Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33688944)

1andrew1 14-11-2023 21:43

Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36164185)
DAZN won’t be in the bidding at all. ;)

The good news for streaming fans is they will be bidding.

The bad news for streaming fans is this sounds they'll be bidding farewell. :)

Media Boy UK 15-11-2023 18:02

EXCLUSIVE:

*A source has told me tonight that DAZN Group are looking for Comcast to take them over.

*A other source has confirmed that DAZN are in financial trouble but say DAZN Group can recover from it with new investors.

denphone 15-11-2023 18:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy UK (Post 36164286)
EXCLUSIVE:

*A source has told me tonight that DAZN Group are looking for Comcast to take them over.

*A other source has confirmed that DAZN are in financial trouble but say DAZN Group can recover from it with new investors.

DAZN like many before them was built on poor financial foundations.

1andrew1 16-11-2023 21:14

I wonder who gave this information to the Telegraph?
Quote:

Amazon Prime 'explore bidding' for an expanded package of live rights to Premier League matches... with the streaming service 'encouraged by the long-term certainty' of a four-year deal

Amazon currently pay around £90m to show 60 matches over a three-year deal
Doubts were raised if Amazon would bid for an expensive expanded package

According to The Telegraph, Amazon maintain an interest in bidding for at least one of the five packages of matches available.

Amazon are reportedly exploring a bid after being encouraged by the long-term security of a longer-term deal, offering more certainty over production investment.

The Premier League has offered companies a four-year deal for the first time from 2025, a 12-month increase on previous three-year cycles.

The move is expected to prove popular with broadcasters, with existing rights holders Sky Sports and TNT Sport both eager to buy more matches.

Amazon would be expected to bid for the cheaper of the five new packages should they decide to enter the auction.

Mail Sport reported last month that Amazon could face competition from fellow streaming service DAZN.

DAZN are understood to view the expanded Amazon pack as more attainable than the primetime Saturday and Sunday packages, which are expected to be retained by Sky Sports and TNT Sport.

The expanded fifth package of games is expected to include several complete midweek rounds, as well as Sunday matches featuring clubs involved in the Europa League.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...er-League.html

jfman 16-11-2023 21:36

All the stench of a Scudamore special. (I know he's not there any more - the last auction that actually happened cost him his job)

telegramsam 17-11-2023 09:57

Whoever gets what it will still end up us paying more

OLD BOY 18-11-2023 10:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36164363)
I wonder who gave this information to the Telegraph?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...er-League.html

You sound surprised, Andrew.

1andrew1 18-11-2023 10:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36164435)
You sound surprised, Andrew.

No, others in this forum have predicted we would see the emergence of such stories to encourage the incumbents to bid more.

jfman 18-11-2023 11:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36164438)
No, others in this forum have predicted we would see the emergence of such stories to encourage the incumbents to bid more.

Indeed. The list of "prospective bidders" that never came to fruition is about the only list longer than "companies Sky have crushed into the ground" in the UK TV rights market.

1andrew1 19-11-2023 12:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy UK (Post 36164286)
EXCLUSIVE:

DAZN is a private company owned by Sir Leonard Valentinovich Blavatnik and if it needs more funding then that's up to him.

It is separate from his other investments through Access Industries which is currently a buyer of media assets, not a seller.

Media Boy UK 19-11-2023 13:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36164510)
DAZN is a private company owned by Sir Leonard Valentinovich Blavatnik and if it needs more funding then that's up to him.

It is separate from his other investments through Access Industries which is currently a buyer of media assets, not a seller.

I can't win on here,

Some go mad when I get info that I can't post on here (Do not post orders or Not allow to post on Forum orders),

Then some others go mad when I pass on information I was given by my sources.

---------- Post added at 13:19 ---------- Previous post was at 13:05 ----------

Sir Leonard Valentinovich Blavatnik is 66 year old so maybe is looking to sell the loss making company.

1andrew1 19-11-2023 14:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy UK (Post 36164515)
Sir Leonard Valentinovich Blavatnik is 66 year old so maybe is looking to sell the loss making company.

We might do that but he's showing no signs of stepping back.

