to charge as much as they do. Sky spent far too much money on the football this time round. It's all well and good complaining about how unfair it is (and I agree it is unfair) but you have the power to do something about it.
Besides, what is to say that Sky would not be charging more if they had a monopoly on it?

They've had the monopoly for years and ever year it's become more and more expensive without any real competition.

Fair play to BT though, at least they are trying to make it more affordable. Just wish they could some how give it to us VM customers.

Mr Banana 12-05-2013 12:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by tvtimes (Post 35570962)
If BT want the full subscription amount (which I imagine they will) then VM would take a minimum of a £12 hit.

BT sports and the old ESPN as two different kettle of fish. ESPN needed VM's business to survive as their £10 subscription they charged wasn't seeing a lot of people take them up on their channel. They didn't have an infrastructure or existing customers they could sell/promote to.

Bt is different. It can offset it's cost by offering attractive deals to retain possible defectors therefore reducing churn and boosting profits and they can acquire new customers.

I know what you're saying, Multiroom would be an issue for me too. But apparently bt sport customers will be able to stream on two devices at the same time.

What I mean is that the ESPN contracts will end so VM may save £6 per sub, hence a further £6 hit if they give BT Sports free.

The post re Liberty is not about them getting into sports rights - they have already said they won't - the point was that sports is part of their portfolio so they may push to get BT Sport on VM

---------- Post added at 12:27 ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 ----------

Those sports you mention are all under contracts for broadcasting rights by Sky sports, Bt sports, Eurosport etc. Liberty couldn't add those channels even if they wanted to.

---------- Post added at 12:29 ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 ----------

They've had the monopoly for years and ever year it's become more and more expensive without any real competition.

Fair play to BT though, at least they are trying to make it more affordable. Just wish they could some how give it to us VM customers.

BexTech 12-05-2013 12:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by tvtimes (Post 35570846)
That's called inflation and you know it. Everyone's prices go up.
If you were a Sky customer and you were paying £10 a month for ESPN. Plus whatever for bb, you can now move that BB to BT and get a much better equivalent to ESPN for free.

How is that more?

It was way more than inflation. Was because more money has had to be bid to secure rights.

tvtimes 12-05-2013 12:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by BexTech (Post 35570974)
It was way more than inflation. Was because more money has had to be bid to secure rights.

It was 3% which is their normal annual price increase. So no it wasn't.

Risco 12-05-2013 13:41

Sky get 116 football matches a season, have 21 years experience and the best commentating team. More than enough for me, I won't be subscribing to BT.

Doug P 12-05-2013 13:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Risco (Post 35571005)
Sky get 116 football matches a season, have 21 years experience and the best commentating team. More than enough for me, I won't be subscribing to BT.

Post of the day! I shall miss the Italian football and some of the rugby union, but no way am I paying extra or dumping Sky Sports whilst can afford it so unlucky BT....

denphone 12-05-2013 14:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Risco (Post 35571005)

It will be like David versus Goliath and Goliath will win this comfortably with one hand tied behind his back when it gets down to the nitty gritty.

OLD BOY 12-05-2013 15:10

Quote:

As a forum contributor, I think it is incumbent upon me and all who post on here to offer advice to people who may be about to make a mistake.

In that spirit, I would advise you, tvtimes, just to hold on for a few months and see what VM come up with. It's no good second guessing this, you just don't know what is going to come of this.

When VM changes hands, the new owners will want a strong sports content and as has been pointed out earlier in this thread, the evidence is out there in terms of the sports content on the European cable systems they own.

In my view, VM will be offering BT Sports at a reduced price, and I wouldn't rule out a free offering either. That may involve a financial hit for VM but I don't think it would be wise to give the impression to potential or existing subscribers that there would in future be a poor sports offering on the platform.

So my advice, tvtimes, is to wait until you have all the information before taking a decision. The new channels don't start until August, so you have plenty of time!

---------- Post added at 15:10 ---------- Previous post was at 15:08 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin1234 (Post 35570924)

Ditto my response above. Why the big hurry? You cannot judge whether it is better to go via Sky or BT until you know what VM will do. Ah well, it's your money and your choice.

tvtimes 12-05-2013 16:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug P (Post 35571016)
Post of the day! I shall miss the Italian football and some of the rugby union, but no way am I paying extra or dumping Sky Sports whilst can afford it so unlucky BT....

Oh my days. BT do not expect anyone to dump Sky sports or Sky tv.

---------- Post added at 16:44 ---------- Previous post was at 16:41 ----------

I personally am fed up with VM's coming soon attitude that they have had for years. We are always the last to get anything. I love sport and find VM expensive. I have never been able to justify spending so much money on Sky sports so this free offer looks like my only alternative.

Doug P 12-05-2013 19:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by tvtimes (Post 35571120)
Oh my days. BT do not expect anyone to dump Sky sports or Sky tv.

