Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=14837)

dr wadd 22-08-2004 13:40

Re: [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades

So much for the post-code checker.

Just phoned up technical support who confirmed that as I had found the service in my area should have been upgraded to 1.5Mb, as it had been at the beginning of August for a couple of weeks. They reset to modem on the system and now it is back to 1.5Mb, I hope this isn`t going to keep happening.

MatTman 22-08-2004 16:00

where is the POSTCODE checker?????

dr wadd 22-08-2004 16:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by MatTman
where is the POSTCODE checker?????

Here you go

http://www.ntlworld.com/data-feeds/e...de/checker.php

Grr, just had to get on to tech support again, they managed to get the speed back up to 1.5Mb, but they set the wrong config so I didn`t get the XBox service.

tnbain 22-08-2004 22:51

I live in scotland,and my area is pa34rs the checker says i received my upgrade but i havent yet and ntl give no information on the upgrades or anything.Does anyone know if some areas maybe just cant get it or if ntl are wrong or what cos i read some of the older posts that say the english areas had similar problems to this,Im on 600k pc modem!....cheers.

RazorD 22-08-2004 22:54

Sun, 22 Aug 2004 21:49:17 UTC
1st 128K took 1078 ms = 121588 Bytes/sec = approx 1012 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 1078 ms = 121588 Bytes/sec = approx 1012 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 1078 ms = 121588 Bytes/sec = approx 1012 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 1063 ms = 123304 Bytes/sec = approx 1026 kbits/sec

I guess that means im still on 1mb?

Ramrod 22-08-2004 22:59

Yup.......

dr wadd 22-08-2004 23:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by tnbain
I live in scotland,and my area is pa34rs the checker says i received my upgrade but i havent yet and ntl give no information on the upgrades or anything.Does anyone know if some areas maybe just cant get it or if ntl are wrong or what cos i read some of the older posts that say the english areas had similar problems to this,Im on 600k pc modem!....cheers.

The postcode checker seems to have the accuracy of Michael Fish predicting hurricanes ;)

Nidge 23-08-2004 09:18

Any NTL bods out there know when NG18, NG19 and NG20 are going to be upgraded?

squiggs1982 24-08-2004 01:18

Eek! PA4 (Renfrew - Scotland) area not due for upgrade until November! I'll have moved by then! :-( Anybody know how much of Peterborough is NTL enabled? Here was me thinking it was just a matter of flipping a switch :(

Chrysalis 24-08-2004 01:39

they could in theory upgrade you but it seems ntl are been conservative and wont upgrade area's until they are sure there is spare capacity after the upgrade. Good news is that the postcode checker seems inaccurate so far so you might well not be waiting until november.

LostintheNW 24-08-2004 08:33

Anyone have any idea when us poor STB users will get the 1.5mb upgrade??? my area was done in August according to the postcode checker, and the whole of Manchester seems to have been done! Getting a little annoyed now at paying for a slower service compared to most other people in my area! Surley they can at least switch on the upgrade for areas that have been done? and when is this bl00dy cut off date where those who haven't had thier STB's swapped drop down to the 750k service until they arrange for it to be done?

nmcog 24-08-2004 12:16

It says done for my postcode too (Blackburn) but I'm still on 1Mbit. It said October in the letter I got.

Kneebs 24-08-2004 12:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostintheNW
Anyone have any idea when us poor STB users will get the 1.5mb upgrade??? my area was done in August according to the postcode checker, and the whole of Manchester seems to have been done! Getting a little annoyed now at paying for a slower service compared to most other people in my area! Surley they can at least switch on the upgrade for areas that have been done? and when is this bl00dy cut off date where those who haven't had thier STB's swapped drop down to the 750k service until they arrange for it to be done?

Well, I had a bit of computer bother last night, and after sorting that out, just after 1 o'clock, the STB just rebooted itself. Ooooh, I thought...checked but still on 1meg. After checking the event log on the STB, it showed an 'abnormal reboot' timed at 00:00 on 00/00/0000, right after a message about no signal !! Bugger

Stuart 24-08-2004 12:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by nmcog
It says done for my postcode too (Blackburn) but I'm still on 1Mbit. It said October in the letter I got.