Leonard Blavatnik’s entertainment empire plans media acquisition spree
https://www.ft.com/content/da994d5f-...7-bc05f0ada293

---------- Post added at 14:07 ---------- Previous post was at 14:05 ----------

Quote:

I can't win on here,

Some go mad when I get info that I can't post on here (Do not post orders or Not allow to post on Forum orders),

If someone posts something on a discussion forum then people will discuss it and you will get the collective power of several minds on a topic. That's a good thing, you should not see it as winning or losing.

Media Boy UK 19-11-2023 15:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36164510)

But he not buying.

The FT story is just the views of Danny Cohen.

The way FT posted the story it look like Danny Cohen think Sir Blavatnik may make bid for Channel 5 owners Paramount or MTV owners Warner Bros Discovery.

I have seen the FT story for Free online the rest of it is about what happened in the past.

*He tookover Warner Music for $3.3bn in 2011.

Cohen joined Blavatnik to run Access Entertainment, part of the billionaire’s Access Industries, in 2016.

jfman 19-11-2023 15:24

My money is on that DAZN, and Len, and any other ownership vehicles on the go would bite your hand off for a way out of the market that recoups all of, or the vast majority of, their investment to date.

Itshim 19-11-2023 16:55

Quote:

I can't win on here,

---------- Post added at 13:19 ---------- Previous post was at 13:05 ----------

I m in the camp if you cannot inform us, say nothing, lve been told things in the past(family working for TV channel) asked to keep quiet, so say nothing. It's not that hard:D

adhiren 23-11-2023 05:12

Anyone know when Sky sports is planning to start showing some NCAA basketball games? The press release says November which is now but I can only find the football on schedule on Saturdays but basketball isn't coming up yet in the guide.

TimeLord2018 24-11-2023 11:11

Sky 5 year deal for ATP and WTA tours confirmed
https://www.skygroup.sky/en-gb/artic...-on-sky-sports

---------- Post added at 11:11 ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by adhiren (Post 36164795)
Anyone know when Sky sports is planning to start showing some NCAA basketball games? The press release says November which is now but I can only find the football on schedule on Saturdays but basketball isn't coming up yet in the guide.

Not sure when but it's supposed to be 3 per week
https://www.skysports.com/nfl/news/1...2024-25-season

Rillington 24-11-2023 11:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeLord2018 (Post 36164880)
Sky 5 year deal for ATP and WTA tours confirmed
https://www.skygroup.sky/en-gb/artic...-on-sky-sports

I wonder if this might result in the launch of Sky Sports Tennis?

---------- Post added at 11:49 ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeLord2018 (Post 36164880)
Not sure when but it's supposed to be 3 per week
https://www.skysports.com/nfl/news/1...2024-25-season

Indeed, although they might not start showing these matches until the end of the College Football season at the start of January.

One potential option for Sky Sports might be to launch a full time American sports channel Sky Sports America. The NFL and NCAA seasons would give them live content between the end of August and the start of April and if they were to, say, get the NHL then that would provide live action until early June so there'd only be 10 weeks of no live coverage, as is the case with Sky Sports Premier League. Maybe Sky now wishes that they'd not let the NBA go to TNT Sports.

Media Boy UK 24-11-2023 15:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rillington (Post 36164883)
I wonder if this might result in the launch of Sky Sports Tennis?

Yes but channel will not appear until March 2024.

But from January until then the coverage will be across other Sky Sports channels.

https://twitter.com/MediaBoyUK/statu...64979230769257

Media Boy UK 25-11-2023 21:04

One of my followers on my X feed has told me tonight that Newspaper reports in Sweden (dagens industri) is reporting a following 3 broadcasters are interested in buying (all or shares) in Viaplay:

*Amazon
*Canal+
*Comcast

jfman 25-11-2023 21:18

I'm sure Viaplay are due to post their next set of results shortly. Early this week.

Media Boy UK 25-11-2023 22:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36164994)
I'm sure Viaplay are due to post their next set of results shortly. Early this week.

Viaplay results are out on Wednesday.

