Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   What have you fixed lately? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33694731)

Chris 25-04-2014 10:38

Re: What have you fixed lately?

Fixed some shoddy wiring to a socket spur installed by a previous occupant of my house.

Nearly 10 years and I'm still stumbling across little bits of bodgery here and there.

Osem 27-04-2014 12:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35692574)
Couldn't get the bathroom scales to operate with the original switches so I just fitted a simple miniature push switch through the base and wired it in. Made up a couple of spring loaded feet (Large headed screw, spring, washer and nylock nut) to hold the base up off the switch until you step on it. Basically the same idea as originally but more reliable.

Works a treat. :)

The battery compartment is still rubbish but I can't really do anything about it.

Ingenuity at its best! :tu:

I used something similar to a broken release button on some telescopic garden loppers a couple of years ago. Still working... :)

Uncle Peter 29-04-2014 14:55

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Peter (Post 35689203)
I sure will over the weekend, just had a prep coat of Wudtone and drying in the workshop (my big shed where the wine lives ;))

About 10 more coats to go! been having some small problems with a bit of oil that must have been in the wood.

Attachment 25420

pabscars 06-05-2014 21:17

Front brake pads on the wifes Renaultsport Megane series2, the uprated Brembo 4 pot calipers are notorious for seized pad pins, and low and behold 3 out of the 4 were solid, Renault's answer was to buy new calipers costing silly money, but an angle grinder, extra long pin punches, a large hammer and a lot of tenacity saw the stubborn buggers come out.

Cleaned and rebuilt with decent pads and the brakes have never been so keen, almost to the detriment of a car behind her today coming home from work :).

Osem 06-05-2014 21:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by pabscars (Post 35695672)
Front brake pads on the wifes Renaultsport Megane series2, the uprated Brembo 4 pot calipers are notorious for seized pad pins, and low and behold 3 out of the 4 were solid, Renault's answer was to buy new calipers costing silly money, but an angle grinder, extra long pin punches, a large hammer and a lot of tenacity saw the stubborn buggers come out.

Cleaned and rebuilt with decent pads and the brakes have never been so keen, almost to the detriment of a car behind her today coming home from work :).

I love fixes like that! :tu:

Gary L 07-05-2014 16:02

The front wheel bearings on an R6.

Stuart 07-05-2014 16:33

Some bugs in the new version of an online booking system I designed for work.

Gary L 13-05-2014 23:11

Caliper had seized on the front of my car. so I fixed it.

I'm good with my hands, ladies.

and gentlemen.

henly 14-05-2014 12:54

Replaced the cracked screen on my iPhone 4s using a kit from ebay costing £5, took 2 hours though!

roger skillin 14-05-2014 14:07

An HP Touchpad, installed latest 3rd party release of Android KitKat on it, works like a charm now

Dash: CF noob 16-05-2014 23:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary L (Post 35697993)
Caliper had seized on the front of my car. so I fixed it.

I'm good with my hands, ladies.

and gentlemen.

My rear ones are partially seized but the nuts are seized too so i cant get the buggers off.....

weenie 16-05-2014 23:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary L (Post 35695871)
The front wheel bearings on an R6.

Nice one hubby's pal has one, hubby has a kawasaki ninja and lately it seems is always needing fixed :( money pitt IMO he should get himself a nice reliable car. He say's no chance the bike or van for him.

Osem 17-05-2014 16:24

Our new porch. The stuff was delivered but the French doors supplied were handed incorrectly i.e. they were rebated to open inwards not outwards as specified.

Anyway since it wasn't such a big deal and to avoid further delays I decided to modify the frame and layout to suit the inwards opening doors. This involved using some of the many useful tools I've acquired over the years which have been waiting for their time to come. Most satisfying of all was cutting a new groove in the hardwood sill to accommodate the weather seal in its new position. First time I've used my router and it was a pleasure - superbly accurate result which fits perfectly.

I'm due some Brownie points from the missus anyway... :D

Angua 18-05-2014 07:17

Hope to fix/replace the fill valve on the loo later.

Seems to have sorted itself out? Turned the water off all night & now seems to behaving normally. :scratch:

MJPS 20-05-2014 20:30

1. I have moved some of my network boxes for Network storage and a relocated computer.
  2. Fixed a leaky tap
  3. Unbocked my kitchen sink
  4. Stripping the paint off of my stairs to reveal the naked wood
  5. Built a router out of an old computer and network card.
  6. Soldered and glued the headphone socket on an mp3 player