Are you going via STB or Cable Modem? If you are going via STB, you will have to wait until NTL have replaced all the Pace STBs that are on the 1 Mbit service.

Like me..:(

Dessimat0r 24-08-2004 18:12

Bill C came to have a look at my cable today, and he did find a problem - apparently, the cable was too thin from the area box to the cable box, so it going to be re-pulled Wednesday or Thursday.

He also swapped the box over to a different one, but I'm still getting packet loss when using P2P apps. Hopefully it will all be fixed after the re-pull ;)

Nidge 24-08-2004 18:58

Just been upgraded this afternoon. 1.5meg I'm a happy bunny. :D :D :D :D

Kneebs 24-08-2004 23:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dessimat0r
but I'm still getting packet loss when using P2P apps. Hopefully it will all be fixed after the re-pull ;)

Are you using a samsung STB by any chance ? If so, I doubt a re-pull will solve your packet loss problem ;)

Dessimat0r 25-08-2004 00:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kneebs
Are you using a samsung STB by any chance ? If so, I doubt a re-pull will solve your packet loss problem ;)

Well, i am getting a far too low signal level, and Bill C said that it was because the cable was too thin.. I think he knows his stuff ;)

Kneebs 25-08-2004 10:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dessimat0r
Well, i am getting a far too low signal level, and Bill C said that it was because the cable was too thin.. I think he knows his stuff ;)

I'm not doubting that fact - the repull will likely solve your low signal level. I just dont think it'll solve your packet loss issue. :(

Ramrod 25-08-2004 10:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nidge
Just been upgraded this afternoon. 1.5meg I'm a happy bunny. :D :D :D :D

Congrats m8 :tu:
Are you on a stb or modem?

MatTman 25-08-2004 10:10

the packet loss is most likely in the UBR, somewhere along the way your data is passing through some Dodgy cabling and thats why your losing packets, its definatly not the samsung box. :erm:

Kneebs 25-08-2004 10:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by MatTman
the packet loss is most likely in the UBR, somewhere along the way your data is passing through some Dodgy cabling and thats why your losing packets, its definatly not the samsung box. :erm:

Well, NTL are investigating the problem of packet loss through samsung STBs, so you make your own mind up ;)

MatTman 25-08-2004 10:26

i had a few problems wih my STB the other day wih Dropping connection, but all is fine now (touch wood) But never since the install have i had even 1% packet loss, I really Doubt the Samsung box's are the problem unless the Configurations are different in your area, Mine runs great.

Does your area have Weak Signal strength? (that could be a possible cause)

Nidge 25-08-2004 16:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramrod
Congrats m8 :tu:
Are you on a stb or modem?

Modem mate

Psychotext 25-08-2004 16:37

I'm starting to feel like the only 1mb SACM customer that hasn't been upgraded yet. :(

Chris W 25-08-2004 16:42

Quote:

Well, NTL are investigating the problem of packet loss through samsung STBs, so you make your own mind up ;)

they are...? may i ask where you got your information from?

Bill C 25-08-2004 16:47

Quote:

To make a point here.

I was there you were not.
His cable is old very old.
his house is further away from the cab than it should be for that type of cable.

And where in NTL technical services do you work.

I have a samsung settop. I use p2p including the software that this customer is using. I do not get packet loss and i get very good speeds thank you very much NTL :).

Ramrod 25-08-2004 16:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nidge
Modem mate

Thats why you have your speed upgrade.....

Bill C 25-08-2004 16:49

Quote:

Bull bull and more bull.

Bill C 25-08-2004 18:35

Quote:

To also make a point here....

Now, normally I wouldn't quote stuff from PM or personal email, but I will when I'm being called a liar...

:rolleyes:

I did not call you a liar show me where i called you a liar. As for packet loss i was told today that there was no problems with the samsung and packet loss. This was from a member of staff involved in the testing of the samsung. I asked after there was user's complaining of packet loss on here.I have been miss informed if that is what bbking as told you. I have carried out testing myself here in warrington and i do not get packet loss must admit that my settop is one of the first. I will ask further questions when i get in the office.

