Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33688944)

Dave42 04-03-2023 03:01

Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36147414)
I've been moved after complaining to Maxit TV and Volt Gig 1.

Yet i dont have the sky UHD channels and they say i need to subscribe.... ? Any advice?

it £7 extra for Sky sports UHD Vince

vincerooney 05-03-2023 00:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 36147416)
it £7 extra for Sky sports UHD Vince

cheers Dave. What is "Sky Ultra HD"? its listed on my new contract. is it sky one in UHD or sky cinema?

jfman 05-03-2023 08:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36147479)
cheers Dave. What is "Sky Ultra HD"? its listed on my new contract. is it sky one in UHD or sky cinema?

It’s on demand entertainment and movies.

vincerooney 05-03-2023 13:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36147483)
It’s on demand entertainment and movies.

ahhh! makes sense. cheers pal

Gavin-D 12-03-2023 09:36

BT Sport want Gary Lineker to return and present their Premier League coverage next season

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-coverage.html

Itshim 12-03-2023 11:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin-D (Post 36148051)
BT Sport want Gary Lineker to return and present their Premier League coverage next season

I must be the only person in the country that only think of him as the face of walker's crisps :dozey:

Dingbat 12-03-2023 11:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin-D (Post 36148051)

They headline it with “BT Sport”, then talk about WBD/TNT wanting talent for the relaunch.

Usual poor journalism from the DM.

Gavin-D 12-03-2023 14:02

Anyone else got issues with Sky Sports F1 UHD and the picture constantly breaking up?

jfman 12-03-2023 14:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin-D (Post 36148081)
Anyone else got issues with Sky Sports F1 UHD and the picture constantly breaking up?

Not here.

---------- Post added at 14:59 ---------- Previous post was at 14:58 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dingbat (Post 36148063)
They headline it with “BT Sport”, then talk about WBD/TNT wanting talent for the relaunch.

Usual poor journalism from the DM.

In fairness their target audience isn’t internet pedants with a penchant for media mergers.

1andrew1 13-03-2023 14:46

Interesting development. Equivalent of the Premier League buying Sky UK.
Quote:

Italy’s football league is considering a proposal to buy Sky Italia from its current owners Comcast.

In a story first reported by the Italian daily La Stampa, Serie A would wants to create its own Serie A channel. By purchasing the broadcaster as a whole, the League would automatically have access to Sky’s infrastructure and customer base.
https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2023...ky-italia-bid/

However, the original Italian article suggests Comcast would be a reluctant seller.

The non-paywalled part of La Stampa's article says

Quote:

Serie A wants Sky[Italia]: Ready to invest 2 billion €

The Football League is considering seeking bank loans in order to make an offer for the pay-TV company. But Comcast has invested a lot of money in its Italian subsidiary and seems unwilling to sell it.
https://www.lastampa.it/economia/202..._sky-12690234/

OLD BOY 16-03-2023 16:01

https://advanced-television.com/2023...unches-on-sky/

[EXTRACT]

Sports entertainment platform DAZN Group is launching DAZN 1 HD in the UK and Ireland on channel 429 on Sky ahead of the return of British boxing’s biggest name, two-time World Heavyweight Champion of the World Anthony Joshua, on April 1st, 2023.

From March 23rd, DAZN 1 HD will show a 24/7 schedule of live and catch-up content, including the ultimate UK boxing line up with 50 fights a year featuring international superstars such as Anthony Joshua, Canelo Álvarez, Katie Taylor and Ryan Garcia, alongside a daily dose of boxing news on the DAZN Boxing Show.

jfman 16-03-2023 17:23

The linear future has arrived!

I dread to think, given their eye watering losses to date, what the additional costs of running a linear channel will do to their balance sheet though. #JeSuitDAZN

OLD BOY 16-03-2023 17:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36148362)
The linear future has arrived!

I dread to think, given their eye watering losses to date, what the additional costs of running a linear channel will do to their balance sheet though. #JeSuitDAZN

It's too early to rely on streaming only for sport, as previously discussed ad nauseum.

jfman 17-03-2023 15:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36148364)
It's too early to rely on streaming only for sport, as previously discussed ad nauseum.

It’s all just moving pictures, so it’s odd it doesn’t “work” for sport, don’t you think?