1andrew1 26-11-2023 07:38

I assume we shall get clarity on the future of the UK arm then. Viaplay's financial results will obviously be poor so they will be keen to show investors progress on the restructuring. They will want to do any write-downs now and not later. The core Nordic and Dutch business is apparently financially sound and they do have some solid trade investors.

jfman 26-11-2023 08:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36165000)
I assume we shall get clarity on the future of the UK arm then. Viaplay's financial results will obviously be poor so they will be keen to show investors progress on the restructuring. They will want to do any write-downs now and not later. The core Nordic and Dutch business is apparently financially sound and they do have some solid trade investors.

I admire the optimism ;)

1andrew1 26-11-2023 11:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36165010)
I admire the optimism ;)

Mainly because the new CEO has given Viaplay so many options for the UK that they would be hard-pressed not to announce one of them!
Quote:

...said the company would focus on its core Nordic, Dutch and Viaplay Select operations, while downsizing, partnering, or leaving other markets.
Also, to show progress is being made and to ensure all attention and chatter is not solely on the financials!

Media Boy UK 29-11-2023 06:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy UK (Post 36164996)
Viaplay results are out on Wednesday.

Viaplay Group reschedules publication of Q3 2023 financial results to 30 November.

Quote:

Viaplay Group today announced that its Board of Directors has decided to reschedule the publication of its Q3 2023 financial results to after close of trading on NASDAQ Stockholm on Thursday 30 November, in order to continue discussions with its largest shareholders, debt providers and bondholders regarding the potential recapitalisation of the Group.
So Viaplay will not reveal it results until Thursday after 4.30pm (UK Time).

https://www.viaplaygroup.com/news/ne...ts-30-november

jfman 29-11-2023 09:07

Can only be bad news.

1andrew1 29-11-2023 10:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36165305)
Can only be bad news.

It's a unique opportunity for a UK streaming fan to acquire Viaplay for next to nothing and to show the other broadcasters how it should be done! ;)

Phunkenstein 29-11-2023 15:04

https://x.com/martingrantross/status...JnVbx_ims3edJQ

Premier Sports are back!

TimeLord2018 29-11-2023 15:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phunkenstein (Post 36165328)

Probably paid less than they sold it for lol.

denphone 29-11-2023 15:22

Quote:

So Viaplay did end up as another Setanta Sports.

Media Boy UK 29-11-2023 15:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36165331)

All will be reveal from Thursday at 4.30pm.

1andrew1 29-11-2023 16:06

You should have placed a bet on it!
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeLord2018 (Post 36156787)
Premier Sports still exists in Ireland, I wonder if they might buy back the UK channels for less what than they sold them for.

Media Boy UK 29-11-2023 16:09

Quote:

Story now confirmed.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/...e-cup-31557344

1andrew1 29-11-2023 16:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36165331)

I agree with you.

---------- Post added at 16:20 ---------- Previous post was at 16:16 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy UK (Post 36165334)

I expect that Viaplay's Nordic Noir dramas and films will then be sold on the open market to be picked up by the likes of Netflix and the BBC, et al.

jfman 29-11-2023 23:11

Another one for the graveyard then.

1andrew1 29-11-2023 23:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36165370)
Another one for the graveyard then.

"The epic bidding war between Premier Sports and DAZN for Viaplay UK is a film in itself" is not a sentence that will trouble your ear drums much. ;)

vincerooney 30-11-2023 00:53

so....via player was unsuccessful and has gone back to premier sports.

i can't grasp the point of this. premier sports was unsuccessful. it gave up and sold to via player. via player has also been unsuccessful with a wider array of shows.

so premier sports has come back....to do what?!

1andrew1 30-11-2023 09:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36165379)
so....via player was unsuccessful and has gone back to premier sports.

i can't grasp the point of this. premier sports was unsuccessful. it gave up and sold to via player. via player has also been unsuccessful with a wider array of shows.

so premier sports has come back....to do what?!

I'm not sure that Premier Sports gave up. If anything, it's Viaplay who have given up.

Last year, Viaplay made Premier Sports an offer they couldn't refuse for Premier Sports GB (€30m) and they wisely took it.