Kneebs 25-08-2004 18:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill C
I did not call you a liar show me where i called you a liar.

Err, i think it was this bit here....

Quote:

Quote:

Bull bull and more bull.

Sorry,you weren't actually calling me a liar - you were implying what I said was lies. You should be a politician, or work for NTL. Oh wait, you do :D

Mick 25-08-2004 18:47

Enough of this please. Kneebs have you asked BBKing if you can publicly display his PM to you?

Bill C 25-08-2004 18:49

Quote:

Err, i think it was this bit here....

Sorry,you weren't actually calling me a liar - you were implying what I said was lies. You should be a politician, or work for NTL. Oh wait, you do :D

Well i will ask more questions tomorrow and keep asking till i get a someone to answer.

Bill C 25-08-2004 18:54

Quote:

Well i will ask more questions tomorrow and keep asking till i get a someone to answer.

And it looks like i was red repped :rolleyes:

Kneebs 25-08-2004 18:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick
Enough of this please. Kneebs have you asked BBKing if you can publicly display his PM to you?

No, he isn't around to ask. I did say I normally wouldnt post details from PMs / emails, however in this case, it was warranted.

Its not like he's asked me to keep quiet or anything, however edit my post if you feel the need.

Kneebs 25-08-2004 19:04

Quote:

And it looks like i was red repped :rolleyes:

Not by me you weren't. I did feel like red repping you however, but I didn't. Now thats the end of it from me..

Mick 25-08-2004 19:06

Quote:

No, he isn't around to ask. I did say I normally wouldnt post details from PMs / emails, however in this case, it was warranted.

It's never warranted to post contents of PM's on the site, by all means name your source (if your source doesn't mind it) but not post all the contents without express permission from the author of the PM.

Anyway lets not drift off-topic here...

Bill C 25-08-2004 19:12

Quote:

Not by me you weren't. I did feel like red repping you however, but I didn't. Now thats the end of it from me..

No it was not you :)

Mick 25-08-2004 19:17

Quote:

No it was not you :)

Just had a look at your account Bill and its been left by someone who is unable to give or take rep points just yet, so it should be showing as grey and its not a red rep as such.

Anyway lets not drift off-topic here... :notopic: :cool:

Bill C 25-08-2004 19:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick
Just had a look at your account Bill and its been left by someone who is unable to give or take rep points just yet, so it should be showing as grey and its not a red rep as such.

Anyway lets not drift off-topic here... :notopic: :cool:

You learn something new everyday:)

Florence 25-08-2004 19:39

Quote:

Its not like he's asked me to keep quiet or anything, however edit my post if you feel the need.

Lets hope his bosses feel its warranted also he could be in trouble. I certainly don't want to be around when BBK sees this.

BBKing 25-08-2004 19:55

Quote:

Unless PM means Public Message instead of Private Message, then no. Don't expect any more help from this quarter if you carry on in this cavalier manner. Luckily my boss is quite forgiving.

As it happens, my information came from a chance conversation with the same gentleman Kneebs has been talking to, so that's circular intelligence backing itself up - in fact I suggested he talk to Bill C whose opinion I trust. Still want to see some more evidence, but I have perfect licence to stop helping in my spare time if people bruit my private conversations about and devote my attention to what I mainly get paid to do.

Bill C 25-08-2004 20:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBKing
Unless PM means Public Message instead of Private Message, then no. Don't expect any more help from this quarter if you carry on in this cavalier manner. Luckily my boss is quite forgiving.

As it happens, my information came from a chance conversation with the same gentleman Kneebs has been talking to, so that's circular intelligence backing itself up - in fact I suggested he talk to Bill C whose opinion I trust. Still want to see some more evidence, but I have perfect licence to stop helping in my spare time if people bruit my private conversations about and devote my attention to what I mainly get paid to do.