OLD BOY 17-03-2023 15:55

So you say, jfman. Personally, I don’t have any problems with live streams, but in any case, it will get better with time. I suspect that the reason DAZN is also using a broadcast channel is because there are still quite a few punters who do not have broadband, at least at the speeds required. Again, that will sort itself out over the next few years.

jfman 17-03-2023 21:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36148389)
So you say, jfman. Personally, I don’t have any problems with live streams, but in any case, it will get better with time. I suspect that the reason DAZN is also using a broadcast channel is because there are still quite a few punters who do not have broadband, at least at the speeds required. Again, that will sort itself out over the next few years.

97% of people can get superfast broadband, OB. Are you really telling me the glorious streaming future hinges on the final 3%?

There’s probably more homes in the UK unable to get satellite through the lack of line of sight.

OLD BOY 18-03-2023 12:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36148409)
97% of people can get superfast broadband, OB. Are you really telling me the glorious streaming future hinges on the final 3%?

There’s probably more homes in the UK unable to get satellite through the lack of line of sight.

Fair point, but I suspect there are a lot of households who do not have smart TVs, and if DAZN’s business model requires maximum penetration to bring in the necessary income, it makes sense to provide a linear broadcast channel as an alternative.

jfman 18-03-2023 14:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36148426)
Fair point, but I suspect there are a lot of households who do not have smart TVs, and if DAZN’s business model requires maximum penetration to bring in the necessary income, it makes sense to provide a linear broadcast channel as an alternative.

Anyone can buy a fire stick for about £25, OB.

OLD BOY 18-03-2023 18:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36148430)
Anyone can buy a fire stick for about £25, OB.

Older TVs don't have scart sockets, and most people would not know how to get around that problem.

cheekyangus 18-03-2023 19:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36148443)
Older TVs don't have scart sockets, and most people would not know how to get around that problem.

Older TVs DO have SCART sockets, newer TVs don't.

I think you mean HDMI Old Boy.

OLD BOY 18-03-2023 20:11

No, I meant the scart sockets that preceded the HDMIs.

Not all old TV sets have scart sockets. I hadn’t realised that either until one of my neighbours asked me for some advice. Of course those TVs that do have one are not compromised because you can use a converter.

There is a workaround, but I suspect that most people would not bother.

https://www.switchhelp.co.uk/faq_noscart.html

jfman 18-03-2023 20:22

Jeez OB they’ve been doing HDMI on TVs since the early 2000s. Sky and Virgin haven’t included them by default on STBs for years. If we are pandering to folk with 20 year old technology we will never get to 2035.

Paul 18-03-2023 22:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36148448)
Not all old TV sets have scart sockets.

You mean museum pieces, with CRTs ?
SCART was standard for TVs since around the start of the 1980's, until eventually overtaken by HDMI.

Hugh 18-03-2023 22:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36148448)
No, I meant the scart sockets that preceded the HDMIs.

Not all old TV sets have scart sockets. I hadn’t realised that either until one of my neighbours asked me for some advice. Of course those TVs that do have one are not compromised because you can use a converter.

There is a workaround, but I suspect that most people would not bother.

https://www.switchhelp.co.uk/faq_noscart.html

Fire Sticks have a HDMI connector, not a SCART connector.

OLD BOY 18-03-2023 23:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36148456)
Fire Sticks have a HDMI connector, not a SCART connector.

I think we all know that, Hugh. But of course you can buy a Scart to HDMI Converter.

---------- Post added at 23:50 ---------- Previous post was at 23:46 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36148451)
Jeez OB they’ve been doing HDMI on TVs since the early 2000s. Sky and Virgin haven’t included them by default on STBs for years. If we are pandering to folk with 20 year old technology we will never get to 2035.

It’s the government’s job to sort that out, not the broadcasters. In the meantime, the broadcasters have to get workarounds.

Having said that, those people who want to watch premium sport have probably already overcome that problem.

Hugh 19-03-2023 09:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36148463)
I think we all know that, Hugh. But of course you can buy a Scart to HDMI Converter.

---------- Post added at 23:50 ---------- Previous post was at 23:46 ----------

It’s the government’s job to sort that out, not the broadcasters. In the meantime, the broadcasters have to get workarounds.

Having said that, those people who want to watch premium sport have probably already overcome that problem.