When Viaplay offered it back to Premier Sports this year (likely for peanuts in a distressed sale) it was again a deal they couldn't say no to.

It's probably little extra cost for Premier Sports to run Premier Sports GB given that they now run premier Sports Ireland (and Premier Sports Asia) but they will get additional subscription income.

jfman 30-11-2023 11:01

I think it can be interpreted both ways - exiting the market for a mere €30m (or about 3 Premiership games) isn’t necessarily a sign of a successful and developing business model it does read as a bit cut and run.

The question does remain why do they want it back presumably with the increased costs of rights that Viaplay have committed to and can’t make work in their own business.

jfman 30-11-2023 20:40

Anyone know what happened to Viaplay's results?

1andrew1 30-11-2023 22:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36165442)
Anyone know what happened to Viaplay's results?

They're past the midnight deadline in Sweden.

I assume before the Nasdaq Stockholm opens tomorrow morning, Viaplay will either have to announce its results or if not, arrange for its shares to be suspended.

Media Boy UK 01-12-2023 03:05

I have seen reports on X that say A Swedish journalists did called Viaplay early on Thursday evening and was told by Viaplay that they were still working on the report.

I feel Viaplay may reveal it results at 5am on Friday.

epsilon 01-12-2023 06:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy UK (Post 36165469)
I have seen reports on X that say A Swedish journalists did called Viaplay early on Thursday evening and was told by Viaplay that they were still working on the report.

I feel Viaplay may reveal it results at 5am on Friday.

https://www.viaplaygroup.com/sites/d...11294571-1.pdf

1andrew1 01-12-2023 08:51

Viaplay shares down 80% in reaction to fundraising announcement.

jfman 01-12-2023 09:00

The release on the recapitalisation plan makes for grim reading. It does look like Canal+ might be positioning themselves to acquire the corpse.

https://www.reuters.com/business/med...bt-2023-12-01/

1andrew1 01-12-2023 09:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36165482)
The release on the recapitalisation plan makes for grim reading. It does look like Canal+ might be positioning themselves to acquire the corpse.

https://www.reuters.com/business/med...bt-2023-12-01/

Canal+ will have lost a bit on their investment and haven't bitten Viaplay's arm off to acquire its Polish arm.

It looks like there weren't buyers for the Baltic and Polish operations so they limp on until Summer 2025, presumably in line with sports rights. Didn't see a mention of the US but may have missed it, this was a market they were planning on exiting too.

The intriguing bit is the innovative new deal for Formula 1 in the Netherlands. Presumably some revenue-sharing arrangement that reduces the headline rights costs in return for splitting advertising/subscription income.

Media Boy UK 01-12-2023 13:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by epsilon (Post 36165474)

Viaplay's Results was out at 5.30am today.

epsilon 02-12-2023 01:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy UK (Post 36165504)
Viaplay's Results was out at 5.30am today.

Indeed they were. I got a nudge and a link to the pdf and various other stuff at around 5.35. I left it to everyone else to draw their own conclusions fron the results but it is grim reading.

Rillington 03-12-2023 11:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy UK (Post 36164908)
Yes but channel will not appear until March 2024.

But from January until then the coverage will be across other Sky Sports channels.

https://twitter.com/MediaBoyUK/statu...64979230769257

Thank you for that.

The question is whether it will replace one of the general sports channels or whether it will be a brand new channel.

1andrew1 03-12-2023 11:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rillington (Post 36165601)
Thank you for that.

The question is whether it will replace one of the general sports channels or whether it will be a brand new channel.

It's a good question. There's no obvious candidate for them to replace unless they can Sky Sports Mix or Sky Sports Main Event which hasn't been their approach to date.

TimeLord2018 03-12-2023 13:51

Sky Sports Mix moved from 416 to 425 in Channel Islands on Sky which means that Sky acquired the former Ginx eSports TV slot...Sky Sports Mix still on Sky channel 416 elsewhere for now.

They can also resuse the E! capacity when it closes.