If you want a chat tomorrow feel free you know my number :). :p:

peacedude2k4 25-08-2004 23:28

Thu, 26 Aug 2004 22:27:15 UTC
1st 128K took 516 ms = 254016 Bytes/sec = approx 2113 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 718 ms = 182552 Bytes/sec = approx 1519 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 688 ms = 190512 Bytes/sec = approx 1585 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 734 ms = 178572 Bytes/sec = approx 1486 kbits/sec

To repeat this test from the source server click here.

To repeat this test from a web proxy cache (if present):

- in Internet Explorer for Windows:
- click "Back"
- pull down "Tools" menu, select "Internet Options"
- click on button "Delete Files..."
- click OK, click OK
- click "Forward"

- in Netscape:
- click "Back"
- pull down "Edit" menu, select "Preferences"
- expand "Advanced"
- select "Cache"
- click on button "Clear Disk Cache"
- click OK
- click "Forward"

Connection and speed looking better then earlier today good work ntl :tu:

Scotianet 26-08-2004 18:10

Thu, 26 Aug 2004 17:08:27 UTC
1st 128K took 1812 ms = 72336 Bytes/sec = approx 602 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 1829 ms = 71663 Bytes/sec = approx 596 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 1937 ms = 67668 Bytes/sec = approx 563 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 1703 ms = 76965 Bytes/sec = approx 640 kbits/sec

Looks like NTL are going to wait until the 31st August before they update my SACM 600K to 750K.... Does anyone know if it is to do with me having bought my SACM and then getting a discounted rate for my service...??

webvictim 27-08-2004 00:19

1st 128K took 1593 ms = 82280 Bytes/sec = approx 685 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 1453 ms = 90208 Bytes/sec = approx 751 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 1469 ms = 89225 Bytes/sec = approx 742 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 1625 ms = 80660 Bytes/sec = approx 671 kbits/sec

Looks like mine's been done. Not very consistent, but I think my brother was probably using it too.

BIGZIPZ 30-08-2004 13:08

This is from an IRC channel I'm in:

<BFM|Aweh> The speed increase to 1.5meg has not yet taken place, your set top box has just been changed in preperation for when it does take place. At present you will still be on 1meg
<BFM|Aweh> The upgrade to 1.5meg will not take place until October 1st at the earliest, you should have been advised of this.
<BFM|Aweh> though i am confused as you say new customers are on it already, so im working on it
<BIGZIPZ> heh
<BIGZIPZ> email ?
<BFM|Aweh> no broadband medic, im in live chat with techie :)

LostintheNW 30-08-2004 13:10

October 1st?!?!? well they can get stuffed, I am not paying for a service that in theory no longer exists, and also paying the same as others who are now on the 1.5meg service. Time to shufty to ADSL I think as I know getting a SACM installed is going to be one nightmare

Kneebs 30-08-2004 13:14

Quote:

October 1st?!?!? well they can get stuffed, I am not paying for a service that in theory no longer exists, and also paying the same as others who are now on the 1.5meg service. Time to shufty to ADSL I think as I know getting a SACM installed is going to be one nightmare

Well, I'm getting a SACM installed on Wednesday, although this is beacuse I'm having probs with packet loss, download dropping (but still able to upload) and other probs with the samsung

LostintheNW 30-08-2004 13:20

When I used to have problems in the past with the BB locking the stb they still refused to install me a SACM, have to say this samsung box is a pile of crap, the TV jitters all the time and I have post rs errors all the time, never had those on the pace boxes. Is there something wrong with the samsung boxes as everyone seems to be having problems with them.

BIGZIPZ 30-08-2004 13:20

October 1st at the earliest. Wasn't there an advert somewhere that said they aimed to get 90% of the network upgraded by November?

People we could be in for a long wait :/

LostintheNW 30-08-2004 13:26

But NTL said that if people hadn't had their boxes swapped by a certain date then they would downgrade the users. My area has been done since the upgrades first started (I live in Manchester) I dont see why I should have to wait till October for the upgrade, why announce some bl00dy upgrade but not be prepared for it. Telewest had theirs done within a couple of weeks!

BIGZIPZ 30-08-2004 13:31

Interesting to check the press releases, this was actually announced in April if my memory serves right.