The point is that you appeared to be stating that people with older TVs would need a SCART socket for a Fire Stick, which had a HDMI connector, and that some "older" TVs wouldn’t have SCART sockets.

And considering SCART sockets first appeared on U.K. TV in the late 70s, even that assertion appears misaligned with actuality…

1andrew1 19-03-2023 09:39

I too am still struggling to see why OB mentioned TVs not having scart sockets when the only device we've discussed here uses HDMI.

OLD BOY 19-03-2023 10:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36148472)
The point is that you appeared to be stating that people with older TVs would need a SCART socket for a Fire Stick, which had a HDMI connector, and that some "older" TVs wouldn’t have SCART sockets.

And considering SCART sockets first appeared on U.K. TV in the late 70s, even that assertion appears misaligned with actuality…

Did you not read my link?

Hugh 19-03-2023 10:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36148482)
Did you not read my link?

Your link is irrelevant to the original point you were making, in reference to Fire Sticks, that older TVs (by which you must mean pre-1980's) didn't have SCART sockets...

OLD BOY 19-03-2023 10:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36148483)
Your link is irrelevant to the original point you were making, in reference to Fire Sticks, that older TVs (by which you must mean pre-1980's) didn't have SCART sockets...

I believe it was jfman who raised the issue of fire sticks.

Anyway, I accept that people who subscribe to Sky Sports or BT Sport already have newer TVs, so yes, the Scart/HDMI issue is not relevant.

I had not appreciated that about 99% of the UK population had fast broadband speeds right now. I guess the position regarding psople being left out of coverage as portrayed on this forum was not correct.

So all that needs to be done now is for the streaming technology to be improved. Clearly there are still problems (not that I have personally encountered any) judging by the number of people still apparently having issues with it.

jfman 19-03-2023 13:14

I merely pointed out how easy it is to make any TV manufactured after about 2005 “smart”.

OLD BOY 19-03-2023 13:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36148490)
I merely pointed out how easy it is to make any TV manufactured after about 2005 “smart”.

It was a valid comment, jfman. I’m sure that Hugh will accept that.

Had I said it of course…. :rolleyes:

Hugh 19-03-2023 15:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36148491)
It was a valid comment, jfman. I’m sure that Hugh will accept that.

Had I said it of course…. :rolleyes:

I accepted his point - your point had no relevancy, which is why I was questioning it...
:dozey:

OLD BOY 19-03-2023 19:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36148496)
I accepted his point - your point had no relevancy, which is why I was questioning it...
:dozey:

I don’t know what you are on about, mate, but honestly, I don’t really care. It’s just not worth the time.

Hugh 19-03-2023 20:47

It’s your age - don’t worry about it… ;)

Mr K 19-03-2023 20:50

Been watching 1970s 'Crown Court ' on Talkng Pictures lately, the legal points are almost as interesting as the scart/hdmi discussion on here...

Hugh 19-03-2023 22:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36148525)
Been watching 1970s 'Crown Court ' on Talkng Pictures lately, the legal points are almost as interesting as the scart/hdmi discussion on here...

I’m surprised that OB isn’t anti-SCART, as it’s French… ;)

(Syndicat des Constructeurs d'Appareils Radiorécepteurs et Téléviseurs)

1andrew1 22-03-2023 14:07

Soccer AM cancelled
Quote:

Sky has pulled the plug due to declining viewership and a desire to attract a younger audience. Soccer AM will be replaced by the Saturday Social in its 10.30am slot on Saturday mornings.

The Sun reports that Sky bosses told the Soccer AM staff of the decision on Tuesday. The staff will be made redundant at the end of the football season in May and the newspaper says that presenters Bullard and Fendley are understood to be "fuming" at the announcement.

A Sky Spokesperson said: “Soccer AM has played an important role in our coverage of football for the past three decades, and we continually adapt to the evolving needs of our customers.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...er-am-29521308

Aguero9320 23-03-2023 16:24

DAZN 1 HD launched on Sky 429.

Phunkenstein 24-03-2023 16:32

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cr...6-matches.html

Sky & DAZN to share IPL coverage

Media Boy UK 24-03-2023 23:32

DAZN UK to broadcast National Women’s Soccer League

https://www.digitaltveurope.com/2023...dazn-and-tigo/

---------- Post added at 23:32 ---------- Previous post was at 23:29 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phunkenstein (Post 36148710)

Sky Sports News did break news as "IPL 2023 season" so it maybe Sky just got IPL rights for this year with DAZN looking for a PSB Broadcaster for IPL 2024.

reddog 25-03-2023 13:19

Are Virigin in discussions with DAZN over getting the channel that has just launched on Sky?