---------- Post added at 16:44 ---------- Previous post was at 16:41 ----------

I wasn't talking about BT or their expectations. That is a matter for them. I was merely saying I will not dump Sky Sports for BT as I cannot afford both...

Mad Max 12-05-2013 23:38

Quote:

So my advice, tvtimes, is to wait until you have all the information before taking a decision. The new channels don't start until August, so you have plenty of time!

This.........:tu:

muppetman11 13-05-2013 11:42

I'm more gutted about the loss of ESPN America , sure the channel had lost some key rights for instance the NHL however it offered us real US Sports fans somewhere to enjoy games. Will BT dedicate as much time to US Sport with only one ESPN branded channel with non US sport presumably aired on it also ?

nstokes 13-05-2013 12:16

I agree MM. I too will miss ESPN America. Ill miss the Basketball mainly

Arthurgray50@blu 13-05-2013 12:22

I think what a major amount of customers don't realise is that this is VM all over. They don't give out any information to its customers at all, and l think this is wrong.

We have a major company here, yes, they may have been taken over by Liberty Global, BUT it is still VM controlling the shots.

WE, the customer should know what is happening as we are debating what will happen etc. What VM should be doing is exactly what Sky are doing, and that is Advertising the channels NOW.

This is where you are going to get the customer basis, Yes, BT are making a big advertising impact to attract customers, along with Sky. What is VM doing - ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING to settle there basis down.

Ben B 13-05-2013 12:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 35571372)
They don't give out any information to its customers at all, and l think this is wrong.

They don't give information out about carriage negotiations until the deal is done and is launching on the platform, it would be stupid for them to do so as customers wouldn't be happy if at one minute they were saying we're getting these channels and then the next minute we're not. They have said

Quote:

we’re talking to BT about how we can make the forthcoming BT Sport package available to you.
and set up the virginmedia.com/btsport page which personally I think is more than they need to. It doesn't launch for a couple of months so it's not as if it's a week before launch and they've not said anything. They're in negotiations with UPC Ireland, also owned by LG so I might be wrong in thinking so but if they get it we'll get it. It's simply a case of wait and see, which is fine if you're a patient person

denphone 13-05-2013 13:25

BT's 'free' Premier League offer is unlikely to trouble Sky.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013...ier-league-sky

colin25 13-05-2013 13:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35571400)
BT's 'free' Premier League offer is unlikely to trouble Sky.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013...ier-league-sky

What I have been saying, this is about broadband, hence why i see it troubling Virgin.

But we should wait and see.

And on a sad note, I can't get BT infinity until Sept, so the offer isn't any good to me :(

Doug P 13-05-2013 13:42

It may be true, but I have heard some horrid reports about BT broadband. My VM broadband has been excellent in the two years I have had it and I love the telly. BT can go and take the proverbial running jump as far as I am concerned! :-)

tvtimes 13-05-2013 13:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin25 (Post 35571401)
What I have been saying, this is about broadband, hence why i see it troubling Virgin.

And on a sad note, I can't get BT infinity until Sept, so the offer isn't any good to me :(

I don't think it will trouble Virgin on the same level as it would Sky.

VM offer a quadraple play package where fibre broadband comes as standard. Those customers not in an Infinity area are unlikely to give up their superfast speeds for BT ADSL bb.

Sky however, use BT's network, so if a Sky bb customers moves they can expect the same speed minimum from BT.
They also wouldn't need to give up their tv package and can just add this channel with one simple call to BT or by going on the website Bt has provided.
Moving their bb to BT I imagine would be quite a simple transfer compared to moving from one network to the other.

The deal is a lot more attractive to Sky customers than it would be to VM's.

BT originally said it planned to operate across all platforms available but that has now been changed to just BT VISION/Youview and Sky - plus apps and online streaming.
They won't allow it on Freeview even with subscription because they want to drive bb sales. They allow it on Sky because they want to attract existing BB customers on Sky and also Sky has open access, so BT retain control of their channels without giving up any of their USP to another platform to capitalise on.

colin25 13-05-2013 13:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by tvtimes (Post 35571405)
I don't think it will trouble Virgin on the same level as it would Sky.

VM offer a quadraple play package where fibre broadband comes as standard. Those customers not in an Infinity area are unlikely to give up their superfast speeds for BT ADSL bb.

Sky however, use BT's network, so if a Sky bb customers moves they can expect the same speed minimum from BT.
They also wouldn't need to give up their tv package and can just add this channel with one simple call to BT or by going on the website Bt has provided.
Moving their bb to BT I imagine would be quite a simple transfer compared to moving from one network to the other.

The deal is a lot more attractive to Sky customers than it would be to VM's.

BT originally said it planned to operate across all platforms available but that has now been changed to just BT VISION/Youview and Sky - plus apps and online streaming.
They won't allow it on Freeview even with subscription because they want to drive bb sales. They allow it on Sky because they want to attract existing BB customers on Sky and also Sky has open access, so BT retain control of their channels without giving up any of their USP to another platform to capitalise on.