Media Boy UK 03-12-2023 16:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rillington (Post 36165601)
Thank you for that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36165603)
It's a good question. There's no obvious candidate for them to replace unless they can Sky Sports Mix or Sky Sports Main Event which hasn't been their approach to date.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeLord2018 (Post 36165610)
Sky Sports Mix moved from 416 to 425 in Channel Islands on Sky which means that Sky acquired the former Ginx eSports TV slot...Sky Sports Mix still on Sky channel 416 elsewhere for now.

They can also resuse the E! capacity when it closes.

As posted on December 1st on the Coming Soon thread by me.

Sky Sports Tennis will launch by March 6th 2024.

My Sources say Sky Sports are making their mind up on to rebrand the other Sky Sports Channel or to launch a new Sky Sports Channel.

braysoj1 04-12-2023 12:03

https://www.digitaltveurope.com/2023...eo-tnt-sports/

NASCAR scores seven-year media rights deal, with the Cup Series to debut on Prime Video & TNT Sports

Media Boy UK 04-12-2023 14:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by braysoj1 (Post 36165689)

NASCAR scores seven-year media rights deal, with the Cup Series to debut on Prime Video & TNT Sports

That is NOT the TNT Sports UK on it the rights for TNT Sports USA.

1andrew1 04-12-2023 14:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by braysoj1 (Post 36165689)

Somewhat vague as to which country they're refering to! The website is called Digital TV Europe but the broadcasting rights in question seem to be for the USA.

jfman 04-12-2023 16:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36165712)
Somewhat vague as to which country they're refering to! The website is called Digital TV Europe but the broadcasting rights in question seem to be for the USA.

The annoying thing about everyone using the same branding. It’s conceivable, but not clear, it’s worldwide rights.

Gavin-D 04-12-2023 17:54

Sky Sports will broadcast 215 Premier League matches from 2025 they will also show all 10 matches on the final day of each season.

Sky Sports new contract includes

All first pick matches, giving fans the best matches week in week out until May 2029

Super Sunday remains the flagship kick-off slot at 4.30pm

First and last word on a Premier League weekend with more live games on Fridays and Mondays

For the first time, all the final games on the last day of the season will be live in one place, creating a real moment for fans

Sky Sports will now be able to offer multiple live matches on a number of weekends at Sunday 2pm

Most of the festive season fixtures, with Boxing Day Premier League football back on Sky

TNT have got 52 games

1andrew1 04-12-2023 18:00

Broadcaster press releases:
https://www.skysports.com/football/n...n-from-2025-26

https://www.tntsports.co.uk/football...97/story.shtml

Premier League statement
Quote:

The Premier League has concluded deals with Sky Sports and TNT Sports for five UK live packages and with BBC Sport for the free-to-air highlights package. All three agreements will cover the four-year period starting Season 2025/26 and are the largest sports media rights deals ever concluded in the UK.

Sky Sports has been awarded live rights packages B, C, D and E, covering a minimum of 215 live matches per season, which will include more than 140 matches played at weekends, evening matches on Fridays and Mondays, and full coverage of three midweek match rounds. For the first time, Sky Sports will also broadcast all 10 matches on the final day of each season.

TNT Sports has been awarded live rights package A, covering 52 live matches per season, including exclusive coverage of matches played on Saturdays at 12.30pm and full coverage of two midweek match rounds.

For the first time in the UK, all matches taking place outside of the Saturday 3pm "closed period", including those displaced to Sunday 2pm because of club participation in European competitions, will be broadcast live...

The announced agreements will deliver a total of £6.7billion in revenue across the four-year period, inclusive of a four per cent increase in live rights value compared to the previous process.
https://www.premierleague.com/news/3807882

1701-e 04-12-2023 18:04

So sky got all the picks bar one.

1andrew1 04-12-2023 18:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by telegramsam (Post 36162563)
Personally I hope the Premier League rights are decided up between Sky and TNT but doubt it will work out like that.

Today's a good news day for you then!

jfman 04-12-2023 18:14

No streamers?

denphone 04-12-2023 18:18

Where is OB when you need him...;)

1andrew1 04-12-2023 18:32

I imagine Sky and WBD will be happy with those outcomes. WBD keeps its foot in the door with its beloved 12.30 Saturday package whilst Sky has the clear lion's share.

And the streamers? If they were serious, we would be discussing their right packages now.