OLD BOY 25-03-2023 14:10

https://www.tvbeurope.com/business/i...glish-football

[EXTRACT]

Having already secured the rights to Major League Soccer in the United States, Apple is reportedly turning its attention to English football.

According to Bloomberg, the company is considering bidding for both Premier League and English Football League rights. Neither Apple or the Premier League have commented on the report.

Premier League matches are currently broadcast in the UK by Sky Sports, BT Sport and Amazon Prime.

It’s thought that rather than securing all of the matches, as it has with MLS, Apple is more likely to bid on one or more of the packages available to broadcasters.

If it does set its sights on the Premier League, Apple is likely to face competition from sports streamer DAZN which is also keen to acquire games in order to break into the crowded UK sports broadcasting market.

OLD BOY 28-03-2023 15:01

https://advanced-television.com/2023...ribution-deal/

DAZN deal has been done with Virgin Media.

[EXTRACT]

As part of the newly agreed distribution deal, the DAZN event will be made available for Virgin TV customers to watch as a PPV add-on through their TiVo, V6, Virgin TV 360 or Stream set-top-box for £19.99. The purchase will include access to the fight as well as allowing customers to redeem one month’s access to DAZN’s full service via the DAZN app at no extra cost, which can be downloaded on smart TVs, games consoles and mobile devices.

Additionally, the entertainment companies have plans for DAZN’s app to be made available for download on selected Virgin Media set-top boxes in the near future. DAZN’s content also includes the UEFA Women’s Champions League, Misfits boxing featuring YouTube sensations KSI and Jake Paul, MMA’s Professional Fighter’s League and more.

1andrew1 31-03-2023 08:21

So much for the tech bros becoming big in sports TV!

Sky is set to be the biggest UK tennis broadcaster again with Amazon's audience levels found lacking by the ATP.
Observations that other rights holders will be taking note of. https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2023...return-to-sky/

TimeLord2018 31-03-2023 08:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36149004)
So much for the tech bros becoming big in sports TV!

Sky is set to be the biggest UK tennis broadcaster again with Amazon's audience levels found lacking by the ATP.
Observations that other rights holders will be taking note of. https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2023...return-to-sky/

Amazon apparently didn't bid either.

1andrew1 31-03-2023 10:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeLord2018 (Post 36149005)
Amazon apparently didn't bid either.

I suspect the viewing figures didn't work out for either party. Will be interesting to see Amazon's approach to the Premier League rights.

jfman 31-03-2023 11:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36149010)
I suspect the viewing figures didn't work out for either party. Will be interesting to see Amazon's approach to the Premier League rights.

Perhaps exiting the market I guess. From what OB posts there will be plenty of competition for the bargain basement rights from DAZN and Apple. The league might not even have to retender them next time.

OLD BOY 31-03-2023 12:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36149014)
Perhaps exiting the market I guess. From what OB posts there will be plenty of competition for the bargain basement rights from DAZN and Amazon. The league might not even have to retender them next time.

Think again, jfman.

https://www.mediamole.co.uk/entertai...ve_510149.html

[EXTRACT]

DAZN has reportedly made an audacious bid to broadcast the entirety of the EFL live on UK television starting from the 2024-25 season.

Sky Sports is the incumbent broadcaster of the EFL, paying around £119m a year for 138 games across the Championship, League One and League Two, the playoffs and the EFL Cup.

If successful, DAZN's bid would mark a ten-fold increase in the number of EFL games available to UK viewers, with all 1,656 matches from the three divisions being broadcast live.

jfman 31-03-2023 12:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36149017)
Think again, jfman.

https://www.mediamole.co.uk/entertai...ve_510149.html

[EXTRACT]

DAZN has reportedly made an audacious bid to broadcast the entirety of the EFL live on UK television starting from the 2024-25 season.

Sky Sports is the incumbent broadcaster of the EFL, paying around £119m a year for 138 games across the Championship, League One and League Two, the playoffs and the EFL Cup.

If successful, DAZN's bid would mark a ten-fold increase in the number of EFL games available to UK viewers, with all 1,656 matches from the three divisions being broadcast live.