The frustrating thing for me is, people on my street are getting 50% more bang for their buck, because they don't take up NTL tv and have a Cable Modem. And with no official announcement on when us STB'er will actually get our speeds, I do feel a tiny bit bitter.

LostintheNW 30-08-2004 13:40

Its just another poorly thought out idea by NTL, they decided to up the speed as Telewest had, but Telewest were ready and prepared. I think its unfair that we have to pay the same as those on the 1.5meg service all because we dont just take the BB from them

BIGZIPZ 30-08-2004 13:48

We actually give them more business too, as we take the Digtal TV from them.

webvictim 30-08-2004 14:49

Three words - live with it. There's nothing you can do about the fact that your STB's haven't yet been upgraded and your service won't get faster for another month.

Think about it this way - if STB users had been upgraded first, then all the SACM users (of which there are many more than there are STB users) would say "This isn't fair, I'm paying for a service I don't get, ragh ragh ragh" in exactly the same way as you are. In fact you're only paying £2/month more because NTL were going to put the subscription fee up anyway (or at least that's their official line on it)

Telewest are a much better company by the looks of it, not only did they manage to get all the upgrades done quickly but they also offer a 2mbit (now 3mbit) service, something that NTL is very obviously lacking.

LostintheNW 30-08-2004 14:55

Live with it? take it you have been upgraded then....sorry but I don't see why I should, if they are going to do this they should upgrade all users at once, and in my area there are more STB users due to the fact that SACMs have not been available that long! Oh and I am paying £37.99 for a 1meg service while others are paying the same for a 1.5meg service....is that fair?

lima 30-08-2004 15:37

1st post here - be gentle - I'm no technical wizard (though thank the lord I knew how to get the connection up and running again because the "installer" ( a subby no doubt - not NTL who have always sent very helpful peeps) was in - swap the box - out in 5 mins - didn't "know" anything about the PC connection - lol...;)

I've spent the last hour and a half reading through the 84 pages of posts on the BB speed upgrade and I'm still confused :D

Have been on the 1Mb STB service for about 10 months and got the letter a while ago re upgrades. Got a call to say an engineer would come out today and he arrived about 1pm. I now have a new shiny Samsung replacing the old Pace box.

However, the speed tests show that I'm still on the 1Mb speeds :confused::

Getting circa 1005kbps, 985kbps, 978kbps etc. results from the various tests out there.

Now, if I've read this correctly (and boy, there were a LOT of posts!) I won't upgrade until 1st October?? - even though I now have the new box? Is this right? Or is it to do with the "service outage" until 1st September where it says "no changes can be made to your service"?

BTW, have rebooted it a couple of times - no change.

In the Harrogate area north of Leeds if that helps.

Thanks in advance.

Kneebs 30-08-2004 15:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by lima
1st post here - be gentle - I'm no technical wizard (though thank the lord I knew how to get the connection up and running again because the "installer" ( a subby no doubt - not NTL who have always sent very helpful peeps) was in - swap the box - out in 5 mins - didn't "know" anything about the PC connection - lol...;)

I've spent the last hour and a half reading through the 84 pages of posts on the BB speed upgrade and I'm still confused :D

Have been on the 1Mb STB service for about 10 months and got the letter a while ago re upgrades. Got a call to say an engineer would come out today and he arrived about 1pm. I now have a new shiny Samsung replacing the old Pace box.

However, the speed tests show that I'm still on the 1Mb speeds :confused::

Getting circa 1005kbps, 985kbps, 978kbps etc. results from the various tests out there.

Now, if I've read this correctly (and boy, there were a LOT of posts!) I won't upgrade until 1st October?? - even though I now have the new box? Is this right? Or is it to do with the "service outage" until 1st September where it says "no changes can be made to your service"?

BTW, have rebooted it a couple of times - no change.

Thanks in advance.

I'm afraid so - Its been said that ALL STB users will be upgraded in one foul swoop - meaning we have to wait untill everyones been swapped to the new samsungs. NTL said in the letter that if people couldnt arrange an appointment to be swapped over, then they would be lowered to the 750K service, then the 1meg STBers who have the new box could be upgraded. No-one had said (for definate) what this cut-off date will be, however rumours were the 1st of Sept, but someone today reckons the 1st of Oct, so who knows....

