Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Will Scotland Leave the UK? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33684496)

Pierre 13-07-2014 19:10

Re: Will Scotland Leave the UK?

As good as any poll

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-28279790

Derek 13-07-2014 19:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35713940)

Pretty much backs up all the mock referendums and public votes held in schools, universities and at tough mudder :erm: that have all said a no vote is the most likely outcome.

Mr Angry 14-07-2014 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 35710206)
The GuessNP really are getting beyond parody now.

Quote:
British spies may have orchestrated the abusive messages sent to JK Rowling after she spoke out against independence, a leading SNP politician has claimed.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ian-warns.html

Strangely enough

"The leaked document details a range of programs designed to collect and store public postings from Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Google+ and to make automated postings on several of the social networks."

I'm not for a second suggesting it has happened in the Rowling situation but it is doable and can be done should it suit GCHQ and the Intelligence Services.

Pierre 15-07-2014 07:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Angry (Post 35714296)

Strangely enough

"The leaked document details a range of programs designed to collect and store public postings from Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Google+ and to make automated postings on several of the social networks."

I'm not for a second suggesting it has happened in the Rowling situation but it is doable and can be done should it suit GCHQ and the Intelligence Services.

I don't doubt the technology, but reasoning behind the SNP claim is still rediculous.

Mr Angry 15-07-2014 07:47

In your estimation, perhaps. However, given what's at stake many won't find it too much of a stretch.

RizzyKing 15-07-2014 11:38

Sooner this is over the better the longer it goes on the more dirty it's getting and the more the nats are stoking anti english sentiment making relations between england and scotland harder in the future. They may be using the term "westminster" a lot but it isn't taking much reading between the lines to see their real meaning and i'm getting a bit sick and tired of being the bad guy in something that to be honest i am past caring about go, stay it's all the same to me at this point.

RichardCoulter 15-07-2014 14:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 35712671)
Did they cover what happens when the oil runs out?

I didn't see anything, but there again I was only half watching it whilst replying to emails.

If this is the case, a yes vote may economically benefit England as we we won't have to plough money into Scotland to replace the lost revenue, despite having reaped the benefits of the oil for many years.

nashville 15-07-2014 15:08

I am NO person & my family all feel the same, Salmon cannot be trusted one bit,
Better the Devil, than the devil you don,t know. Be sensible Vote NO

Doug P 15-07-2014 16:00

Has Salmond proved that it is not a huge risk for Scotland to vote Yes?

I don't think he has....

Mr Angry 15-07-2014 23:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 35713431)
Oops. Remember how Alex 'I'm right, you're wrong' Salmond has been banging on about an independent Scotland immediately giving up a chunk of its independence by walking into the EU on its terms? It seems like the new EU boss has other ideas.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2014/07/24.jpg

It's even funnier as a week ago they were hailing him as the greatest thing ever as he would be more receptive to iScotland and it's EU plans. Awkward. :D

I see Herr Juncker's office has now clarified that he wasn't at any stage referencing Scotland.

"New European Commission president Jean-Claude Juncker was not referring to Scotland when he said there would be no new members of the EU in the next five years, BBC Scotland has learned.

Opponents of Scottish independence had seized on his remarks to the European Parliament to back their campaign
They said it proved that, if Scotland were to vote to leave the UK, it would not get back into the EU before 2019.

But a spokeswoman confirmed that he was talking about countries outside the EU."

Damien 15-07-2014 23:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Angry (Post 35714774)
I see Herr Juncker's office has now clarified that he wasn't at any stage referencing Scotland.

"New European Commission president Jean-Claude Juncker was not referring to Scotland when he said there would be no new members of the EU in the next five years, BBC Scotland has learned.

Opponents of Scottish independence had seized on his remarks to the European Parliament to back their campaign
They said it proved that, if Scotland were to vote to leave the UK, it would not get back into the EU before 2019.

But a spokeswoman confirmed that he was talking about countries outside the EU."

He was referring to comments he made today. Not the comments he made about Scotland not getting fast-track entry. The SNP are already spinning it to seem that way but they're two different issues.

Mr Angry 15-07-2014 23:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35714776)
He was referring to comments he made today. Not the comments he made about Scotland not getting fast-track entry. The SNP are already spinning it to seem that way but they're two different issues.

He has clarified that he wasn't referencing Scotland. That was my point.

Damien 16-07-2014 06:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Angry (Post 35714778)
He has clarified that he wasn't referencing Scotland. That was my point.

Yes but he clarified he wasn't referencing Scotland in remarks he made yesterday, not the remarks you quoted.

Mr Angry 16-07-2014 06:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35714803)
Yes but he clarified he wasn't referencing Scotland in remarks he made yesterday, not the remarks you quoted.

I didn't quote any remarks he may or may not have made. The article snippet which Derek provided contains no quotes from Mr Juncker as far as I can see.

Either way Damien, he has clarified he was not referencing Scotland when he was talking about no new entrants over the next five years, a point relevant to both sets of "comments" I think you'll agree.

Damien 16-07-2014 08:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Angry (Post 35714804)
I didn't quote any remarks he may or may not have made. The article snippet which Derek provided contains no quotes from Mr Juncker as far as I can see.

Either way Damien, he has clarified he was not referencing Scotland when he was talking about no new entrants over the next five years, a point relevant to both sets of "comments" I think you'll agree.

No. You quoted a article about Junker indicating that Scotland would not have fast-track entry into the EU. The comments you posted in relation to that, about Junker was not 'at any stage referencing Scotland', was nothing to do with the article you had quoted. Junker was clarifying remarks he made yesterday, not about fast-track entry, but about a 5 year freeze on new members.

The position he took in the article that Derek posted has not changed recently. So all I did was highlight that they're two different sets of comments and scenarios. No one has actually talked about the '5-year freeze' because that was only spoken about yesterday.