It might as well be a completely different sport for all the relevance it has to Amazon’s extremely cheap Premier League rights.

£119m would buy about 15 Premier League games from the principal contracts held by Sky/BT.

OLD BOY 31-03-2023 13:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36149018)
It might as well be a completely different sport for all the relevance it has to Amazon’s extremely cheap Premier League rights.

£119m would buy about 15 Premier League games from the principal contracts held by Sky/BT.

Surely, this bid would cover the cheaper packages as well. DAZN wants it all.

Whether they will get it is another question, of course. But this does knock aside your view that there is no way the streamers could possibly take away the rights from Sky or BT. This bid proves that theory wrong. They are going for the jugular. Expect other competitive bids as well.

I understand why you thought the way you did, but here is the proof that the tectonic plates are shifting.

jfman 31-03-2023 13:39

You don’t know the difference between the Football League and the Premier League do you?

denphone 31-03-2023 13:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36149020)
You don’t know the difference between the Football League and the Premier League do you?

Do you want to explain or shall l.;)

ozsat 31-03-2023 14:37

The Football League consists of teams where the players want to play.

The Premier League consists of teams with lots of players who are overpayed and many only appear for the gauranteed money.

:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36149020)

OLD BOY 31-03-2023 16:41

Oh, curses!! :rolleyes::D:D

For some reason, I thought the headline read EPL!

jfman 31-03-2023 18:03

It’s easy to get caught up in the hype, OB.

However no need to worry I’m as ever standing by with my bucket of cold water.

Hugh 31-03-2023 19:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36149031)
Oh, curses!! :rolleyes::D:D

For some reason, I thought the headline read EPL!

Strangely enough, what you actually posted stated

Quote:

Sky Sports is the incumbent broadcaster of the EFL, paying around £119m a year for 138 games across the Championship, League One and League Two, the playoffs and the EFL Cup
Did you read all of those as the EPL? ;)

OLD BOY 31-03-2023 19:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36149041)
Strangely enough, what you actually posted stated

Did you read all of those as the EPL? ;)

I repeated it, yes, but I was obviously word blind at the time!oops:

Hugh 31-03-2023 21:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36149042)
I repeated it, yes, but I was obviously word blind at the time!oops:

Please accept my thanks for this new explanation for any future erroneous postings.

"I wasn’t wrong, I was merely "word blind" at the time…"

or

"I was, in a sense, ambushed by word blindness’"

or

my "word blindness" was essential for work purposes"

;)

OLD BOY 31-03-2023 23:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36149051)
Please accept my thanks for this new explanation for any future erroneous postings.

"I wasn’t wrong, I was merely "word blind" at the time…"

or

"I was, in a sense, ambushed by word blindness’"

or

my "word blindness" was essential for work purposes"

;)

Oh, stop it , Hugh, for heaven’s sake.

jfman 01-04-2023 00:04

The DAZN proposals for the EFL convince me more that my view - the current packages of rights favour the incumbents and stifle the prospect of new entrants - is correct.

They are clear that for their bid to succeed they need all of the games not just a subset of rights that - for Sky or BT certainly - would be secondary rights to the Premier League or Champions League. Games in uncontroversial timeslots to pad out schedules.

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/...sso_ott=hdvcd8

The £200m the league are targeting - adjusted for inflation - dwarfs the £315m three year deal that buried ITV Digital (about £554m in today's prices). The last time someone positioned the EFL as a premium product it collapsed spectacularly, pushing clubs to the brink. I do note however that they are proposing deals of up to five years, depending on the bids, something that would give stability to a new broadcaster. Again a nudge that I'm sure prospective bidders would like to push the Premier League in the direction of.

These rights would be extremely helpful for DAZN in filling their new linear schedule with 3/4 games a weekend, 2/3 games on midweeks carried live. Highlights shows, magazine shows and the bread and butter of cross promotional content to highlight what else they have on and promote their app. As Sky do now during Formula One - download the app and get enhanced content, driver on boards, etc. etc.