Gavin-D 04-12-2023 18:36

The BBC have retained Match of the Day until 2029

jfman 04-12-2023 18:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36165732)
I imagine Sky and WBD will be happy with those outcomes. WBD keeps its foot in the door with its beloved 12.30 Saturday package whilst Sky has the clear lion's share.

And the streamers? If they were serious, we would be discussing their right packages now.

A paltry 4% rise since the last auction that actually took place. In real terms (inflation adjusted) the value is decreasing, and by the end of this period that will have been the case for a decade - for more live games than ever before!

denphone 04-12-2023 18:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36165732)

Amazon last time with the rights were only interested in the bargain basement package.

This deal proves that.

1andrew1 04-12-2023 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36165734)
A paltry 4% rise since the last auction that actually took place. In real terms (inflation adjusted) the value is decreasing, and by the end of this period that will have been the case for a decade - for more live games than ever before!

Indeed.

I imagine this auction's rights carve-up is the best that fans could realistically hope for.

jfman 04-12-2023 18:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36165735)
Amazon last time with the rights were only interested in the bargain basement package.

This deal proves that.

It’s the DAZN bid I want to hear about :rofl:

1andrew1 04-12-2023 18:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36165735)

This deal proves that.

Amazon were super lucky to have their deal extended! Not only did they pick up the bargain basement rights, they also had the term doubled with no inflation uplift either!

SonicMaster 04-12-2023 18:45

The news we've all been waiting for...

Ideal World is returning to VM, and this time it's in HD!

https://twitter.com/IdealWorldTV/sta...mIYW0nAZA&s=19

1andrew1 04-12-2023 18:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36165737)

It's in the same "to post" pile as Apple's! ;)

OLD BOY 04-12-2023 19:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36165737)

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...mazon-31182351

Seems like they were only interested in the bargain basement package as well - and failed.

I thought Sky was resigned not to pull out all the stops to keep their Premiership rights. Seems like they were feeling flush after all.

jfman 04-12-2023 19:21

The claimed £300m a year (£1.2bn over 4) should have almost certainly won a package if they were serious. Over 5 packages that’s £6bn, and we already know the top dollar games go for a lot more on average. The current deal has Sky paying approx £9m a game and TNT approx £5m.

Sky have (again) correctly gauged the market, having paid less per game (for better picks) in the 2019-22 auction than the rights they held 2016-19. The rollover auction allowed them to maintain this position for less on an inflation adjusted basis.

Streamers - including some of the biggest companies in the world - have declined two excellent opportunities to enter this market. Three if you believe the League could have held an auction during Covid as many other sports bodies did - everyone knows my view they chickened out and this auction demonstrates why.

The big question for the league is how do they actually stimulate competition in the market for rights since even essentially giving them away to Amazon for six years didn’t work.

Sky aren’t (as you claim) “feeling flush”. They’re the incumbent with an established, proven business model that by the end of this next period will have monetised the rights for just shy of forty years.

1andrew1 04-12-2023 20:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36165741)

Seems like they were only interested in the bargain basement package as well - and failed.

I thought Sky was resigned not to pull out all the stops to keep their Premiership rights. Seems like they were feeling flush after all.

We don't know yet and may never know if anyone apart from Sky and TNT put in a bid.

The small package of 20 matches was discontinued as it had only received a small bid in the last auction. It wasn't intended to be sold at the bargain basement price that Amazon ended snapping it up for!

---------- Post added at 20:24 ---------- Previous post was at 19:48 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36165734)

By my calculations - might be mistaken - a significant decrease in cost per live game.

2023 auction: 1068 matches in total spread across 4 years
Total rights sale £6.7bn including BBC's unchanged £282m
So £6m per match, equivalent to £4.6m in 2016 given inflation

Previous auction: 600 matches spread across 3 years
Total rights sale £5.1bn including BBC's £282m
So £8.5m per match

Dave42 04-12-2023 20:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36165741)

that is is there best selling point for sky sports OB man if they lost that they would lose a lot of customers and they know it too

jfman 04-12-2023 20:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36165745)
By my calculations - might be mistaken - a significant decrease in cost per live game.