You had your box swapped on a bank holiday ? :Yikes:

lima 30-08-2004 15:57

Thanks for the quick reply - phew, at least its nothing I've done - that's a relief. :)

Ah well, I suppose we'll have to wait and keep everything crossed then - I see that the price increased already though...:)

Yes, I had my box swapped on a Bank Holiday Monday. When they rang to make the appointment last week I said "you do realise Monday is a Bank Holiday". The guy that arrived was in a rush, and that's an understatment - definitely a subby on £/per box done. He swapped my Pace box while simultaneously holding a phne call with his boss and like I said, just rushed off. No "set up" of the new box etc. save the TV channels and PIN number. When I said "what about the internet" he said "oh, just switch the PC on once the signal comes through and it'll work"......yeah right... :erm::D

Luckily I'd encountered the MAC address screens before but I hate to think what some normal non-technically minded customers are going through just restoring their "it was OK before" connections. Tech support will be very busy tomorrow!

Thanks again. I think I'll run a speed test once every couple of days to check.....going to be paranoid now :)

Kneebs 30-08-2004 15:59

When I had mine swapped, the contractor doing it was being paid £10 per box on a saturday, and £20 per box on a sunday. I dread to think what it is for a bank holiday !!

BIGZIPZ 30-08-2004 16:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by lima

Me too :)

Stop It 30-08-2004 17:03

Quote:

Live with it? take it you have been upgraded then....sorry but I don't see why I should, if they are going to do this they should upgrade all users at once, and in my area there are more STB users due to the fact that SACMs have not been available that long! Oh and I am paying £37.99 for a 1meg service while others are paying the same for a 1.5meg service....is that fair?

Perfectly fair, you are paying the price for the 1Mb service, the upgrade is free, The problem with a staggered update is that therwe will always be people moaning that they havent been done yet, it will be done (Oh and it isnt as simple as a switch on, there has been millions of pounds of upgrades to do this), either have patience or vote with your wallet, (Oh, and arent STB's suppost to have their upgrades starting from Sept 1st?)

BIGZIPZ 30-08-2004 17:16

Who knows..... I was hoping it was until I heard it from the horses mouth. Well Broadband Medic live chat with a techie anyway.

He was the one who said 1st October at the earliest.

Have heard various dates and rumours, but I guess no-one knows, different customer service people seem to say different dates and have varying degrees of knowledge about the whole thing.

LostintheNW 30-08-2004 17:40

How can it be perfectly fair? there are people who have had the upgrade and paying the same as me, would you pay £37.99 for a 1meg service or 1.5 meg service if it was available? And quite easy for me to vote with my wallet, NTL wont be impressed when they stop getting in the region of £150 a month from us, if this is how they treat long term customers then bye bye

Ignition 30-08-2004 18:01

Just to stick snout in while you're comparing ntl and Telewest, those Telewest customers who got their Internet through a Set Top Box that couldn't do 1.5Mbit... well you're dead right their upgrade wasn't delayed. They just didn't get one. At all.
As they are a much better company I guess you guys would have preferred that yes?
Would've been much cheaper for NTL than spending out on new boxes.

FWIW I understand the frustration, can you guys understand the NTL point of view as well though? Even just a little?

LostintheNW 30-08-2004 18:12

Yeah those Telewest customers who didnt get the upgrade can easily switch to a SACM though, not so easy on NTL, I always get told no you cannot have one in your area, yet many an engineer who has been out has said there is no problem with me getting one!

Anyways NTL might have spent a fortune on new boxes but they sure as hell are crap compared to the pace ones!

Chrysalis 30-08-2004 23:26

I dont understand why they rolling out these new STB's instead of cable modem's surely the latter is cheaper and more efficient.

Chris W 30-08-2004 23:28

Quote:

Yeah those Telewest customers who didnt get the upgrade can easily switch to a SACM though, not so easy on NTL, I always get told no you cannot have one in your area, yet many an engineer who has been out has said there is no problem with me getting one!