1andrew1 01-04-2023 13:06

There's certainly sufficient EFL fixtures around to help fill DAZN's content gap during the footy season. The question is more whether the extra subscribers and advertisers will cover the rights and production costs.

ozsat 01-04-2023 13:24

Need to sort out the Registratioin process too - problems for new 'DAZN on Sky' customers getting access to OnLine site and apps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36149084)
There's certainly sufficient EFL fixtures around to help fill DAZN's content gap during the footy season. The question is more whether the extra subscribers and advertisers will cover the rights and production costs.

jfman 01-04-2023 13:46

My money would be in buying EFL rights at that level would be entirely loss making on it’s own. It would however start a critical base of football fans (avoiding the “start from zero” problem with Premier League or Champions League rights.

It’d mean getting lesser packages - the Amazon bargain bucket plus one game per week, or one game per Champions League round of fixtures might be viable as they’d have content every week.

1andrew1 01-04-2023 14:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36149087)
My money would be in buying EFL rights at that level would be entirely loss making on it’s own. It would however start a critical base of football fans (avoiding the “start from zero” problem with Premier League or Champions League rights.

It’d mean getting lesser packages - the Amazon bargain bucket plus one game per week, or one game per Champions League round of fixtures might be viable as they’d have content every week.

I agree such an approach would make sense. Could DAZN get the EFL rights on a global basis?

However, in the absence of an additional upsell like gambling, I think DAZN like BT Sport will struggle to make money in the UK if not beyond.

Dingbat 01-04-2023 15:33

If they do want to stream every EFL game, they’d be looking at 30+ matches on any Saturday, with each needing production/broadcast teams and commentators. Would spreading themselves so thinly on the ground be viable?

As it currently stands, EFL have iFollow but that uses local radio feeds for commentary - usually BBC. Would DAZN want to continue with this, or have their own, I wonder.

OLD BOY 01-04-2023 20:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dingbat (Post 36149089)
If they do want to stream every EFL game, they’d be looking at 30+ matches on any Saturday, with each needing production/broadcast teams and commentators. Would spreading themselves so thinly on the ground be viable?

As it currently stands, EFL have iFollow but that uses local radio feeds for commentary - usually BBC. Would DAZN want to continue with this, or have their own, I wonder.

Yes, we wonder, but if they pull this off, it’s a plus for football fans, is it not?

jfman 01-04-2023 23:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36149091)
Yes, we wonder, but if they pull this off, it’s a plus for football fans, is it not?

Is it? Another subscription driving up costs in a cost of living crisis?

These billions that multinational conglomerates aren’t donations. They are investments. Future revenues to be extracted from the end users.

OLD BOY 02-04-2023 12:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36149092)
Is it? Another subscription driving up costs in a cost of living crisis?

These billions that multinational conglomerates aren’t donations. They are investments. Future revenues to be extracted from the end users.

Everyone has a choice, a subscription isn’t compulsory. At least people will get to see their games.

It costs rather more buying a ticket and turning up for the match.

jfman 02-04-2023 13:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36149105)
Everyone has a choice, a subscription isn’t compulsory. At least people will get to see their games.

It costs rather more than buying a ticket and turning up for the match.

Of course that wasn’t your original question, and neither is it the basis upon which DAZN are bidding for the rights.

Nobody, anywhere, would object to additional genuine choice being introduced into the marketplace. Or games in addition to those already available being made available in separate packages.

Being lower cost than attending games is a red herring. The cost of attending the US Masters over 4 days would be thousands of pounds. That doesn’t make Sky Sports worth thousands of pounds next weekend.

Dingbat 02-04-2023 16:17

A quick trawl of iFollow suggests EFL fans who want to watch their teams currently pay £10 a game. That doesn’t include Saturday 3pm games, which are currently blocked.

So a 46-game season of league football would set you back £460 if the block was lifted, which is more than many teams charge for a proper season ticket.

ozsat 03-04-2023 05:59

US pay $13 per match or $33 for the whole month. I would expect a season ticket could be offered too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dingbat (Post 36149110)
A quick trawl of iFollow suggests EFL fans who want to watch their teams currently pay £10 a game. That doesn’t include Saturday 3pm games, which are currently blocked.

So a 46-game season of league football would set you back £460 if the block was lifted, which is more than many teams charge for a proper season ticket.

jfman 03-04-2023 07:33

If it costs that much for our second tier rights in a secondary market that doesn’t bode well for the cost here.