2023 auction: 1068 matches in total spread across 4 years
Total rights sale £6.7bn including BBC's unchanged £282m
So £6m per match, equivalent to £4.6m in 2016 given inflation

Previous auction: 600 matches spread across 3 years
Total rights sale £5.1bn including BBC's £282m
So £8.5m per match

There is a decrease in the average although it’s complex because the “additional” games are necessarily weaker than those “selected” in the old packages. Plus more games will clash in the simulcast 2pm Sunday slot after European midweeks so there’s an argument these pull the average down further. It’d be interesting to see values of the packages that could be deemed most like for like in the auctions.

---------- Post added at 20:33 ---------- Previous post was at 20:32 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 36165748)
that is is there best selling point for sky sports OB man if they lost that they would lose a lot of customers and they know it too

Some hold the view it’s their entire business model and they would have plenty in reserve if there was a genuine threat out there.

jfman 05-12-2023 08:44

I've had some more thoughts:
  • It's probably a sobering reality for the League that their product has been overhyped by themselves, and by Sky, that the rights are now clearly falling in value in real terms.
  • Sky continue to overpay the market value of the rights even though they are paying less for more in real terms. The value to Sky, as the incumbent, is far greater as Dave42 points out above.
  • Despite designing a process whereby there could have (theoretically) been three winners of packages with 'week in, week out' matches throughout the season no bidders appeared.
  • Or if they did, they bid in real terms less than the last auctions on a like for like basis and outside the 10% threshold at which the League would probably have moved to a second round of bids.

So where does the League go from here?
  • Do they continue to try to design a product to get a 'streamer' on board despite them having passed up three opportunities to match the previous auction value in real terms?
  • A longer window - 10 years - might guarantee a longer period in which to gain a return. However, that could guarantee a further decade of stagnating value if nobody appears and Sky once again win more for less.
  • Knowing Sky are outbidding the rest of the market - substantially - and have done for decades is it in the interests of the League to continue to design packages that suit Sky?
  • If Sky were to exit the market, the price would drop substantially, with nobody in place with a guaranteed funding model for future rights windows. In an increasingly competitive pay-tv market, the League's future funding is ever more intertwined with Sky's success in navigating it.

There were rumours of a streaming service lurking in the background of the proposed European Super League. Is that the only viable in to gain worldwide rights for a new product entirely?

1andrew1 05-12-2023 09:06

The future for the Premier League seems to be a combined rights deal with the English Football League and the end of the 3pm blackout.

No idea of how this might look like in terms of packages and the Premier League seems to have given itself a few more years to work this out.

jfman 05-12-2023 11:32

It could be very bad timing for the Premier League to join up. On an inflation adjusted basis the EFL rights are at or near their peak with the current value at the eye-watering levels ITV Digital put themselves under bankrolling (or not bankrolling).

The Premier League has year on year been falling in value since 2016 in real terms. There’s no evidence in this rights auction that we can’t expect more of the same in five years time. The EFL will be on solid ground to argue it’s the additional matches they bring to the table, from lower league clubs, that add value. The big boys are already on 30+ times a season - the market is saturated. I’ve seen it said on another forum, but not crunched the numbers myself, the new contract creates the theoretical possibility of a team having every game televised depending on the Europa League.

1andrew1 06-12-2023 13:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36165787)
It could be very bad timing for the Premier League to join up. On an inflation adjusted basis the EFL rights are at or near their peak with the current value at the eye-watering levels ITV Digital put themselves under bankrolling (or not bankrolling).

The Premier League has year on year been falling in value since 2016 in real terms. There’s no evidence in this rights auction that we can’t expect more of the same in five years time. The EFL will be on solid ground to argue it’s the additional matches they bring to the table, from lower league clubs, that add value. The big boys are already on 30+ times a season - the market is saturated. I’ve seen it said on another forum, but not crunched the numbers myself, the new contract creates the theoretical possibility of a team having every game televised depending on the Europa League.