Anyways NTL might have spent a fortune on new boxes but they sure as hell are crap compared to the pace ones!

There are plenty of people in Manchester who use SACMs, and also plenty of people on this forum who have switched for STB to SACM.

LostintheNW 30-08-2004 23:45

I know there are people in the Manchester area who have swapped but when I have called in the past I have been told no you cant have one it goes through your STB, I am not bothered about getting one now anyway, as if this speed increase doesn't happen shortly its hello BT and hello ADSL, I don't play games online so not bothered about ping times, just as long as I can surf and download. For £37.99 a month I am sure I can pick myself up a nice fast connection.

Psychotext 30-08-2004 23:54

I've said it before, but it seems apt now. There are still people (Me) and areas that have SACM but haven't had their service upgraded yet. Mine currently says September on the postcode checker, but no idea if that will be accurate or not.

Chris W 30-08-2004 23:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psychotext
I've said it before, but it seems apt now. There are still people (Me) and areas that have SACM but haven't had their service upgraded yet. Mine currently says September on the postcode checker, but no idea if that will be accurate or not.

PM me your ip address/ mac address of your modem and i will check it for you on wednesday.

Reddevil63 31-08-2004 00:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psychotext

Same for me! :(

BBKing 31-08-2004 07:22

No one in a dual STB/SACM area should have a non-upgraded SACM.

Swapping STBs for SACMs is actually cheaper - registration should be straightforward, email etc. should still work without any effort and ntl get a Pace STB back. This is all based on the reasonable assumption that the Samsung is better than the Pace for broadband, which was the point of swapping in the first place.

Stuart 31-08-2004 09:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysalis
I dont understand why they rolling out these new STB's instead of cable modem's surely the latter is cheaper and more efficient.

Not everyone wants a SACM. Also, not everyone can justify having yet *another* box to their significant other. For instance, if NTL were to install a SACM instead of a new STB in my house, because of the way my network is wired (yes, I do have a home network system), then I would either have to have it under the TV (which would involve buying a new TV cabinet as the current one has no shelf space left) or re-wire the network. Both are something I don't really want to do.

With a Samsung STB, you also have the advantage of Interactive TV being far quicker and more reliable. Of course, there is always the downside that NTL haven't upgraded us 1 MB STB users yet, and don't seem to be showing any sign of when they will.

Maybe NTL should offer a choice?

Ignition 31-08-2004 11:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysalis

That makes two of us, however remember who we are talking about ;) I would have rather customers be given the choice which they wanted. O well!

yorkiex 31-08-2004 20:47

what do you think the upgrade to stbs

As part of the ongoing project to maintain and upgrade our cable network, there is a requirement to carry out work on components which may result in a loss of service for the duration.

On the morning of Tuesday 1st Sept between midnight and 6am, the following work will take place:-

ntlworld internet customers may experience difficulties sending and receiving E mail. This is due to essential maintenance on the ntlworld E mail servers.

Due to various network maintenance upgrades, Ntl broadband internet customers may experience loss of service in the Acton, Basford, Brighton, Broomhill, Cambridge, Johnstone, Greenock, Hatfield, Leeds, Newmarket, Poplar and Woking areas .

Also Ntl Broadband internet customers nationwide may experience a breif loss of service due to the ongoing speed upgrade programme.

On the morning of Wednesday 2nd Sept between midnight and 6am, the following work will take place:-

Due to various network maintenance upgrades, Ntl broadband internet customers may experience a loss of service in the Charminster, Grantham, Grimsby, Stafford, Shepshed, Swindon and Whitchurch areas.