Media Boy UK 03-04-2023 17:03

EFL selects Sky Sports as preferred rights bidder

Sky Sports has beating Interested reported from DAZN, Viaplay, and Warner Bros. Discovery (TNT Sports) to be name "preferred rights bidder" by EFL.

https://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/broad...180791.article

Dave42 03-04-2023 17:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy UK (Post 36149142)
EFL selects Sky Sports as preferred rights bidder

Sky Sports has beating Interested reported from DAZN, Viaplay, and Warner Bros. Discovery (TNT Sports) to be name "preferred rights bidder" by EFL.

https://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/broad...180791.article

glad be no extra subscriptions needed it too expensive now as it is

jfman 03-04-2023 18:22

That’s a shame for DAZN it almost sounded like they were going to go for semi-meaningful rights.

denphone 03-04-2023 18:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 36149144)

Indeed Dave.

Media Boy UK 03-04-2023 20:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36149150)
That’s a shame for DAZN it almost sounded like they were going to go for semi-meaningful rights.

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36149151)
Indeed Dave.

Maybe the EFL broad was thinking about what happen with the ITV Digital deal back in 2002.

But DAZN has got deal with EFL outside the UK.

1andrew1 03-04-2023 20:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36149019)
I understand why you thought the way you did, but here is the proof that the tectonic plates are shifting.

Sky's exclusive EFL talks show conclusively that the plates remain as they were.

1andrew1 03-04-2023 22:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 36149144)

It may not be another subscription, but if EFL rights costs rise from £119m per season to an anticipated £200m per season, then expect to be tapped up for that increase.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...TV-rights.html

TimeLord2018 06-04-2023 07:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36149159)
It may not be another subscription, but if EFL rights costs rise from £119m per season to an anticipated £200m per season, then expect to be tapped up for that increase.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...TV-rights.html

They will probably say the launch of Sky Sports Tennis (it exists in Italy) is the reason for a price increase.

Rillington 06-04-2023 11:15

If Sky does manage to secure the ATP Series events then Sky Sports Tennis would be very justifiable. Iirc it looks likely this will happen as Amazon seem to have decided to withdraw from broadcasting tennis.

1andrew1 06-04-2023 13:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rillington (Post 36149397)
If Sky does manage to secure the ATP Series events then Sky Sports Tennis would be very justifiable. Iirc it looks likely this will happen as Amazon seem to have decided to withdraw from broadcasting tennis.

That makes sense. From what I've read, it may not entirely have been Amazon's decision.

1andrew1 09-04-2023 00:23

Next Premier League rights tender may be the last as it considers cutting out TV companies.
Quote:

The Premier League are discussing in the future ditching their multi partners including Sky Sports and BT Sport and showing games on their own platform.

It’s likely there will be just one more multi partner deal before the Premier League cut out the middle men and run the show themselves. It will be devastating for Sky who have helped build the Premier League to the financial colossus it is today after joining forces at its inception in 1992.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...-plan-29660799

Paul 09-04-2023 00:50

Given the stupid amounts they pay (about 1.2 billion per year) I wonder just how much Sky makes in profit out of it (you need about 4.5 million yearly subscribers just to get your money back).

jfman 09-04-2023 20:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36149560)
Given the stupid amounts they pay (about 1.2 billion per year) I wonder just how much Sky makes in profit out of it (you need about 4.5 million yearly subscribers just to get your money back).

I don’t know what the figures look like now but around 10 years ago they reported around 6 million Sky Sports subscribers. Customers on Virgin Media added around another half million.

More recent accounts have far less granularity. Ratings aren’t even as good a proxy as they used to be as with more games being added fans are more selective about what they watch.

Anecdotally illegal streams seem more popular than any previous piracy options since the ITV Digital gold card.

1andrew1 09-04-2023 20:57

The Premier League will have its work cut out to make more money from customers than it has done by selling broadcasting rights to Sky, BT and Amazon. And the only way of seeing whether people like DAZN would be prepared to pay over the odds for TV rights would be an auction.

That is of course assuming its intention is to maximise income and not to try and devise a more cost-effective solution for fans.

jfman 09-04-2023 22:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36149606)
The Premier League will have its work cut out to make more money from customers than it has done by selling broadcasting rights to Sky, BT and Amazon. And the only way of seeing whether people like DAZN would be prepared to pay over the odds for TV rights would be an auction.

That is of course assuming its intention is to maximise income and not to try and devise a more cost-effective solution for fans.