The cynic in me could see the Premier League joining up with the EFL for four years in order to get its 3pm games televised then going their own way afterwards.

jfman 06-12-2023 17:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36165905)
The cynic in me could see the Premier League joining up with the EFL for four years in order to get its 3pm games televised then going their own way afterwards.

I think it probably was the plan, however by 2029 there will be so few games played in this slot one wonders whether the solution isn’t just to move every game.

ozsat 06-12-2023 19:23

Anyone notice that last night's EPL (Luton v Arsenal) and tonight's (Man Utd v Chelsea) games are not showing in HDR on Virgin, Sky or BT?

They work on Amazon devices - and other HDR assets are still working on all platforms.

The HDR tag was there on all platforms last night and was not working. It doesn't show at all tonight but is working on Firesticks.

1andrew1 06-12-2023 21:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36165961)
I think it probably was the plan, however by 2029 there will be so few games played in this slot one wonders whether the solution isn’t just to move every game.

Yup.

TimeLord2018 07-12-2023 01:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36165712)

It's definitely the U.S
https://press.wbd.com/na/media-relea...ghts-agreement

Although I could TNT Sports in the UK being interested.

TimeLord2018 07-12-2023 10:51

TNT Sports get rights to Formula E from next year
https://media.discoverysports.com/po...-coverage-in-t

Gavin-D 09-12-2023 13:10

TNT Sports have secured the rights for the FIFA Club World Cup and will show every game.

vincerooney 11-12-2023 00:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36166044)
Yup.

i'd do that if I were the EPL. Just kill the 3pm block so it makes no sense to keep the ban going

7pm kick off Friday

12pm kick off Saturday
5:15 kick off Saturday
7pm kick off Saturday
9pm kick off Saturday

12pm kick off sunday
2pm kick off sunday
4pm kick off sunday
6pm kick off sunday

7pm kick off Monday

done

Media Boy UK 11-12-2023 16:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin-D (Post 36166272)
TNT Sports have secured the rights for the FIFA Club World Cup and will show every game.

https://www.digitaltveurope.com/2023...-saudi-arabia/

vincerooney 12-12-2023 00:14

any reason why sky tennis won't launch till March 24 when they get the rights end of December?

Media Boy UK 12-12-2023 01:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36166407)
any reason why sky tennis won't launch till March 24 when they get the rights end of December?

No real idea.

But Sky rules say any new HD channel need to test for up to 12 weeks ahead of launch.

Media Boy UK 12-12-2023 15:01

Sky Sports UK signs deal with ONE Championship.

ONE Championship has reveal that ONE & Sky Sports has signed an exclusive partnership to air ONE events in the UK.

The partnership kicks off with ONE Fight Night 18: Superlek vs. Mahmoudi, live on January 14th on Sky Sports (Channel to be confirmed).

https://www.onefc.com/press-releases...k-and-ireland/

Phunkenstein 22-12-2023 11:39

https://www.dazn.com/en-GB/news/othe...oqzd23sdo3vh40

DAZN launching their app on Sky platforms in 2024

1andrew1 16-01-2024 12:09

Good opportunity for a streamer to step up here!
Quote:

UK cricket fans set for potential BLACKOUT for England's Test series against India, with TV deal yet to be agreed less than three* weeks before the opening game in Hyderabad
* Now two weeks
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cr...Hyderabad.html

Media Boy UK 16-01-2024 13:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36168328)

* Now two weeks

Daily Mail last week did think Disney+ may pick up the rights.

TimeLord2018 16-01-2024 14:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36168328)

* Now two weeks

Seems TNT Sports/Discovery+ have got the rights.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/...tour-of-india/

1andrew1 16-01-2024 22:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeLord2018 (Post 36168333)
Seems TNT Sports/Discovery+ have got the rights.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/...tour-of-india/

Wow, that's some last-minute deal!

ozsat 17-01-2024 05:18

Sky Sports Red Button now on 360s - access from Sky Sports channels.

Media Boy UK 18-01-2024 16:19

How to watch England men’s cricket tour of India in 2024 on TNT Sports:

https://www.tntsports.co.uk/cricket/...45/story.shtml

ozsat 23-01-2024 15:57

All WWE moving to Netflix in UK.

WWE Raw moving to Netflix