Customers using the Ntlworld broadband service via a Set Top Box may experience a breif loss of service due to the ongoing speed upgrade programme.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience these planned works may cause.

got that of the servicestatus page

Paul 31-08-2004 21:08

Did it have all those blank lines on the SS page :erm:

BIGZIPZ 31-08-2004 21:13

Does Harrogate count as leeds? :D

madcap 31-08-2004 21:50

Quote:

got that of the servicestatus page
Cool could be us 1Mb STB'ers are going to start getting our upgrades on the 1st Sep as thought

Chrysalis 31-08-2004 21:50

yeah I agree customer's should have the choice but cable modems are a lot smaller then a STB and gives superior performance but if you have the pc near the tv and like a all in one box for tv and the net then fair enough.

yorkiex 31-08-2004 22:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M

sorry i just copied and pasted :)

Stop It 31-08-2004 22:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M

Well, you could have at least edited it for him.....:angel:

yorkiex 31-08-2004 23:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stop It
Well, you could have at least edited it for him.....:angel:

ok then im very very very very very very very sorry:o

APS 01-09-2004 12:12

If anyone is interested, our business cable modem (Samsung 140) was upgraded last night and is now flying at 1.5 MBits/sec.

APS

Psychotext 01-09-2004 12:38

Still stuck on 1mb with my SACM. :( After the outage last night I thought for sure that my connection would be upgraded.

BIGZIPZ 01-09-2004 12:56

Yes but:

On the morning of Wednesday 2nd Sept between midnight and 6am, the following work will take place:-

Customers using the Ntlworld broadband service via a Set Top Box may experience a breif loss of service due to the ongoing speed upgrade programme.

Tonight it could happen :D

yorkiex 01-09-2004 13:09

hope so :)

Ramrod 01-09-2004 13:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGZIPZ
Yes but:

Tonight it could happen :D

In what area?

BIGZIPZ 01-09-2004 13:19

It's hard to deduce from the full article, it's either all areas or Charminster, Grantham, Grimsby, Stafford, Shepshed, Swindon and Whitchurch areas. The site lists several things happening on this day, but it doesnt say if the other faults will be for the areas listed or for everyone.

Ramrod 01-09-2004 13:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGZIPZ
It's hard to deduce from the full article, it's either all areas or Charminster, Grantham, Grimsby, Stafford, Shepshed, Swindon and Whitchurch areas. The site lists several things happening on this day, but it doesnt say if the other faults will be for the areas listed or for everyone.

Ho-hum.....I thought it might be down here..........thanks for the info :)

BIGZIPZ 01-09-2004 14:12

I can feel it ;) tonight is the night we will be upgraded! *prays*

I can't wait for 50% more juice, also I hope this thread somehow goes to 100 pages for some strange reason.

BBKing 01-09-2004 15:35

Quote:

Tonight it could happen
Don't get your hopes up, this is just checking to see if everyone got the 150k-300k and 600k-750k upgrades. No date for 1Mb->1.5Mb yet.

MatTman 01-09-2004 15:36

they mention the woking area which means their almost on to my area, Im in Ashtead so not too far away..

i want meh 1.5 mb :D

comon NTL :tu:

BIGZIPZ 01-09-2004 15:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBKing
Don't get your hopes up, this is just checking to see if everyone got the 150k-300k and 600k-750k upgrades. No date for 1Mb->1.5Mb yet.

Doh! why can't they make a 2nd config, gold_temp.cm or something and move everyone on that who has the NEW box onto that and keep everyone else on gold.cm until they get the new box. *sigh*

yorkiex 01-09-2004 17:51

because they take the **** :mad:

Julian 01-09-2004 18:01

The postcode checker site says it will be October. :)

BIGZIPZ 01-09-2004 18:50

Not bad, only took em took em 6months from the date of announcement in April.

Kneebs 01-09-2004 23:42

Well, today I got swapped over to SACM and now that the autoregister server is back up & running properly, I've been able to register the modem and......

Wed, 1 Sep 2004 22:39:30 UTC
1st 128K took 718 ms = 182552 Bytes/sec = approx 1519 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 703 ms = 186447 Bytes/sec = approx 1551 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 704 ms = 186182 Bytes/sec = approx 1549 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 718 ms = 182552 Bytes/sec = approx 1519 kbits/sec

:D :D

Kneebs is indeedy a happy bunny ! :)

Psychotext 03-09-2004 16:03

Still no changes here. Anyone else barring Kneebs had their connection upgraded in the last few days?