The league might take their steer from Sky, the one company that perhaps knows more about the television market for Premier League rights than they do, that the value of the rights is falling in the current form despite the deep pockets of big tech.

If the route is to maximise income by selling every game then it’s likely clubs will want to reevaluate distribution/sales models to season ticket holders, club members and the population at large.

It might not necessarily bump the overall value, but if the big clubs can seize a bigger slice of the pie that’d have consequential impact on their share price and negotiating power for a European Super League.

1andrew1 09-04-2023 23:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36149609)
The league might take their steer from Sky, the one company that perhaps knows more about the television market for Premier League rights than they do, that the value of the rights is falling in the current form despite the deep pockets of big tech.

If the route is to maximise income by selling every game then it’s likely clubs will want to reevaluate distribution/sales models to season ticket holders, club members and the population at large.

It might not necessarily bump the overall value, but if the big clubs can seize a bigger slice of the pie that’d have consequential impact on their share price and negotiating power for a European Super League.

Agreed.

Usual reader comments in the press along the lines of how it would be great if the Premier League would let me just subscribe to matches my team plays in.

As soon as you get that type of subscription in place you can link the income to specific clubs and the likes of Arsenal and United will understandably push for their share of the cake having a better relationship to the TV rights income they receive. And if clubs are not selling via Sky with its cross-promotional opportunities, they may prefer a direct broadcasting relationship with their supporters too so they can upsell replica kits, stadium tours, etc to them.

I can see benefit in the Premier League in selling directly in overseas markets where the value of the rights is less clear and it may not get the prominence on sports channels that it wants. I'm less convinced about the benefits of doing so in the UK market.

jfman 09-04-2023 23:16

Oddly, I’m less convinced of the international market.

Secondary rights don’t hold much value in any market. Foreign leagues are a nice add on to pad out a subscription and largely interchangeable. The EPL buys into an exceptionalist mantra living in its own echo chamber.

Dingbat 10-04-2023 19:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36149613)
Oddly, I’m less convinced of the international market.

Secondary rights don’t hold much value in any market. Foreign leagues are a nice add on to pad out a subscription and largely interchangeable. The EPL buys into an exceptionalist mantra living in its own echo chamber.

The EPL is massive in the Far East, with most games broadcast live (even 3pm kick-offs, which are blocked here).

jfman 10-04-2023 20:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dingbat (Post 36149656)
The EPL is massive in the Far East, with most games broadcast live (even 3pm kick-offs, which are blocked here).

I don’t doubt people watch it. I doubt they’d put their hands in their pocket for it on a standalone subscription if the Bundesliga, La Liga, etc. were in their basic packages.

ozsat 11-04-2023 06:05

The US have every EPL game live too. A couple are usually on main stream channels - but the rest are on NBC Peacock.

An annual subscription to Peacock is only a little more than a monthly subscription to Sky Sports.

1andrew1 11-04-2023 07:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozsat (Post 36149662)
The US have every EPL game live too. A couple are usually on main stream channels - but the rest are on NBC Peacock.

An annual subscription to Peacock is only a little more than a monthly subscription to Sky Sports.

Comsat (NBC) pays a fraction of the UK rights costs per match as they are secondary in the US. But good to see the League getting exposure there with some matches on the main channels.

TimeLord2018 05-05-2023 18:32

EFL announces broadcasting deal with Sky Sports
https://www.skygroup.sky/article/efl...ith-sky-sports

jfman 05-05-2023 19:18

The inevitable rise of the streamer continues apace.

denphone 05-05-2023 19:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36151289)
The inevitable rise of the streamer continues apace.

It will happen one day.;)

1andrew1 05-05-2023 19:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeLord2018 (Post 36151284)
EFL announces broadcasting deal with Sky Sports
https://www.skygroup.sky/article/efl...ith-sky-sports

Good news at last for Everton. :D

---------- Post added at 19:38 ---------- Previous post was at 19:37 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36151290)
It will happen one day.;)

Y=X + 5 years. ;)

Dingbat 06-05-2023 11:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36151294)
Good news at last for Everton. :D

And Southampton.

And, hopefully, either Leeds or Leicester.

:D

Media Boy UK 06-05-2023 17:39

I have not seen this being reported on the web:

My TiVo says Sky Sports Action are broadcasting United States Football League (USFL) live every weekend.