Sorry, I meant where infinity is available to Virgins

denphone 13-05-2013 13:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin25 (Post 35571401)

Sorry Colin but do not see it causing as many problems as you think for Virgin and ain't you doomsayers been down this road many times before in the last few years.:waving: ;)

colin25 13-05-2013 14:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35571409)
Sorry Colin but do not see it causing as many problems as you think for Virgin and ain't you doomsayers been down this road many times before in the last few years.:waving: ;)

no. BT never made this offer before, so I never said it before

denphone 13-05-2013 14:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin25 (Post 35571410)

Wriggling out as usual back to your masters fiefdom l see.;)

colin25 13-05-2013 14:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35571425)
Wriggling out as usual back to your masters fiefdom l see.;)

Nope, factual statement. Happy for you to look at previous posts. :)

Mr Banana 13-05-2013 15:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin25 (Post 35571410)

I think the impact will be minimal. VM have about 600k sports subscribers, so they will be the most likely to switch.

However both Tivo and particulaly customers with 4 products are very sticky for VM.

Added to that are some people who just love the brand.

So minimal impact is my personal view.

Arthurgray50@blu 13-05-2013 15:44

Doesn't all services ie Sky, TalkTalk and VM ALL use BT cables and telecommincations system ie exchanges.

So, l cannot see any problems.

johnasimmons 13-05-2013 15:44

Everyone is speculating the worst - no offical comment has been made about BT Sports not being on VM

Media Boy UK 13-05-2013 15:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnasimmons (Post 35571451)
Everyone is speculating the worst - no offical comment has been made about BT Sports not being on VM

Been told by insiders to keep an eye on https://customer.virginmedia.com/for...art=Tickles_18 for all the latest info.

johnasimmons 13-05-2013 15:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 35571452)
Been told by insiders to keep an eye on https://customer.virginmedia.com/for...art=Tickles_18 for all the latest info.

Likewise, I signed up to the link at the start of the month :)

denphone 13-05-2013 15:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnasimmons (Post 35571451)

Well l for one remain adamant it will arrive on VM.

Henkesghost 13-05-2013 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35571462)

Don't think there can be much doubt about that Den. It's the price given what XL customers are losing that interests/worries me :(

alwaysabear 13-05-2013 16:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35571462)

I have to agree Den , I am sure it will be on VM its just how much we will have to pay .

Mr Banana 13-05-2013 16:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 35571372)
I think what a major amount of customers don't realise is that this is VM all over. They don't give out any information to its customers at all, and l think this is wrong.

We have a major company here, yes, they may have been taken over by Liberty Global, BUT it is still VM controlling the shots.

WE, the customer should know what is happening as we are debating what will happen etc. What VM should be doing is exactly what Sky are doing, and that is Advertising the channels NOW.

This is where you are going to get the customer basis, Yes, BT are making a big advertising impact to attract customers, along with Sky. What is VM doing - ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING to settle there basis down.

Arthur there is a link that others have posted here - https://customer.virginmedia.com/for...art=Tickles_18

johnasimmons 13-05-2013 16:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysabear (Post 35571464)
I have to agree Den , I am sure it will be on VM its just how much we will have to pay .

I also agree - but it's doubtful it will be free on the XL Package like ESPN was, this time it will cost extra...

Henkesghost 13-05-2013 16:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnasimmons (Post 35571468)
I also agree - but it's doubtful it will be free on the XL Package like ESPN was, this time it will cost extra...

I think it would be unacceptable if we had to pay full whack given we're losing ESPN :mad:

johnasimmons 13-05-2013 16:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henkesghost (Post 35571470)
I think it would be unacceptable if we had to pay full whack given we're losing ESPN :mad:

The XL Package might go down a bit in price when ESPN leaves us...

paultrademark 13-05-2013 16:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnasimmons (Post 35571472)

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2013/05/14.gif

Media Boy UK 13-05-2013 16:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnasimmons (Post 35571472)

You have got http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wrp81...F3185A4107BEFB

But we see Virgin reusing some of the money save to get more channels online starting in August.

johnasimmons 13-05-2013 16:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 35571474)

Ha Ha - good one MB :)

BexTech 13-05-2013 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 35571450)
Doesn't all services ie Sky, TalkTalk and VM ALL use BT cables and telecommincations system ie exchanges.

So, l cannot see any problems.

VM's Cable service don't use BT Cables or exchanges.

johnasimmons 13-05-2013 16:21

Quote:

But we see Virgin reusing some of the money saved to get more channels online starting in August.

Good point

denphone 13-05-2013 16:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henkesghost (Post 35571470)

Its only my humble opinion but l am sure VM will do a deal that's good for their customers.

---------- Post added at 16:24 ---------- Previous post was at 16:23 ----------

Quote:

You have got http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wrp81...F3185A4107BEFB

But we see Virgin reusing some of the money save to get more channels online starting in August.

Sky Atlantic anybody.:D